Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Fantastic Four and Dr. Strange both started with secret identities, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

I think it's probably because they were comparatively late to superhero comics and came from a horror/drama background rather than pulp vigilantes.

This is probably why I prefer Marvel to DC in general. .

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WickedHate posted:

The point is they're so unimportant to them. They were just there because it's part of the genre and no other reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

The point is they're so unimportant to them. They were just there because it's part of the genre and no other reason.

You could say that about Superman as much as the Fantastic Four. Sure, Supeman's secret identity is important now, but only after a bunch of writers started making a point to explain and explore why he keeps it a secret. In the Silver Age he might as well have been Superman 24/7, but had the secret identity trope just because.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

Dr. Strange didn't start with a secret identity. He got one later as a side effect of letting earth get destroyed and then convincing Eternity to rebuild it exactly as it was, aside from Strange's identity.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

You could say that about Superman as much as the Fantastic Four. Sure, Supeman's secret identity is important now, but only after a bunch of writers started making a point to explain and explore why he keeps it a secret. In the Silver Age he might as well have been Superman 24/7, but had the secret identity trope just because.

Nah, Clark Kent stuff and Lois trying to figure out who Superman is has been important in a way that say, Hal Jordan stuff wasn't for GL.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

Literally the first issue of Fantastic Four has Johnny Storm just flame on in front of one of his friends. In the second issue when Skrulls impersonate them they have to go on the run, because they have no secret identity - the arresting military officer even addresses Mr Fantastic as "Reed"! The third issue literally opens with a magician announcing that the Fantastic Four are in the audience - referring to them as celebrities - and then they all take their fantasticar back to the fantastipad where Sue reveals the costumes she's been working on and literally the only one who gets a mask to hide their face is The Thing!

Doctor Strange didn't have a secret identity because he wasn't strictly a superhero - unlike Doctor Fate, Doctor Strange is literally his name, so it's less a secret that he is former physician Stephen Strange and more just that nobody cares. He doesn't even move house. He briefly developed one but it was as successful as the time they tried to put him in a monkey suit (wow, bringing it back to topical!)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Literally the first issue of Fantastic Four has Johnny Storm just flame on in front of one of his friends. In the second issue when Skrulls impersonate them they have to go on the run, because they have no secret identity - the arresting military officer even addresses Mr Fantastic as "Reed"! The third issue literally opens with a magician announcing that the Fantastic Four are in the audience - referring to them as celebrities - and then they all take their fantasticar back to the fantastipad where Sue reveals the costumes she's been working on and literally the only one who gets a mask to hide their face is The Thing!

Alright, I was super wrong about that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

That look was resurrected in the 90's as one of his personality aspects given physical form, not as a costume but as it's skin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Are comic book movies just sort of gradually abandoning the the secret identity plot point, or making it less important, overall?

The MCU films maybe started it with Iron Man 1 ending on something I, and several others, probably thought was shocking for the time: "I am Iron Man." No spending a few films trying to hide that Tony and IM are the same guy. No spending films hiding that Rhodey is War Machine frmo the general public. Thor doesn't do a Donald Blake secret life. Post-Avengers, Steve Rogers is maybe more publically known as Cap. America to some extent with or without his mask on. Man of Steel had him pretty much telling anyone who would listen or put pieces together that he's Clark Kent. From a few rumors and teasers of what I'm sort of hearing about a few other DC movies coming out that a semi-known secret identity thing feels like it will be present there, too.

Is it just sort of a by product of the modern age that given the internet, social networking culture and camera phones that trying to keep stuff like this a complete secret is just unbelievable to the public, so we've got to have some degree of accepting that truly secret identities are a bit of a rarity that most active costumed characters just won't be able to have?

I think people are just a little tired of the dramatic unmasking scenes and the "Gotta lie to protect my identity" that the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies and the Nolan Batman films drove into the ground pretty hard.

Daredevil made a pretty huge deal of Matt Murdock's secret, even if a bunch of people find out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There is a comfortable place between publicly known identity and "Sorry you got attacked Aunt May I have no idea why the Green Goblin is trying to murder those I love, again." :porportional-shrug-of-a-spider:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Often the secret identity doesn't matter anyway. "N-no, I'm not Spider-Man, we're just good friends."

"It's well known that PETER PARKER is Spider-Man's best friend, I'll kidnap his aunt May to get to the webslinger *evil cackling*"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everyone knows Spider-man has a secret identity because he has commitment issues.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lightning Lord posted:

My only problem is that outside of Spidey no Marvel movie (if the Spidey stuff even counts) has really gone into what superheroes do while they aren't supering around. For example aside from working out and visiting old friends from time to time, apparently Rogers being a Man Out of Time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe means he stands in a broom closet while he doesn't have his costume on. I get that they don't really have time to dig into it like in the comics but I mean jeez they could at the very least show Rogers doing art or something.

Tony presumably is just always building poo poo because that's all he has the capacity for any more, building new robots and suits and upgrading Jarvis and such

Steve keeps that list of "people made a pop culture reference I need to look this up" in his pocket (I wanna say this is winter soldier)

Clint has his stupid farm when he should really have an apartment building being attacked by Russians but que cera cera.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It's been abandoned a bit but there is another side to Spiderman's secret identity which is one of the things that drew me to the character as a child.

It's not just that people hate Spiderman and think he's a criminal. Yes, JJJ hates him and uses the press to rile up anger.

But there are also people who LOVE Spiderman. Flash Thompson started the Spiderman Fan Club.

The best thing about SM is that dichotomy: JJJ hates spiderman yet likes Peter Parker (in his own JJJ way, sure). Aunt May finds SM scary but clearly loves her nephew and continues to dote on him/shovel wheat cakes onto his plate. Conversely, Flash starts a fan club and gets people at school to join and they wear Spiderman shirts and love Spidey so much. And they steal Peter's lunch money and sabotage his science class project and pick on him constantly.

Spiderman/Peter Parker can never really catch a break. The movies and newer comics only seem to dwell on the former these days and forget the latter which is a terrible thing in my opinion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A big part of Spider-Man 3's early plot is how Spider-Man is finally being appreciated while Mary Jane's career is stalling, and the strain it puts on their relationship.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And like almost everything in those movies, it sure makes her seem like a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mary Jane is a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat in those movies. If Peter didn't have the novelty of being Spider-Man to keep things fresh they'd have basically had the relationship arc of Ally Sheedy and Andrew McCarthy in St. Elmo's Fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was played for laughs but leaving John Jameson at the altar the minute her ex said hi was the biggest dick move ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Mary Jane is a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat in those movies. If Peter didn't have the novelty of being Spider-Man to keep things fresh they'd have basically had the relationship arc of Ally Sheedy and Andrew McCarthy in St. Elmo's Fire.

She's completely self absorbed, and he's functionally retarded.

Spider-Man 3 sucks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aphrodite posted:

She's completely self absorbed, and he's functionally retarded.

Spider-Man 3 sucks.

At least Sandman was fairly cool.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Topher Grace and James Franco were both really really good in Spider-Man 3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-man 3 has a lot of good scenes but they are not arranged into a good film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here is hoping Bendis can save Mary Jane in his Iron Man and she gets her own spin off. I like Mary Jane.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Topher Grace and James Franco were both really really good in Spider-Man 3

Topher Grace would have made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a real shame that Topher had such a tiny role in the film due to Sandman and Green Goblin Again eating up so much of the movie.

Not that Harry didn't get some of the best scenes.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Spiderman3 should have been all Venom or no Venom.

The idea that subsequent movies in a franchise keep piling on villains for both fan-service and to fill time (because the first 2/3rds of every first flick is origin) is beyond me.

Just make it Spiderman vs The Vulture for 90 minutes! Give the vulture an origin story, intersperse some Spiderman beating up bank robbers, etc. Finale.

Repeat for Bad Guy and Bad Guy and Bad Guy.

Heck, now that I think about it, a movie version of the Kraven/Death of Spidey arc would be a great second movie.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My friends and I were talking about Keaven being a real good villain for the Marvel Spider-Man movie since you can tie it to Black Panther sort of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Just make it Spiderman vs The Vulture for 90 minutes! Give the vulture an origin story, intersperse some Spiderman beating up bank robbers, etc. Finale.

You're describing Spider-man 2, aka the best superhero movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What's the take on the Doc Ock costume from that flick 12 years out?

I do like the trenchcoat look but I always wanted to see him with the tentacles on the front like in Ultimate Spider-Man:

Also :stare: Ock is loving jacked there.

I liked having the tentacles in the front because it makes the tentacles more of a field Spidey has to cross to give Doc Ock a solid punch to the face to knock him out, which sounds video game-y but also distinguishes him from other Spidey foes who can take haymakers like it's nothing. No "Spidey instinctively pulls his punches" doesn't fly with me as a good explanation. When you're in combat and someone is trying to kill you then you will hit back as hard as you can.

I get why they put the tentacles on the back as it's far more practical from every production angle, but I still wish we could see one like Ult. Doc Ock at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sockser posted:

My friends and I were talking about Keaven being a real good villain for the Marvel Spider-Man movie since you can tie it to Black Panther sort of.

Marvel isn't making a Spider-Man movie. Or at least Sony will still be the controlling studio in movies titled Spider-Man. But you make a decent point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

What's the take on the Doc Ock costume from that flick 12 years out?

I do like the trenchcoat look but I always wanted to see him with the tentacles on the front like in Ultimate Spider-Man:

Also :stare: Ock is loving jacked there.

I liked having the tentacles in the front because it makes the tentacles more of a field Spidey has to cross to give Doc Ock a solid punch to the face to knock him out, which sounds video game-y but also distinguishes him from other Spidey foes who can take haymakers like it's nothing. No "Spidey instinctively pulls his punches" doesn't fly with me as a good explanation. When you're in combat and someone is trying to kill you then you will hit back as hard as you can.

I get why they put the tentacles on the back as it's far more practical from every production angle, but I still wish we could see one like Ult. Doc Ock at some point.

I kinda like a 2/2 split, especially with movie Ock-style tentacles having cameras and sensors because it gives him even more of an octopus-like aspect, having a fuller 360-degree field of manipulation and sensation that really hampers Spidey's agility and pushes his spider-sense to the limit. Also the tentacle harness would include or be later modified with an Elysium-like exoskeleton (the spinal support in SM2 was a good first step) to make his ability to not be smeared across Spidey's fist when he finally does get past the tentacles a little more plausible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like Ock's movie look, it mixes hobo and scientist pretty well, which of course are both things he is in that movie. He looks villainous and stands out but isn't wearing a corny scientist outfit in broad daylight or a really weird mutlicolor body suit.

What I didn't like was the look it inspired briefly in the comics:

That's the only image I could find, but I assure you he was walking around looking exactly like that for a little while. Putting aside how one of the few distinctly pudgy supervillains is now skinny, it takes the look from "a disgraced scientist put on some work clothes and goggles to get down to some evil business" to "I just came from Matrix-con 2001, do you want to listen to my nine inch nails remixes?"

I think those wicked cool sunglasses were some kind of cyber-eyes, too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a comic artist named Casey Jones? Did he ever do any TMNT work?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I like Ock's movie look, it mixes hobo and scientist pretty well, which of course are both things he is in that movie. He looks villainous and stands out but isn't wearing a corny scientist outfit in broad daylight or a really weird mutlicolor body suit.

What I didn't like was the look it inspired briefly in the comics:

That's the only image I could find, but I assure you he was walking around looking exactly like that for a little while. Putting aside how one of the few distinctly pudgy supervillains is now skinny, it takes the look from "a disgraced scientist put on some work clothes and goggles to get down to some evil business" to "I just came from Matrix-con 2001, do you want to listen to my nine inch nails remixes?"

I think those wicked cool sunglasses were some kind of cyber-eyes, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a comic artist named Casey Jones? Did he ever do any TMNT work?

if he has a twitter account you could probably just ask him directly,

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Firestorm has never not looked like a blind man who was dressed in trash by clown-loving psych ward inmate.

My controversial opinion: DC should publish a comic where Firestorm doesn't look like a psychedelic trash jester.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Squizzle posted:

Firestorm has never not looked like a blind man who was dressed in trash by clown-loving psych ward inmate.

My controversial opinion: DC should publish a comic where Firestorm doesn't look like a psychedelic trash jester.

Possibly the worst post in this thread.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Possibly the worst post in this thread.

Look into your heart, friend. You know that Firestorm has never looked better than embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

That's part of the point of the character. He's radioactive firehead Spider-Man with goofy powers with puffy sleeves.

• Locked thread