Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Burning of Iowa is still on schedule, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Actually I'll vote for whoever promises to dismantle the Texas A&M system and round up all aggys to concentration camps

We're pretty good at unintentionally dismantling poo poo ourselves no worries

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Whatever the final result of this statistical tie, this has been a fun night, a fun caucus, and a fun thread.

I am mostly disappointed that we'll not be getting any more Hootington now, his stuff is the best.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

So now O'Malley is out can Clinton and Sanders split it 666 each?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought there were 52 delegates in Iowa.

Yeah, but these are the delegates who select the delegates who select THOSE delegates

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Joementum posted:

Again, there were at least three delegates literally decided by a coin toss. None of this actually matters.

Sure it does. The message now drives the rest of the election.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I do like how Hillary is all about Flint when NAFTA was the root cause of that town going to poo poo. I'm not bitter, no siree.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Joementum posted:

And yet Trump still lost. Hmmmmmmm. Almost as if his voters didn't turn out.

https://twitter.com/idaveprice/status/694370961496285186

If Rubio won I'd be a lot more concerned for Trump's chances. But yeah.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Forreals, I did not expect Bernie to do so well in Iowa, and he's been my jam since I caught that 8-hour speech live on CSPAN. It's crazy to me that less than a year ago he was only well known to progressives and Vermonters going up against someone who has been at a near-constant in American political life for more than 20 years. Good job, Bernie. I'm still rooting for you :unsmith:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Spiros posted:

Sure it does. The message now drives the rest of the election.

we had a similar situation in 2012 and nobody cared. Then again the presumed nominee cleaned house in New Hampshire and this time around Sanders is going to clean house there

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joementum posted:

Again, there were at least three delegates literally decided by a coin toss. None of this actually matters.

This makes me wonder what the "margin of error" would be, for the caucus itself. Is it possible to pretend it's a poll and apply the stats formulas to get a meaningful number? Like if there were a do-over how much variance would we expect. or something like that.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Valliantstu posted:

I do like how Hillary is all about Flint when NAFTA was the root cause of that town going to poo poo. I'm not bitter, no siree.

I've been working on a theory that lead pipes was the root cause

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

:catdrugs: The Iowa Caucus’s Catnip King

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Valliantstu posted:

I'm not caught up on her flip-flops yet, has Clinton admitted that NAFTA was terrible garbage yet

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Fullhouse posted:

I'm not caught up on her flip-flops yet, has Clinton admitted that NAFTA was terrible garbage yet

I MIGHT be willing to vote for her if she did.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ralp posted:

This makes me wonder what the "margin of error" would be, for the caucus itself. Is it possible to pretend it's a poll and apply the stats formulas to get a meaningful number? Like if there were a do-over how much variance would we expect. or something like that.

Right now, deep in the bowels of 538, a couple of interns are playing with an MCMC simulating this very process.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
tonight.jpg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owns.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Arkane posted:

The best part is honestly that we've known led was a problem and shouldn't be used in pipes since the 1800s but corporate lobbying on behalf of the lead lobby repeatedly killed any meaningful attempts to regulate the plumbing industry.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ralp posted:

On the Democratic side, there's a *huge* amount of variance, since votes can be shifted through electioneering in the room, but if you ran this even with the same conditions going in you'd get a virtual tie in a majority of circumstances.

And that's fine!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Powercrazy posted:

Yea SCOTUS is important. But again, unless you are in one of like 10 counties in like 8 states, you have zero influence on that nomination.

Why would what county you live in matter?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Voted 5

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

this, and Hillary down to 3 (which is the number decided by a coin toss)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fullhouse posted:

Yes, more recently she's been saying she disliked NAFTA from the start, despite convening at least five meetings about how to get the necessary votes for NAFTA through Congress as first lady :v:

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Arkane posted:

Flint was pretty bad before the lead issue, bro

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yes, more recently she's been saying she disliked NAFTA from the start, despite convening at least five meetings about how to get the necessary votes for NAFTA through Congress :v:

She's only against the Trans-Atlantic Trade deal as a bullshit distancing move from Obama.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I'm learning from CNN that 49.6 round down to 49

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tonight is a huge win for Joementum.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

greatn posted:

So I'm learning from CNN that 49.6 round down to 49

:wow:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OrangeKing posted:

Yeah, but these are the delegates who select the delegates who select THOSE delegates
I just read up on county vs state delegates.

Why don't the precinct votes directly determine state delegates? Elections for governor, senator, and president are all based on raw state totals.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Jesus Christ I was in class for the last three hours and this is what I see when class lets out. A near even split between Clinton and Sanders. What the gently caress

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bernie up to 666 votes!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Josh Lyman posted:

I just read up on county vs state delegates.

Why don't the precinct votes directly determine state delegates? Elections for governor, senator, and president are all based on raw state totals.

The Democratic primary has accrued over a hundred years worth of bullshit.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

She's only against the Trans-Atlantic Trade deal as a bullshit distancing move from Obama.

owns because she is also marketing her campaign as 4 more years of obama recently

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Bernie up to 666 votes!

Hail Satan.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hollismason posted:

Hail Satan.

Trash Trick