Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

uncurable mlady posted:

actually I think you'll find that people are mostly concerned about how Donald Trump is a loser who lost, who did not win, who could not close the deal and actually cried about it, about how bad he lost to a man with some sort of melty face whose children hate him. Again let me just repeat that Donald Trump is a big loser who didn't win, and was very low energy after he lost, he should probably just wrap it up and go back to his home with the other losers.

http://loser.com

This is the end of the Trump comedy tour. And just when he was honing in a really solid 1hr set for his HBO special. Sad times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
President Huckabee, President Santorum, President Cruz. Amazing. 20 years of losers. I do not want to be in that group! Now, think of it, who else skipped a debate, lost Iowa, and became a great leader?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Donald Trump posted:

President Huckabee, President Santorum, President Cruz. Amazing. 20 years of losers. I do not want to be in that group! Now, think of it, who else skipped a debate, lost Iowa, and became a great leader?

not donald trump :mrgw:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Iowa is Rubio's victory at Antietam. A strategic win but largely irrelevant on a tactical level beyond the effects of attrition.

Other way around, I think? Tactically impressive in that he avoided annihilation, but strategically irrelevant as he failed to achieve much of import. Also, his opponent was an idiot. Obviously this metaphor only holds up if Rubio loses the nomination.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

uncurable mlady posted:

actually I think you'll find that people are mostly concerned about how Donald Trump is a loser who lost, who did not win, who could not close the deal and actually cried about it, about how bad he lost to a man with some sort of melty face whose children hate him. Again let me just repeat that Donald Trump is a big loser who didn't win, and was very low energy after he lost, he should probably just wrap it up and go back to his home with the other losers.

So, there's a few points to address here. While I'm sure that Cruz will be one to gloat in his own way, I also think that whether one looks like a loser is quite relative to initial expectations. Trump started out as a joke candidate and has shown twice, once with his defense of "New York Values" and once tonight with his grace in defeat, that he can be the spitting image of Presidential when the issue requires it. No matter what Trump says, you can trust that Trump believes himself when he says it.

With Cruz? He says one thing in public, and another in private; he's not a genuine individual. Trump, he's genuine to his emotions, and he lets you know it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Donald Trump posted:

Bingo. It's the same gently caress'n lane Reagan used to win, and Reagan even faced off against well-organized Bush with a better campaign infrastructure!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Donald Trump posted:

https://www.loser.com

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, there's a few points to address here. While I'm sure that Cruz will be one to gloat in his own way, I also think that whether one looks like a loser is quite relative to initial expectations. Trump started out as a joke candidate and has shown twice, once with his defense of "New York Values" and once tonight with his grace in defeat, that he can be the spitting image of Presidential when the issue requires it. No matter what Trump says, you can trust that Trump believes himself when he says it.

With Cruz? He says one thing in public, and another in private; he's not a genuine individual. Trump, he's genuine to his emotions, and he lets you know it.

shut up nerd

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im glad trump underperformed his polls and i hope he continues to do so

im hopeful that the election will continue to get more boring and cynical throughout the primary season

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

So has anyone but Huckabee dropped yet?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
America's time as the leader of the free world is drawing to a close and I think Cruz is the man who can finally get us there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cabinet posted:

What is a frothy, brown, almost creamlike substance with a sweatervest?

Also, Lindsey Graham dropped out a while ago now.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

oystertoadfish posted:

im glad trump underperformed his polls and i hope he continues to do so

im hopeful that the election will continue to get more boring and cynical throughout the primary season

I get the first part, but I don't get the second part. I was really enjoying the poo poo show.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's like getting drunk and bitching out one of your coworkers. You still have to sit next to them on Monday, even if it felt good to drop the facade for a minute on Friday.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

I get the first part, but I don't get the second part. I was really enjoying the poo poo show.

Trump's got the racist vote locked-up. Now's the time to allow Cruz to show just how radical he is, and swallow Jeb!'s campaign infrastructure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Because "viability" is actually a hump candidates need to get over before being taken seriously, but once over that hump they quickly gain support in order to compete with the other viable ones. Trump sucked all the air out of the room with the way he's been polling but his supporters skipped caucus day just like they skip leg day because they're all talk, no walk, and too loving stupid to figure out the difference between a gallup landline poll and attending the caucus.

That allowed Rubio to sweep in and turn this into a 5-point race between him, Cruz, and Trump, meaning the establishment support suddenly had a horse to hitch their wagon to and a place from which to fight back against the insurgents propping up the likes of Cruz and Trump. Rubio is now a Serious Contender rather than one of the second-tier also-rans behind Trump and whoever he's fighting with on any given day. Rubio's numbers make him seem like more than just the water-obsessed joke candidate he was a week ago and a lot of people who just want someone comparatively reasonable to support are probably going to flock to him from the single-digit folks while Cruz and Trump fight over the same crowd.

sullat posted:

Other way around, I think? Tactically impressive in that he avoided annihilation, but strategically irrelevant as he failed to achieve much of import. Also, his opponent was an idiot. Obviously this metaphor only holds up if Rubio loses the nomination.

Nah, tactically inconclusive as it wasn't a clear victory, but strategically important as it kept the other guys from walking away with a decisive win, thus denying them the narrative and allowing Rubio to say "I have a realistic shot at this, think twice."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 2, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/sageboggs/status/694376260894638081

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is most definitely no candidate more authentic than Trump in this race, though Sanders seems pretty close.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

turns out the debate was pretty important after all. weird.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Montasque posted:

it was starting to make me nervous

guess i shouldn't speak in past tense, but even a little dose of political reality kind of brings things back toward boring, dirty centrism, with which i've learned to cope

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Cabinet posted:

Jim Gilmore increases his ranking by one place. Soon the time will be right.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Montasque posted:

I think if Trump stays in the top 2 but Cruz crashes behind Kasich or Christie in New Hampshire, the chaos will keep reigning. The eventual Trump meltdown will be so fun to watch.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
i think my favorite part of tonights race was when trump supporters got savagely annihilated

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The X-man cometh posted:

I think if Trump stays in the top 2 but Cruz crashes behind Kasich or Christie in New Hampshire, the chaos will keep reigning. The eventual Trump meltdown will be so fun to watch.

Schwarzenegger should fire him on The Apprentice. Would be a good way to kick off the season.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Hot-takes:

1.) All of you should be ashamed for yelling at Joementum. Not because of Trump or what not, but because you obviously don't get the same level of visceral satisfaction from the weirdness of american democracy.
2.) Trump is not stumped, but will still probably not be the nominee, just as he wasn't likely to be the nominee a month or a year ago for the same goddamn reasons. That said, his ultimate vote tally was actually really impressive.
3.) Its probably gonna be Rubio. Thank Trump for that.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Neurotic Jew posted:

i think my favorite part of tonights race was when trump supporters got savagely annihilated

#WhiteGenocide

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

A Neurotic Jew posted:

My fav is Bush not getting a single delegate even tho he had one of the top 3 campaigns in Iowa.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Neurotic Jew posted:

My favorite part was his stupid rear end in a top hat spokesperson telling CBS that they went into tonight thinking Trump was going to basically place last. You could hear the whirring noise of that idiot's bullet necklace trying to handle that level of spin.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the people who said skipping the debate was a good idea have been stumped. Also lmao at destroying any chance of being on fox's good side to come in second place.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's going to be an interesting few weeks. Rubio will now have massively inflated expectations going forward while Trump and Jeb! will go all out to destroy him. All the talk about Rubio's 3-2-1 strategy is looking especially clever since it's unlikely he'll overtake Trump in NH in a week, helps manage expectations. I'm guessing Rubio will do fine as the front runner with all that establishment money flooding in, but it'll be fun watching him try to defend against attacks from all sides.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
For real though, literally gently caress everyone who owns, has owned, or has thought about owning a bullet necklace.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
MSNBC just showed a guy in a Santorum sweater vest who took a photo of the vote tally at his precinct.

The tally showed zero votes for Santorum.

Chris Hayes then asked him why he didn't vote for Santorum.

He explained that his pen ran out of ink.

Caucuses own.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Palin claims a second campaign.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

All the people who said skipping the debate was a good idea have been stumped. Also lmao at destroying any chance of being on fox's good side to come in second place.

Fox news was gunning for Trump so he didn't really have a choice. It would have looked even worse if he had gone and had to explain all the silly poo poo he's said for the last couple decades.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

selzer's poll didn't nail the margin and it's not gospel truth or anything, but they asked their 602 republican likely caucus-goers about whether trump skipping the debate was a positive or a negative and i think more than half of them went with 'don't care', with pretty even margins on the plus and minus sides. probably most of the people who felt feelings about it were already pretty strongly for or against trump and responded to his actions accordingly

its in here somewhere ive posted it in here before
http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/r1OvZ1NeDjnY

it was probably good for him to shoot that bullet before the first votes were cast. at this point i think the negatives to skipping a debate are quite a bit larger than they would've been before

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Palin claims a second campaign.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

selzer's poll didn't nail the margin and it's not gospel truth or anything, but they asked their 602 republican likely caucus-goers about whether trump skipping the debate was a positive or a negative and i think more than half of them went with 'don't care', with pretty even margins on the plus and minus sides. probably most of the people who felt feelings about it were already pretty strongly for or against trump and responded to his actions accordingly

its in here somewhere ive posted it in here before
http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/r1OvZ1NeDjnY

Yeah, the last debate didn't do poo poo. The reason last minute people picked Rubio and other non-Trumps is because they couldn't decide which non-Trump they wanted to go for until they saw how things were at the end. Trump was a constant, it was the people around him who were fluctuating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to say Kristol going all in for Trump earlier today is what killed his campaign.

• Locked thread