Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel if someone is going to sit down and take the time to experience the X-files, they should at least see a few stinkers. The show has a lot of episodes and not all of them were great, big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Basebf555 posted:

I feel if someone is going to sit down and take the time to experience the X-files, they should at least see a few stinkers. The show has a lot of episodes and not all of them were great, big deal.

Well she did see the second movie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scully boobs!

Rest was bloody awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Was really good, but the whole transgender discussion was kind of offensive.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ahh Scully referenced the fan theory :neckbeard:

Which fan theory?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 2, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Basebf555 posted:

That was really, really good. That episode should have been the finale of the original series.

I was thinking the same thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How can anyone hate this episode. It was great.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CelticPredator posted:

How can anyone hate this episode. It was great.

I'm conflicted because it was very well made but a whole bunch of times I just felt like I was being pandered to with the references, even though I was clapping my hands with childish glee at them. Still giving it a 9/10 and blows the other two out of the water.

Now speaking of classic files: I watched Roland today and good lord that is an awkward episode.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I liked the episode a lot but my favorite part was this:

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I'm horrible at posting! *doublepost*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is this on a streaming service yet? My DVR didn't record anything. :argh:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
loving incredible. Classic X-Files humor episode. If this is the best thing we get out of the revival, I'll be satisfied.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soulwrangler posted:

According to Sepinwall this episode was originally written for some short-loved Nightstalker remake. So that's just another reason for that costume homage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo that was SOOOOOOOOOO good. I loved it - loving classic X-Files right there.

I mean this without a hint of irony: im probably gonna cry when the 6th episode is over. :( They writers still loving got it and I wish it could last forever. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean if this does well, they will do more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The ratings from the first episode alone have all but guaranteed Fox will want more.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah that was pretty amazing. I'm not really familiar at all with the original run, I've started watching season 1 but I'm only half way through. I'm happy to hear that they throw in episodes like this every now and again

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Darin Morgan is 5-for-5 on great X-Files episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

The peeping tom was chugging rubbing alcohol right?

That actor was also the hypnotist from Jose Chung's From Outer Space, one of the fortune tellers from Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, and one of the demons from Somehow Satan Got Behind Me.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Soulwrangler posted:

I missed this when I was watching the episode, but apparently his character's name was Guy Mann. Love it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
It took me until Guy Mann's monologue to realize that actor was the werewolf pack leader in What We Do In The Shadows. "We're werewolves, not swearwolves!" etc

Brilliant episode. They finally made a more sexual scene with Scully than the Scully tattoo scene.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gobbeldygook posted:

It took me until Guy Mann's monologue to realize that actor was the werewolf pack leader in What We Do In The Shadows. "We're werewolves, not swearwolves!" etc

Brilliant episode. They finally made a more sexual scene with Scully than the Scully tattoo scene.

Somebody hasn't seen Flight of the Conchords.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For good reason. WAY too much singing.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

LesterGroans posted:

Darin Morgan is 5-for-5 on great X-Files episodes.

This. Hooooly gently caress that was hilarious. I honestly don't even care if the next three episodes suck, the revival was worth it for this episode alone.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rocksicles posted:

For good reason. WAY too much singing.

I guess don't watch a show by a comedy band if you don't like their music :confused:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Agreed. It's bloody horrible.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That episode was incredible. Last week was fantastic, classic paranormal X-Files, this was classic tongue-in-cheek X-Files. They are loving nailing this. I'm seriously in awe.

Mulder's ringtone, and both of them pulling full-size bottles out of their jackets... :allears:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that was fantastic

Mulder being disillusioned that there are so many cameras out there and they served largely to debunk things was amazing. Turning that on its head by him taking continuous pictures but failing by doing it with the selfie camera was comedic genius. That's a modern day version of the phenomena that no one seems to have an in focus camera when something goes bump in the night.

Scully's perpetual amusement throughout this episode was infectious because I think it was genuine, she was having so much fun during this.

Then we broke the 4th wall with Mulder's ringtone and I lost it.

That was an instant classic that would be right at home in any place in the series.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This was phenomenal. For the first thirty minutes or so I was just amused at all the internal references. And then that twist hit, and I loving lost it.

Also, its funny seeing the reactions to a Darin Morgan episode by people who aren't aware of what a Darin Morgan episode is.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If the X-Files revival was just this episode it would have been worth the 14 year wait.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DorianGravy posted:

I missed this when I was watching the episode, but apparently his character's name was Guy Mann. Love it.

Yeah, his name being Guy Mann was also hilarious. This is especially true in context when Mulder questions him about things like social security numbers. Oh, just bullshit your way out of it with the totally believable and not made up name for a someone with zero background, Guy Mann.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
all the easter eggs in the episode:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/x-files-easter-eggs-weremonster.html

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rocksicles posted:

Agreed. It's bloody horrible.

it's actually really good. Sorry you hate good things.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For both the cast and writers, it feels like the first episode was everyone shaking the rust off, the second was when they started getting comfortable in their roles and storytelling style again, and now this one feels like they're back to their regular groove.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The episode quality depends on the redness of Scully's hair.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

sticklefifer posted:

For both the cast and writers, it feels like the first episode was everyone shaking the rust off, the second was when they started getting comfortable in their roles and storytelling style again, and now this one feels like they're back to their regular groove.

Second one was actually the fifth

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
Really not a great episode. I mean, I get that there's a demographic for "cutesy/zany humor delivered by a brit/kiwi/aussie", but it just doesn't fit into X-files. And with the writers practically making GBS threads references all over the viewer, I hope this is the last "funny" episode for this season.

On the other hand Kumail Nanjiani was criminally underused for this episode - I could see him in more of a Lone Gunman role, rather than some random killer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The episode quality depends on the redness of Scully's hair.

And the location of the spooky forest.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

freudorbison posted:

Really not a great episode. I mean, I get that there's a demographic for "cutesy/zany humor delivered by a brit/kiwi/aussie", but it just doesn't fit into X-files. And with the writers practically making GBS threads references all over the viewer, I hope this is the last "funny" episode for this season.

Eh, Darin Morgan usually references his other episodes, so it's not really a new thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That was really good and I am glad Scully has a dog again.

I think my favorite little bit is Mulder has swore off profiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Great ep, it had everything I wanted from a Darin Morgan episode and some more (i.e the return of the legendary red speedo). At the end of the day it was probably his weakest effort, which speaks volume on how great of a writer he is.

• Locked thread