Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The nuclear power plant in Baby's First City is moving along:

Ignore that creative water tank for the time being . . .

I added a third layer of enderium blocks, arranged in a + sign. A third layer solid around of enderium dropped the speed to ~1550rpm. This got it to around 1820 rpm, and I could start to steer it in by moderating the main reactor.

The smaller reactors are just demonstrations of more basic designs. I will have to make sure in the quest book I do not instruct them to fill the reactor with water.

My tree farm has been putting on a disappointing show. I figured it would be able to fully-power at least one laser drill precharger, but I have to govern it with an energy cell controlling the rate. Otherwise, it robs all the supporting equipment and everything slows down. I suppose I should not be that frustrated. Really, a tree farm is all anybody needs to make all the crap one needs for a tier 1 rocket, since it's just sporadic power demand.

I'm at a complete loss on how to balance crops for biofuel. I figured I'd demonstrate that in a planter/harvester area too. The biofuel is a bonus I don't think I can readily figure out.

I should really find a way to get this up on a server so I can recruit goon help to sperg out on the demonstration setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I added a third layer of enderium blocks, arranged in a + sign. A third layer solid around of enderium dropped the speed to ~1550rpm. This got it to around 1820 rpm, and I could start to steer it in by moderating the main reactor.

The smaller reactors are just demonstrations of more basic designs. I will have to make sure in the quest book I do not instruct them to fill the reactor with water.

My tree farm has been putting on a disappointing show. I figured it would be able to fully-power at least one laser drill precharger, but I have to govern it with an energy cell controlling the rate. Otherwise, it robs all the supporting equipment and everything slows down. I suppose I should not be that frustrated. Really, a tree farm is all anybody needs to make all the crap one needs for a tier 1 rocket, since it's just sporadic power demand.

I'm at a complete loss on how to balance crops for biofuel. I figured I'd demonstrate that in a planter/harvester area too. The biofuel is a bonus I don't think I can readily figure out.

I should really find a way to get this up on a server so I can recruit goon help to sperg out on the demonstration setups.

the generation is based on contiguous blocks, so the + is pointless move them all together in a corner for better generation

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How soon till this is updated? I have no idea how to build the turbines and have been looking at finding a good tutorial. Will definetly boot up BFSR once it's in.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

How soon till this is updated? I have no idea how to build the turbines and have been looking at finding a good tutorial. Will definetly boot up BFSR once it's in.

they have some good tutorials here
http://wiki.technicpack.net/Multiblock_Turbine

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

the generation is based on contiguous blocks, so the + is pointless move them all together in a corner for better generation
You mean turn the + into an X?

Meskhenet posted:

I'm terrified to deploy it, which is going to be a small problem. It's using code I put in Lockdown myself so that players start in this world, but then go to their own randomly-generated overworld when they step through the overworld portal. Then to handle updates, I doodled some code that will flatten their existing tutorial dimension with a fresh copy as needed. The code for all of that was not that hard in itself, but there's no way for me to know side effects since I'm completely unfamiliar with Minecraft internal quirks. I particularly need to make sure none of that shits out on a server instance.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 2, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cool.

So you have to have it hooked up to a reactor though?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Cool.

So you have to have it hooked up to a reactor though?

Well, normally. Apparently, you can pipe steam from dynamos into them. I never did the math on it.

Your normal reactor is a passively cooled one. When you switch it to actively cooled, then it is expecting water to come in one way, and steam to come out another. That steam goes into turbines, which condenses it back to water. Send that back to the reactor.

Edit: apparently dynamos cannot export steam. Well, that is one less science project.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: apparently dynamos cannot export steam. Well, that is one less science project.

A variety of other things can, though. For example, MFR has a Steam Boiler. It takes a while to heat up but then it cranks out quite a lot of steam. Enough that I have three Hardened Aqueous Accumulators hooked up to one.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm terrified to deploy it, which is going to be a small problem. It's using code I put in Lockdown myself so that players start in this world, but then go to their own randomly-generated overworld when they step through the overworld portal. Then to handle updates, I doodled some code that will flatten their existing tutorial dimension with a fresh copy as needed. The code for all of that was not that hard in itself, but there's no way for me to know side effects since I'm completely unfamiliar with Minecraft internal quirks. I particularly need to make sure none of that shits out on a server instance.

Make a beta modpack, and I'll help test it out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
For the biofuel generator, when I was using that exclusively I just had a number of farms and had the excess pushed to it. You're going to have a hard time 'balancing' harvest to generator input since growth is RNG based, although you could reduce the physical footprint using fertilizer machines. The only problem is producing enough fertilizer to keep up!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Railcraft boilers can export steam. I've done early-game self-sustaining power with a high-pressure boiler outputting to a steam dynamo, and powering a planter, harvester, and redstone furnace with energy left over. Works pretty well when you're not at the resources to build a reactor yet, plus if you have a passive growth aid like a sprinkler, you'll definitely end up with a surplus of charcoal.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sage Grimm posted:

For the biofuel generator, when I was using that exclusively I just had a number of farms and had the excess pushed to it. You're going to have a hard time 'balancing' harvest to generator input since growth is RNG based, although you could reduce the physical footprint using fertilizer machines. The only problem is producing enough fertilizer to keep up!

In FT Infinity Evolved, If I'm using a Cyclic Assembler to do Garlic + Eggplant + Bakeware(not consumed), how can I balance things so that I don't keep accumulating eggplants til it fills up? Or at least get those eggplants out before that happens.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Set your inputs so that eggplants are going in either the upper or lower half, and the rest of your ingredients going to the other half. That way even if you have an excess of eggplant it won't prevent the garlic from coming in.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

In FT Infinity Evolved, If I'm using a Cyclic Assembler to do Garlic + Eggplant + Bakeware(not consumed), how can I balance things so that I don't keep accumulating eggplants til it fills up? Or at least get those eggplants out before that happens.

Use a Retriever to pull to the assembler, instead of using a servo to send them. Set it to hold exactly xx (like 32 or 64 or whatever) of each one. As it uses them, the Retriever will call more from the duct network.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serifina posted:

Use a Retriever to pull to the assembler, instead of using a servo to send them. Set it to hold exactly xx (like 32 or 64 or whatever) of each one. As it uses them, the Retriever will call more from the duct network.

Thanks, looks interesting. I used Itemducts a little bit first getting into automation, but had so much trouble getting it to hook up correctly that I gave up. Good reason to revisit them over the usual Item conduits.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

More like an L, I think.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Got the minecraft itch again. What are some good HQM-based modpacks that put you in odd/stressful world situations that aren't just "produce literally all materials yourself"-type stuff like agrarian skies/regrowth?

e: thinking something like blightfall, that one pack set in the deep dark, that sort of thing.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 3, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Void World? Floating city where you start in an underground bunker with a ProjectE tablet. You reclaim the rest of the city that's been for the most part abandoned and filled with mob spawners. Producing materials is more about slamming together ever larger resource production loops that violate the thermodynamic laws of energy (hint, cobble gen is a start, the collectors from ProjectE are expensive as hell, and the most efficient way involves a TE machine and paired condensers) and then pulling whatever resource you want in abundance from the tablet.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Void World? Floating city where you start in an underground bunker with a ProjectE tablet. You reclaim the rest of the city that's been for the most part abandoned and filled with mob spawners. Producing materials is more about slamming together ever larger resource production loops that violate the thermodynamic laws of energy (hint, cobble gen is a start, the collectors from ProjectE are expensive as hell, and the most efficient way involves a TE machine and paired condensers) and then pulling whatever resource you want in abundance from the tablet.

Right, that's the sort of thing I don't want. I want something in a world where I'm getting stuff from the world, as opposed to needing to make all the resources/the vast majority of the resources on my own via [insert mod here]

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well some things can only be produced when you find a copy in the abandoned city. You don't start with a way of producing glowstone or redstone, for example.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

President Ark posted:

Right, that's the sort of thing I don't want. I want something in a world where I'm getting stuff from the world, as opposed to needing to make all the resources/the vast majority of the resources on my own via [insert mod here]

OMP sigma, the only HQM quest is "die repeatedly".

Oh wait, there's no HQM because it's not needed for that.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

President Ark posted:

Most HQM mods have some sort of resource generation, if only because you're going to run out of stuff otherwise. You might try ME^3, which is more about finding resources inside death dungeons of doom.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

OMP sigma, the only HQM quest is "die repeatedly".

Oh wait, there's no HQM because it's not needed for that.

Oh yeah, that's a thing I made. Maybe I should do something with it.

E: The joke is that something is actually planned.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

StealthArcher posted:

Oh yeah, that's a thing I made. Maybe I should do something with it.

Add HQM ironically and update the modpack to reflect upon its addition?

Only entry:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

Most HQM mods have some sort of resource generation, if only because you're going to run out of stuff otherwise. You might try ME^3, which is more about finding resources inside death dungeons of doom.

Speaking of ME3, there's a new sequel that doesn't have any combat or AE cubic storage, and as far as I can tell the world is an infinite void of blank white blocks that emit light, and the only biome is mushroom island.

It's... interesting.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Dipped a toe into OMP-S and it's not really what I'm looking for. I suppose I should emphasize the "unique world" more - either something handbuilt like blightfall or something with really distinct and hostile worldgen like Obscurity or Regrowth (except not regrowth). Most of the packs I know that are like that are HQM, but it's not a requirement - I just want something where it's not the standard "punch trees to get wood" experience at the start and isn't just standard minecraft worldgen with maybe some extra poo poo thrown in.

I'll probably take a look at ME3.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

Dipped a toe into OMP-S and it's not really what I'm looking for. I suppose I should emphasize the "unique world" more - either something handbuilt like blightfall or something with really distinct and hostile worldgen like Obscurity or Regrowth (except not regrowth). Most of the packs I know that are like that are HQM, but it's not a requirement - I just want something where it's not the standard "punch trees to get wood" experience at the start and isn't just standard minecraft worldgen with maybe some extra poo poo thrown in.

babys first space race? It is super easy at the start though. I havent really got too far along with it myself as i only really load it up when i know it will teach me something i dont know.

That void world actually sounds somewhat interesting. hmmm

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

senae posted:

Speaking of ME3, there's a new sequel that doesn't have any combat or AE cubic storage, and as far as I can tell the world is an infinite void of blank white blocks that emit light, and the only biome is mushroom island.

It's... interesting.

It was because people harassed him to make a server version of the ME4 modpack, and since spatial dungeons don't obviously scale well to large servers he made a bit of a psuedo voidworld + hqm book gameplay.

He also has Material Energy Exploration with almost no building or combat which is inspired by Antichamber (which is a good game) but extremely difficult platforming in minecraft is just.. no. no. He did do some really impressively confusing/bizzare layouts worthy of Antichamber though that I'm somewhat amazed could happen in Minecraft.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serifina posted:

Success!

My stumbling block was that the retrievers default to only on with redstone signal. Smooth sailing after that keeping a max stack of 32. This is much more awesome for crafting.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just tried Void. Was really good until i fell off the platform i was making in the nether and couldn't get any of my stuff back. So there goes that that.

Is there anything else similar but doesnt have that fall into the nothing lose your poo poo bullshit?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

I just tried Void. Was really good until i fell off the platform i was making in the nether and couldn't get any of my stuff back. So there goes that that.

Is there anything else similar but doesnt have that fall into the nothing lose your poo poo bullshit?

this is why the first thing i do in any pack like this is turn on /gamerule keepInventory true

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

It was because people harassed him to make a server version of the ME4 modpack, and since spatial dungeons don't obviously scale well to large servers he made a bit of a psuedo voidworld + hqm book gameplay.

He also has Material Energy Exploration with almost no building or combat which is inspired by Antichamber (which is a good game) but extremely difficult platforming in minecraft is just.. no. no. He did do some really impressively confusing/bizzare layouts worthy of Antichamber though that I'm somewhat amazed could happen in Minecraft.

I tried the latter just today. On top of the ridiculous vertical shaft you're supposed to ascend via bouncing between impulse plates, I got to an area where you have to scour the walls for hidden blocks to get capacitors to shove into chests to unlock doors. Not fun. Then there was the "fumble around in pitch black" area. Also not really fun.

What really sealed the deal was when I got stuck in a chunk that didn't want to load because there's a tunnel with superspeed blocks you run across. Trying to quit and re-enter the world didn't work, so I gave up.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Update on my 1-chunk stacked building of fun stuff:

Tree farm on the roof seemed like a good idea. Trees need lots of room to grow. Farm worked great! HOWEVER, snow started fouling squares. Eventually winter would consume all.

But there is an engineering solution to every problem, some less elegant than others

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Thats a pretty cool idea

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

1-chunk bases are legit, i did one of those on one of the mechaet servers (a pyramid coming out of a massive worldgen volcano)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

Success!

My stumbling block was that the retrievers default to only on with redstone signal. Smooth sailing after that keeping a max stack of 32. This is much more awesome for crafting.

Looks good. All Thermal Dynamics Servos/Retrievers default to "Redstone Signal On", but that's easy enough to change.

This is one of the reasons I prefer Thermal Dynamics over EnderIO's conduits. I've used both extensively, and I've found TD's system of servos, filters, and retrievers to be much more elegant and flexible than EIO's system - and I rarely have need for the insane compactability of EIO's conduits. (This is personal preference - I freely admit both sets are quite powerful and one could, undoubtedly, do 99% of setups with either mod.)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man I am never happy with a modpack.

I really love having ProjectE, but I never get to stack up enough fun stuff to do on top of it before a server ends up unplayable. Or, worse, all the fun stuff isn't compatible with it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

For giggles, maybe consider TerraFirmaCraft. That's a completely different experience. It's very purely a survival game, but it opposes new challenges. If you get it in a modpack with some basic quality-of-life stuff, it is less tedious, but still kind of hard to grasp.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
TechnodeFirmaCraft is a modpack that adds more tech tiers to TFC, and boosts ore values so mining isn't as much of a grind. I'd say it's pretty good but it might need a bit more fine tuning. For instance it has Immersive Engineering which costs a TON of iron to do things with, but iron is actually harder to process than other metals in TFC so it's not really worth it to make the IE Crusher. Instead I just got the Railcraft Rock Crusher (which does not instakill you, at least in this modpack, but it will destroy items that brush the top of it so put blocks on it to prevent that!) and went straight for the Mekanism enrichment chamber after that. Immersive Engineering's power generation is pretty easy to get going though. It's just the big multiblock structures which are a problem.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

IIRC, the only way to get keepInventory on is to use NBTEdit on your worldfile, because of some sort of anti-cheat setup.