Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

:siren: http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/fr-FR/game-info/map/yacht.aspx :siren:

Not available on the en-US site yet, but

quote:

In the Baffin Bay, a luxury yacht has crashed into an iceberg breaching the hull. Rainbow has been sent to secure the stranded vessel as an unidentified submarine has docked near the vessel.

I really hope the docked submarine is also in play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Kapkan bug is great and absolutely how it should have been from the start. If the big-rear end screw jutting from the wall isn't enough to clue you in, you shouldn't get bailed out by the pity laser. Also, it gives IQ a reason to exist.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Laser sights should have the Kapkan effect.
Most of the maps are super dusty.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Vengarr posted:

The Kapkan bug is great and absolutely how it should have been from the start. If the big-rear end screw jutting from the wall isn't enough to clue you in, you shouldn't get bailed out by the pity laser. Also, it gives IQ a reason to exist.

Yup, make kapkan traps harder to see and let IQ see laser sights and active cell phones on her scanner.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Laser sights should have the Kapkan effect.
Most of the maps are super dusty.

They already do for a short range, probably about the length of a doorway as well. It's hard to see but its definitely there. It would be cool to see it extended on dusty maps though, or when a door has just been breached and its all clouded

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

The Duggler posted:

They already do for a short range, probably about the length of a doorway as well. It's hard to see but its definitely there. It would be cool to see it extended on dusty maps though, or when a door has just been breached and its all clouded

Or through smoke. But laser sights are bad enough already, few people use them. This would make the situation even worse.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Liberatore posted:

Or through smoke. But laser sights are bad enough already, few people use them. This would make the situation even worse.

Agreed, it would really help if they could be toggled on or off. But then there would be no downside to it and it would just be a 200 renown gun tax on every gun

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
And the grip isn't a 50 renown tax? I sort of get constant-on lasers for shield users for the sake of balance but I think it's the dumbest thing on assault rifles. Every time I see someone try to snipe with a laser sight on their rifle I just :psyduck:

I personally would love to spend 200 renown just to have the drat thing attached to my rifle and turn it off for the whole round because it looks cool and gives me something to unlock.

Then again I am also the person that wishes there were flashlights in this game despite the risk of that being the worst thing ever so what do I know

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Agreed, it would really help if they could be toggled on or off. But then there would be no downside to it and it would just be a 200 renown gun tax on every gun

So like grips?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

yellowjournalism posted:

And the grip isn't a 50 renown tax? I sort of get constant-on lasers for shield users for the sake of balance but I think it's the dumbest thing on assault rifles. Every time I see someone try to snipe with a laser sight on their rifle I just :psyduck:

I personally would love to spend 200 renown just to have the drat thing attached to my rifle and turn it off for the whole round because it looks cool and gives me something to unlock.

Then again I am also the person that wishes there were flashlights in this game despite the risk of that being the worst thing ever so what do I know

if they worked like in BF tactical flashlights would be pretty good on shotguns/SMGs, so you can blind the gently caress out of people at close range

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Apparently the trap is a giant mat, as expected: http://imgur.com/a/MqxBF

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Ooh Arctic camo.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Watching the article 5 cinematics made me really bummed out theres no single player campaign in this game. The intro made me really hate the bad guys and itching to kick some rear end, and the outro was really badass with the whole "We're bringing Rainbow six back" thing.
How come they cancelled RB6: Patriots? Also, how come singleplayer tactical FPS'es have gone out of style?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Foehammer posted:

I was kind of hoping it'd also deploy a little spotlight to illuminate it just in case someone somehow managed to miss it. Like kaptraps.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Still the bigger question is how easily is it removed from play.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
hopefully you can just toss some barbed wire over it, also i like to think it works like a glue trap, just massive double sided tape to stop those pesky attackers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GyverMac posted:

Watching the article 5 cinematics made me really bummed out theres no single player campaign in this game. The intro made me really hate the bad guys and itching to kick some rear end, and the outro was really badass with the whole "We're bringing Rainbow six back" thing.
How come they cancelled RB6: Patriots? Also, how come singleplayer tactical FPS'es have gone out of style?

Tactical Shooters as a single player endeavor run into issues with AI stupidity and being able to effectively coordinate your AI teammates. Since online-play is much more common now, it lets them skip the whole thing and just make one team a squad of players. If there were going to be a squad based tactical game, it now ends up more like XCOM where it's a strategy game instead.

I played the old Rainbow 6 games a bunch, but honestly the multiplayer was a lot more fun for me than the single player, because I hated trying to herd my team into not doing stupid poo poo. The terrorists all having wall and aim hacks really didn't help much. :saddowns:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

GyverMac posted:

Because Patriots was garbage no one wanted. It was supposed to be a cover shooter ala Gears of War with a story about Occupy Wall Street protesters being super terrorists or something. Cancelling Patriots and replacing it with Siege was the best thing to happen to the Rainbow Six franchise in awhile.

I honestly like the situations and think they suffice as a more directed singleplayer component. If they wrapped it in some big conspiracy story and added persistent operator death, it would have been a proper Rainbow Six campaign.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
yeah those campaigns were fun but once you played them once who ever played them again?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I still occasionally play SWAT 4 scenarios 11 years after it was released, so I'd play the gently caress out of randomly generated or user-defined Rainbow Six missions.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

suboptimal posted:

I still occasionally play SWAT 4 scenarios 11 years after it was released, so I'd play the gently caress out of randomly generated or user-defined Rainbow Six missions.

if there were community generated scenarios or, even better, a built in randomize/editor, I might change my tune.

but as it stands, there's enough bugs in this game without the singleplayer haha. I can't get over how fun this game in spite of some really shoddy crap. Minecraft all over again.

Three months ago this game was barely on my radar and I was so amped for the Star Wars DLC. Thank god I didn't waste the money on a season pass for that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Also, how come singleplayer tactical FPS'es have gone out of style?

I hate to break it to you but they were never in style. They were an even rarer breed than mid-2000s space sims. Rainbow, Ghost Recon and SWAT. That's about it, aside from a few one off things that never went anywhere, most of which weren't very good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it's kind of crazy how much of a surprise this game was.

As for randomly generated singleplayer content, doing t-hunts lone wolf kinda fits the bill, just not a lot of fluff to it. Community generated situations would be amazing.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Jehde posted:

Yeah it's kind of crazy how much of a surprise this game was.

As for randomly generated singleplayer content, doing t-hunts lone wolf kinda fits the bill, just not a lot of fluff to it. Community generated situations would be amazing.

I don't think I'd have even tried it if it weren't for my friend harassing me about it and it being on sale for $35 on PSN store.

all that just reminded me of is how much of a pain in the dick it is to rent games to try now, and no one does demos anymore.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Foehammer posted:

Woooooow :downs:

So this it how it feels to be patronized. I actually believed it would be a small bear trap. What I got now is a "Welcome" door mat. This has reached the point now where I am getting insulted by the devs. What's the thought process behind this descission? This game is clearly developed for single-cell organism.

gently caress you Ubisoft Montreal.

If that thing now can be destroyed, with three or less melee hits, I doubt there even is a thought process.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Paradigmata posted:

So this it how it feels to be patronized. I actually believed it would be a small bear trap. What I got now is a "Welcome" door mat. This has reached the point now where I am getting insulted by the devs. What's the thought process behind this descission? This game is clearly developed for single-cell organism.

If that thing now can be destroyed, with three or less melee hits, I doubt there even is a thought process.

^^^ goons.txt

maybe try playing a game with it first before declaring that the devs do not have thought processes?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

whoknew posted:

^^^ goons.txt

maybe try playing a game with it first before declaring that the devs do not have thought processes?

I'm sorry but I know everything I need to know from one low res screenshot tyvm

Orv
May 4, 2011
While he said it like an idiot, I don't think he's off base that it'll end up the same as Kapkan; an easily avoided non-threat that makes you wonder if the devs are just super bad at the game or something.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
gently caress you too man. :allears:

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

whoknew posted:

^^^ goons.txt

How so, I was commenting on the visuals, which is clearly indicated by the picture they want to have it as obvious as Kapkan traps, which are pretty much useless due to this exact fact.
The last sentence I started with "IF", which should tell you that this will be my opinion, once I tested it myself and it will play out as mentioned.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Paradigmata posted:

check this wicked sick post out

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hard posted:

gently caress you too man. :allears:

:v: I'd love to hear a dev viewpoint on the design though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Orv posted:

I hate to break it to you but they were never in style. They were an even rarer breed than mid-2000s space sims. Rainbow, Ghost Recon and SWAT. That's about it, aside from a few one off things that never went anywhere, most of which weren't very good.

There were also cool less-beloved ones like Brothers in Arms that weren't exactly the "breach and clear" types.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

This game is flaming garbage and everyone involved in its creation is a war criminal. I can't stop playing it :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Plan Z posted:

There were also cool less-beloved ones like Brothers in Arms that weren't exactly the "breach and clear" types.

Brothers In Arms was cool but as a tactics game it amounted mostly to flanks and occasionally a grenade. Great games, but nothing complex.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I like single-player in these types of games, because it's sort of like extreme sports games or Devil May Cry/Metal Gear Rising in that's fun go back and make your runs as efficient as possible. At least that's why they're replayable to me. Unfortunately, anything before like Rainbow Six 3 looks like hot garbage these days.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

eh the original rainbow 6 all you had to do (even on super hard) was just run around with Ding Chavez and wreck everything, literally never needed another character to move.

It was extremely fun to do the setup the first few times and have things go flawlessly. Also, multiplayer was amazing, good lord were people so bad at video games then, I think I ran into maybe 5 players on The Zone that could actually give me a run for my money, had to go to ladder's and tournaments for a real challenge (and even then people generally weren't very good).

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Isn't Brothers in arms the game where the main character/devs didn't know how iron sights works?
I remember you having to guesstimate where the rifle would hit because you just wouldn't hold it correctly.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

black ice launching tonight at midnight or tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Orv posted:

:v: I'd love to hear a dev viewpoint on the design though.

Was replying to Para who seemed really angry about a picture on the internet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion really it's just hard to take seriously when it's voiced in such manners. I'm all love for SA though, if i want to punch my screen i'll go on the official ubi forums.

At the risk of sounding vague the dev viewpoint can be applied to a lot of other jobs out there. After working on something for so long you might start to lose focus and/or perspective. Theres hits and then theres misses, this is why the feedback of the community is so important. You guys will be your own judge soon :)

As from my personal point of view i'll be happy to discuss about it once the DLC goes live.

• Locked thread