Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

I know that wasn't field percent at tournaments but it's a similar concept. The amount of any given field a deck makes up skews t8 numbers and MODO X-0 and X-1 finishes the same.

Agreed. I think that people put way too much stock into finishes without considering actual win rates, which is why it's dumb that Wizards tries to keep win rate and matchup data from getting out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
what are the worst lands you can give someone with a vedalken plotter in modern?

tendo ice bridge having used the charge counter? crumbling vestige?

edit: contested war zone?

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

what are the worst lands you can give someone with a vedalken plotter in modern?

Forbidden Orchard?

Why are you trying to run Vedalken Plotter in Modern? I thought it had errata that said you were only allowed to play it in Zedruu EDH.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Molybdenum posted:

Boseiju in a deck you're not running counterspells in? Untaidake and Hall of the Bandit Lord are both pretty bad, too - you really want to give your opponent a land that's WORSE than a wastes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

Forbidden Orchard?

Why are you trying to run Vedalken Plotter in Modern? I thought it had errata that said you were only allowed to play it in Zedruu EDH.

it's a pretty funny way to gently caress with tron if you're not playing red or black I guess

e: although I don't know why you wouldn't play spreading seas instead unless you're playing blue tron

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Making a portion of your mana base be terrible cards so bad you wish your opponent was playing them doesn't seem like a great plan.

Elyv posted:

it's a pretty funny way to gently caress with tron if you're not playing red or black I guess

e: although I don't know why you wouldn't play spreading seas instead unless you're playing blue tron

It does seem kind of cute as a sideboard card for the blue tron mirror.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Turns out it's Vesuva:

It literally does nothing. Give your opponents a rock.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For those of you that stream live MTG or enjoy learning some behind the scenes stuff, Paul from Loading Ready Run did a stream explaining the system he put together that automatically recognizes cards and plugs them in to XSplit to help viewers follow plays.

If you want to see the system in action, it worked spectacularly in their stream of them playing their OGW prerelease decks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why use xsplit instead of obs tho

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Known modern legal card Sorrow's Path.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Its pure, unadulterated badness transcends all format barriers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

It's a cool design but was it ever even seriously playable?

Yeah, we used it back when 9th was in Standard.

For example.

It was the only one-cost choose-and-discard spell, mind. No Duress, and the other 1-cost discard options gave the opponent complete control. Distress and Castigate cost two (though Castigate was and is amazing anyway).

Or were even sadder.

It also helps it shared some time with Stupor and Rise & Fall.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

my favorite thing about Sorrow's Path is still that your opponent can tap it with an Icy Manipulator or whatever to clasm your board

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zoness posted:

Why use xsplit instead of obs tho

Because they're doing it professionally, and can afford and make use of the paid tools in XSplit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, we used it back when 9th was in Standard.

For example.

It was the only one-cost choose-and-discard spell, mind. No Duress, and the other 1-cost discard options gave the opponent complete control. Distress and Castigate cost two (though Castigate was and is amazing anyway).

Or were even sadder.

It also helps it shared some time with Stupor and Rise & Fall.

Why does that deck have a one-of Meloku with zero ways to cast or reanimate it?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
:tinfoil: time... I bought a Beta Icy Manipulator on eBay from a guy seems to be systematically selling NM/LP Alpha and Beta cards, which seems a bit odd to me. I suppose he could be a collector from way back, but being the paranoid person I am I want to make sure. I recently bought a jeweler's loupe, and from what I can tell the card seems to be legit, but I haven't handled many Beta cards. It feels a bit thinner than I'm used to, but so does the only other Beta card I have, a copy of.

Is there anything I'm missing on the images?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Name should be printed over the dots.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

JerryLee posted:

The funnier part of that article is that Hedron Crab was killed "for constructed reasons"

I can see and understand why (we're going into a return to Innistrad and thus probably graveyard shenanigans, and the delve synergy would be amazing for the brief period of time before rotation), but even so I find it kind of amazing that Hedron Crab is now too dangerous to exist for standard.

Hedron Crab.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

the Orb of Zot posted:

I can see and understand why (we're going into a return to Innistrad and thus probably graveyard shenanigans, and the delve synergy would be amazing for the brief period of time before rotation), but even so I find it kind of amazing that Hedron Crab is now too dangerous to exist for standard.

Hedron Crab.

With Shock about to rotate out, a turn 1 0/2 is just too hard to answer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

Hedron Crab.

To be fair, the issue is that Delve is kind of a broken mechanic, not the stupid crab.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Vesuva is probably the worst but also potentially Glimmer void.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Seat of the Synod is an instant game loss. Seems good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

To be fair, the issue is that Delve is kind of a broken mechanic, not the stupid crab.

It's sort of a devil you know vs. devil you don't thing, I suppose, but I'm not sold on the idea that Crab Delve would be that much more toxic to this standard than anything that already exists in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Seat of the Synod is an instant game loss. Seems good.

Island is strictly better than Seat of the Synod.

In modern.

JerryLee posted:

It's sort of a devil you know vs. devil you don't thing, I suppose, but I'm not sold on the idea that Crab Delve would be that much more toxic to this standard than anything that already exists in it.

We'd have turn 2 Bananamen or Treasure Cruises in a format that doesn't have any removal or counters.

Edit: Also why has Collected Company almost doubled in price over the last few days? Does everyone want to play that stupid green ranger standard deck?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So I got the proxies from China in. They make a great cube. They are thinner than regular cards and don't feel right, a bit floppier and not as firm, the color is a bit blue shifted as well. Otherwise they are fantastic and well worth the few bucks to get them. I am happy they are easily recognizable when you have them in your hands. There is no mistaking them for real cards.

A little spread of the good stuff.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

We'd have turn 2 Bananamen or Treasure Cruises in a format that doesn't have any removal or counters.

Edit: Also why has Collected Company almost doubled in price over the last few days? Does everyone want to play that stupid green ranger standard deck?

A significant portion of the last standard tournament was playing some variant of gross value company deck on top of the usual flood of Rally decks, including the second place finisher.

They seem to match up pretty well against some of the decks in the format like Jeskai Black that rely heavily on grinding out one-for-one removal with other forms of card advantage by just playing scads of medium sized creatures, some of which have built-in recursion. Even if you can keep a Jace up for a bit, it's really hard to Crackling Doom your way through a deck that can Collected Company to flip Den Protector to return a Deathmist Raptor to the battlefield and then get back Collected Company.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 2, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Onean posted:

For those of you that stream live MTG or enjoy learning some behind the scenes stuff, Paul from Loading Ready Run did a stream explaining the system he put together that automatically recognizes cards and plugs them in to XSplit to help viewers follow plays.

If you want to see the system in action, it worked spectacularly in their stream of them playing their OGW prerelease decks.

I've been thinking about making a browser plugin that lets you mouse over cards in a stream and pops up an autocard, except I don't have any actual programming skills so this is just a "man that'd be dope" kind of thing

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

You know, I don't know. I'm going to guess it was reported to the site wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

It's supposed to be a Mikokoro, Center of the Sea. Kamigawa was the block of dumb names no one could remember or keep straight. Woe be to the decklist transcribers.

Actually you see weird errors on decklist sites all the time. I remember recently wondering for a minute why a Grixis control deck was running some Darkslick Drakes of all things, and why it had such a low land count...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

It's supposed to be a Mikokoro, Center of the Sea. Kamigawa was the block of dumb names no one could remember or keep straight. Woe be to the decklist transcribers.

Actually you see weird errors on decklist sites all the time. I remember recently wondering for a minute why a Grixis control deck was running some Darkslick Drakes of all things, and why it had such a low land count...

Yes all those dumb japanese or derivative words that aren't "anime" or "waifu" are completely useless and dumb.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having a way to kill Hedron Crab doesn't actually prevent a turn 2 Tasigur. Also, Rally the Ancestors

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Molybdenum posted:

Glimmervoid. Bonus points because it's good for you if you have enough artifacts and even if you don't you can still play it on the same turn you swap it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes all those dumb japanese or derivative words that aren't "anime" or "waifu" are completely useless and dumb.

When many of those words sound very similar and come from foreign etymological roots, yes, for the purposes of the english speaking audience of magic the gathering, using somewhat similar sounding japanese-inspired names for everything in an entire block was a dumb decision.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Without consulting a chart, identify the following:

Kaho
Kaiso
Kentaro
Kenzo
Kiku
Kira
Konda
Kuon
Kuro
Kyoki

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Niton posted:

Without consulting a chart, identify the following:

Kaho
- the instant tutor guy who's also an Isochron Scepter or something
Kaiso
- the hard mario levels guy???
Kentaro
- the cat guy
Kenzo
?
Kiku -
night flower
Kira
- jellyfish
Konda
- isamaru's buddy
Kuon
- ogre who flips into The Abyss
Kuro
- demon
Kyoki ?

Easy. :colbert:

Just don't ask me what any of them actually do.

gonadic io posted:

Glimmervoid. Bonus points because it's good for you if you have enough artifacts and even if you don't you can still play it on the same turn you swap it.

But what if they have an artifact too?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

Easy. :colbert:

Just don't ask me what any of them actually do.

Clearly you know what Kaho does :colbert:

And I didn't even list all of them - there's still Keiga, Kumano, Kodamas (three of em!), Kiyomaro and Kokusho just for the Ks.

And you still missed three of them.

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 2, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

suicidesteve posted:

But what if they have an artifact too?

Then it's about the same as any other land :shrug:

If only thawing glaciers were modern legal... (not sure that's a sentence that has ever been said before)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Niton posted:

Clearly you know what Kaho does :colbert:

And I didn't even list all of them - there's still Keiga, Kumano, Kodamas (three of em!), Kiyomaro and Kokusho just for the Ks.

And you still missed three of them.

Yes, punish this man for not knowing bullshit unplayable garbage from ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
the Ks are much easier than all the loving snake names

• Locked thread