Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

size1one posted:

I was kinda curious how much space two billion dollars worth of silver would take up. Thats roughly 2820 tons of silver. Which is roughly the size of a small house.

How large is it if they're paid in colloidal silver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For reference, here are some videos of Franklin Graham from right wing watch. (This is the person that the last 4 holdouts are requesting as their negotiator.)

"Franklin Graham says Christians must prepare for persecution and God'said judgement on America."
https://youtu.be/DUUcpunHSnc

"Franklin Graham warns spirit of Antichrist is in government, pushing us to end times."
https://youtu.be/0D0rt5QAPgA

For those who have read my Authoritarian thread I give you a demonstration of "Narrative Convergence".

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

stubblyhead posted:

Well there's this from the Oregonian. It doesn't say anything about the judge being a Mormon, just that he's the appellate judge on duty to hear reviews like this for the month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_W._Mosman

Well I'll be damned.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

eviltastic posted:

If you'd like a nice overview of just how deep the rabbit hole goes, here, take a gander at this opinion from a judge in Canada.

I'd differ from Prester Jane a bit and say the sovcit part of this isn't religion so much as it is magical thinking. There's overlap, but sovereign citizens are less like someone radicalized by a fire and brimstone sermon and more like someone sold on the One Trick that Judges Don't Want You to Know.

Thanks! I saw that quite a few pages back (I've been following this way too closely for my own good).

It wasn't so much an expression of not understanding as disbelief at the asinine nature of it all

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I should've figured that would've been posted long before now in this thread.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why do those four idiots still think they can negotiate? They have absolutely nothing the FBI wants. The only reason they're still around is because the Feds don't want to give the growing flood another potential martyr to point at.

Anyway, the situation has officially started to spiral out of control. They've got hundreds of armed zealots taking over a small town, demanding complete nonsense and ready to inspire others to do the same. Even Congress can't deny that groups like these have become real problems anymore. It'll take very little to tip this into a bloodbath if they aren't extremely careful.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Who gives a poo poo? A federal judge isn't going to randomly buy into Constitutional magic words just because he belongs to an abstract of the same God club.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

eviltastic posted:

I should've figured that would've been posted long before now in this thread.

To be fair, this thread is moving crazy fast

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Geostomp posted:

Even Congress can't deny that groups like these have become real problems anymore. It'll take very little to tip this into a bloodbath if they aren't extremely careful.

I believe you'll find that many in Congress consider these people their base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Geostomp posted:

Why do those four idiots still think they can negotiate? They have absolutely nothing the FBI wants. The only reason they're still around is because the Feds don't want to give the growing flood another potential martyr to point at.

Anyway, the situation has officially started to spiral out of control. They've got hundreds of armed zealots taking over a small town, demanding complete nonsense and ready to inspire others to do the same. Even Congress can't deny that groups like these have become real problems anymore. It'll take very little to tip this into a bloodbath if they aren't extremely careful.

on the first part. they probably arnt thinking. the best guess would be they hope the goverment doesnt want to waste manpower "digging them out" and a possible bloodbath. this is more so now that the town is full of nutjobs who have the citizens at their mercy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

size1one posted:

I was kinda curious how much space two billion dollars worth of silver would take up. Thats roughly 2820 tons of silver. Which is roughly the size of a small house.

I did the math and at the current gold price ($1,132.10 per ounce), $2 billion in gold would be 55.2 tons. So just a block the size of a Smart Car would do.

The large block is 100 tons.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Subterfrugal posted:

I believe you'll find that many in Congress consider these people their base.

Sure, but this base has now just become a full blown domestic terrorism event and is now menacing a city national television. By this point, distancing themselves from them is necessary if they hope to win votes from anybody less crazy. They've already got two despised assholes as their most likely candidates.

That said, November is nine months away and they could easily, probably accurately, guess that people will be too self absorbed to remember this by then.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Geostomp posted:

Sure, but this base has now just become a full blown domestic terrorism event and is now menacing a city national television. By this point, distancing themselves from them is necessary if they hope to win votes from anybody less crazy. They've already got two despised assholes as their most likely candidates.

That said, November is nine months away and they could easily, probably accurately, guess that people will be too self absorbed to remember this by then.

Look at this guy thinking the Republican party would bother with self-reflection, let alone have a mechanism to use that self-reflection to prevent right-wing extremism.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Subterfrugal posted:

Who gives a poo poo? A federal judge isn't going to randomly buy into Constitutional magic words just because he belongs to an abstract of the same God club.

People always get a bit weird when it comes to Mormons, I don't know. I think it's a general misperception of just how many Mormons there are, coupled with 'that strange religion/cult' views, so for some reason there's a big tendency to believe that all Mormons are a monolith and clearly share the same views on, err. Well, anything but religion (and even then, there's room for a lot of interpretation on certain things).

Self reported, so keep that in mind, but the LDS leadership reported membership of over fifteen million last April, worldwide. That's pretty small when you compare it to, say, Catholics (over a billion in 2012), but it's still a pretty significant chunk of people spread throughout a few hundred countries. To put it into an easier example, Harry Reid, Jon Huntsman, and Mitt Romney are all Mormon, and yet have wildly different politics (and reportedly aren't too terribly fond of each other either). I'm fairly sure all three of them would disagree pretty heavily with the Bundys.

I mean, pretty sure this isn't the first time a Federal judge has had a case with another Mormon in it either. But people get suspicious.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Oregon III% closed page;

quote:

Darrell Owen Barnard
6 hrs ·

If you are the ORIII% this is your time to step out from behind your computer screen, and/or your cell phone. This is the time to actually put you and that COOL t-shirt you bought out there and stand up. We have people, including myself, who have stepped up and assisted and/or have been directly involved in this opperation and others. I find a great deal of frustration in the fact that I see so many people putting memes up, saying III%4life, and buying T-shirts to prove it, yet never leaving their house to do, or support REAL III% ops, or even trying to co-op with one another in order to get enough fuel money to get to any action besides a m&g. Or bit chin because a range day is beneath them due to it not being a door bustin excercise. As Security and Tactical lead for this state I must see if you have the fundamental principles of firearms operations, along with the ability to follow instructions before I'll trust you in an intimate live fire senario, non the less a real life situation, anyone else who is serious about this and has experience with real life (not call of duty experience) totally agree on this. Bottom line is, it's high time to get off your butt and do something. Excuses are old, if you want to call yourself III% be III% get to Burns and/or support what needs to be done in order that we get our nation back into the hands of the people. There is a job for every skillset and a true need for all skillsets, even people who are disabled have a place, but only if they actually have a desire to make a difference and be REAL III%. I don't want to see a bunch of likes or BS responses, I want to see people become active. Get in touch with your zone leadership, get involved. We need to make some noise. We have 1500 members and about 3% of those claiming to be the III% act as much or more than they talk.

Oh but WAIT!! Blaine Cooper speaks (on a loving nutty call in show apparently);

https://soundcloud.com/trickthedjtoo-1/blaine-cooper-speaks-1292016

EDIT the comments are precious;

quote:

Debra Sweetie says at 22:26:

BLM is actually a sub-corporation of UNITED STATES INCORPORATED, a private foreign owned off-shore corporation since its last incorporation in 1925, copyrighted, trademarked and registered in Puerto Rico. Under the Reorganization Act of Washington District of Columbia, by it’s own private business charter, neither the BLM, nor any other federal/corporate agency has lawful/legal authority, jurisdiction or interstate nexus within the 50 state geographical landmass. *BLM, is actually classified as an: “Agent of Foreign Principle”, under the intergovernmental Personnel Act. *In other words, they don’t represent the Constitutional Republic or the interests of the American People but rather, a foreign owned principle i.e., the international banking/military corporate cartel of London City, England known as Crown Corporation as their supreme authority. *This has been openly admitted and exposed through Supreme Court cases since and even before 1938. People, this country is being sold out.

ChlamydiaJones fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kartikeya posted:

People always get a bit weird when it comes to Mormons, I don't know. I think it's a general misperception of just how many Mormons there are, coupled with 'that strange religion/cult' views, so for some reason there's a big tendency to believe that all Mormons are a monolith and clearly share the same views on, err. Well, anything but religion (and even then, there's room for a lot of interpretation on certain things).

Self reported, so keep that in mind, but the LDS leadership reported membership of over fifteen million last April, worldwide. That's pretty small when you compare it to, say, Catholics (over a billion in 2012), but it's still a pretty significant chunk of people spread throughout a few hundred countries. To put it into an easier example, Harry Reid, Jon Huntsman, and Mitt Romney are all Mormon, and yet have wildly different politics (and reportedly aren't too terribly fond of each other either). I'm fairly sure all three of them would disagree pretty heavily with the Bundys.

I mean, pretty sure this isn't the first time a Federal judge has had a case with another Mormon in it either. But people get suspicious.

The identical men wearing suits and ties that people see, or the history of getting into it with the federal government in history because we wouldn't let them have their harems and such probably does a lot to color people's conceptions. It doesn't help that they concentrate in insular communities and keep in one state either.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just a peaceful non violent intimate live fire exercise.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Lead out in cuffs posted:

We, the We The People of Harney County people, are facing off angrily with the people of Harney County.

We, the We The People of Harney Country subgroup of We The People, contest that the people of Harney Country are not real people but dwarfs, favored as crisis actors due to ease of transport, standing on each other's shoulders inside big coats to pass themselves off as people.

They are in fact Wee People :tinfoil:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Murderion posted:

We, the We The People of Harney Country subgroup of We The People, contest that the people of Harney Country are not real people but dwarfs, favored as crisis actors due to ease of transport, standing on each other's shoulders inside big coats to pass themselves off as people.

They are in fact Wee People :tinfoil:

Crivens!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

He just accidentally moved his money from a slightly pro-gay bank to a super-gay bank.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Now we know the reason the Bundy's were cutting down fences. They're after the sheep again :argh:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The identical men wearing suits and ties that people see, or the history of getting into it with the federal government in history because we wouldn't let them have their harems and such probably does a lot to color people's conceptions. It doesn't help that they concentrate in insular communities and keep in one state either.

Exceeept...they're not identical? They're not even wearing the same suits and ties, and suits and ties isn't exactly uncommon when you go to church. Or work. The history of getting into it with the Federal government regarding polygamy happened quite some time after a whole lot of violence at the local and state level (and yes, it wasn't all one sided), and the LDS church hasn't practiced polygamy in a very long time (and if you do practice polygamy? You get ex-communicated). Insularity is a thing that happens with all sorts of different populations, and is neither unique nor particularly rampant among LDS members (fundamentalist breakoffs are another matter, and usually because they DO practice polygamy), although certainly it exists. And err. Mormons live throughout the world, which would include every single state in the US. There are a ton of Mormons in Utah for really really obvious reasons (which frankly, I think causes its own issues of the conflating politics and religion variety), but Mormons are hardly sparse in other parts of the country.

So yeah. Misconceptions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mormons are just Evangelicals with strong central governing, extra fluff lore, special class armor and a perk that gives +3 charisma in exchange for housing 7 of the churches skeletons in your closet.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Or put another way: they are bigger assholes, but mostly at an admin level.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of the Mormons I know are very nice people but in also pretty sure they'd vote to kick all democrats out of the country.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The saddest part is that this town will always be known where the sov shits made their stands

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Prester Jane posted:

Took me quite a while to dig up, but here it is. (Phoneposting so i cant embed) https://youtu.be/jBs_2qw1PJ8

Pete Santilli streamed this meeting that took place on January 19th. The whole thing is worth watching if you want to feel your sympathy for the militants melt away. Over 50 militants crashed a town hall meeting and you can instantly see the tension their presence causes. Nervously they are invited to sit down and Ammon makes a point of refusing to sit like a petulant child. It just rolls along from there with tons of bully behaviour like Santilli mocking speakers by making blow job motions. People try every way possible (from polite requests to chants of "go go go go") to get the message across that the militants are not welcome, but they are unphased.
Thank you! I was looking for something with a different date. This and the video of Finnicum handling the artifacts were pretty much unwatchable for me. What terrible, lovely people.

He needs to do it.

Prester Jane posted:

For reference, here are some videos of Franklin Graham from right wing watch. (This is the person that the last 4 holdouts are requesting as their negotiator.)

"Franklin Graham says Christians must prepare for persecution and God'said judgement on America."
https://youtu.be/DUUcpunHSnc

"Franklin Graham warns spirit of Antichrist is in government, pushing us to end times."
https://youtu.be/0D0rt5QAPgA

For those who have read my Authoritarian thread I give you a demonstration of "Narrative Convergence".
Oh, man, he has to do it. He fanned the flames and now he has to . . . barbecue the . . . franks . . . you know what I mean.

Seriously now, this is going to end badly. If we're lucky they'll just shoot each other. Or be so unable to work together that the whole thing will fall apart in bitterness. Or be hopelessly incompetent. It's like some terribly dark satire. It would be hilarious if it weren't ruining people's lives.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kartikeya posted:

Exceeept...they're not identical? They're not even wearing the same suits and ties, and suits and ties isn't exactly uncommon when you go to church. Or work. The history of getting into it with the Federal government regarding polygamy happened quite some time after a whole lot of violence at the local and state level (and yes, it wasn't all one sided), and the LDS church hasn't practiced polygamy in a very long time (and if you do practice polygamy? You get ex-communicated). Insularity is a thing that happens with all sorts of different populations, and is neither unique nor particularly rampant among LDS members (fundamentalist breakoffs are another matter, and usually because they DO practice polygamy), although certainly it exists. And err. Mormons live throughout the world, which would include every single state in the US. There are a ton of Mormons in Utah for really really obvious reasons (which frankly, I think causes its own issues of the conflating politics and religion variety), but Mormons are hardly sparse in other parts of the country.

So yeah. Misconceptions.

The last time I saw a horde of mormons on bikes at school they weren't going to church.

So yeah... misconceptions.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

All of the Mormons I know are very nice people but in also pretty sure they'd vote to kick all democrats out of the country.

It does bother a lot of members that the most politically influential church member is a democrat. The constant rumors surrounding Harry Reid range from silly to completely incomprehensible.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

The last time I saw a horde of mormons on bikes at school they weren't going to church.

So yeah... misconceptions.

lol, so, what, you're saying Mormons just go around all day in suits and ties? The only ones who do that are the missionaries (the guys anyway).

'Horde of Mormons on Bikes' is amazing though.

Edit:

TheMadMilkman posted:

It does bother a lot of members that the most politically influential church member is a democrat. The constant rumors surrounding Harry Reid range from silly to completely incomprehensible.

This is true, and also kind've funny, because a lot of church members are also democrats (and this bothers them too). Like I said a few pages back, religion in practice gets messy. From what I've seen it often breaks down along the usual lines; more rural Mormons tend to be more conservative, and while Mormons (like most Evangelicals) tend to trend more conservative in general, they've still got plenty of members that run the political spectrum.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth Franklin Graham owns an inholding in my park and we have a very good relationship with him. His organization brings wounded vets on retreats to the property, and they tend to be very good park visitors, follow the rules, etc. they can be sort of annoying and preachy, but if they feel like saying wow God made this amazing place and it's so awesome I'm glad it's protected, whatever, if that floats their boat that's cool. It's the behavior that matters.

I hope he doesn't get involved in this poo poo.

That said he's still a psycho rear end in a top hat religious fanatic.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kartikeya posted:

lol, so, what, you're saying Mormons just go around all day in suits and ties? The only ones who do that are the missionaries (the guys anyway).

'Horde of Mormons on Bikes' is amazing though.

A horde of mormons on bicycles is exactly what it was like last time I saw a mormon mission.

I mean, it's not trying to get Anne Frank baptized, but it's on a similar level of crazy behavior. Mormons don't really have anyone to blame for what people think of them but their own selves.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think the locals should get or be given a lot of sound equipment and play the new anthem of Malheur as loud as they can at every support mob for these assholes. And if they "need a flag" the people of this blighted area can just use the don't tread on me flags these SovCits love to fly at their clan meetings for double mindfuckery if not the Oregon State one. Let's really blurr the lines here and use states rights for something good for a change.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I really hope the people who actually live in Burns and want these nuts to go away get some kind of recourse soon, because this looks scary as all hell. It's really unfair that a lot of perfectly innocent people have to be poo poo on by these nutters simply because their town happens to be the place they've decided to turn into their hill to quite possibly literally die on.

That having been said,

quote:

If you are the ORIII% this is your time to step out from behind your computer screen, and/or your cell phone. This is the time to actually put you and that COOL t-shirt you bought out there and stand up. We have people, including myself, who have stepped up and assisted and/or have been directly involved in this opperation and others. I find a great deal of frustration in the fact that I see so many people putting memes up, saying III%4life, and buying T-shirts to prove it, yet never leaving their house to do, or support REAL III% ops, or even trying to co-op with one another in order to get enough fuel money to get to any action besides a m&g. Or bit chin because a range day is beneath them due to it not being a door bustin excercise. As Security and Tactical lead for this state I must see if you have the fundamental principles of firearms operations, along with the ability to follow instructions before I'll trust you in an intimate live fire senario, non the less a real life situation, anyone else who is serious about this and has experience with real life (not call of duty experience) totally agree on this. Bottom line is, it's high time to get off your butt and do something. Excuses are old, if you want to call yourself III% be III% get to Burns and/or support what needs to be done in order that we get our nation back into the hands of the people. There is a job for every skillset and a true need for all skillsets, even people who are disabled have a place, but only if they actually have a desire to make a difference and be REAL III%. I don't want to see a bunch of likes or BS responses, I want to see people become active. Get in touch with your zone leadership, get involved. We need to make some noise. We have 1500 members and about 3% of those claiming to be the III% act as much or more than they talk.

:mmmhmm: I kind of like that only 3% of the III% actually wants to get off their Rascals and make the trip.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

A horde of mormons on bicycles is exactly what it was like last time I saw a mormon mission.

I mean, it's not trying to get Anne Frank baptized, but it's on a similar level of crazy behavior. Mormons don't really have anyone to blame for what people think of them but their own selves.

:allears: Tell me more about these intimidating suit wearing bike riders.

In other news, gently caress Cliven Bundy right in the ear:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/694323382872051714

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cliven leading safely from the rear

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Cliven did actually lead a charge of the occupiers during the standoff at his ranch. He's been willing to risk that sort of thing in the past.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Discendo Vox posted:

Cliven did actually lead a charge of the occupiers during the standoff at his ranch. He's been willing to risk that sort of thing in the past.

Was he actually calling the shots there, in the sens of actually organizing militias and such? I thought a bunch of different groups just showed up and started acting like they were his bodyguards or something.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It would be sad for Cliven to never see his boys again so im glad they'll be in prison together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It would be sad for Cliven to never see his boys again so im glad they'll be in prison together.

Please let it be. This rear end in a top hat is trying to get (more) people killed.

• Locked thread