Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dying repeatedly to the first stealth section in Alien Isolation. I don't know if I'm bad at stealth or if the game hasn't told me something important yet, or I haven't figured it out.

If you're talking about the Medical Ward, then no, that place is just a nightmare. The Alien is really aggressive and you don't yet have any of the tools to deal with it effectively. Stay low and keep moving, it'll sniff you out if you remain in one place for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah the medical ward is really tough and apparently my ripley loving sings to herself or blows a slide whistle as she goes along cuz the alien would come running around a corner with a big smile on its face every time for like 29 games straight.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oxxidation posted:

If you're talking about the Medical Ward, then no, that place is just a nightmare. The Alien is really aggressive and you don't yet have any of the tools to deal with it effectively. Stay low and keep moving, it'll sniff you out if you remain in one place for too long.

No, it's that first gang of survivors you meet after bald guy gets killed.

I might be revealing how hard I suck at the game, but I spent, like, thirty minutes trying to get past that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While I still need to start it, everything I heard about Alien Isolation is that it kind of goes against traditional stealth games where its best to take it slow and stop to look around and instead strongly encourages you to almost always keep moving, just slowly. Staying in one spot will just let the Alien find you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Captain Yossarian posted:

OK I found a working PS2 in one of my countless gigantic Rubbermaid tubs and went and bought Silent Hill 2. Hit me with some horror recommendations!! I have component cables so it looks a LITTLE better...

Also found one of my GameCubes and a ton of games! Eternal Darkness ahoy!
I'd highly recommend trying to find Echo Night: Beyond. A great game all around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I might be revealing how hard I suck at the game, but I spent, like, thirty minutes trying to get past that.

I ended up accidentally killing all of them. I got caught and made it out by luring them into the hallway back where you catch the tram and bashing them to death one by one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does Shadow Tower Abyss count as a horror game

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sneak behind a guy, cave his skull in, repeat untill the road is clear.

edit: You only need to get to the exit, so it's not like Thief where leaving dead bodies can cause a problem later.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 2, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

woodenchicken posted:

Sneak behind a guy, cave his skull in, repeat untill the road is clear.

edit: You only need to get to the exit, so it's not like Thief where leaving dead bodies can cause a problem later.
In this case you're actually mistaken! If survivors are alive when the Alien appears, they will be murked and the Alien will disappear back into a duct long enough for you to hack the door. If they're dead, then the Alien will hang around and make a circuit around the second floor while you scramble to get the hacking done.

That scene was meant to be sprinted through, though you can fight them or ghost them if you like punishment - if you get past the door you need to get through you'll hear a scripted conversation in which the survivors debate going after you and decide not to (I wonder why??)

There are three things that are worth realizing in regard to Alien: Isolation -
1) Only sprinting makes noise as far as movement is concerned and
2) In the absence of sound, avoid line of sight.
3) The alien, once it shows up, is not on a patrol route, it is actually hunting you. It gets smarter as the game goes on.

Taken together, this means A:I plays a lot differently than most Amnesia-likes. First thing you'll need to do is shake off the learned habit of crouch-crawling everywhere. If you know the Alien is a safe-ish distance away, or its back is turned to you, walk. There is no benefit to crouching except breaking LOS. Note that the alien's LOS isn't established until its fully active - if it pops in front of you from a duct, you have a few seconds to get behind something.

The second thing you need to do is not get comfortable with hiding. The longer you stay in one place, the smaller the zone of investigation becomes for the alien, and it will find you if you stay put. You need to keep moving and switch up your hiding places.

On easier difficulties, the alien will periodically gently caress off beyond the range of your tracker and that gives you some license to explore and collect things and read DOS messages. But mostly you'll want to establish loose zones of safety - if your tracker picks up movement <20 meters away (or you hear the telltale thump and hiss of the alien dropping from a duct) , hide immediately. 30-40 meters should be your opening to move closer to your intended target (noting places to hide at a moment's notice). Never sprint, you will be heard and if the alien's not around to outrun you and kill you, you'll summon it from the ducts. In early levels, don't fire a gun, or you will be heard and you'll summon it. If you're hiding a lot it will learn to listen for the beeping of the tracker. In later levels, you should be prepared for the sound of opening doors to draw the alien out of a duct. It gets harder the longer you go.

An awful shame that we'll never get a sequel. SEGA is such a shitshow.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 2, 2016

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

In this case you're actually mistaken! If survivors are alive when the Alien appears, they will be murked and the Alien will disappear back into a duct long enough for you to hack the door. If they're dead, then the Alien will hang around and make a circuit around the second floor while you scramble to get the hacking done.
That's p. cool. I actually only ever killed one dude who always kept catching me, so I ddidn't know there was this kind of consequence. I remember being excited because I thought stealth felt really good as far as 1st person games go.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really need to finish alien. I made it to the hive but I keep getting killed in there. Is the best strategy just use the flamethrower liberally, and don't sprint through?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ineffiable posted:

I really need to finish alien. I made it to the hive but I keep getting killed in there. Is the best strategy just use the flamethrower liberally, and don't sprint through?

You never have enough ammo for the flamethrower

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Basic Chunnel posted:

That scene was meant to be sprinted through, though you can fight them or ghost them if you like punishment - if you get past the door you need to get through you'll hear a scripted conversation in which the survivors debate going after you and decide not to (I wonder why??)

There are three things that are worth realizing in regard to Alien: Isolation -
1) Only sprinting makes noise as far as movement is concerned and
2) In the absence of sound, avoid line of sight.
3) The alien, once it shows up, is not on a patrol route, it is actually hunting you. It gets smarter as the game goes on.

Taken together, this means A:I plays a lot differently than most Amnesia-likes. First thing you'll need to do is shake off the learned habit of crouch-crawling everywhere. If you know the Alien is a safe-ish distance away, or its back is turned to you, walk. There is no benefit to crouching except breaking LOS. Note that the alien's LOS isn't established until its fully active - if it pops in front of you from a duct, you have a few seconds to get behind something.

The second thing you need to do is not get comfortable with hiding. The longer you stay in one place, the smaller the zone of investigation becomes for the alien, and it will find you if you stay put. You need to keep moving and switch up your hiding places.

On easier difficulties, the alien will periodically gently caress off beyond the range of your tracker and that gives you some license to explore and collect things and read DOS messages. But mostly you'll want to establish loose zones of safety - if your tracker picks up movement <20 meters away (or you hear the telltale thump and hiss of the alien dropping from a duct) , hide immediately. 30-40 meters should be your opening to move closer to your intended target (noting places to hide at a moment's notice). Never sprint, you will be heard and if the alien's not around to outrun you and kill you, you'll summon it from the ducts. In early levels, don't fire a gun, or you will be heard and you'll summon it. If you're hiding a lot it will learn to listen for the beeping of the tracker. In later levels, you should be prepared for the sound of opening doors to draw the alien out of a duct. It gets harder the longer you go.

An awful shame that we'll never get a sequel. SEGA is such a shitshow.

I'm not clear on what happened, I thought AI did really well?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Apparently it did well but probably not inflated publisher expectations for an AAA title based on the Alien franchise well.

Bit of a shame, I loved AI. At least we should get a VR version of it as part of the Steam VR line-up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alien isolation is so loving good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dave Angel posted:

Bit of a shame, I loved AI. At least we should get a VR version of it as part of the Steam VR line-up.
One hopes. You can apparently hack in existing VR functionality, you'll just have a weird transparent body thing going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLUHEG4oNs

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Phobophilia posted:

If you played that game using the Fight command at all, you are doing something wrong.

I do find it cool that Scott channeled his lower middle class economic anxiety into a pretty cool game. The guard can't quit. It is a fate worse than death.

I didn't do the fight command at all. It was still super boring and repetitive.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

In the official thread there were many, many people that also got stuck there. Its a terrible introduction to dealing with survivors. The advice that helped most people out was to go up the stairs that are on your left when you first enter that area (they are then on the right when you turn around after picking up the tool).
From there, you can stealth your way up and anti-clockwise fairly easily. You might have to bash one guy in though.

To elaborate on the walk/crawl thing, you are found by the Alien quicker when crawling. So walk when possible, as advised. Whether this is due to dodgy AI code or because the Alien can 'smell' you easier when you are slower, is yours to decide.

quote:

Alien isolation is so loving good

The good parts definitely are, but there really are some HUGE flaws.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

There's a bunch of horror games on sale on Steam at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/lunarhorror/

I vaguely remember someone in here talking about Albino Lullaby, anybody have an opinion on it? Or Party Hard? I've heard the latter is really rough around the edges, but I think the main complaint I heard was that the voice acting is terrible.

Also if you're looking for something different, Masochisia is really unique. It was made by a friend of mine so I'm biased, but I think it's excellent nonetheless.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

MockingQuantum posted:

There's a bunch of horror games on sale on Steam at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/lunarhorror/

I vaguely remember someone in here talking about Albino Lullaby, anybody have an opinion on it? Or Party Hard? I've heard the latter is really rough around the edges, but I think the main complaint I heard was that the voice acting is terrible.

Also if you're looking for something different, Masochisia is really unique. It was made by a friend of mine so I'm biased, but I think it's excellent nonetheless.

For me, Albino Lullaby is less a horror game and more a surrealist object that is sometimes darkly humourous. Like a Monty Python animated section.

Also, I am sorry to go against you and your friend, but I found Masochisia to be both stylistically ugly as well as eye-rollingly barrel scraping in terms of theme, especially at the start.

Also, just looking at those games, don't give the creators of Hektor any money. It's a Let's Play darling, but as a game it is virtually unplayable garbage.

Monstrum is fun and that's an alright price for it.

The Forest is a fun survival game with some genuinely unnerving poo poo in it. It's still early access though, but it's updated monthly with new features and content. Plus it's multi-player!

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 6, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also, I am sorry to go against you and your friend, but I found Masochisia to be both stylistically ugly as well as eye-rollingly barrel scraping in terms of theme, especially at the start.

Like I said, I'm probably unrealistically biased in its favor. I can see where you're coming from on both points.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I didn't see it listed in that horror sale link, but White Night (http://store.steampowered.com/app/301560/) looks super interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

Also Oxenfree was a super fun experience; lovely atmosphere and dialogue. It's a nice change of pace from the first person house walking simulators going around like Visage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJjWF58AY

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Niggurath posted:

I didn't see it listed in that horror sale link, but White Night (http://store.steampowered.com/app/301560/) looks super interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

Also Oxenfree was a super fun experience; lovely atmosphere and dialogue. It's a nice change of pace from the first person house walking simulators going around like Visage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJjWF58AY

gone home 2 lookin' good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

Because the idea that one must have a corporate job in order to be successful is so ingrained that some people literally can't comprehend people going into business for themselves and being more well off than they would have been otherwise.

no it's because the games are terrible. it wasn't a comment on really the guy since i'd also pump out trash if people bought it (and he seems like a swell dude) but on people for buying the games. they bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 6, 2016

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I've been playing The Forest for a while and occasionally take breaks between updates. Whenever one rolls around, it makes the game so much better. It's also a little unnerving how many varieties of gore-soaked trophies you can leave around as warnings to cannibals :black101:
Tried The Rake, which is pretty fun and spooky, especially for the price. Hopefully, this summer, I'll get around to playing some old PS2 horror I've been meaning to try: Rule of Rose and Silent Hill 4.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Niggurath posted:

I played through it a while ago, it's flawed but does some neat things, and is visually very interesting. The end has some really terrible and not fun sections, there are at least a couple obtuse puzzles you have to work your way through, and in keeping with the survival horror genre, the camera angles rarely ever do you any favors.

Think of it as a really stylish, monochrome Alone in the Dark, but your only weapon is light.

The ending is the kind that most people will roll their eyes at, and deservedly so, but I thought it had interesting things to say about greed and economic turmoil.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
For reasons I can't fully explain I picked back up and beat Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting based on the thread but I still wouldn't exactly call it good. I enjoyed the style and the atmosphere but the general plot didn't really make sense. I feel like they came up with a pretty cool idea and then really struggled to flesh it out while staying within the confines of retreading the original Amnesia's plot.

Now I'm itching for more. Reading this thread has me tempted to pick up Alien Isolation. I have a feeling I'd also like SOMA but I'll probably wait until the price drops a little more. I mean hey, if I found Machine for Pigs passable my standards have gotta be pretty low :v:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Get alien isolation for dirt cheap and go to town

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

To get the maximum amount of your A:I experience you have to be a huge nerd w/r/t the first movie. If the game does one thing well it's serve as an extended love letter to Michael Seymour and co's production and art design. It could have been a straight up walking simulator and I would have dug it just as much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i got a massive hard on for the first two aliens movies and i felt the same way about isolation as sir richard evans did.

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I have a feeling I'd also like SOMA but I'll probably wait until the price drops a little more. I mean hey, if I found Machine for Pigs passable my standards have gotta be pretty low :v:

i wish there were more horror games like SOMA. there are scary bits in gameplay but the real horror is internal while thinking about the situation and the consequences of the technology.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kokoro Wish posted:

The Forest is a fun survival game with some genuinely unnerving poo poo in it. It's still early access though, but it's updated monthly with new features and content. Plus it's multi-player!

InsidiousMuppet posted:

I've been playing The Forest for a while and occasionally take breaks between updates. Whenever one rolls around, it makes the game so much better. It's also a little unnerving how many varieties of gore-soaked trophies you can leave around as warnings to cannibals :black101:

Yeah me and my friends got into this and it's good. Like many EA games it has its bugs but all in all it's a creepy game. I've had to run away from large groups of cannibals through the pitch dark forest, diving into bushes to try to hide long enough for my stamina to regen.

And it can be extremely unnerving going through the various caves with a cigarette lighter or a torch to provide a little light.

And the multiplayer rules. Me and my friends have about four camps set up and we stay on the move between them. Whenever the cannibals finally come in numbers, we bail off into the woods and scatter. When we've shaken off the persuit (which sometimes means going into one of those loving caves) we meet up at the next camp and continue operating.

There's been several instances where that game has shaken me up just from the desperation of trying to escape alive.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 7, 2016

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
How is dark wood or door ways? Both look kinda neat but want a goon opinion so I can gift one to my brother

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a way to make Undying not look like rear end these days? The last time I tried it on my current PC it was almost unplayable. I have a 750 ti and an i5 4590.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RichterIX posted:

Is there a way to make Undying not look like rear end these days? The last time I tried it on my current PC it was almost unplayable. I have a 750 ti and an i5 4590.
You talking about the disc version or the GOG version?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Anyone played Firewatch? Seems like it would be horror, but don't really know that much about the story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

synthetik posted:

Anyone played Firewatch? Seems like it would be horror, but don't really know that much about the story.

Is that out already? I didn't realize.

Seems like it's got very high reviews for an initial release.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

synthetik posted:

I think it's more of a mystery in the vein of Ethan Carter rather than a horror game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RichterIX posted:

There's a bunch of things you could try listed on the PC Gaming Wiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Clive_Barker%27s_Undying#Widescreen_resolution

I was going to suggest just editing in your resolution in the .ini file, but it looks like there are a lot more options now. I haven't tried them myself yet, I still have the game on CD but haven't installed it in years.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is that out already? I didn't realize.

Seems like it's got very high reviews for an initial release.
Looks to unlock in about 14 hours for the US region, at least the part I'm in. I'm really excited about the game, it's going to be Campo Santo's first offering; they were the two writers for Telltale's Walking Dead Season 1 who snagged up some other cool people from the industry, including at least a couple from Double Fine.

Not going to be horror at all, but I don't know much about it other than what was in the early trailers, and I'm going to hold off on reading anything else before I play (already preordered :dance: )

Thread here with one of the devs giving some extra info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746363

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There's a bunch of things you could try listed on the PC Gaming Wiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Clive_Barker%27s_Undying#Widescreen_resolution

I was going to suggest just editing in your resolution in the .ini file, but it looks like there are a lot more options now. I haven't tried them myself yet, I still have the game on CD but haven't installed it in years.

The fixed widescreen patch got patched up to be used with the latest version of nGlide so you can use it with the graphical goodies the Glide offered. I haven't used this version, I'd like ot hear how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Accordion Man posted:

You talking about the disc version or the GOG version?

The GOG version. I think I tried it with nGlide a month or so ago and everything just looked off. The chances of it being user error are pretty high though because I don't really understand how nGlide's settings work and how they interact with the settings in Undying's config. I have the disc version somewhere too but I'd have to dig out an external optical drive.

Widescreen aside, I couldn't even get it to look right at 1400x1050 on a 1680x1050 monitor.