Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure if this is more or less ridiculous than Sony's attempt to trademark "Let's Play".

2016 is starting off great with people trying to trademark/patent the most retarded poo poo. I'm waiting for Disney to patent "displaying image on a computer" so they can try making easy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Puppy Time posted:

I don't always agree with his taste, but I appreciate how well he expresses it. It's actually kind of a shame the "best of" vids are so unpopular, since I like them about equally to the "worst of."

Yeah, even if I don't agree with him at times, his list this year is pretty solid. #1 song I really love because I can see it staying strong over the years unlike the other songs from the 1989 album.

That, and it's a great song to listen to while driving down the road as the sun sets. Rather specific, I know.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

2016 is starting off great with people trying to trademark/patent the most retarded poo poo. I'm waiting for Disney to patent "displaying image on a computer" so they can try making easy money.

Didn't Apple try trademarking/patenting basic computer components or something along those lines a couple of years ago?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't Apple try trademarking/patenting basic computer components or something along those lines a couple of years ago?

In 2001, an Australian guy got away with patenting the Circular Transportation Facilitation Device, commonly known as the “wheel.”

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oops, just remembered I had JO under his old name/pronouns in the OP. Updated.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Fine Bros are just a big advert now anyways. One of their recent videos is just about how amazing Netflix is. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to clearly say that your product is advertising somewhere within the content itself but maybe thats just Australian law (or maybe they really weren't paid in which case it was just a lovely video).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Puppy Time posted:

I don't always agree with his taste, but I appreciate how well he expresses it. It's actually kind of a shame the "best of" vids are so unpopular, since I like them about equally to the "worst of."

I enjoy Todd's videos enough to be a patron, but he dislikes Depeche Mode and therefore cannot be trusted to always be on the right side of history.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wrageowrapper posted:

Fine Bros are just a big advert now anyways. One of their recent videos is just about how amazing Netflix is. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to clearly say that your product is advertising somewhere within the content itself but maybe thats just Australian law (or maybe they really weren't paid in which case it was just a lovely video).

Yeah, that's not the law at all in the US. Which can lead to some hilariously obvious examples of product placement.

Edit: Carrying this over from the Miscellaneous Offsite LP thread courtesy of watho, this video is a pretty good breakdown of the issues with the whole React World thing beyond just the video-takedown aspect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

Idran fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 1, 2016

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Congratulations, JO! Glad to hear you're doing better, I've always enjoyed your work.

In critic news, did anyone post Rap Critic's Top 8 of 2015? I thought it was a pretty good list, with "Aw Yeah?", "Downtown", and "u" as the standouts.

poparena posted:

My penultimate Animorphs review is up. #53 The Answer (Part One, Part Two). The one where a bunch of disabled children die horribly.

It's kind of hard to believe that this is coming to an end, it's been so long. Did you have any plans to look at Applegate's other books, or are you just going to kick back and see what comes up next?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2016

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

It's kind of hard to believe that this is coming to an end, it's been so long. Did you have any plans to look at Applegate's other books, or are you just going to kick back and see what comes up next?

I do plan on gradually covering Everworld, Remnants and Michael Grant's Gone series, they just won't be my main project. My main project will be a series on the Doctor Who novels published between the show's original cancellation in 1989 and it's revival in 2005.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Agent Rush posted:

In critic news, did anyone post Rap Critic's Top 8 of 2015? I thought it was a pretty good list, with "Aw Yeah?", "Downtown", and "u" as the standouts.

I really can't take this guy's opinions on rap very seriously. His metrics for what he considers good hip-hop is so narrow and backwards, and it's pretty clear that he doesn't really have that big a knowledge on hip-hop outside of the specific type of rappity-rap music he's into and whatever is playing on HOT 97 at the moment. I mean, really? Hopsin on your Top 8 list?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

poparena posted:

I do plan on gradually covering Everworld, Remnants and Michael Grant's Gone series, they just won't be my main project. My main project will be a series on the Doctor Who novels published between the show's original cancellation in 1989 and it's revival in 2005.

The 8th Doctor Adventures are hilariously convoluted, with plot lines that go nowhere and have no ending. Then the show brings back Paul McGann and outright goes 'yeah, those weren't canon. The audio series is the proper 8th Doctor is'.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Max Wilco posted:

They patented the shape of the iPhone--in other words, a rectangle with rounded edges.

Yes, they own/owned a shape.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Idran posted:

Edit: Carrying this over from the Miscellaneous Offsite LP thread courtesy of watho, this video is a pretty good breakdown of the issues with the whole React World thing beyond just the video-takedown aspect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

Thanks for this.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

They patented the shape of the iPhone--in other words, a rectangle with rounded edges.

Yes, they own/owned a shape.

I believe it also included the bevel. IIRC, they did not win the court case over that one.

However, they did win a court case against Samsung over "slide to unlock" (because Samsung actually ripped off Apple's entire implementation of it, including extremely similar images)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

HorseRenoir posted:

I really can't take this guy's opinions on rap very seriously. His metrics for what he considers good hip-hop is so narrow and backwards, and it's pretty clear that he doesn't really have that big a knowledge on hip-hop outside of the specific type of rappity-rap music he's into and whatever is playing on HOT 97 at the moment. I mean, really? Hopsin on your Top 8 list?

It sounds like you didn't actually watch the video and listen to what he says.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

poparena posted:

Those Doctor Who novels veer between total waste of time and utterly crazy. Looking forward to seeing what you make of the latter ones.

Also, congrats Jake!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
To give the whole react thing a hint of on-topicness, Dan Olson made a video about the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

e X posted:

To give the whole react thing a hint of on-topicness, Dan Olson made a video about the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

I never thought I'd see someone use 2girls1cup as an example to discuss something.

I'm also surprised that 2girls1cup doesn't trip Firefox's dictionary filter yet plenty of common words still do.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

e X posted:

Same page, dude.

Idran posted:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Linking the video as often as possible should be the objective, here. It's a good vid.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
And speaking of, the Fine Bros are shutting down React World and cancelling all their trademarks.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Wow, sometimes good things do happen in the world!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FourLeaf posted:

Wow, sometimes good things do happen in the world!

Yes, it had nothing to do with their subscription count actively nosediving by the minute.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, it had nothing to do with their subscription count actively nosediving by the minute.

I read that React had 13 mil subs. They're at 5 mil now, they lost 8 million subscribers :stare:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
They still managed to make it sound condescending...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

I read that React had 13 mil subs. They're at 5 mil now, they lost 8 million subscribers :stare:

They have three channels; Fine Bros entertainment, Fine Bros entertainment 2 & the REACT channel. The REACT channel only had about 5 and a half or something along those lines.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This conflict was literally over before I even learned what was going on, much like sex or an average episode of Xavier Renegade Angel. Could someone please give me a skinny version so I don't have to watch 50 separate video rebuttals and read their accompanying master's theses?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Beefstew posted:

This conflict was literally over before I even learned what was going on, much like sex or an average episode of Xavier Renegade Angel. Could someone please give me a skinny version so I don't have to watch 50 separate video rebuttals and read their accompanying master's theses?

React guys try to license/patent/trademark/something involving money and giving them legal powers over people who make videos of themselves reacting to videos on the internet. For the community, of course
Said patent/whatever would let them take between 30-50% ad revenue off other people's reaction videos
Internet backlashes cause its a money racketeering scheme
They make a response going "no seriously guys, community!"
Internet doesn't fall for it, React starts losing a lot of subscribers
React does a 180 and retracts their dumb idea

E: I should explain why its the equivalent of a racketeering scheme. Since "reacting to things on the internet" is a very broad definition, you know how if you upload 10 seconds of a song you can get hit with a strike? Well in theory React could hit you for having a video of yourself reacting to something on your screen. That is unless you are part of "react world", where react gets to snag up to half your ad revenue.

Testekill posted:

They have three channels; Fine Bros entertainment, Fine Bros entertainment 2 & the REACT channel. The REACT channel only had about 5 and a half or something along those lines.

....Why

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

....Why

I don't even get the point of the second FBE channel but here's how it essentially works.

FBE1 is for the X react to Y videos and poo poo like that whereas the REACT channel is for like the gaming, do they know, bonus videos and all that poo poo. I can understanding wanting two channels to seperate the things as there's plenty of gamers on youtube that seperate their edited videos and raw streams by having two different channels.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

I don't even get the point of the second FBE channel but here's how it essentially works.

FBE1 is for the X react to Y videos and poo poo like that whereas the REACT channel is for like the gaming, do they know, bonus videos and all that poo poo. I can understanding wanting two channels to seperate the things as there's plenty of gamers on youtube that seperate their edited videos and raw streams by having two different channels.

It looks like TFB2 is just for bloopers. Maybe it's split apart because who cares about bloopers; TFB2 only has 700k subscribers overall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They should make a fourth channel dedicated to videos where they apologize for incredibly stupid ideas that make everyone hate them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Augus posted:

They should make a fourth channel dedicated to videos where they apologize for incredibly stupid ideas that make everyone hate them.

Do you mean exclusively for themselves, or a channel open to anybody who does that in general?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean exclusively for themselves, or a channel open to anybody who does that in general?

That's an amazing idea, they should trademark that and take a 30-50% cut from every video :v:

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, definitely not. It was clearly a well thought out and altruistic response to the criticism they received. We should be thanking them for their benevolence in not intending to abuse the massive amount of power it would have given them.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The Fine brothers could have become the Timothy Langdell of "react."

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Who are the fine brothers? are they like the unfunny hipster non-video game brothers?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Junior Jr. posted:

Who are the fine brothers? are they like the unfunny hipster non-video game brothers?

They do all the "Kids/Elders/Teens/Whoever React To [internet video/video game/current event/etc.]" videos. The videos themselves are okay to good, they've got charming kids/teens/elders on retainer and keep themselves out of the spotlight mostly. Honestly, until this whole debacle I had no idea what they looked like.

It's sort of mind-blowing that neither of them, nor any of the people who work for them, might have thought this was a bad idea.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

It's sort of mind-blowing that neither of them, nor any of the people who work for them, might have thought this was a bad idea.

Well I'm sure they measured the odds of this stupid plan actually succeeding against the amount of cash it would potentially bring them and then... for some reason went ahead and did it anyway. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
They both look like a pair of jackasses who are trying to be cooler than those two guys who do the good mythical morning show. They also took some harmless video genre/format (whatever it is, I don't care) and turned it into a corporate get rich quick scheme for their own internet hipster needs.

I bet their surnames isn't even 'Fine'.

• Locked thread