Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren:CE DRAMA'S A-BREWIN:siren:

Can't wait for :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Windows CE drama? I actually had that once. Thin clients at work that all ran CE.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It has been way too quiet. :f5:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Old CE or new CE?
Lightning Jim just told me old CE.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. :neckbeard:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Malek posted:

Old CE or new CE?
Lightning Jim just told me old CE.

He works for a school there is no CE at his current job.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So, essentially a problem has arisen at the television station that pretty much wrecks the entire studio broadcast related network. The sensor heads on the cameras send positional information via XLR to an ASR converter that turns it into a digital signal that is sent to the virtual set server via the network.

Sometimes, for some reason, anything with DHCP enabled in that room will poo poo the bed. This means that they cannot use their graphics system, so they can't play out video, display graphics, openers, closers, weather wall, nothing but straight video feed and audio. The fix is to unplug the ASR from the network and let it sit for a few hours. It's really stupid and I was working on separating it from the main network before I left.

Anyways, last time this happened, I managed to figure it out and fix it in about an hour. I documented the process in a ticket to refer to later, and told the CE everything about it.

Well, it happened yesterday afternoon.

:siren:Here's where CE comes in.:siren:

He was apparently up there until 4:00am trying to figure out what was wrong.

I was getting pictures and updates from various employees throughout the night.

A few choice quotes from the director:

"He has replaced the network card four times now." - 8:00
"I think we're making progress. We think it's a network issue." 10:30
"He's spent last four hours going outside to smoke and unplugging the same cable over and over." 2:00am

The problem still hasn't been fixed. We're expecting really severe weather all day, and the system won't allow for weather coverage.

CE has been exposed as a fraud. Department heads are furious and openly demanding that the GM call me to come fix it. If it hasn't been fixed by noon, I highly suspect he will call me, because the weather team will straight up mutiny.

This is all loving hilarious, because apparently since I quit he hasn't done a single drat thing and there are entire departments that are crippled because he simply won't (can't) fix anything.

I'm thinking I'm about to be rich as gently caress from consultation fees.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And you don't even have anyone to tell you to pick Europe over the boat! :v:

Not too soon I hope? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Remember to take a deep breath and not cackle like a maniac into the phone if/when that call comes.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

Or you bankrupt the station, either way it's win-win.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Remember to take a deep breath and not cackle like a maniac into the phone if/when that call comes.
Gets so excited he passes when the number comes up on his caller ID.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Every time you write about this TV station I wonder to myself are all TV stations this poorly ran and held together by prayers and duct tape or is this a particularly poorly run station. I mean at some point you'd think it would show on air that the station is a real poo poo show.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Every time you write about this TV station I wonder to myself are all TV stations this poorly ran and held together by prayers and duct tape or is this a particularly poorly run station. I mean at some point you'd think it would show on air that the station is a real poo poo show.

They're all like this, from my experience. The real trick to any television station is to hide how lovely the infrastructure is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

larchesdanrew posted:

So, essentially a problem has arisen at the television station that pretty much wrecks the entire studio broadcast related network. The sensor heads on the cameras send positional information via XLR to an ASR converter that turns it into a digital signal that is sent to the virtual set server via the network.

Sometimes, for some reason, anything with DHCP enabled in that room will poo poo the bed. This means that they cannot use their graphics system, so they can't play out video, display graphics, openers, closers, weather wall, nothing but straight video feed and audio. The fix is to unplug the ASR from the network and let it sit for a few hours. It's really stupid and I was working on separating it from the main network before I left.

Anyways, last time this happened, I managed to figure it out and fix it in about an hour. I documented the process in a ticket to refer to later, and told the CE everything about it.

Well, it happened yesterday afternoon.

:siren:Here's where CE comes in.:siren:

He was apparently up there until 4:00am trying to figure out what was wrong.

I was getting pictures and updates from various employees throughout the night.

A few choice quotes from the director:

"He has replaced the network card four times now." - 8:00
"I think we're making progress. We think it's a network issue." 10:30
"He's spent last four hours going outside to smoke and unplugging the same cable over and over." 2:00am

The problem still hasn't been fixed. We're expecting really severe weather all day, and the system won't allow for weather coverage.

CE has been exposed as a fraud. Department heads are furious and openly demanding that the GM call me to come fix it. If it hasn't been fixed by noon, I highly suspect he will call me, because the weather team will straight up mutiny.

This is all loving hilarious, because apparently since I quit he hasn't done a single drat thing and there are entire departments that are crippled because he simply won't (can't) fix anything.

This is simply beautiful.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Maybe it's time to up your fees? Unless you're past 5x salary's equivalent /hour.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

What a glorious thing to log in and see on a Monday morning.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The best part is that you actually gave him instructions on how to fix it, and it sounds like you weren't vague about it, either.

Eagerly awaiting updates.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

The best part is that you actually gave him instructions on how to fix it, and it sounds like you weren't vague about it, either.

Eagerly awaiting updates.

One of my close friends at the station actually has the ticket pulled up on his computer with concise instructions on the what, how, and why of fixing it. He's refusing to show this to anyone because he's also on his way out and wants to watch CE flail powerlessly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sometimes all people need is some rope

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So how exorbitant of a fee will you demand to even come on-site, let alone in terms of hourly rate and minimum hours?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How are they explaining this on the air? Just straight A/V has got to look like total rear end, especially considering how much they seem to love graphics and overlays and poo poo during the morning news.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MJP posted:

So how exorbitant of a fee will you demand to even come on-site, let alone in terms of hourly rate and minimum hours?

My normal rate is $150 an hour with a two hour minimum, but #bofh tough-loved me into shooting for at least $1200 just to fix this problem.

I might bump my rate to $300 an hour, depending on how much other stuff they might want fixed in the future. I'd love to bleed them dry, but I still need to keep it reasonable.

stubblyhead posted:

How are they explaining this on the air? Just straight A/V has got to look like total rear end, especially considering how much they seem to love graphics and overlays and poo poo during the morning news.

Technical Difficulties :downs:

Last time this happened, the sports guy just grabbed a white board and drew all the graphics live. It was actually hilarious.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
There's nothing unreasonable about $300/hr or a four hour minimum in a situation like this.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

My normal rate is $150 an hour with a two hour minimum, but #bofh tough-loved me into shooting for at least $1200 just to fix this problem.

I might bump my rate to $300 an hour, depending on how much other stuff they might want fixed in the future. I'd love to bleed them dry, but I still need to keep it reasonable.

$300 an hour may prompt them to actually look into resolving the CE issue, which is what they really need to do. Consider it doing the whole station a favor by charging that to make the problem readily apparent.

quote:

Technical Difficulties :downs:

Last time this happened, the sports guy just grabbed a white board and drew all the graphics live. It was actually hilarious.

stubblyhead posted:

There's nothing unreasonable about $300/hr or a four hour minimum in a situation like this.

This; you're non-contracted and being called on in an emergency. It'd be one thing if they had a contract of set dates and a block of hours with you to work on something, or if you actually had a good relationship with the place and you wanted to cut them slack, but ask yourself what it would cost them if you turned them down. The answer is presumably a lot more than $300 an hour for 4 hours.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 2, 2016

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Give them two rates: one to fix the problem, and one that gets applied retroactively and going forward if you have to speak to or even see the CE.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am so sad that I can't watch this poo poo unfold live.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I'd love to bleed them dry, but I still need to keep it reasonable.

No you don't!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

I am so sad that I can't watch this poo poo unfold live.

They've got cameras and everything! :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Maybe your large metro stations are better run but small/medium markets this is absolutely run of the mill.

We did work for a number of years for a CBS affiliate in a market of about ~300k people and it was one giant CE driven shitshow. Because he's the Chief Engineer he gets to have a say on everything that runs on electricity, hoards everything because WE MIGHT NEED IT ONE DAY and even if you do get a budget from higher ups he will do everything possible to buy the absolute cheapest components possible, just so he might get an attaboy! from someone.

We finally stopped entertaining that and refused to service them outside of a few emergencies where their parent company begged us to just make it work(think, Thanksgiving Day outages).

Thankfully their parent company sold them and that poo poo will never be my problem again.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 2, 2016

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

go3 posted:

one was giant CE driven shitshow. Because he's the Chief Engineer he gets to have a say on everything that runs on electricity, hoards everything because WE MIGHT NEED IT ONE DAY and even if you do get a budget from higher ups he will do everything possible to buy the absolute cheapest components possible, just so he might get an attaboy! from someone.

:stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like seriously we'd get calls with him saying, 'This new blahblahtyblah system has XXX for requirements do you think we could clean up the 10 year old decommissioned domain controller and use that?'

A, no and B, where the gently caress did you even keep that thing hidden you crazy old man.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I went to an open house at the NBC station in DFW which has both the NBC station, Telemundo station and the primary south west switchboard all in one building. It looked to be running smoothly and had a lack of cables randomly running places or unlabeled. The middle of the back half was for the two studios/switchboard and were on raised flooring extending all the way to the very secure server rooms in the back. Could be that underneath it all the station was still a poo poo-show, but everything looked really polished. Could be due to it being a corporate run operation instead of an affiliate.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The control room installation at ITV in London was the cleanest cabling job I have ever seen anywhere.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

go3 posted:

Like seriously we'd get calls with him saying, 'This new blahblahtyblah system has XXX for requirements do you think we could clean up the 10 year old decommissioned domain controller and use that?'

A, no and B, where the gently caress did you even keep that thing hidden you crazy old man.

Did this affiliate station happen to serve a tri-county area in the southern united states :allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I once applied to a local Al Jezzera affiliate.

Everyone I talked to outside of the interviewers quietly whispered to me "Don't do this. Get the gently caress out of here while you still can!"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Welp, bonus story today, I guess.

I was sort of grooming one of the production guys who had a little computer and a lot of engineer savvy to take my job when I left. I even worked out with the GM a budget to get him A+ and Net+ certified within 6 months of hiring. I worked with him and went over some of the regular problems I experienced and how to fix them. Gave him some test interviews and stuff, whatever.

Anyways, apparently his interview was a shitshow.

When asked "What have you done to prepare yourself for this position?" he apparently responded, "Nothing really."

The GM said he was looking for any reason to give him the job, but the interview was so heinously bad that he couldn't find one shred of reasoning to hire him.

Now the guy's all mad he didn't get it and keeps hounding me to hire him into my department over here.

I just laugh loudly every time and say "yeah right" and he just doesn't really understand that reaction.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp, bonus story today, I guess.

I was sort of grooming one of the production guys who had a little computer and a lot of engineer savvy to take my job when I left. I even worked out with the GM a budget to get him A+ and Net+ certified within 6 months of hiring. I worked with him and went over some of the regular problems I experienced and how to fix them. Gave him some test interviews and stuff, whatever.

Anyways, apparently his interview was a shitshow.

When asked "What have you done to prepare yourself for this position?" he apparently responded, "Nothing really."

The GM said he was looking for any reason to give him the job, but the interview was so heinously bad that he couldn't find one shred of reasoning to hire him.

Now the guy's all mad he didn't get it and keeps hounding me to hire him into my department over here.

I just laugh loudly every time and say "yeah right" and he just doesn't really understand that reaction.

"I WAS TOLD I WAS GUARANTEED THIS JOB!"

But why did he want to go from production/engineering to IT? Wouldn't that be a downgrade in pay? If production makes less than IT, I'm scared.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Somebody that says "I have done no preparation for this job" in an interview wouldn't understand your reaction. Jobs are just things you learn while getting paid, right? Like customer service and sales? IT shouldn't be any different :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe he realised he would have to work with the CE and intentionally blew the interview.

• Locked thread