Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

blowfish posted:

Bitspergs heads exploded because their coins simultaneously became more scarce yet were wasted on a non-cult activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXkD1BC564

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molog
Mar 4, 2004
Title text
There are also the 1000+ pump and dump bitcoin clones, most of which still have a couple of true believers waiting for their coin to take off. It's sad in a way.

Garza's brother getting interviewed by the sec and answering every question with the same sentence: “I’m very frightened, I don’t understand this type of law. I want to help in any way I can, but I’d have to have an attorney present, and this time I can’t afford one”

Cryptsy running all their different coins on the same machine and one of them having an irc backdoor, getting all their money "stolen" and then continuing for another year and a half.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Molog posted:

Cryptsy running all their different coins on the same machine and one of them having an irc backdoor, getting all their money "stolen" and then continuing for another year and a half.

This is a totally typical naive libertarian thing to do, too. I completely believe them when they say that they were hoping they'd be able to use profits to refill customer wallets with nobody noticing, it's a completely innocent and childlike thing to do. It also wouldn't surprise me if they wound up getting robbed several more times in that year and a half period

Come to think of it, the childish behavior of libertarians is probably why so many of them are pedophiles; they're just looking for an intellectual equal

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

This is a totally typical naive libertarian thing to do, too. I completely believe them when they say that they were hoping they'd be able to use profits to refill customer wallets with nobody noticing, it's a completely innocent and childlike thing to do. It also wouldn't surprise me if they wound up getting robbed several more times in that year and a half period

Come to think of it, the childish behavior of libertarians is probably why so many of them are pedophiles; they're just looking for an intellectual equal
This is also my theory for what happened to Mt. Gox, only Karpeles was also using customer funds as operating funds, so it's all one big clusterfuck of scams, theft, and idiocy.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

This is also my theory for what happened to Mt. Gox, only Karpeles was also using customer funds as operating funds, so it's all one big clusterfuck of scams, theft, and idiocy.

in addition to using customer funds as operating funds, magic the gathering online exchange dot com also had only one real-money account that all its business was conducted throug -, and it wasnt even a business account but rather mark karpeles own personal bank account

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Ayn Randi posted:

in addition to using customer funds as operating funds, magic the gathering online exchange dot com also had only one real-money account that all its business was conducted throug -, and it wasnt even a business account but rather mark karpeles own personal bank account

That's because the traditional banking partners that MTGOX needs to work with are not able to keep up with the demands of the growing Bitcoin economy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

now i'm trying to remember the name of that guy who was one of bitcoin's earliest and biggest boosters who got busted as a pedophile, shortly after he insisted that they hold a big bitcoin convention in a city in thailand known for pedophilia. someone please help me refine my google search

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

now i'm trying to remember the name of that guy who was one of bitcoin's earliest and biggest boosters who got busted as a pedophile, shortly after he insisted that they hold a big bitcoin convention in a city in thailand known for pedophilia. someone please help me refine my google search

Bruce Wagner. We never actually proved he was a diddler, but his rhetoric regarding Thai prostitutes and adamant insistence on Pattaya, Child Prostitution Capital of the World, created reasonable suspicion.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Bible posted:

Bruce Wagner. We never actually proved he was a diddler, but his rhetoric regarding Thai prostitutes and adamant insistence on Pattaya, Child Prostitution Capital of the World, created reasonable suspicion.

At least Tony Gallippi waited until they were thirteen. "uh I think you'll find the word is ephebotarian"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Of course there was more than one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Bible posted:

Isn't that the same guy who hosted The Bitcoin Show?

Angela Christine posted:

Booze can still be tainted though. Unregulated booze is famous for sometimes containing the stuff that makes you blind/dead.
It reminds me of the one episode of Moonshiners that I watched, and the cop they were following got a tip from an informant that a moonshiner was adding bleach to cut down the proof on his homemade liquor.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 1, 2016

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Only registered members can see post attachments!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's the huge silhouette taking up most of the picture there? Looks vaguely person shaped but I can't see anything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

revmoo posted:

What's the huge silhouette taking up most of the picture there? Looks vaguely person shaped but I can't see anything.

It's John Cena

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Andrast posted:

It's John Cena

:thejoke:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Bible posted:

This guy was outed by 3 Olives, right?

3O has become an inexplicably decent poster these past couple years and it is scary and confusing

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
He (Bruce) also had convictions for mortgage fraud, and was a male prostitute who was available for double bookings with hes partner ('Manny', I think)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ryoshi posted:

3O has become an inexplicably decent poster these past couple years and it is scary and confusing

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ryoshi posted:

3O did a bunch of investigations and discovered Bruce was wanted in relations to mortgage fraud, effectively swindling desperate people out of their savings as they tried to stay on top of mortgages. During that time people accused 3O of being homophobic towards Bruce.

The OneTV channel ran out of Bruce's New York Condo which featured the camera displaying it's demo functions for the first few episodes and soon became blacklisted by every take-away store in New York as everyone prank called in food and vibrated his phone off the sofa.

Another insane Bitcoiner story was one guy who was trading off his wallet on a USB key via a meet in a carpark. Fearing some other bystanders there would mug him for his stick he takes the drastic course and swallowed it. His meet never showed up and the bystanders couldn't care less about a figity nerd.
Cue sometime later and the guy is chasing that stick down with laxatives while desperately posting about how long it would take to poo poo out and has he lost all of his coins?

Oh and the rigs. The gradual evolution of milk-crates in the snow, elaborate racks cooled by Wal-Mart fans and moving up to USB sticks shoved in jars of oil or cheap Chinese brought arrays that would burn out.
And everything strung together in the most ghetto way imaginable, all the while drawing enough power to start melting wiring and blowing fuses.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ryoshi posted:

Don't forget that Bruce Wagner's supporters have retaliated by calling Three Olives homophobic. :allears:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Renfield posted:

He (Bruce) also had convictions for mortgage fraud, and was a male prostitute who was available for double bookings with hes partner ('Manny', I think)

Haha I didn't know about the prostitution

I remember his boyfriend actually seemed pretty cool, Bruce was an out of shape weirdo though

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't forget the action packed chase scene of pursuing a bitcoin scammer over the top of a moving train by throwing penny shavings into a coin tumbler.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This news story is relevant to the Internet of Things and pedophiles, apparently the awesomely-named search engine Shodan lets you search for Internet of Things video streams, so you can go looking for live feeds of kids in classrooms or babies sleeping

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/how-to-search-the-internet-of-things-for-photos-of-sleeping-babies/

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Razorwired posted:

Is Wired still black holing coins on purpose? Because that was the best Bitcoin troll.

I did not know what you meant by that, so I searched for "bitcoin black hole".

Got a lot of strange results, inclduing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PFgQmXc5So

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WebDog posted:

Oh and the rigs. The gradual evolution of milk-crates in the snow, elaborate racks cooled by Wal-Mart fans and moving up to USB sticks shoved in jars of oil or cheap Chinese brought arrays that would burn out.

And everything strung together in the most ghetto way imaginable, all the while drawing enough power to start melting wiring and blowing fuses.
Don't forget that one guy who tried to run a BitCoin mining rig straight out of his bedroom without ventilating it, and after just one night he drat-near killed himself via heat stroke.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't forget that one guy who tried to run a BitCoin mining rig straight out of his bedroom without ventilating it, and after just one night he drat-near killed himself via heat stroke.

Or just dumping out a dewar of liquid nitrogen on the floor in a hotel for ultimate cooling!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Liquid cooling is what all the serious people do to make things work faster right? So if I take this USB miner that's getting super hot and dunk it in a mason jar of oil then everything will be perfect.

Bitcoin: Cargo Cult Physics

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe if they could use the waste heat to spin a turbine which would generate electricity which could be used to power fans to cool the miners...

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SumYungGui posted:

Don't forget the action packed chase scene of pursuing a bitcoin scammer over the top of a moving train by throwing penny shavings into a coin tumbler.

and then realizing later that what he thought were the scammers coins were actually just an exchange doing regular tumbling

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Adix posted:

and then realizing later that what he thought were the scammers coins were actually just an exchange doing regular tumbling

Bitcoin: a currency where "regular tumbling" is a concept.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

SumYungGui posted:

That entire sentence makes no sense in my head. Did... did bitcoins make me retarded just by existing?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bitcoin: a currency where "regular tumbling" is a concept.

Gotta obfuscate the source of the coins before they meet the fate of all bitcoin exchanges: getting "hacked".

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Bubblyblubber posted:

That entire sentence makes no sense in my head. Did... did bitcoins make me retarded just by existing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPwkTfdZnrM&t=49s

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

So... Bitcoins didn't make me retarded, at least.

Good, I guess. Good to know.

That'll do, bitcoins. That will do.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

QuarkJets posted:

This news story is relevant to the Internet of Things and pedophiles, apparently the awesomely-named search engine Shodan lets you search for Internet of Things video streams, so you can go looking for live feeds of kids in classrooms or babies sleeping

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/how-to-search-the-internet-of-things-for-photos-of-sleeping-babies/

why are there live feeds of that anyway???

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

FishionMailed posted:

Of what? Sleeping babies? If so it's just panic-stricken parents afraid the wee ones will stop breathing the moment they stop staring. Calm down there, Cletus.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I'm just saying it's like 'oh we put a live internet feed of our infant in class out there and now there's perverts looking at her!'

well yeah, idiot, of course. password protect that poo poo at least if you really must see your child having nap time because you're that much of a helicopter parent.

it's like saying 'oh I went to the beach with my 5 yr old and didn't put sunscreen on her and now she's burned!' well no poo poo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FishionMailed posted:

People buy IP cameras to keep an eye on kids or elderly relatives and don't bother to secure them because security is hard and makes things inconvenient.

I can understand Joe Schmoe not being able to setup a VPN, but not even setting a basic password on the grandma cam is pretty lazy. Even scarier is when people scan IP addresses and find things like unsecured telnet access to industrial power equipment.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

The_Franz posted:

not even setting a basic password on the grandma cam is pretty lazy.

that's all I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Fission Mailed.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 2, 2016

• Locked thread