Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Four Score posted:

Please, the Discount Avengers would have had Green Arrow and Flash along. They're the Discount Doom Patrol, and I'm only saying that because I actually like the plucky underdogs.

They're Discount Avengers, it's just that the team he was referring to was the Great Lakes Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one that finds the un-focused action scenes incredibly dull? It's literally just the actors running around waving their props. It's like the direction was: "Just do whatever, we'll fix it in post". :psyduck:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xealot posted:

"Watch me drink wine out of the skull of Carter Hall." Embrace straight-up cartoonish villainy, but in a Conan kind of way.

I really hope they do that. He's killed them 207 times, he totally could have a pile of their skulls by now

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

Am I the only one that finds the un-focused action scenes incredibly dull? It's literally just the actors running around waving their props. It's like the direction was: "Just do whatever, we'll fix it in post". :psyduck:

CW has three modes for all character shows. soap opera, dramatic pose, and dance-dance revolution.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TEAH SYAG posted:

CW has three modes for all character shows. soap opera, dramatic pose, and dance-dance revolution.

I haven't watched Arrow for ages but the action scenes in the Flash aren't normally this bad.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

TEAH SYAG posted:

Its all part of the charm!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

I too love me some Clancy Brown but he's looking just a tad too old to be playing a threatening Immortal.

Better than the current guy's "dude who takes LARPing Vampire the Masquerade too seriously" look.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Better than the current guy's "dude who takes LARPing Vampire the Masquerade too seriously" look.

I'd give a lot to see him have a winner-takes-all game of rock paper scissors with the team :v:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I will forgive this show many things because they killed Carter. It's enough to carry me through the season at least.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sbaldrick posted:

I will forgive this show many things because they killed Carter. It's enough to carry me through the season at least.

Jesus loving Christ, why would they even kill her if she's the main title character, no wonder this show does poo poo ratings

e: wrong thread

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Xoidanor posted:

I haven't watched Arrow for ages but the action scenes in the Flash aren't normally this bad.

Arrow has actually really stepped up their action scenes this season, they've really changed up the fight choreography and how they film the scenes. I'm guessing the cinematographer and/or fight coordinator saw that hallway fight in daredevil and it blew their mind. Speedy fighting that goon in the elevator was great.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xealot posted:

Also, on a more philosophical level, he was scary because he showed what happens to a person when they have no fear of death. After thousands of years of life, all empathy or sense of moral purpose had rotted away, and all that was left of him was a sociopath who saw in humanity its worst and most corrupt qualities. The discourse between Henry (a humanist) and Adam (an absolute nihilist) was the best part of the show, by far.

Henry's face in the moment that he realized that Adam was him, only in another 2,000 years was the best moment of the show IMO.

Seriously that show was great, I wish it hadn't been shitcanned after 1 season.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 2, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another thing they could have done. Go back to a few minutes after they dusted Savage the first time and get the ashes, fire them into space.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

greatn posted:

Another thing they could have done. Go back to a few minutes after they dusted Savage the first time and get the ashes, fire them into space.

Or have Firestorm literally grab him and fly him out of the atmosphere. At any point where they confront him. See what happens when they exceed escape velocity and propel him into space.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xealot posted:

Or have Firestorm literally grab him and fly him out of the atmosphere. At any point where they confront him. See what happens when they exceed escape velocity and propel him into space.

Isn't that basically what happened with Doomsday? He gets chained to an asteroid and sends him floating off into interstellar space. Have fun being unable to die alone out in the black.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

or they can just drop him into a volcano! they are so stupid lol!!!!!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The episode summary for this week says:

“Rip (Arthur Darvill) decides to weaken Vandal Savage (Casper Crump) by going after his financial assets. Rip and Sara (Caity Lotz) infiltrate Savage’s bank, but are discovered by his men. Meanwhile, Snart (Wentworth Miller) and Rory (Dominic Purcell) talk Jax (Franz Drameh) into taking the jump ship back to Central City so they can steal a valuable emerald. Professor Stein (Victor Garber) guides Ray (Brandon Routh) on a dangerous mission.”

So it sounds like they're going after Savage at least somewhat intelligently this time.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

It's quite typical for ensemble comic book action scenes. I like the widescreen organized mayhem and it makes rewatches more interesting.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Xoidanor posted:

As Binary Logic points out, it's a deliberate homage to how big action scenes tend to look in comics.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

As Binary Logic points out, it's a deliberate homage to how big action scenes tend to look in comics.

Deliberate homage, or working within a budget?

I'd say it's 15% the former, 85% the latter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would be cheaper and easier not to do it that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

enraged_camel posted:

You say that mockingly, but yes, they could and they are. Vandal Savage is not a credible threat to these people.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's actually pretty clear that their main enemy is the timeline.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I'm not in love with the action scenes, I'm not really sure who/what to compare them to- in terms of producing these things for TV I think they're perfectly acceptable? The 'Atom flys across the warehoues as we get a brief glimpse of everyone doing their thing' was a pretty well executed shot, IMO. I mean it doesn't help that CW is pretty much the only place they're trying to do TV superheroes aside from Supergirl? And from the pilot I wasn't overly impressed with their action scenes either.

I do feel it's meant to be something of an homage to big team fight scenes like Binary Logic said.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Whizbang posted:

They're Discount Avengers, it's just that the team he was referring to was the Great Lakes Avengers.

They at least hast Squirrel Girl.

I liked this a lot more than the first episode, and while Savage did seem more of a threat, he still doesn't seem this team should be able to take him down. Oh he a nuke! But then we have a dude that can totally absorb the energy from it.

Caity Lotz looked super cute in her mid 70s outfit, though hopefully there won't be an 80s episode where she's doing rails casually.

And hasn't Hawkgirl become more important than Hawkman recently? I mean she was front and center in the JL animated shows.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

enraged_camel posted:

Giving him control of the Mishima Zaibatsu would strengthen Savage, not weaken him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The action scenes suffer because most of the team's powers overlap and are visually boring. Hawkgirl flies. Captain Cold shoots an ice gun with no discernible effect. Heat Wave shoots a fire gun with no discernible effect. Firestorm flies AND shoots fire with no discernible effect. Rip Hunter shoots a laser gun with no discernible effect. Atom flies AND shoots lasers with no discernible effect. And sometimes does it while tiny. It's all very samey and kind of boring looking. Canary is the only one that does any actual action stuff.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

It's actually pretty clear that their main enemy is this thread.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

The action scenes suffer because most of the team's powers overlap and are visually boring. Hawkgirl flies. Captain Cold shoots an ice gun with no discernible effect. Heat Wave shoots a fire gun with no discernible effect. Firestorm flies AND shoots fire with no discernible effect. Rip Hunter shoots a laser gun with no discernible effect. Atom flies AND shoots lasers with no discernible effect. And sometimes does it while tiny. It's all very samey and kind of boring looking. Canary is the only one that does any actual action stuff.

I watched the nuclear auction fight scene again and maybe there's so much going on you aren't seeing it all.
The ice and fire guns do have effects - and also double as close-combat concussive weapons. But this is not a team of psychopaths so they're trying to stun/neutralize/knock out the henchmen, not commit mass murder.
The real mystery is how they got past security with those huge guns hidden under their coats LOL.

And The Atom in flight is awesome. He's more effective than the Hawkcouple, in the first miniaturized sweep across the room he takes down 6 people in about 2 seconds, grows back to full size and immediately knocks out 2 more.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 5, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-O posted:

The action that you hated from the first avengers movie but now on a lower budget!!!

I mentally groan every time Firestorm shoots off at nothing for no discernible reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Binary Logic posted:

And The Atom in flight is awesome. He's more effective than the Hawkcouple, in the first miniaturized sweep across the room he takes down 6 people in about 2 seconds, grows back to full size and immediately knocks out 2 more.

Yeah, like I said earlier, growing back to full size reduces his effectiveness. Should have stayed shrunk.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

enraged_camel posted:

It's actually pretty clear that their main enemy is the timeline.

This is a pretty salient point. Savage can be a fairly passive villain because the team has to constantly worry about fixing their mistakes while trying to stop him.

Also, have you ever had a knife thrown at you? It's scary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw that Joe Dante is directing one of the later episodes. I don't know where he is careerwise right now, is that a good get or is that just the level that Joe Dante is operating at right now?

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

zoux posted:

I saw that Joe Dante is directing one of the later episodes. I don't know where he is careerwise right now, is that a good get or is that just the level that Joe Dante is operating at right now?

Joe Dante can still be Joe Dante. He probably really wanted to get in on this project. Has he directed anything Superhero-ish before? Gremlins is basically a superhero movie...kinda....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Howling Man posted:

Joe Dante can still be Joe Dante. He probably really wanted to get in on this project. Has he directed anything Superhero-ish before? Gremlins is basically a superhero movie...kinda....

Looking at his resume he's directed episodes of CSI:NY and Hawaii 5-0 :/

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I can't remember a major movie he directed since Looney Toons, which has got to be a least 10 years old at this point. Though I don't know if that is personal choice or if he can't get those jobs anymore. Either way, cartoonish action-comedy is definitely his wheelhouse so I suspect he actually wanted this job, as oppose to just being desperate.

Howling Man posted:

Small Soldiers wasn't a superhero movies but it had a lot of the same beats.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

Looking at his resume he's directed episodes of CSI:NY and Hawaii 5-0 :/

Directing episodes on CW seems like a nice semi retirement thing to do. John Badham (Saturday Night Fever, WarGames, lots more) is making eps of Arrow and Supernatural at age 76

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

I watched the nuclear auction fight scene again and maybe they're so much going on you aren't seeing it all.
The ice and fire guns do have effects - and also double as close-combat concussive weapons. But this is not a team of psychopaths so they're trying to stun/neutralize/knock out the henchmen, not commit mass murder.

Exactly. In fact they are trying to not kill anyone, since, unlike the Chronos dude, they have no way of knowing whether that person will have an effect on the timeline later.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wheat Loaf posted:

For instance, what if they meet a Hawkman who met, married and started a family with someone else before they ever met Hawkgirl or recovered his memories?

Alejandro Iñárritu made a movie about this. Birdman. He was a far better character as a hosed up father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

M_Gargantua posted:

Alejandro Iñárritu made a movie about this. Birdman. He was a far better character as a hosed up father.

I maintain that movie would've never happened without the Harvey Birdman series. :colbert:

• Locked thread