Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pseudorandom name posted:

no, I was making fun of Wind River (well, except they exclusively deal in ISOs)

they also prefer #define'd constants evaluated at runtime to conditionals that suck up a cycle of execution time and they're absolutely right to do it that way given their domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i work with a legit 10x developer and he's a phenomenal cockhole. we went through a massive design exercise and were starting to write code when he decided to basically redesign the whole thing and write it by himself, invalidating a whole bunch of work that the rest of the team did

please teach me how to undermine him at every opportunity and make him feel like poo poo about his job

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
is he really a 10x programmer if he's subtracting a bunch of productivity from everyone else?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Technically that makes him only a 10x programmer, he needs to start helping and working with the team to be a 10x developer.

If the project is small it is a difficult situation to be in as his holistic view may be beneficial but the manager should pick up on this and not assign him group projects.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

abraham linksys posted:

we use docker in development and it's the loving worst and everything is slow and the build cache is bad and i want to die

has anyone actually had a positive experience with this poo poo

yeah it's loving amazing for development, but it takes a while to get used to it and it's rly painful at first

if there are speed issues something is probably wrong; not sure what you mean about the build cache being bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm a 20x programmer. my secret?

work well with others.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
also he uses the word "codeline" all the loving time and i keep wanting to tell him that the word doesn't loving mean anything

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Soricidus posted:

is he really a 10x programmer if he's subtracting a bunch of productivity from everyone else?

i understood that to be the most popular method of becoming one, yes

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

:bernin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

i understood that to be the most popular method of becoming one, yes
also known as rtx-coders

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
haha yeah boss idk why these chucklefucks don't have any output, here i did everything bc i stayed up until 3am welp gonna head out bye

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
is that the same type of 10x guy who commits all of his code directly to trunk before there's ever a code review?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Barnyard Protein posted:

haha yeah boss idk why these chucklefucks don't have any output, here i did everything bc i stayed up until 3am welp gonna head out bye

We have a guy like that and I constantly overhear my boss talking about how they're gonna try to keep him from rewriting an entire project over the weekend.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

We have a guy like that and I constantly overhear my boss talking about how they're gonna try to keep him from rewriting an entire project over the weekend.

when he does it, don't deploy the code. ever.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i work with a legit 10x developer and he's a phenomenal cockhole. we went through a massive design exercise and were starting to write code when he decided to basically redesign the whole thing and write it by himself, invalidating a whole bunch of work that the rest of the team did

please teach me how to undermine him at every opportunity and make him feel like poo poo about his job

fail his code reviews

big monster commit? rejected, reverted, pls break into chunks

normal sized commits? question where the hell this is going when you agreed to do other thing

trillions of tiny commits? pick them nits

don't make it personal, but when you commit dickhole things you shouldn't expect everyone else to swallow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just be careful not to make an 11x coder out of it, that will be even more of a titan to bring down

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
those good suggestions would work best if there is an actual development process that is supported by the management. but dollars to donut the 10x dude is like the gingivitis goblin poisoning the mind of that nasty-old-man king in one of the lord of the rings movies

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Barnyard Protein posted:

those good suggestions would work best if there is an actual development process that is supported by the management. but dollars to donut the 10x dude is like the gingivitis goblin poisoning the mind of that nasty-old-man king in one of the lord of the rings movies

grima wormtongue.

theoden.

jesus

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

craisins posted:

grima wormtongue.

theoden.

jesus

lol

I thought the original criticism for that plan was going to be that it can't work when there is zero code or quality review process before going into trunk (hello all my jobs), but this was better

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Barnyard Protein posted:

sort of except my boss admitted to me today that while 10x dude can move mountains he (my boss) loving hates that everyone else has to clean up the rubble

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Blinkz0rz posted:

Does he describe himself as a 10x developer? Is this a thing where everybody rates themselves as an above average driver without regard for their actual skill level?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

no he's generally a smart guy he's just a really good programmer

can't work with other people for poo poo tho

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Jabor posted:

Branch delay slots are actually really hosed up, sorry.

Also conditional moves (and really anything that lets you do branchless logic) is cool and good

branch delay slots are a gross, but it's about as bad as arm's pc skewing nonsense (except delay slots are more predictable, since they're context insensitive

conditional instructions are kinda neat, i guess, but branch predictors are way better now, so the tradeoff of encoding space isn't worth it anymore. it's also not very RISCy and they were removed in a later MIPS revision it looks like??

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

craisins posted:

grima wormtongue.

theoden.

jesus

don't sign your posts, god

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Blinkz0rz posted:

i work with a legit 10x developer and he's a phenomenal cockhole.
if you mess the other developers in your team up enough for them to become 0.1x developers you've essentially become a 10x developer! it's all relative, man!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
OOP exists because if you encapsulate all the 10x developers enough it's harder for them to poo poo all over everyone else's code.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Same but microservices

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

no he's generally a smart guy he's just a really good programmer

can't work with other people for poo poo tho

i'm srs about the code reviews even if you probably shouldn't be passive aggressive

whatever 'quality' is determined is collectively, not individually, and code reviews are supposed to be normative. sometimes this means 10x is gonna convince you, which is good, because it forces him to teach or gtfo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the new project.json format for visual studio is way better than what they had before. now if they could only switch to using xml and then add build plugins.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
they will move to project.yaml in 5 years
after 5 years the js hipsters will have moved to a different format, because yaml-schema has made everything too complex and bloated and surely there must be a better way

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

json > xml >>>> fixed-width file formats > yaml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xml is better than json. the only thing that makes json usable in vs 2015 is they added a bunch of json schema tooling.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

b0lt posted:

branch delay slots are a gross, but it's about as bad as arm's pc skewing nonsense (except delay slots are more predictable, since they're context insensitive

conditional instructions are kinda neat, i guess, but branch predictors are way better now, so the tradeoff of encoding space isn't worth it anymore. it's also not very RISCy and they were removed in a later MIPS revision it looks like??

Woah, what is program counter skewing? Sounds bad :ohdear:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

meatpotato posted:

Woah, what is program counter skewing? Sounds bad :ohdear:

if you access pc, you get the wrong value, because of historical reasons:

quote:

In ARM state, the value of the PC is the address of the current instruction plus 8 bytes.
In Thumb state:
For B, BL, CBNZ, and CBZ instructions, the value of the PC is the address of the current instruction plus 4 bytes.
For all other instructions that use labels, the value of the PC is the address of the current instruction plus 4 bytes, with bit[1] of the result cleared to 0 to make it word-aligned.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
pseudo-json with unquoted keys/single quotes/comments/trailing commas (which is usually just evaluated as javascript) is okay to edit

hand-editing "real" json is a pain in the rear end

yaml has a ton of edge cases that are annoying but it's still what I go to for hand-edited nested data (something flat I'd probably use some INI-type thing)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

kalstrams posted:

do you guys use github or bitbucket or something else for your private shame repos?

i use github for my shame repo and then i was applying for jobs and they wanted to see code and i was like i cant show them my lovely yospos userscript

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

abraham linksys posted:

pseudo-json with unquoted keys/single quotes/comments/trailing commas (which is usually just evaluated as javascript) is okay to edit

hand-editing "real" json is a pain in the rear end

yaml has a ton of edge cases that are annoying but it's still what I go to for hand-edited nested data (something flat I'd probably use some INI-type thing)

Hand editing real json is fine. Every text editor on the planet has support for folding and checking your format. Comments are the only thing really missing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

b0lt posted:

it looks like it was designed this way to signify the next instruction that would be fetched. this of course is only true if you have a 3-stage pipeline like the original arm cpu from the 80s

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

b0lt posted:

this is fixed in a64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Zaxxon posted:

Hand editing real json is fine. Every text editor on the planet has support for folding and checking your format. Comments are the only thing really missing.

well yeah, comments and schema

• Locked thread