Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

64bitrobot posted:

It's ~50 gigs.

Sure, and a huge volume of that is almost certainly textures and models that are way higher quality than anyone would really expect from a tablet game...I mean, if it's not happening, it's not happening, just saying, they could probably make it work if they really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Remember when I didn't like ADVENT's alien-gibberish?

So in the intro cinematic Bradford gets stopped at a checkpoint by ADVENT TSA. Instead of "Halt, citizen. We need to check you for weapons" they screech at him in alien tongue and beat him when he doesn't comply with whatever the gently caress it is they wanted.

I feel like a civilization capable of FTL travel, planetary invasion, and genetic manipulation on this scale should have anticipated this issue.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chris just did a video that revealed a new building: the Shadow Chamber, which is a unlock for a few advanced research options and does what the Hyperwave Decoder did and allows you to see how many and what kinds of aliens will be in a Blacksite mission.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

64bitrobot posted:

It's ~50 gigs.

EU+EW is nearly 20GB, but since your phone/tablet is a lot worse at graphics and sound they could crush that poo poo to 2.5gb

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deuce posted:

So in the intro cinematic Bradford gets stopped at a checkpoint by ADVENT TSA. Instead of "Halt, citizen. We need to check you for weapons" they screech at him in alien tongue and beat him when he doesn't comply with whatever the gently caress it is they wanted.

I feel like a civilization capable of FTL travel, planetary invasion, and genetic manipulation on this scale should have anticipated this issue.

Hmm, good point, but I think the aliens are probably insisting that everyone learn THEIR language.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Deuce posted:

There's a glossary of alien words in the prequel novel, I looked it up and the ADVENT soldier said, "My hovercraft is full of eels."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

hito posted:

Yeah. I think any game where you can hit a grinding holding pattern is annoying, because you're essentially coerced into either a.) grinding or b.) knowing on every loss that you could have just sat in a holding pattern first and won.

It looks like XCOM 2 is like XCOM EU where it's almost a roguelike but sacrifices some of the fundamentals for a more cinematic experience. This is what burned me out on EU (but after I cleared Classic Ironman a few times and got my moneys worth) but it's not even frustrating here because I can just mod it into being my dream replayable roguelike.

Im hoping there are sliders and toggles that let us customize the game play because this sound loving terrible since roguelikes are the worst games for people like me. I just want to plod along at my own pace in this here alien murder simulator. :shobon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mister Adequate posted:

Ho ho ho. You all need to get on my level.

For I, you see, am too disabled to leave the house. Some days, I'm even too disabled to shitpost.

What this means is I'll get to play XCOM 2 until I basically can't.

let me have this there has to be an upside

What kind of disability can prevent shitposting but not playing Xcom 2

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If gene mods DID make it back into the game, I could see them doing some interesting different things with them that wouldn't just be rehashes of the (admittedly awesome) abilities you got before. LIke, say, a Faceless gene mod: it lets you morph into an Advent Trooper temporarily, and that lets you wander around in concealment even straight through their detection radius without them noticing you. Or spitting poison like a Viper.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

Which means dicking around for too long like Beagle did is not something you wanna do indefinitely.

Oh sure, attack the man's strategy when he's too tired to defend himself!

And I'll have you know that I have always intended to take the art of dicking around to new heights, both in this game and in real life.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Furnaceface posted:

Im hoping there are sliders and toggles that let us customize the game play because this sound loving terrible since roguelikes are the worst games for people like me. I just want to plod along at my own pace in this here alien murder simulator. :shobon:

Remember that a lot of the preview stuff we're watching is on the hardest difficulty in the game, and sometimes with ini mods to make it even more difficult because the people who get preview copies are giant XCOM nerds.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

If gene mods DID make it back into the game, I could see them doing some interesting different things with them that wouldn't just be rehashes of the (admittedly awesome) abilities you got before. LIke, say, a Faceless gene mod: it lets you morph into an Advent Trooper temporarily, and that lets you wander around in concealment even straight through their detection radius without them noticing you. Or spitting poison like a Viper.

then what makes you different than the aliens themselves

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Colapops posted:

I can always shitpost. What are you homebound for?

Internet Kraken posted:

What kind of disability can prevent shitposting but not playing Xcom 2

Anxiety. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it can make me so worked up that even making a post on Internet Comedy Forum Something Awful Dot Com causes a paralyzing degree of panic. However, a single player videogame does not involve other human beings, so it is quite alright.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Speedball posted:

Basically, the Avatar-Project-setback missions will get more and more spread out as time passes. Which means you need MORE and more territory as the game goes. Which means dicking around for too long like Beagle did is not something you wanna do indefinitely.

Just smashing an alien facility or black site will knock some pips off the meter, and the aliens do enjoy setting those up. You still need to have a plan to expand towards them though, that's true.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2022

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Anxiety. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it can make me so worked up that even making a post on Internet Comedy Forum Something Awful Dot Com causes a paralyzing degree of panic. However, a single player videogame does not involve other human beings, so it is quite alright.

What's up, buddy. :smith:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure, and a huge volume of that is almost certainly textures and models that are way higher quality than anyone would really expect from a tablet game...I mean, if it's not happening, it's not happening, just saying, they could probably make it work if they really wanted to.

Yeah, you might have missed it on one of the previous pages but Exposure makes a good point:

Exposure posted:

You'll probably see ports in the future. All the interviews I've read indicated a good chunk of the PC-only release was that they felt they bit off more than they could chew in terms of support with EU's simultaneous release and the team size they had, and wanted to focus on their strongest market (and the one they have the most experience with) for the sequel's release. And 2K outsourced the tablet ports to another company anyway, and I'll be surprised if they don't have any eventual plans to do the same with XCOM 2 (and probably console ports as well) considering how they thought XCOM on mobile was a success.

So just because Firaxis didn't want to think about it 6 months ago in the interviews I read doesn't mean it won't get done. I mean, what kind of publisher doesn't want to sell a $20 iPad game?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A week or more ago, I saw a video of the Xcom intro plus some cutscenes from a mission to rescue the commander, all in Ialian I think, that weren't in Beagle's video. Is that the tutorial mission?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm watching through Beaglerush's live and legendary videos now, and I love how he mentions right away that the devs changed how the stealth phase worked specifically because of a really powerful trick he discovered when they let him play with the preview builds. It's really cool how open they've been with the community as the game's developed, even if it does mean we need to keep a little bit more aware of potential paid shills.

Edit: Oh, man, I really like that Overwatch comes off when you get damaged now. I'll probably like it a lot less once it happens to me, but, y'know, give and take.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 2, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MotU posted:

then what makes you different than the aliens themselves

XCOM2: Enemy Even More Within This Time, We Mean It

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

one more work week ahhhhhhhh :supaburn:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm watching through Beaglerush's live and legendary videos now, and I love how he mentions right away that the devs changed how the stealth phase worked specifically because of a really powerful trick he discovered when they let him play with the preview builds. It's really cool how open they've been with the community as the game's developed, even if it does mean we need to keep a little bit more aware of potential paid shills.

Edit: Oh, man, I really like that Overwatch comes off when you get damaged now. I'll probably like it a lot less once it happens to me, but, y'know, give and take.

The funny thing is, the Beaglewatch still works once you get Kill Zone on a Sharpshooter, because that is an area Overwatch that activates even in concealment :v:

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Not trying to derail, but I see you, dude. When I was in my 20s I had anxiety that kept me from leaving the house pretty regularly, including for things like work/school/basic being in society type stuff. Now I've mostly got my legs under me, and the worst it gets is feeling like I'm stuck inside my own head (where no one can touch me, luckily!). I hope Friday is cathartic as all hell for you. May all your 95% shots hit, and may you build a throne out of the corpses of your alien enemies.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

*looks longingly into the distance* 4 more days before xcom 2, a game i am excited for comes out.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I'm going to make a mod for this game that lets you bang snake tits for a hybrid snake/human soldier.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I would also like to express my fondness for this, game XCOM 2, that I want to play, really loving bad.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so watching beagles live and legendary videos, the game just goes and explains xcom eu in one of the first researches. thats neat.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well I hope Solomon nerfs the gently caress out of the mimic beacon because it basically trivializes legendary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Space Pussy posted:

Well I hope Solomon nerfs the gently caress out of the mimic beacon because it basically trivializes legendary.

It only lasts one turn. It's fine.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Holy poo poo, Beagle's stream just gave basically confirmed my first mod choice! Brandon Keener (Garrus from Mass Effect) is clearly the voice of both the Alien Speaker and at least one of the XCOM bridge crew! :sicknasty:

Hype as gently caress! Thanks again, Beagle, for all that you do!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Space Pussy posted:

Everything we've seen up until this point just affects up to this point in the game. There are still aliens we haven't even seen yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For some reason, I'm not getting the discount code in the vip section of GMG :(
http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

For some reason, I'm not getting the discount code in the vip section of GMG :(
http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

its still up there for me.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

XCOM 2 doesn't show up in the vip section for me either, only dragons dogma, resident evil and lego avengers, that sucks.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you are Australian or New Zealandese then thats probably why.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

If you are Australian or New Zealandese then thats probably why.

It also applies to Poland for some reason.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Does anyone know how the release date is gonna work? There's two ways of doing a global release; "as soon as it hits Feb 5th in each time zone" and the more common "gently caress you, it releases all over the world at the same time; as soon as it hits Feb 5th in EST/PST". As an :australia:, the former means I get the game 16-19 hours before the latter, so kind of dictates how I spend my Friday evening.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Konig posted:

Does anyone know how the release date is gonna work? There's two ways of doing a global release; "as soon as it hits Feb 5th in each time zone" and the more common "gently caress you, it releases all over the world at the same time; as soon as it hits Feb 5th in EST/PST". As an :australia:, the former means I get the game 16-19 hours before the latter, so kind of dictates how I spend my Friday evening.
If it hasn't been explicitly stated on the Steam page or by the publisher, assume around 10am Seattle time (or for the Aussies, 5am Saturday). If it's any earlier? Pleasant surprise!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scratch, that, I seemed to have gotten something to work. I googled around, found this on their site:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/most-anticipated-2016/?utm_source=neolane&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160108_newsletter_email

Made my payment. The actual code (delete the lowercase x's) was:
GRxEENM-ANGxAME-25PJxAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Scratch, that, I seemed to have gotten something to work. I googled around, found this on their site:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/most-anticipated-2016/?utm_source=neolane&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160108_newsletter_email

Made my payment. The actual code (delete the lowercase x's) was:
GRxEENM-ANGxAME-25PJxAN

Thanks, it worked.