Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

KillHour posted:

My presentation/interview is in 2 hrs and 45 mins. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and in that time I think I may have a heart attack.

So... How's everybody doin?

Going to vegas for a conference in 2 weeks for work so pretty good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

My presentation/interview is in 2 hrs and 45 mins. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and in that time I think I may have a heart attack.

My daughter turned 6 months old about a week ago and she's been getting too needy for me to watch her and also work from home. Unfortunately, childcare is also prohibitively expensive, and she has a congenital problem that makes me not completely trust any daycare until she has surgery to relieve it. So, I've been putting her to bed at 9 PM and working from around 9:30 PM-3:30 AM. I was chronically tired all the time before starting this schedule, but it turns out I'm not really any more tired on 4 hours of sleep than I was on 8 hours of sleep. I'm actually less stressed during the day because I'm getting more done.

Life is weird. Kids are weird.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Soon we will be setting up several new clusters. The last time we did this was 2012 by my recollection. Any documentation was may have had is almost certainly woefully out of date.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

How did it go?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

stubblyhead posted:

How did it go?

The heart attack? Obviously it went off without a hitch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

How did it go?

Another presentation on Monday. Hopefully after 2 phone interviews, a Skype interview, and 2 Webex presentations, I'll finally get an offer. :sigh:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Another presentation on Monday. Hopefully after 2 phone interviews, a Skype interview, and 2 Webex presentations, I'll finally get an offer. :sigh:

Heh, look at this guy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

Wait so the guy wanted you to drop everything immediately to do the presentation sooner, and now he's stringing you along and costing more vacation time?

Something doesn't add up there

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Wait so the guy wanted you to drop everything immediately to do the presentation sooner, and now he's stringing you along and costing more vacation time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlwwVuSUUfc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Next Monday was the original date for the presentation. After I told him I couldn't do yesterday morning for the executives in Israel, he had me do a one on one presentation with just him last night. For reasons. :iiam:

Also, I don't get vacation time. I'm not getting paid for next Monday.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 2, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

At what point do you say enough is enough when it comes to interviewing for a job? The most I've ever had was a phone screening, 1st interview that was informal, and then a second more technical interview and overview of future projects and IT needs. If I ever have to past that I think I'll just say no unless I'm really desperate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At what point do you say enough is enough when it comes to interviewing for a job? The most I've ever had was a phone screening, 1st interview that was informal, and then a second more technical interview and overview of future projects and IT needs. If I ever have to past that I think I'll just say no unless I'm really desperate.

More senior positions and management positions may require a bit more vetting.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

My daughter turned 6 months old about a week ago and she's been getting too needy for me to watch her and also work from home. Unfortunately, childcare is also prohibitively expensive, and she has a congenital problem that makes me not completely trust any daycare until she has surgery to relieve it. So, I've been putting her to bed at 9 PM and working from around 9:30 PM-3:30 AM. I was chronically tired all the time before starting this schedule, but it turns out I'm not really any more tired on 4 hours of sleep than I was on 8 hours of sleep. I'm actually less stressed during the day because I'm getting more done.

Life is weird. Kids are weird.

if going from 8 to 4 hours of sleep doesn't change how you feel, and you're chronically tired either way, maybe you have sleep apnea?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methanar posted:

Everythings going well.

oof.

How'd that turn out?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Depends on the position. I'd never be doing this if it wasn't a major step up in my career. This is a very senior position within the company.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

When I interviewed with Google, it involved: a recruiter phone screen, two hour-long technical phone screens, and a ~6 hour onsite (which did include lunch). Plus several hours on the phone with their recruiter here and there about various things. Not getting that job after investing all that time sure was a kick in the nuts!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Docjowles posted:

When I interviewed with Google, it involved: a recruiter phone screen, two hour-long technical phone screens, and a ~6 hour onsite (which did include lunch). Plus several hours on the phone with their recruiter here and there about various things. Not getting that job after investing all that time sure was a kick in the nuts!

I'm all for proper vetting, both from the companies perspective and the employees. It is nice to have that second interview to just give you a better idea of what you'd be walking into. Six hours just seems like to much for me. I'm sure for a lot of people who are already working it wouldn't even be possible or likely to take off that much time to interview for that long.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Google is well known for having some of the most involved interviews in the industry.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
in the pharma industry the standard is seven to fourteen interviews for a new hire at any level

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy crap.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
First job in the industry involved a phone interview, an interview with the CEO, then an interview with the president, then an interview with the support team. Each took 1 to 2 hours of unpaid time. The only reason I kept doing it was because I really wanted to break into IT, and I figured it was reasonable enough because I had no tech experience.

If a company tried to pull that poo poo on me now I'd need an offer for 20% over what I make now to get past that second interview.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

First job in the industry involved a phone interview, an interview with the CEO, then an interview with the president, then an interview with the support team. Each took 1 to 2 hours of unpaid time. The only reason I kept doing it was because I really wanted to break into IT, and I figured it was reasonable enough because I had no tech experience.

If a company tried to pull that poo poo on me now I'd need an offer for 20% over what I make now to get past that second interview.

This one is double, so... yeah.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

if going from 8 to 4 hours of sleep doesn't change how you feel, and you're chronically tired either way, maybe you have sleep apnea?
It's a possibility, but more likely it's a side effect of the maelstrom of inflammatory conditions I have whirling around. I'm doing much better since I cut out sulfites, mostly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

KillHour posted:

This one is double, so... yeah.

Double the 20% mentioned in the quoted post or double your current pay?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Next Monday was the original date for the presentation. After I told him I couldn't do yesterday morning for the executives in Israel, he had me do a one on one presentation with just him last night. For reasons. :iiam:

Also, I don't get vacation time. I'm not getting paid for next Monday.

What you're going through sounds like the sketchiest bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Double the 20% mentioned in the quoted post or double your current pay?

Double my current pay.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What you're going through sounds like the sketchiest bullshit.

It's really not as bad as I'm making it seem. I only had to take half a day off work total. The rest was done late at night because that's what works for both our schedules.

He's being kind of over-thorough and seems like kind of an odd guy, but I understand it considering I'm 26 and would basically be managing myself with no backup if I got the job.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Double the pay isn't worth it if you get the job and then quit within the month because the company is run like a giant shitshow :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mad Wack posted:

in the pharma industry the standard is seven to fourteen interviews for a new hire at any level

But they don't ask if you've ever had a driving infraction until 5 interviews in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sheep posted:

Double the pay isn't worth it if you get the job and then quit within the month because the company is run like a giant shitshow :v:

It's a major company in the industry. It can't be that bad. Besides; if it's terrible, I only need to hang on long enough to be able to put it on my resume and not look bad.

Also, not having health insurance is making pretty much anything look good right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Also, not having health insurance is making pretty much anything look good right now.

Focus on moving to a country with a real healthcare system instead imo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

If fishes were wishes, man. :smith:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh suuurrre like there are magical places out there that prevent employers from firing people without cause, in countries where heathcare is provided in full by the company or government, vacation and sick time is both mandatory and plentiful, and maternity / paternity leave is acceptable :rolleyes:

Get real, this is the thunderdome America

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

oh suuurrre like there are magical places out there that prevent employers from firing people without cause, in countries where heathcare is provided in full by the company or government, vacation and sick time is both mandatory and plentiful, and maternity / paternity leave is acceptable :rolleyes:

Get real, this is the thunderdome America

*fires guns in the air*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oof.

How'd that turn out?

There was an incorrect dns record on a second DC for the first DC. Forcing replication after updating the record fixed it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

He's being kind of over-thorough and seems like kind of an odd guy, but I understand it considering I'm 26 and would basically be managing myself with no backup if I got the job.
When I was 26 I was given a formality interview at a diner before being hired to run a group of 10 engineers with a $2m cap budget, age shouldn't factor in whatsoever

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

When I was 26 I was given a formality interview at a diner before being hired to run a group of 10 engineers with a $2m cap budget, age shouldn't factor in whatsoever

I agree, but this is a company ran by a bunch of old people. Age discrimination is a thing. :shrug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

I agree, but this is a company ran by a bunch of old people. Age discrimination is a thing. :shrug:

Listen, you clearly want this job and it sounds a lot better than what you have right now but honestly you're kind of hand-waving away stuff that is legitimate red-flag material.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

Listen, you clearly want this job and it sounds a lot better than what you have right now but honestly you're kind of hand-waving away stuff that is legitimate red-flag material.

He's 26 though, if he's going to turn a colossal mistake into one of the biggest learning opportunities of his life this is the time to do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Trust me, I'm aware. I'm a physical security sales engineer with 5 years of experience doing tier 1 tech support with no benefits because I was running out of unemployment.

I need something in my industry.

Edit: My last ticket was "User's mapped drives are missing. Solution: Had user log off and back on."

This is not a good use of my skill set.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KillHour posted:

Trust me, I'm aware. I'm a physical security sales engineer with 5 years of experience doing tier 1 tech support with no benefits because I was running out of unemployment.

I need something in my industry.

Edit: My last ticket was "User's mapped drives are missing. Solution: Had user log off and back on."

This is not a good use of my skill set.

Should've done a gpupdate