Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The reebok deal sucks for the fighters but i also dont even understand how reebok can afford giving out hundreds of thousands in sponsorship money every ufc fight night in hopes people will buy their lovely half assed gear. I hope theyre losing lots of money on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

B league thread is not ufc thread.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Bendo is a B-league fighter now

e: oh wait, this should go in the TNA thread

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
How in the gently caress could the UFC break up their Reebok deal? They have to be at the point where they are looking at options.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

quote:

"I won't lie, it was a very big deal," Henderson said. "The ability to get sponsors on your own and not have to rely on the amount that Reebok dictates to you was a huge factor. I'd be straight up lying if I said it wasn't a very big part of my decision to go to Bellator.

I remember when news of the reebok deal came out I said it was great news for bellator and fighters would start jumping ship, pretty much everyone in this forum scoffed, lol

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

In terms of sheer accomplishments, Bendo has got to be the biggest score in Bellator history. He's tied for most lightweight title defenses in UFC history, he went up a weight class and beat a man who was huge in comparison, and he whipped that Diaz rear end with a toothpick in his mouth. He's also in the prime of his career or at least relatively close.

This is just a huge contract blunder by the UFC and I can't wait for my dude "Smooth" Ben Henderson to style all over multiple Bellator divisions.

PS: Scott Coker, please use this as an opportunity to run a show in South Korea and have Tito give a speech to bring the peninsula back together.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is just a huge contract blunder by the UFC and I can't wait for my dude "Smooth" Ben Henderson to style all over multiple Bellator divisions.

Having a guy with losses to three of their current top lightweights style all over Bellators welterweight division is not exactly going to be keeping the Fertittas up at night.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Bendo will become a two-division champ before Conor.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

fatherdog posted:

Having a guy with losses to three of their current top lightweights style all over Bellators welterweight division is not exactly going to be keeping the Fertittas up at night.

The cocaine is what will keep them up at night. I guess they got their Korea main event out of Bendo and there just wasn't much perceived value left after that. I'm a big fan, so it is irksome when the UFC seems hellbent on driving away good fighters.

If Aljamain Sterling follows suit and signs with Bellator, that would be an even worse look for the UFC, in my opinion. You could argue that Bendo peaked but Sterling is a clear star on the rise.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Neeber posted:

Bendo will become a two-division champ before Conor.

Conor was already two division champ in the b leagues

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The cocaine is what will keep them up at night. I guess they got their Korea main event out of Bendo and there just wasn't much perceived value left after that. I'm a big fan, so it is irksome when the UFC seems hellbent on driving away good fighters.

If Aljamain Sterling follows suit and signs with Bellator, that would be an even worse look for the UFC, in my opinion. You could argue that Bendo peaked but Sterling is a clear star on the rise.

Though mind in the past we've had some pretty good hype trains build up from "That Guy in the Other Organization." They might decide to let Bellator take Sterling, build him up, and take the risk on paying him bigger money early. If Sterling loses, then the UFC lost nothing. If Sterling wins, some hurf and blurf can build. And after 6-8 fights Sterling can return as a developed prospect and the UFC will be happy to pay him once he has proved what he is worth. And all of this can happen without him knocking off UFC prospects.

Guys like Shields, Giblert, Alvarez, and Overeem all came into the UFC with lots of interest. Even Hendo managed to have his stock increase with a few fights in Strikeforce. Or look at what happened with Nick Diaz. The guy hasn't won a fight over anything resembling a ranked opponent since... Robbie Lawler? And he has a following that cost the UFC basically nothing to build.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

did everyone forget the rise & fall of Strikeforce from 2009 - 2011, cause I seem to remember them being a much bigger threat than Bellator and UFC survived just fine. UFC lost on a few big signings to Strikeforce, a couple of guys left UFC for Strikeforce (sometimes it took a few years of wandering the b-league landscape before they wound up there), and in the end Robbie Lawler came back and became a UFC champion. So I don't see why Bendo going to Bellator the home of Shamrock vs Gracie III means everybody at the top of UFC is going to leave and UFC's brand will suffer forever.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Bendo going to Bellator is good for everyone involved.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

did everyone forget the rise & fall of Strikeforce from 2009 - 2011, cause I seem to remember them being a much bigger threat than Bellator and UFC survived just fine. UFC lost on a few big signings to Strikeforce, a couple of guys left UFC for Strikeforce (sometimes it took a few years of wandering the b-league landscape before they wound up there), and in the end Robbie Lawler came back and became a UFC champion. So I don't see why Bendo going to Bellator the home of Shamrock vs Gracie III means everybody at the top of UFC is going to leave and UFC's brand will suffer forever.

Strikeforce's first event was shamrock vs gracie

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Bellator has deeper pockets than Strikeforce ever did, Strikeforce was owned by silicon Valley sports and bellator is owned by Viacom

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Strikeforce's first event was shamrock vs gracie

Yeah, Frank Vs Cesar.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bellator has deeper pockets than Strikeforce ever did, Strikeforce was owned by silicon Valley sports and bellator is owned by Viacom

I'm honestly surprised Cerrone hasn't gone over. I don't know what the ufc is paying him but a few hundred eyes watching him bash up a b-league guy and immediately crack open a bud lite has to be worth serious money.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Marching Powder posted:

I'm honestly surprised Cerrone hasn't gone over. I don't know what the ufc is paying him but a few hundred eyes watching him bash up a b-league guy and immediately crack open a bud lite has to be worth serious money.

My best guess is that Bellator puts on significantly less fights than UFC and he likes to fight all the time.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

My best guess is that Bellator puts on significantly less fights than UFC and he likes to fight all the time.

True but I'd be great to see Cerrone KO b-league bums every week when Bellator do a cycle of weekly shows

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I remember when news of the reebok deal came out I said it was great news for bellator and fighters would start jumping ship, pretty much everyone in this forum scoffed, lol

I thought you said "major" or "relevant" or something.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The biggest signings bellator has made from the ufc were Tito, bonnar, and rampage, in that order. Bendo won't do near the viewership that Tito/bonnar did.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Brett Okamoto posted:

Benson Henderson will challenge Andrey Koreshkov for the Bellator MMA welterweight title on April 22 in Uncasville, Connecticut.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Strikeforce had the Showtime premium cable thing which was cool, and definitely coveted by the ufc.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i feel like bendo in bellator's ww division is ultimately meaningless because i don't know anyone in that division, whereas at lightweight they have some fights i could get excited for

i hope bellator can slowly grow to fill the strikeforce role

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i feel like bendo in bellator's ww division is ultimately meaningless because i don't know anyone in that division, whereas at lightweight they have some fights i could get excited for

i hope bellator can slowly grow to fill the strikeforce role

Yeah I would be interested in seeing him vs. Chandler and Brooks, but their welterweight division sucks.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

1st AD posted:

Yeah I would be interested in seeing him vs. Chandler and Brooks, but their welterweight division sucks.

I think a non-negligible part of Benson going to Bellator is the fact that he can probably run the table at 170 there now that he's discovered how wonderful it is not to cut weight.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Yeah, he might as well go for 170 first. Without Askren it's just an abandoned division. If he can get that title, they could hype a 155 superfight. Will Brooks is fast, powerful and diverse as a fighter and is on pretty much every top 10 list at this point. Meanwhile, Koreshkov is just a dorky looking Russian kid with no discernible strengths that nobody has heard of or cares about. It's pretty obvious which is the easiest path to a belt.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/contract-disputes-see-jake-shields-out-at-wsof-30-jon-fitch-now-meets-joao-zeferino

Terrible news Shields/Fitch is off. Jake didn't want to take the fight because he would get locked into a WSOF champion contract, a place that no one wants to be. Fitch is now gonna fight Zeferino, a lightweight who recently lost the WSOF lightweight tournament to Brian Foster despite defeating Foster in the quarterfinals.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think that instead of 1000 years of never ending success Benson will lose a boring fight to someone none of us have heard of in a year or two

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

I think that instead of 1000 years of never ending success Benson will lose a boring fight to someone none of us have heard of in a year or two

same

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Roger Huerta's Law

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

i don't know man look at how well fitch and okami did.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Speaking of Bellator:

quote:

Scott Coker is linking up with another familiar face.

Heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov has signed an exclusive multi-fight contract with Bellator MMA, according to sources close to the promotion. The Russian striker is currently expected to make his debut in May.

Sergei vs Kongo seems like it could be funny. Aside from that, meh.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

colonel_korn posted:

Speaking of Bellator:

Sergei vs Kongo seems like it could be funny. Aside from that, meh.

Coker got a fat Russian for Henderson to KO

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Coker picks up Overeem, he can redo his Strikeforce HW Grand Prix.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Sergei is a good pickup for a bad division because he can mop up some clowns in fatly devstating fashion. On the other hand Fight Nights is trying to set up a fight between him and Minakov which could mess things up.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I will say that his casual murder of Arlovski is still one of the coolest (but simultaneously disturbing) things I've seen in the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbIIsOAg1rU

Something about the way he just relentlessly walks AA into the corner and then just obliterates him once he's hurt.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Sergei is a good pickup for a bad division because he can mop up some clowns in fatly devstating fashion. On the other hand Fight Nights is trying to set up a fight between him and Minakov which could mess things up.

Isn't Minakov fighting in Fight Nights instead of over here due to visa issues? I wonder if they'd just strip him so Coker could live his dream of putting the belt back on a Pride guy.

also, the Bellator heavyweight title has existed for more than half a decade and has had a grant total of five fights and that will never stop being funny to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

colonel_korn posted:

I will say that his casual murder of Arlovski is still one of the coolest (but simultaneously disturbing) things I've seen in the sport.

Something about the way he just relentlessly walks AA into the corner and then just obliterates him once he's hurt.

Holy gently caress AA also landed some right hands in that fight which looked like they could cave in a medium-sized house and Kharitonov just shrugged them off like nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

colonel_korn posted:

Please watch the superior version from thereem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0nBNY-cw8&t=828s