Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Did my part in pledging for 5 copies.

Wait, we only had to buy one? :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I dunno how I missed this. Just saw someone post it on facebook. I'll pledge 5 copies but due to a massively drunken night on shore leave all my bank/credit cards have been frozen so will have to wait a few weeks unless there's a paypal option

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

what the gently caress posted:

I dunno how I missed this. Just saw someone post it on facebook. I'll pledge 5 copies but due to a massively drunken night on shore leave all my bank/credit cards have been frozen so will have to wait a few weeks unless there's a paypal option

you don't get charged until the campaign is over I think?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

vxsarin posted:

Correct!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

vxsarin posted:

yeah, but I guess you still need a valid card to pledge. Mine was declined.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

So, now that we've comfortably passed the minimum threshold of 50 copies...

Given that printing costs get cheaper the more copies we get, is there a point at which it would make sense to either a) funnel the extra money into a kitty for the next issue of this wildly successful venture, or b) tempt fate a little less and slightly increase the quality of the existing zine? (I'd also be happy for any extra monies to be split between ansel and elgarbo for their work getting this thing running, even though profits aren't punk rock at all.)

I'm aware the volume benefits probably don't kick in till we've funded significantly more than the ~80 copies at last count, but I figure it's worth considering.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
The zine is on the front page of Kickstarter now in the 'what's popular' rotation

Captain Organ fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 1, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Pledged for 2 copies and shared the Kickstarter over to the On Taking Pictures G+ group (which has people in it unlike the rest of G+).

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Captain Organ posted:

The zine is on the front page of Kickstarter now in the 'what's popular' rotation

How awkward.

I had a message from one concerned observer asking why we had failed to include any female photographers.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype posted:

Pledged for 2 copies and shared the Kickstarter over to the On Taking Pictures G+ group (which has people in it unlike the rest of G+).

I don't think I've really been back to the group since I joined it a long time ago, and to be honest I've gotten a little frustrated with the podcast, Jeffery being to ernest/neurotic and Bill living up his own arse.

elgarbo posted:

How awkward.

I had a message from one concerned observer asking why we had failed to include any female photographers.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

rohan posted:

So, now that we've comfortably passed the minimum threshold of 50 copies...

Given that printing costs get cheaper the more copies we get, is there a point at which it would make sense to either a) funnel the extra money into a kitty for the next issue of this wildly successful venture, or b) tempt fate a little less and slightly increase the quality of the existing zine? (I'd also be happy for any extra monies to be split between ansel and elgarbo for their work getting this thing running, even though profits aren't punk rock at all.)

I'm aware the volume benefits probably don't kick in till we've funded significantly more than the ~80 copies at last count, but I figure it's worth considering.

To be quite honest my accounting skills are complete and utter poo poo so I have only a very vague and fuzzy idea of whether there is going to be money left over. If we crack 100 copies we will see the first of the volume discounts but it isn't very much, maybe 80 cents per issue? - need to be pushing upwards of 500-1000 copies to see any sizable drop in prices.

Anyway when it's all finished I'll do the sums and will post it here and we can figure out what to do with any spare dollars.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 1, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Anyway when it's all finished I'll do the sums and will post it here and we can figure out what to do with any spare dollars.

Use it to buy yourself a beer after shipping out so many goddamn copies.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Get a tattoo of a 4x5 camera on your rear end with the proceeds

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel posted:

:agreed:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

elgarbo posted:

How awkward.

Tell them I am female (I am not) since I am the only dumbass using a pseudonym in the magazine.

And if you are looking for photo examples, you can use one of mine if you would like.

And you should definitely spend all the leftover pennies on cheap Australian booze!

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Don't worry bro, I use a pseudonym too.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

alkanphel posted:

Seriously this, I feel bad that you are stuck being the only person who can do any of the shipping stuff. :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It's over $3000!

PS. Elgabro, I think I made the cut but I don't see my name in the page, am I still in it? :ohdear:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
This looks great, thanks for putting it together. A possibility to save on shipping costs might be to have a US distributor?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just buy the thing jeez.

Thanks for doing the boring stuff Elgarbo, I'm getting one.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Just buy the thing

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's over $3000!

PS. Elgabro, I think I made the cut but I don't see my name in the page, am I still in it? :ohdear:

What's your name? PM me or email at garbutt at gmail dot com and I'll get everything up to date.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

elgarbo posted:

What's your name? PM me or email at garbutt at gmail dot com and I'll get everything up to date.

must of been the female name we were missing

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I just bought the thing and became the 40th backer.

This is the first pure photography publication I have bought with my own money (instead of being gifted it), I feel like such a patron of the arts.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Norrskensren posted:

I just bought the thing and became the 40th backer.

This is the first pure photography publication I have bought with my own money (instead of being gifted it), I feel like such a patron of the arts.

"Arts" used very liberally.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
just pledged for a copy, looking forward to checking it out and hopefully participating in the next one

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Mailed

vxsarin posted:

must of been the female name we were missing

I'm a guy, so that's still missing, like your grammar.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Went in for three copies. I kinda wish I had submitted some of my "better" crappy photos now, but they'll have to wait for Vol. II. Really I'm just happy stuff made it out the door.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 1, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

To be quite honest my accounting skills are complete and utter poo poo so I have only a very vague and fuzzy idea of whether there is going to be money left over. If we crack 100 copies we will see the first of the volume discounts but it isn't very much, maybe 80 cents per issue? - need to be pushing upwards of 500-1000 copies to see any sizable drop in prices

As of now, 5 more copies to break that 100 copies mark.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

elgarbo posted:

How awkward.

Add an open submission URL (to a forums thread? hosed if I know) for vol. 2? Maybe it would give us a chance to add diversity and make fun of the terrible 500px set in one go if we get the right people clicking?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Add an open submission URL (to a forums thread? hosed if I know) for vol. 2? Maybe it would give us a chance to add diversity and make fun of the terrible 500px set in one go if we get the right people clicking?

I was in charge of producing a zine where we called for open submissions from local artists and the kinda garbage we got and the volume of it was actually overwhelming. If we were suuuuper selective about where we're soliciting submissions or if we formed some kind of team to sift through those it might work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe make purchasing the previous edition a requirement for submitting to the next? That would at least limit possible submissions a bit.
And if it gets out of hand, strictly limit the printing run.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe don't do anything

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Maybe don't do anything

Bingo. It's an at-cost zine that's basically built around photographers from this forum. Maybe the el gabro, ansel autisms, and the rest of the curators decide they want to open it up to other people, but who knows. I think there's enough talent here to not worry about having enough for any other hypothetical volumes in the immediate future.

Comedy option: Make Vol. II a monthly monster truck rally newsletter.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Make an open version but call it "I Found the Best Photographer "

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm already feeling accelerated.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Outside open submissions? gently caress that. If people want to participate they have to register and post in here and not get banned or heckled to the point of quitting and deleting their flickr in a rage. It's the right of passage.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Goddamn you motherfuckers love jumping the gun. I'm just excited to see a copy eventually.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Make vol 2 screenshots of our posts and noone will submit to vol 3,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Maybe don't do anything

it's this

get the zine printed an distributed, one thing at a time

• Locked thread