Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

For a lot of those old recordings the equipment they used was really bad at picking up low frequencies in a person's voice, so they sound higher than they actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Speak Softly...and carry a BIIIIG Stick!

Seems like more of an LBJ thing but I recognize the quote.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Lincoln was probably not gay. None of his contemporaries thought so, and the only biographer who thinks so is a gay author who wants to sell books

Yeah masculinity was not the same in the 18 and even early 1900s as it is today. Men sharing a bed for lengthy periods of time, being physically affectionate and writing each other what we would now mistake for love letters wasn't uncommon at all. The actual acts of "buggery and sodomy" were much more stigmatized but open male intimacy was much less so. And there's no mention of Lincoln banging or wanting to bang a dude so there's no real strong basis behind the gay rumors.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's also a ton of photos that would look gay as all hell today but we're totally fine at the time. Like so:

The stag boy dance!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jaramin posted:

For a lot of those old recordings the equipment they used was really bad at picking up low frequencies in a person's voice, so they sound higher than they actually were.

While that makes sense, only Woodrow and Franklin sounded at all firm and stately by my modern standards imho, there definitely seems to be a softer quality to the older accent; especially considering that half those men would have received their enculturation/accent over 160 years ago so it would be a very old accent indeed. I'm sure the transition of early colonials speaking with an identifiably British accent to modern folk speaking with a distinct regional accent is long and interesting.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, the accent transition is definitely a real thing. I saw a video awhile back that argued that most southern accents are much closer to the original colonizers' British accents than to other american accents. It's pretty fascinating how much the ties between languages and dialects can diverge without breaking too far.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Historical Fun Fact: The Hobbit was a documentary.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's also a ton of photos that would look gay as all hell today but we're totally fine at the time. Like so:

The stag boy dance!

I'm a gay and these are hilarious.

The olden days were gay as hell.

e: hahah Cow boy dance "STAG"

MonoAus has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Feb 1, 2016

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

hard counter posted:

I'm sure the transition of early colonials speaking with an identifiably British accent to modern folk speaking with a distinct regional accent is long and interesting.

You really think it's more likely that Americans added a shitload of R sounds in random places than that most British accents dropped them?

Anyway, the RP English accent is an extremely new innovation, so don't think George Washington spoke like a BBC newscaster.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Verus posted:

You really think it's more likely that Americans added a shitload of R sounds in random places than that most British accents dropped them?

Anyway, the RP English accent is an extremely new innovation, so don't think George Washington spoke like a BBC newscaster.

AFAIK it's the other way: British accents sounded similar to the contemporary American southern accent at the end of the 18th century.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

AFAIK it's the other way: British accents sounded similar to the contemporary American southern accent at the end of the 18th century.

I'd like to see people lose their poo poo at a historically accurate movie set in 18th century Britain where everyone has what sounds like an American South accent instead of the high-class British accents everyone has had in film since forever.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd like to see people lose their poo poo at a historically accurate movie set in 18th century Britain where everyone has what sounds like an American South accent instead of the high-class British accents everyone has had in film since forever.

Or start using the American Southern accent for upper-class Romans in historical pieces.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The North Tower posted:

Or start using the American Southern accent for upper-class Romans in historical pieces.

Wouldn't the Romans have sounded a bit more like Elmer Fudd?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Please tell me "Doc" was a common carthaginian form of address

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New archaeological evidence has shown that while the Aztec had no trouble eating captured conquistadors and their horses, pigs were just killed and thrown away.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Verus posted:

I didn't say an identifiably modern British accent, of which there are numerous regional subdivisions as well, just whatever it was they brought over and passed on to the earliest generations that eventually diverged enough from one another to become distinct regional American accents.

In a modestly related factoid, the elite classes of England mostly spoke French after the successful Norman invasion, or rather an Anglo-Norman French hybrid, that was used in a number of legal and literary works from the 11th to the 15th alongside Latin. Frequent marriages back to the continent also kept French strong in the nobility. Some scholars hold that it was one particularly nasty bout of black plague, which happened to unevenly attack tutors and other lower intelligentsia/support classes, that brought about a shift toward English as many gaps were created in society by the death toll. At the very least, the black death was probably responsible for the Great Vowel Shift wherein a major and broad change in English pronunciation led to some disparities, now oddities, between the spelling of a word and its actual articulation when speaking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

New archaeological evidence has shown that while the Aztec had no trouble eating captured conquistadors and their horses, pigs were just killed and thrown away.

What is it about pigs cultures unfamiliar with them instantly distrust? The Sentinelesse did the same thing with pigs that were placed on their island

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Aesop Poprock posted:

What is it about pigs cultures unfamiliar with them instantly distrust? The Sentinelesse did the same thing with pigs that were placed on their island

Aztecs would have noted at least a similarity to peccaries, which are pig-like animals native to Mexico. I'm not sure whether Aztecs thought of peccaries more as game or vermin though.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Pigs love their own filth, carry poo poo loads of awful parasites, and love to dig up and ruin crop fields. They also revert to violent wildlife pretty quick.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaramin posted:

Pigs love their own filth, carry poo poo loads of awful parasites, and love to dig up and ruin crop fields. They also revert to violent wildlife pretty quick.
They are perfectly willing to attack and eat you, and they're not only mean they're smart enough to give that teeth

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shakespeare sounded like a pirate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
or rather the stereotypical pirate accent is very similar to the way people spoke back in the Elizabethan era.

This has probably been posted at least 20 times in this thread but I give few fucks.

canyoneer posted:

Lincoln was probably not gay. None of his contemporaries thought so, and the only biographer who thinks so is a gay author who wants to sell books

I mean I've heard a lot about Lincoln being as gay as old dad’s hatband but I've never really read up on the issue.

Next you're going to tell me that neither Michelangelo nor Leonardo da Vinci were gay. I mean at least with them you have Leonardo being accused of sodomy and Michelangelo writing all those really passionate and homo-erotic poems to dudes.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Feb 2, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Shakespeare sounded like a pirate

It's called a west country accent.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not that they were or weren't but it's really hard to put our modern labels of sexuality on historical people. Especially in the renaissance, upper classes dudes loving dudes wasn't unheard of, just something you didn't talk about in polite company.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find the American Mid-Atlantic accent a strange thing - used by actors in American films up to the 1960s and beyond, even though hardly anybody spoke that way in America post World War 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not that they were or weren't but it's really hard to put our modern labels of sexuality on historical people. Especially in the renaissance, upper classes dudes loving dudes wasn't unheard of, just something you didn't talk about in polite company.

Probably because you could be executed or castrated for loving another dude.

I can totally see Michaelangelo as being at least closeted. A lot of the women on the Sistine Chapel look pretty masculine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

Probably because you could be executed or castrated for loving another dude.

I can totally see Michaelangelo as being at least closeted. A lot of the women on the Sistine Chapel look pretty masculine.

Michelangelo worked exclusively with male models and just added tits if the statue was supposed to be female.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Michelangelo worked exclusively with male models and just added tits if the statue was supposed to be female.

Was that out of choice, though? Plenty of contemporaries were capable of painting feminine physiques.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Plucky Brit posted:

Was that out of choice, though? Plenty of contemporaries were capable of painting feminine physiques.

It's because Michaelangelo is a party dude

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's safe to assume that everyone in the past loved the cock until we get some evidence to the contrary.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's called a west country accent.

It's pretty neat how Robert Newton really exaggerating his own accent for a film role could make that accent iconic and synonymous with piracy. Like imagine if Newton had been from Glasgow. All pirate movies would have subtitles in America.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The first patent for a door knob(as in the type you have to turn to open, not just a handle shaped like a knob) was awarded in 1878.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The can opener was invented 40 years after the tin can.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lord Lambeth posted:

What a frustrating time that must have been

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Plucky Brit posted:

As I recall, he simply preferred larger forms for his work. It might have been handy for art that's meant to be viewed at a distance (e.g. In the Sistine Chapel).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Geniasis posted:

What a frustrating time that must have been

I like to imagine people smashing them open with rocks and clubs. Grateful for the ability to store foods for almost endless amounts of time but enraged at having to lick the splattered flattened beans off a filthy rock.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They used a pick of sorts. To drink canned beer they'd punch two holes into the can and drink up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nimby posted:

They used a pick of sorts. To drink canned beer they'd punch two holes into the can and drink up.

So a church key?

I just figured they used knives before one of those was invented. Hell, I have two of them still in my apartment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If memory serves a lot of the time it was done with a screw driver and a hammer or something like that. Whatever was laying around that could punch holes in a can, really. That's fine for cans of juice or sauce but terrible for tinned meat or soup. If it could punch a hole in a can it was used to open a can at some point; eventually somebody figured "hey why don't we just cut the whole drat top off?"

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As I recall, he simply preferred larger forms for his work. It might have been handy for art that's meant to be viewed at a distance (e.g. In the Sistine Chapel).

I recall reading that the reason why so many of his female figures are shaped like a dude was because he always used male models.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LucyWanabe posted:

I recall reading that the reason why so many of his female figures are shaped like a dude was because he always used male models.

We already established that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Lord Lambeth posted:

I have a WW1 bayonet that never had an edge put on it. However, the first inch or so has many marks on it from opening rations. Little tiny scrapes from cutting into cans.