Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

:ssh: Gologle is really bad at videogames.

I know you have a relentless hateboner for the guy but he's right on that part, it doesn't "add up" because it simply doesn't work that way and even then it's working under the assumption that Balthier's normal attack is the one that finishes off almost every enemy. If Vaan, Balthier and Penelo all hit an enemy and Penelo kills it, it's 100% irrelevant whether or not Balthier's attack took 0,2 seconds longer or whatever.

Even in longer fights it's such a miniscule difference that it's only optimizing damage in theory, in practice the difference might as well not exist since it takes quite a few attacks before you "lose" one due to the delay and even then we're talking about the difference of a few seconds at most. If you're that insane about optimizing time then you're probably not playing the game normally in the first place.

The only time I can think of where it might make a very small difference is if you fight Yiazmat in vanilla XII for two hours, but in IZJS you can break damage limits so in that version even that doesn't apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ramza's opponent in dissidia should be marche

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
lmao so i went with the no mages plan as promised. My end job makeup is this

Vaan: Hunter
Penelo: Monk
Ashe: Uhlan (Can I just call it Dragoon?)
Basch: Samurai
Fran: Breaker
Balthier: Machinist

the lack of any early-game spells is kind of a worry but i doubt it'll be anything too challenging. I guess Samurais can learn black magic? or some kind of magic. There's a shitload of magick potency on Basch's board and idk what it's for because there are no spells!

i think it will be interesting to see at least how far I can get with it. ty for the input guys.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Uhlan (Can I just call it Dragoon?)

The design team picked a different soldier name because they had no Jump command.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Katanas factor magic as well as strength into attack damage, that's why Ashe maxing both makes her the best Samurai.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

ramza's opponent in dissidia should be marche

it should be that kid with the pizza blade and the clovers and the billion accessories, because i want to see how that translates to 3d

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jesus, does every D node in Titan's Trials have another Cieth Stone that I'm assuming will activate when I've done the trials? All of a sudden doing every hunt doesn't sound so enjoyable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Jesus, does every D node in Titan's Trials have another Cieth Stone that I'm assuming will activate when I've done the trials? All of a sudden doing every hunt doesn't sound so enjoyable.

There's over 50 of them and about 5 monsters aren't just resizes or palette swaps. It's not hugely entertaining.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oxxidation posted:

There's over 50 of them and about 5 monsters aren't just resizes or palette swaps. It's not hugely entertaining.

Yeah but I can blow through them, I'm just sick enough of all the teleporting animations and walking for Titan's Trials without the game hiding yet more hunts in there that you can't do until afterwards.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I beat Lightning Returns. This was kind of a NG+ since I ran out of time on my first try so I was pretty overpowered for most things and didn't really have any trouble. Except for the final form of the last boss, which took me multiple tries since I couldn't stagger him with my setup and just hacking away at him would have taken hours. I finally just overclocked twice while spamming Aerora and that did the trick.

Overall, pretty fun game. I did pretty much all of the sidequests this time and unlocked the extra dungeon, although I only went down a few floors. How does XIII-2 compare to this? I've only played a couple hours of XIII, so I don't really have any point of comparison for that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

From what I can tell, XIII-2 offers the superior sidequesting experience. It's probably the best overall game for just having fun in the trilogy,to be honest. You have infinite time to do everything, you can rewind time to do things over, get different endings and so-on.

It's a very open-ended game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah but I can blow through them, I'm just sick enough of all the teleporting animations and walking for Titan's Trials without the game hiding yet more hunts in there that you can't do until afterwards.

Even assuming you're well enough equipped/leveled, you'll have to go through Titan's trials multiple trials as there are separate end-cap bosses you'll have to work your way through which require you to rebeat all previously completed trials on the way there. The other issue is that the Titan's Trials, and the missions in FF13 in general, don't really provide a clear guideline of how tough they will actually be. Two end bosses are easier/earlierly occurring enemies in the game than the fights before them while others are super-powered machines of destruction you need heavy upgrading to even last a few seconds with.

Good luck if you plan to do it, and make sure you death spam the poo poo out of neochu for the growth egg.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Barudak posted:

Even assuming you're well enough equipped/leveled, you'll have to go through Titan's trials multiple trials as there are separate end-cap bosses you'll have to work your way through which require you to rebeat all previously completed trials on the way there. The other issue is that the Titan's Trials, and the missions in FF13 in general, don't really provide a clear guideline of how tough they will actually be. Two end bosses are easier/earlierly occurring enemies in the game than the fights before them while others are super-powered machines of destruction you need heavy upgrading to even last a few seconds with.

Good luck if you plan to do it, and make sure you death spam the poo poo out of neochu for the growth egg.

Yeah, that's the PITA I'm whining about. :v: I'm just burned out because I did all that and now I have to dive back in yet again because there are non-trial Cieth Stones in the trial are because gently caress you. Though I hacked to max level after beating Orphan so the Neochu is a, what, 8-10 minute fight legit? (:ssh: It's the other Neochu that grants the egg anyway.) A pain but a fun challenge. "Blow through" was in reference to the ~50 boring palette swaps Oxxidation warned.

E: poo poo that post got rambling, don't post at 1:45 AM, kids.

Speaking of burnout, though! I just did some chocobo breeding in FF7 to grab Mime for Ruby. Except I did all that, realised I had to master Counter to guarantee that it counters, and saw how much AP it would take vs. how much even Movers drop. Yeah, I'm done with 7 until the remake.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

From what I can tell, XIII-2 offers the superior sidequesting experience. It's probably the best overall game for just having fun in the trilogy,to be honest. You have infinite time to do everything, you can rewind time to do things over, get different endings and so-on.

It's a very open-ended game.

On the other hand, I remember that one village place just being wall to wall aggravation in 13-2. And there's just too many sidequests, they sort of dominate the game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just did the first couple of eidolon fights in FF Explorers and I think this game is pretty good and Japan is a bunch of jerks for making GBS threads all over it.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Just did the first couple of eidolon fights in FF Explorers and I think this game is pretty good and Japan is a bunch of jerks for making GBS threads all over it.

Diabolos is a bitch fight.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm certainly enjoying Explorers quite a bit. The skill system is a little clunky but it's nice to be able to somewhat customize stuff. I kinda wish there were more skill trees so that jobs felt a little more unique to each other but for what it is, the game works. I especially appreciate that it's a lot less "work" to play than a Monster Hunter game.

And yeah, Diabolos was a jerkass. Fenrir too for that matter.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

On the other hand, I remember that one village place just being wall to wall aggravation in 13-2. And there's just too many sidequests, they sort of dominate the game.

Well yeah, it has the X-2 problem where 100%'ing it is totally not worth it. But some of the sidequests are pretty good and silly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

Well yeah, it has the X-2 problem where 100%'ing it is totally not worth it. But some of the sidequests are pretty good and silly.

It had more charm than 13, I'll grant it that. It almost makes the setting interesting.

FF13 never could decide on a setting. The first game is Cocoon and Pulse, the second game is basically all Pulse, third game appears to be a totally different place entirely...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It had more charm than 13, I'll grant it that. It almost makes the setting interesting.

FF13 never could decide on a setting. The first game is Cocoon and Pulse, the second game is basically all Pulse, third game appears to be a totally different place entirely...

The third game takes place in a whole new world created after XIII-2.

There is basically no consistenty between games in terms of worldbuilding. Well, I guess the mythology is consistent or whatever, but XIII did so much to establish Cocoon society and then XIII-2 has none of that and the world is destroyed but then it's not destroyed because people managed to make entire new cities and

It is pretty dumb. None of the games really follow where the last one left off, not really.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Cocoon was a neat concept.

If they had spent their budget on FF13 creating a huge hollow earth that I could fly space ships around inside and fight weird robot animal flying machines and sweet ice lesbian motorbikes, it may have been a great game. But they spend all this time building up a world that you barely see. It's so obnoxious, I go to some pretty garden place or a cool forest place and its all meaningless and linear.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The third game takes place in a whole new world created after XIII-2.

There is basically no consistenty between games in terms of worldbuilding. Well, I guess the mythology is consistent or whatever, but XIII did so much to establish Cocoon society and then XIII-2 has none of that and the world is destroyed but then it's not destroyed because people managed to make entire new cities and

It is pretty dumb. None of the games really follow where the last one left off, not really.

I like that every 13-related game ends with the player instigating the collapse of human society. Really makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Also icymi Wildlands is Academia 1000

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 2, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tempo 119 posted:

I like that every 13-related game ends with the player instigating the collapse of human society. Really makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Also icymi Wildlands is Academia 1000

Final Fantasy 13-4: Now It's Hope's Turn To Destroy Society Somehow.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

And yeah, Diabolos was a jerkass. Fenrir too for that matter.

Real talk, I see MH's Diablos whenever someone mentions Diabolos.

Here's MH's Diablos:

He has a tendency to charge and burrow underground in the middle of a loving hot desert, and yet he's not even the worst monster in said desert.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
what's the best version of final fantasy v? it seems good but i dont know if the gba translation is actually good, or what. also is the re-translation of ff6 worth playing? ive never played the snes version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The GBA translation is not only actually good, it's very highly-regarded. Come for the gameplay and job system, sure, but FF5 is otherwise a drat dry game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The GBA translation of FFV is top-notch, injecting humour (if sometimes cheesy) into an otherwise bland plot. It's also the definitive version, with a bit of new content over the SNES version and without the poo poo graphics and few strange changes of the iOS version (plus ofc savestates and turbo).

For FF6, either SNES or GBA is fine. They have different translations, and a lot of people have nostalgia for the SNES one but GBA is perfectly fine especially as an introduction to the game. The main choice is if you want a bug-free version (GBA) or to abuse the bug in the SNES version that makes MBlock/MEvade pull double duty for magical and physical evasion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only reason to not play the GBA version of FFV is if you desperately need an official version of FFV on an iOS device for whatever reason, or you're a weirdo like me and want to play it co-op with someone else (in which case you need the SNES one).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I beat Lightning Returns. This was kind of a NG+ since I ran out of time on my first try so I was pretty overpowered for most things and didn't really have any trouble. Except for the final form of the last boss, which took me multiple tries since I couldn't stagger him with my setup and just hacking away at him would have taken hours. I finally just overclocked twice while spamming Aerora and that did the trick.

Overall, pretty fun game. I did pretty much all of the sidequests this time and unlocked the extra dungeon, although I only went down a few floors. How does XIII-2 compare to this? I've only played a couple hours of XIII, so I don't really have any point of comparison for that.

they're really nothing alike apart from some of the characters. caius ballad is the bad guy for 13-2 so you get a lot more of him hamming it up, i guess.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
thanks. i'll check out the GBA versions and maybe get the snes music mods ive heard about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I decided to download A Realm Reborn and play the 14-day trial just to see what the fuss is about.
poo poo.
I think I might actually be enjoying an MMO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So what character is best in each of the classes in FFXII International anyway, by the most needlessly over-optimized metric possible? And why?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Augus posted:

So I decided to download A Realm Reborn and play the 14-day trial just to see what the fuss is about.
poo poo.
I think I might actually be enjoying an MMO.

I played a trial a while ago and had the same reaction. I don't play games often enough to justify the monthly fee, but it's really decent.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FF14 is worth it to go 1-50 and see the basic storyline. You might even be able to manage this with your free month

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bongo Bill posted:

So what character is best in each of the classes in FFXII International anyway, by the most needlessly over-optimized metric possible? And why?

Most of the time people look at who can have the highest relevant stats for the class at level 99 (including bonuses from equipment available to that class), so for example people say Ashe is the best samurai since she can hit 99 Atk and mag. But honestly that's stupid because you're probably not going to get to level 99, and if you do it's irrelevant whether you have "optimized" stats because you should be stomping everything anyways.

Here, look at this post I made on GameFAQs six years ago holy poo poo: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/52876031

It summarizes what jobs can use what weapons (and what stats those weapons depend on). A few posts later is a list of what each character's max stats are, so you can kinda figure out what characters will be use each job's weapons. For example, Breaker uses axes, hammers, and handbombs, which all use a combination of strength and vitality. Fran is actually a good choice because she has the best vitality.

Personally, I like to avoid putting people in a job with licenses that overlap their defaults. Vaan, Balthier, and Fran all start with steal, so it feels wasteful to put them in a job with steal. Basch always starts with Libra, so I try not to put him in a job with Libra. This tends to spread these useful skills out to more people on your team.

But really, anyone can use any job. The equipment a job can use tends to boost the important stats, so even Balthier or Basch can do well as a White Mage because of their equipment bonuses alone, while Penelo can bust heads as a Knight just fine..

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So once more, I'm back to going through LR. Reading the little loading blurb about the Oracle Drive doohickey I found made me realize that, well, people in the Warren- maybe everywhere in this new country/city-state/etc- are loving dumb mainly for going "Oh, this thing says this'll happen so best not do anything to change it, even as this woman who's gonna make this happen runs around committing genocide to the Niblets and Gremlins". Special note to how I only stopped two deaths out of the 901 daily ones or whathaveyous by killing a few small monsters in pursuit of getting timing down.

Is this supposed to make me feel a bit empathetic towards Lightning? Because if I was in a reality where my sis's fiance becomes evil and is in charge of a religious city to a point of declining common sense, I'd lean towards Miss Genocider With The Pink Hair.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pRNoNgG65Pk7sGQFlM3-g591q57Qvu46BU2oaV8p7qY/edit?pli=1

Enjoy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gotta love that even the author of that guide has this to say:

quote:

I’ve come to the conclusion that this game is just not worth min/maxing. It doesn’t implement the mechanics necessary to contrast what’s ‘best’ from what’s not. The general consensus seems to be that anything works and that it is more about knowing what items (and when) to go after and weaknesses/gimmicks in certain bosses than team comp or stats. It’s a shame because I’ve really enjoyed learning the intricacies of the game, but enjoyable =/= worthwhile.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

widespread posted:

So once more, I'm back to going through LR. Reading the little loading blurb about the Oracle Drive doohickey I found made me realize that, well, people in the Warren- maybe everywhere in this new country/city-state/etc- are loving dumb mainly for going "Oh, this thing says this'll happen so best not do anything to change it, even as this woman who's gonna make this happen runs around committing genocide to the Niblets and Gremlins". Special note to how I only stopped two deaths out of the 901 daily ones or whathaveyous by killing a few small monsters in pursuit of getting timing down.

Is this supposed to make me feel a bit empathetic towards Lightning? Because if I was in a reality where my sis's fiance becomes evil and is in charge of a religious city to a point of declining common sense, I'd lean towards Miss Genocider With The Pink Hair.

I'm not sure what your point is. Snow is in charge of Party Town, not Religious Town. Religious Town is led by the Order and is all about God worship in preparation for the End of Days. Snow's city is all about strippers and hedonism to forget the fact everyone is hosed.

None of these things should make you feel more strongly one way or another to Lightning I don't think.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure what your point is. Snow is in charge of Party Town, not Religious Town. Religious Town is led by the Order and is all about God worship in preparation for the End of Days. Snow's city is all about strippers and hedonism to forget the fact everyone is hosed.

None of these things should make you feel more strongly one way or another to Lightning I don't think.

... oh right. For some reason I thought Snow was in Religious Town. My mistake. Still, burn down Religion Town :black101:

On a bigger note, I dunno how to feel about this game. Obviously I yelled about it before. But then you get poo poo like Meow-Meow Choco Chow and this:

I should prob'ly just commit to treating this like some Way of the Samurai or Yakuza or Shenmue or any usual Japanese-developed Open World game. Or just stay in Party Town because golly gee it feels better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So, to stave off impatience for IZJS HD and/or finding a way to make that loving patcher:argh: work, I've started planning out my team. I already know for sure that:
Vaan: Monk
Penelo: Black Mage
Ashe: Uhlan

As for the others, I'm tentatively thinking:
Basch: Archer
Fran: Machinist? The guide says it gets Time Magic, does that include good stuff like Haste or is it mostly useless?
Balthier: White Mage

I know that almost any team is fine, but that's a decent spread? I'm not missing anything that will make my life significantly easier or unnecessarily doubling up on anything?