Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
For what it's worth, I forgot to mention that I actually was using SafeSysUpdater. I was having extremely poor luck with sysupdater 4.6, so I looked up SafeSysUpdater and kind of alternated between the two for about 30 minutes until SafeSysUpdater actually took, and then the downgrade corrupted :v:

Edit: For reference, it was the one from this post. https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

potaties fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
All versions of the sysupdater are unreliable. I've seen pretty much each and every version of it create a franken-firmware. Some easily recoverable since browserhax still worked, some that required a game update, some that required a game-based entry point, and some where the user was forced to use recovery because they couldn't even boot back into the home menu. There has also been a case where a user couldn't even use recovery mode (most newer versions of sysupdater prioritize the recovery mode related firmware files so that at least that should still work though)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think i've discovered one of the reasons why so many people can encounter errors during the 3DS downgrade and end up with half-downgrades and Frankenfirmwares. The automatic system update downloads can interfere with it. I've always used the Tubehax DNS to block the automatic downloads, which might be a reason why i've never ecountered any problems.

When the system downloads update data, it kind of pre-installs them, so the actual update process is just a quick title signature switch that takes seconds. This can apparently gently caress up the downgrading process somewhat fierce. It's a similar phenomenon to the old O3DS times when FBI injection into the Health&Safety app was first used. If you had automatic update data on your 3DS, the injection would fail. It also makes sense that some people kept experiencing soft-bricks during downgrade until they formatted their 3DS, which would of course also get rid of any lingering update data.

So if you have the update nag, you need to clear the update data first before you try to downgrade. Even if you don't have the nag, the 3DS can partially download update data and will only prompt an update if the update data is complete.

So basically, when following a downgrade tutorial, insert these two important steps:
* Before starting the downgrade, switch off your WLAN.
* Then restart the 3DS while holding R + L + Up + A to boot into Recovery Mode. Decline the update here and all update data should be deleted.

Maybe NerdsMcGee can add this to the OP somewhere, i haven't seen any of the usual downgrade tutorials mention this.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

I don't know how much :effort: I wanna put into it though.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Since so much has changed in the last 2-3 weeks (or so it seems). What's the ideal way to install a new CFW from 9.2 on a n3DS? Last time I did it, I upgraded to 10.3 and had to re-downgrade everything since that upgraded both my emuNAND and sysNAND which didn't seem like the correct thing to do.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

shaitan posted:

Since so much has changed in the last 2-3 weeks (or so it seems). What's the ideal way to install a new CFW from 9.2 on a n3DS? Last time I did it, I upgraded to 10.3 and had to re-downgrade everything since that upgraded both my emuNAND and sysNAND which didn't seem like the correct thing to do.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-9-0-9-2-n3ds-xl-for-cfw-including-10-4-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just checked the start of that guide and he recommends formatting your mSD with Windows' format function.

That's excellent advice if you want to drastically lower the life expectancy of your flash drive

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just went from 10.3 with menuhax installed to a 10.5 install without first selecting a system theme, and nearly bricked my n3DS couldn't see the home menu as a result, so word of warning for anyone else updating without using sysnand/emunand - remember to go back to a system theme first, otherwise the 3DS OS tries to load the menuhax theme, can't, and will just display a black screen (pressing power will still take you to the "click to shutdown or press home to go back to the home menu").

The solution is deleting the folder named 00000098 in extdata\00000000\, which is the home menu theme cache directory. This will reset the position of all your app/game icons as well as resetting the selected theme to the default white system theme.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I just went from 10.3 with menuhax installed to a 10.5 install without first selecting a system theme, and nearly bricked my n3DS as a result, so word of warning for anyone else updating without using sysnand/emunand - remember to go back to a system theme first, otherwise the 3DS OS tries to load the menuhax theme, can't, and will just display a black screen (pressing power will still take you to the "click to shutdown or press home to go back to the home menu").

The solution is deleting the folder named 00000098 in extdata\00000000\, which is the home menu theme cache directory. This will reset the position of all your app/game icons as well as resetting the selected theme to the default white system theme.

You can't brick your system with menuhax. At worst you have to delete some files from the SD card.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, or just remove the SD before powering on, then insert again when the Home Menu is running. Then select a basic theme to clear the menuhax data.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, yes, "bricked" was not the right word. :v:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I had good luck using this guide for my old 3ds recently (he points out all the files where the process diverges for the new one). I like it better than the one linked for the original 3DS in the OP because it is Homebrew Launcher based as opposed to Gateway based and I found it easier to follow along / less complicated. I also like that you have a better idea of what you have downloaded / are using vs. the all in one package in the other guide.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I don't know how much :effort: I wanna put into it though.

Crystal Quest would port pretty well if you can use the stylus as a mouse!

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I thought that emuNAND and sysNAND weren't to be affected by one or the other? Last time I downgraded, I was in emuNAND and I upgraded to 10.3 and it also upgraded my sysNAND. This time, I was in emuNAND and deselected a theme to deactivate menuhax for it and now I can't load menuhax on my sysNAND. Is this normal?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

HenryEx posted:

I just checked the start of that guide and he recommends formatting your mSD with Windows' format function.

That's excellent advice if you want to drastically lower the life expectancy of your flash drive

How does it lower the life expectancy?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Didn't realise there was a 10.5, does it still play nice with reinand?

Speaking of reinand, I think I might switch to it just to get rid of the annoying update messages and to get badge icons for folders back too I suppose. What are the differences between it and rxtools? Am I right in thinking reinand doesn't have region patching?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Didn't realise there was a 10.5, does it still play nice with reinand?

Speaking of reinand, I think I might switch to it just to get rid of the annoying update messages and to get badge icons for folders back too I suppose. What are the differences between it and rxtools? Am I right in thinking reinand doesn't have region patching?

10.5 works fine with Reinand.

Also, you are right in Reinand not having region patching built-in. That's not a big problem since you can just use Free multi patcher or NTR to get out-of-region games/DLC working if you need to.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Am I reading this right that if I have 10.5 my only realistic hack is to get ahold of cubic ninja?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Am I reading this right that if I have 10.5 my only realistic hack is to get ahold of cubic ninja?

Browserhax still works on 10.5 as an entry point, and you can install menuhax 2.2 that way for a permanent one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Is there a way to use NTR with Gateway in emunand?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

shaitan posted:

I thought that emuNAND and sysNAND weren't to be affected by one or the other? Last time I downgraded, I was in emuNAND and I upgraded to 10.3 and it also upgraded my sysNAND. This time, I was in emuNAND and deselected a theme to deactivate menuhax for it and now I can't load menuhax on my sysNAND. Is this normal?

In the tutorial i used (linked a few posts up) there is a step to unlink your emuNAND and sysNAND using TinyFormat. Did you do this? (If you did you should have two folders inside your Nintendo 3DS folder)

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Substandard posted:

In the tutorial i used (linked a few posts up) there is a step to unlink your emuNAND and sysNAND using TinyFormat. Did you do this? (If you did you should have two folders inside your Nintendo 3DS folder)

Thanks. I did follow that tutorial but didn't unlink my NAND. I thought I read earlier in the thread that it caused issues and the only advantage was that you can use the GBA firmware. I can unlink though if that'll solve my "unwrapped gifts" issue and this menuhax when booting into emuNAND issue.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

shaitan posted:

Thanks. I did follow that tutorial but didn't unlink my NAND. I thought I read earlier in the thread that it caused issues and the only advantage was that you can use the GBA firmware. I can unlink though if that'll solve my "unwrapped gifts" issue and this menuhax when booting into emuNAND issue.

If you have trouble with menuhax on linked NANDs, check out this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-menuhax-on-linked-nands.403441/
The basic idea is that your emuNAND loads a custom shuffle theme (could be only one theme, or twice the same if you don't actually want to shuffle), whereas 9.0 and 9.2 don't support theme shuffling and thus will load normal menuhax instead.

As for unwrapping gifts, you should not ever need to actually boot up sysNAND if you have a correctly set-up emuNAND. A boot manager will "catch" the sysNAND boot before the re-wrapping stage, allowing you to use any sysNAND exploits without actually entering the home menu.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Nintendo is supposedly blocking online features if your firmware is older than the current one. All custom firmwares except rxtools can be updated to 10.5. Make sure you back up your current emunand first before updating, it could save you a lot of headache in case something goes wrong.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Browserhax still works on 10.5 as an entry point, and you can install menuhax 2.2 that way for a permanent one.

I did this, and it worked fine, but I guess I shouldn't have bothered cause what I want to do is play MHX but can't run 3ds roms this way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

I did this, and it worked fine, but I guess I shouldn't have bothered cause what I want to do is play MHX but can't run 3ds roms this way.

It can't, no, you'll need to install a kernel-level hack for that. What you can do with it is bypass region-locking and load patches to physical games, which means you can buy a Japanese MHX copy and play it with a translation patch applied.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 2, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

MohShuvuu posted:

Nintendo is supposedly blocking online features if your firmware is older than the current one. All custom firmwares except rxtools can be updated to 10.5. Make sure you back up your current emunand first before updating, it could save you a lot of headache in case something goes wrong.

Doesn't rxtools work with 10.5 on an o3ds?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Doesn't rxtools work with 10.5 on an o3ds?

It does. Not with a n3ds though.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Yeah it should be fine on o3ds. I have a N3DS so I pretty much only follow news for that.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
OK I'm about to set up a friends o3ds tomorrow, hope she hasn't upgraded or anything without realising.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't messed around with the scene since 10.4 came out; can you still install CIA's on 10.5? I hate hate hate hate having to reboot to get into Homebrew launcher.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

I haven't messed around with the scene since 10.4 came out; can you still install CIA's on 10.5? I hate hate hate hate having to reboot to get into Homebrew launcher.

Assuming you have downgraded you system and are running a sysnand+emunand combo, you can safely update your emunand to the latest firmware and still install CIAs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yep I had done that already, thanks Andrast

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can the n3ds XL get downgraded? I'm on 10.3 if that matters. (Is downgrading what I want for SNES, Gens, and GBA roms?)

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Turtlicious posted:

Can the n3ds XL get downgraded? I'm on 10.3 if that matters. (Is downgrading what I want for SNES, Gens, and GBA roms?)

Yes. However, I see a lot of complaints about emulation. Virtual console titles seem to work fine, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SNES and GBA emulation on a downgraded n3DS is actually really good. Everything I've tried to run has worked perfectly.

I haven't tried Genesis though.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Andrast posted:

SNES and GBA emulation on a downgraded n3DS is actually really good. Everything I've tried to run has worked perfectly.

Yeah ever since I downgraded and then installed emuNAND and was able to run the emulators through cia's, I have been seeing much better compatability/speed out of SNES/GBA games.

edit: Can SDHC cards be used on a WiiU with the Wii portion hacked? Just to hold emulators and roms.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Andrast posted:

What emulator for SNES? And what games? I have... Not had the same experience.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MohShuvuu posted:

From what I read it was all FUD and nobody knows why whomever said that was banned. They claimed that 10.5 had mod check code in it which is flat out impossible, only the friend app was modified. Only thing people are known to be banned for is hacking badge arcade to get free pulls and even then it's only a ban to badge arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

shaitan posted:

Yeah ever since I downgraded and then installed emuNAND and was able to run the emulators through cia's, I have been seeing much better compatability/speed out of SNES/GBA games.

edit: Can SDHC cards be used on a WiiU with the Wii portion hacked? Just to hold emulators and roms.

Wii U mode doesn't use the SD card at all, except for certain games like Smash Bros. You can just leave an SD card with homebrew stuff for vWii in your system with no ill effects.

• Locked thread