Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Monomythian posted:

I like how the difficulty ramps up when you get to the Scorching Sands. That Relic Core Quest in Sandstone refuge was the first quest I have come across that required more then a faceroll.

I also threw in the Japanese voice pack which can now bypass the launcher by doing this.

Unfortunately this does not actually fix how poor the English translation is for dialogue or skills, nor does it re-add the story section they removed in Act 3(?)

What's the story about the removed stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

What's the story about the removed stuff?

The madun spirit vision? It was originally timetravel.

quote:

Madun's character defining moment is back in that cave where you meet the 8 masters. he's late. thats him. He's that fuckwad that's late to the big party. Then later on, Iksanun tells you you're going to go back in time to the highland central massacre and find out what happened, only madun bumbles and fucks it up and you go back to his childhood where the village got rekt. JSY sees you back in time and notices you have the black rose mark. She finds this interesting, since she hasnt given to you at that ponit and she knows everyone who she's given it to, which she deduces to mean you're from the future, so she wont kill you now cuz you're actually interesting. When localization turned it into madun's memory thing in a misguided belief that it'd be easiier to understand, they couldn't alter the cutscene dialogue, so they shoehorned madun into having the mark too, despite the fact that he should have mentioned that back in the cave when you show the masters your mark.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

HapiMerchant posted:

Well that actually makes more sense than the spirit vision thing. I wondered why the explanation for Madun having the Black Rose mark seemed kinda flimsy. "Yes I had it too! Then it totally went away because reasons! But you need to do this fast so you can't do it that way!"

I mean I get why they changed some of the more questionable quests (despite a lot of people getting really pissy about it) but I don't think they made that more understandable at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Adding jokes in localization and stuff is one thing but that's way too much

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

Well that actually makes more sense than the spirit vision thing. I wondered why the explanation for Madun having the Black Rose mark seemed kinda flimsy. "Yes I had it too! Then it totally went away because reasons! But you need to do this fast so you can't do it that way!"

I mean I get why they changed some of the more questionable quests (despite a lot of people getting really pissy about it) but I don't think they made that more understandable at all.

it isn't helped because the later bit when you go back to the massacre is an actual spirit vision, only they changed THAT to 'a dream' because they already had made the time travel bit a 'spirit vision' and since it's obviously two different methods (one is going through a dragon pulse with the realmwalker's help and the other is the snapjaw sages conducting a ritual) they couldn't keep them both as 'spirit visions'

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Apparently there is entire alternate story path where you take the dark side that was only available in the original KR version, but has since been changed as well. The story just progresses normally as if you had chosen the good path across all versions now.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Monomythian posted:

Apparently there is entire alternate story path where you take the dark side that was only available in the original KR version, but has since been changed as well. The story just progresses normally as if you had chosen the good path across all versions now.

That got axed because choosing the dark side simply ended the story at that point, but choosing hongmoon got you like 4-5 extra quests (and accompanying XP) and people complained that lightside was an easier leveling process.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wait so even if the cap is 45 the story quests are going up to level 50?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait so even if the cap is 45 the story quests are going up to level 50?

No. current story ends as act 4 starts, with You accepting mushin's offer to travel the dark side and get your chi and dark chi balanced to get more power. Everyone at 45 currently has "A letter from Yuran" that they cant progress on.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HapiMerchant posted:

No. current story ends as act 4 starts, with You accepting mushin's offer to travel the dark side and get your chi and dark chi balanced to get more power. Everyone at 45 currently has "A letter from Yuran" that they cant progress on.

Well thats the thing, the game naturally takes you into the darkside. You dont get to pick a side till the rest of the story.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well thats the thing, the game naturally takes you into the darkside. You dont get to pick a side till the rest of the story.

True. the bit about darkside/lightside choice is End of act 4. they changed it so you just auto choose hongmoon and get to start a new Hongmoon School, which is what act 5 is. We won't see that bit until 50 content.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HapiMerchant posted:

True. the bit about darkside/lightside choice is End of act 4. they changed it so you just auto choose hongmoon and get to start a new Hongmoon School, which is what act 5 is. We won't see that bit until 50 content.

As I understand it, a significant part of that change actually stemmed from the Chinese version - in the original, original Korean launch version the "dark path" was the only option, and the CCP censors were not happy that the player character had to essentially become a villain and engage in no small bit of villainy in act 4. So a whole new Act 3 end/Act 4 was written up for the Chinese version, the Korean players got rather salty that this wasn't available to them, and so the KR and JP versions ended up with a choice - the original "dark" path, and a "light" path that saw you actually overcome the Mark and re-found the Hongmoon School. Then things proceeded like pointed out, the light path offered technically more rewards so from a meta perspective it was an obvious choice, and a lot of people never liked the dark path anyway. So as of 2015 the whole thing is a single path, which is what we're getting.

However, the opening of act 3 stuff... :psyduck: Why would you do that? I'm a liberal-as-gently caress localization dude and I would never consider a story change that sweeping! It's more a pain in the rear end to do that than to just go with it as written! Why would you make that much extra work for yourself?

This game's localization makes my head spin sometimes. :psyduck:

Anyway, on a different tack: do any of y'all BnS vets have some idea whether this hairstyle is currently available to players, and if it isn't, when it will be?

I'd rather like to co-opt this NPC wholesale for my eventual Warlock, but that hair doesn't seem to be available to players at present.

(I'd also like to get those "Stratus Scholar" robes, but I'm guessing those will come down the line. :v:)

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

As I understand it, a significant part of that change actually stemmed from the Chinese version - in the original, original Korean launch version the "dark path" was the only option, and the CCP censors were not happy that the player character had to essentially become a villain and engage in no small bit of villainy in act 4. So a whole new Act 3 end/Act 4 was written up for the Chinese version, the Korean players got rather salty that this wasn't available to them, and so the KR and JP versions ended up with a choice - the original "dark" path, and a "light" path that saw you actually overcome the Mark and re-found the Hongmoon School. Then things proceeded like pointed out, the light path offered technically more rewards so from a meta perspective it was an obvious choice, and a lot of people never liked the dark path anyway. So as of 2015 the whole thing is a single path, which is what we're getting.

However, the opening of act 3 stuff... :psyduck: Why would you do that? I'm a liberal-as-gently caress localization dude and I would never consider a story change that sweeping! It's more a pain in the rear end to do that than to just go with it as written! Why would you make that much extra work for yourself?

This game's localization makes my head spin sometimes. :psyduck:

Anyway, on a different tack: do any of y'all BnS vets have some idea whether this hairstyle is currently available to players, and if it isn't, when it will be?

I'd rather like to co-opt this NPC wholesale for my eventual Warlock, but that hair doesn't seem to be available to players at present.

(I'd also like to get those "Stratus Scholar" robes, but I'm guessing those will come down the line. :v:)

In the original KR version, act 4 has you being mushin's puppet, literally possessed by him and forced to murder your allies in a bid for power. As you pointed out, this didn't stand well with players who hated the lack of PC agency. In CN, this was changed to you merely being his acolyte and not being nearly so nasty, but then near the end you also had the choice to redeem yourself. Then meta-poo poo happened.

Further edit: The hairstyle is available for female lyns, yes (well, the ears are. iunno about the hair proper). They've stated all NPCs were made using the character creator, even the generic mobs so it stands to reason it should be?.

Edit: I should mention, remember how madun talks about how he's had a vision of you in the NA version when you meet him in the cave? well naturally that's changed. In KR he doesn't have a vision of you, he recognizes you as the person who saved his village because, naturally, you went back in time (inadverently because of his own incompetence) to do it! Stable time loops!

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Krilion posted:

Old Man Cho has GoonTang Forever, Red clan. Any member can invite, but Yurifel and Black Daimyonite are two higher ups.

Added

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So what's this thing I keep hearing that LBD is 'bad' DPS? I was under the impression there was no 'required' party comps in BnS, even at 50 content. I keep getting kicked from 4man poharan for being an LBD?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HapiMerchant posted:

So what's this thing I keep hearing that LBD is 'bad' DPS? I was under the impression there was no 'required' party comps in BnS, even at 50 content. I keep getting kicked from 4man poharan for being an LBD?

The community is poo poo. But doesn't the party finder prevent you from being kicked as long as you aren't disconnected?

LBD does have lower sustained single target dps than other classes, but not enough to not run with one.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HapiMerchant posted:

Further edit: The hairstyle is available for female lyns, yes (well, the ears are. iunno about the hair proper). They've stated all NPCs were made using the character creator, even the generic mobs so it stands to reason it should be?.

The ears/tail are easy enough to find, but that hairstyle is actually flat-out not available at character creation. I was wondering if it was a drop or something. Several similar haircuts are available, but that upturned bob isn't.

This is about as close as the character creator comes to that hairstyle. Still isn't quite the same.

If the hairstyle's a drop or something, that's cool, I just want to be sure I know where to get it. :v:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The community is poo poo. But doesn't the party finder prevent you from being kicked as long as you aren't disconnected?

LBD does have lower sustained single target dps than other classes, but not enough to not run with one.

Well, it's either working or people just leave the group when they see me as an LBD. I do get that we're not as sustained, but it's not like we can't do any DPS. We're just more bursty (and with true profane proc and the proper lightning spec, i'm in draw stance more then i'm not honestly)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

HapiMerchant posted:

Well, it's either working or people just leave the group when they see me as an LBD. I do get that we're not as sustained, but it's not like we can't do any DPS. We're just more bursty (and with true profane proc and the proper lightning spec, i'm in draw stance more then i'm not honestly)

No, seriously. The community is loving toxic. I'm actually not sure what on earth has made it this bad, it goes rather beyond the simple toxicity of free to play masses or even debatable "anime game" toxicity (which I've often found to not be as true). You are getting kicked because pubbies are lovely about literally everything in this game, or at least the current high-end ones are.

It may get less bad as time goes on and things get populated, but right now the high end is just literally a canister of toxic waste. Run with Goons or there but for the grace of Hong go you. At least the lack of self-awareness makes for utterly delicious PVP salt, especially as a Summoner.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

Well, I sort of figured this might happen because Western players seem to get overly attached to the 'meta'.

It's mostly bullshit propagated by KR/TW players because people were having issues on some of the lv50 4mans and their tight enrage timers, and by design BDs are more burst than sustained in terms of raw numbers, and there's no DPS parser to tell people otherwise. So people look at it on paper and just assume it's not keeping up.

On top of that their grab is currently inferior to Destroyers; no crit buff, weird hitbox issues, and longer cooldown, which again caused some party dps issues. A lot of this was before some of the recent patches though where they've gotten some buffs. The grab still needs to be fixed though, I mean the talent to give it a crit buff is RIGHT THERE in the tree you just literally can't get it yet.

So naturally all the new players just take the KR/TW players word as gospel and don't ever try to figure things out any other way, despite none of those things I listed even being an issue at 45 because the enrage timers are super lax. I'm also convinced that it's just people not trying hard enough to do the fight correctly even on KR, since I've seen BDs do some of these 4mans just fine.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

No, seriously. The community is loving toxic. I'm actually not sure what on earth has made it this bad, it goes rather beyond the simple toxicity of free to play masses or even debatable "anime game" toxicity (which I've often found to not be as true). You are getting kicked because pubbies are lovely about literally everything in this game, or at least the current high-end ones are.

It may get less bad as time goes on and things get populated, but right now the high end is just literally a canister of toxic waste. Run with Goons or there but for the grace of Hong go you. At least the lack of self-awareness makes for utterly delicious PVP salt, especially as a Summoner.

cathead posted:

Well, I sort of figured this might happen because Western players seem to get overly attached to the 'meta'.

It's mostly bullshit propagated by KR/TW players because people were having issues on some of the lv50 4mans and their tight enrage timers, and by design BDs are more burst than sustained in terms of raw numbers, and there's no DPS parser to tell people otherwise. So people look at it on paper and just assume it's not keeping up.

On top of that their grab is currently inferior to Destroyers; no crit buff, weird hitbox issues, and longer cooldown, which again caused some party dps issues. A lot of this was before some of the recent patches though where they've gotten some buffs. The grab still needs to be fixed though, I mean the talent to give it a crit buff is RIGHT THERE in the tree you just literally can't get it yet.

So naturally all the new players just take the KR/TW players word as gospel and don't ever try to figure things out any other way, despite none of those things I listed even being an issue at 45 because the enrage timers are super lax. I'm also convinced that it's just people not trying hard enough to do the fight correctly even on KR, since I've seen BDs do some of these 4mans just fine.

Thanks for the kind words. I agree the community just parrots anything KR says, because I also hear people say that come feb 10th and the (limited) hongmoon skills LBD gets crap at arena and that by the time 50 content hits LBDs will be bottom of the barrel trash. Basically, gently caress pubs, is what i'm saying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cathead posted:

This is the worst thing about MMOs these days :negative: Who cares if a player is "underperforming" if you still breeze through a dungeon. It's even worse in games that have damage meters, and I've been kicked from groups in games like FFXIV for not doing enough damage as a healer because min-maxing is the name of the game. I miss the old days when companies had no idea how to design games and players had no idea how to play them. Raiding Molten Core with 40 clueless people trying to do their best was a blast :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HapiMerchant posted:

I actually got confused and thought it was time travel in the English version.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I regret opening my regium corvus on my female gon destroyer main rather than my male jin assassin alt. The regium corvus just looks kinda crap on chicks honestly. Wish we could have the EU costume, that one looks pretty sick on everyone.

Oh well, back to endlessly grinding for Obsidian Serpent. It should drop someday, right? Right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Rumor has it that the NA/EU designer rewards will swap when a new round of Daily Dash starts.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

jaffyjaffy posted:

Anything I should be saving my Brilliant Moonwater Key for? The Profane weapon is what I keep hearing to use it on since that boss is annoying.

The Profane weapon wasn't too bad for me. Something about open world bosses/wheels of fortune vs loading screens and dungeons makes the latter a less fun experience if you have to grind them out. I'm stuck on the Forgotten Brightstone weapon and the golem duo dungeon can be a pain in the rear end if you have to pub it up with people dropping dead left and right the whole run. The gauntlet dropped on either my first or second run but some summoner dropped like 1.3g+ on it and my gut reaction to it was to bail on that at the time. I"m kinda wishing I grabbed it because I'm coming up on having used that many keys in gold and just so much more time wasted.

I only have 4 purple weapons left to get, but realistically, the Forgotten Brightstone is the last one I can see myself actually being able to use. The upgrade costs jump from ~8g for the the Forgotten Brightstone to around ~50g for the Storm Siren weapon. The Siren weapons are also available to buy with tokens while the Dark Pirate weapon is nearly 100g to upgrade to at current prices. I'm probably gonna end up using the Brilliant key on this weapon soon if my luck stays lovely.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 2, 2016

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

cathead posted:

With the unbalanced fun that is lv45 without hongmoon skills or levels, I'm pretty sure my BD is pumping out more damage than my Sin anyway. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Recently some addon makers managed to obtain teammates DPS data on ESO and for a few days in that game too there were the usual shitheads kicking players because they were "dragging the party down". :v:
Thankfully that was patched out quickly but it goes to show that min-maxing players that project their failings on their party are present in all MMOs and that you should always try to play with goons.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Schubalts posted:

Rumor has it that the NA/EU designer rewards will swap when a new round of Daily Dash starts.

I didn't know EU had a different costume, but theirs looks way better than the regium for women.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

radintorov posted:

it goes to show that min-maxing players that project their failings on their party are present in all MMOs and that you should always try to play with goons.

but I thought you just said not to play with players that project their failings in the party?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The fact of the matter is everyone is poo poo and you're just going to have to deal with it, unless you find a specific static group of people you actually trust.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im leaving my regium for my summoner. The cleavage window is more like a neckbone hole for them. Probably give theuna for a birdwoman fm or necro if its out by then

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im leaving my regium for my summoner. The cleavage window is more like a neckbone hole for them. Probably give theuna for a birdwoman fm or necro if its out by then

Birdwoman?

This game is getting birdpeople?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

but I thought you just said not to play with players that project their failings in the party?
Yeah, but those guys don't know that they are bad, whereas we goons know that we are. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Birdwoman?

This game is getting birdpeople?

Yun are birdwomen. You just need to coax it out a little

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have an Element of Luck that has a lot more XP than what my weapon needs to upgrade. Will all that extra XP be transferred over to the upgrade or be lost?

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

jabro posted:

I have an Element of Luck that has a lot more XP than what my weapon needs to upgrade. Will all that extra XP be transferred over to the upgrade or be lost?

It won't Also save those for later levels, like when doing Profane and up. Way more worth it at later weapon levels. Hell, maybe even save them for Pirate or True Warrior stages.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So am I understanding it right that the big story choice in the spoilers won't actually be a choice, and we'll be railroaded?

Reading through all of that I was super excited to basically get to found the Wuxia version of the Cobra Kai dojo. :(

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

HapiMerchant posted:

SpaceDrake posted:

The ears/tail are easy enough to find, but that hairstyle is actually flat-out not available at character creation.
Going to go ahead and straight up confirm that NPCs use settings that are unavailable in the character creator. I've been working on a npc -> preset exporter and its not just hair styles and other selectables, but the actual sliders are sometimes set beyond the race/gender limits. For example, NPC_GattlingGunGirl has shoulders that are smaller than the minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwag
Apr 23, 2008
I think I found the catch of the game... I farmed up so many pretty princess outfits if I don't keep premium I have no space in any inventory. On the other hand small price to pay to look fabulous all the time.

• Locked thread