Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Here are the six pilots the CW ordered this year, but only one can become the chat threads favorite show of 2018.

Anybody know which shows are WB produced and which are CBS? The CBS ones have a much higher chance of getting picked up since their current lineup is so heavily WB skewed. On the other hand the CBS pilots have been poo poo. Last year they dumped all the CBS pilots and picked up a failed Showtime pilot instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Anybody know which shows are WB produced and which are CBS?

WB: Riverdale, Frequency, Untitled Paranormal Project
CBS: Transylvania, No Tomorrow, Untitled Mars Project

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

less laughter posted:

WB: Riverdale, Frequency, Untitled Paranormal Project
CBS: Transylvania, No Tomorrow, Untitled Mars Project

Thanks. I'll take a guess and say Riverdale (obviously), Mars project + one more CBS show gets picked up. Maybe 60/40 Transylvania over No Tomorrow.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

Wow Kaley Cuoco looks amazing in Lip Sync

That's what you're taking from it? Not Josh Gad's epic (if admittedly obvious) takedown of a second performance?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rocksicles posted:

Wow Kaley Cuoco looks amazing in Lip Sync

DivisionPost posted:

That's what you're taking from it? Not Josh Gad's epic (if admittedly obvious) takedown of a second performance?

I mean, neither of you are wrong.

The show on a whole has seemed much more enjoyable this season, with even bigger guest stars. Though, that hour long episode to start the year off had no reason to be an hour long (pretty sure it was the one with Channing Tatum?) as awesome as the songs themselves were, and I generally just fast forward past the "behind the scenes" sections to get to the songs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched the first episode of Horace and Pete last night. It was weird as hell, but I really really enjoyed it.

If I didn't enjoy the first 1/3, should I bother with the rest? It just felt incredibly clunky to me, like it was the rehearsal for a multicam or stage play without a studio audience, and all the characters just felt really preachy. Like, other Louie CK stuff can feel pretty preachy, but this just felt really undercooked to me.

I love the release method, the distribution channel, and the cast, but the actual episode itself fell really flat for me from what I watched.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 2, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Thanks. I'll take a guess and say Riverdale (obviously), Mars project + one more CBS show gets picked up. Maybe 60/40 Transylvania over No Tomorrow.

Given the CW's pretty monster people shows are kind of winding down it will be Transylvania.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Given the CW's pretty monster people shows are kind of winding down it will be Transylvania.

Are they?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Are they?

And even if they were Transylvania sounds like a perfect booster shot, Supernatural + Elementary meet the Universal Films Monsters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

If I didn't enjoy the first 1/3, should I bother with the rest? It just felt incredibly clunky to me, like it was the rehearsal for a multicam or stage play without a studio audience, and all the characters just felt really preachy. Like, other Louie CK stuff can feel pretty preachy, but this just felt really undercooked to me.

I love the release method, the distribution channel, and the cast, but the actual episode itself fell really flat for me from what I watched.

It gets a lot better, yeah, but never really stops being lo-fi and weird. But as soon as Edie Falco shows up it takes it up a notch.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

Are they?

They have talked about the Vampire Diaries ending soonish?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

They have talked about the Vampire Diaries ending soonish?

One of the three original leads has already left, and the show has been spinning its wheels for two or three seasons already. They should probably end it soon and transfer the few keepers over to The Originals.

As for Supernatural, I'm starting to grow convinced that it will continue to air until the boys are as classic as the car they drive.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

One of the three original leads has already left, and the show has been spinning its wheels for two or three seasons already. They should probably end it soon and transfer the few keepers over to The Originals.

As for Supernatural, I'm starting to grow convinced that it will continue to air until the boys are as classic as the car they drive.

I watched the first season of Supernatural when it first aired but never went back to it. Does it cycle back and forth in quality or has it just been a long downward spiral of badness for a while now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

I watched the first season of Supernatural when it first aired but never went back to it. Does it cycle back and forth in quality or has it just been a long downward spiral of badness for a while now?

2-5 get progressively better, the rest are of variable quality ranging from bad to okay and then somehow this season has been really good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

smg77 posted:

A major metaplot kicks in towards the end of S1 and builds through to a great conclusion in S5. Then the show continues for 6 years to varying levels of unfocused good-mediocre-bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

smg77 posted:

I think 2-5 is a great run of seasons, but Eric Kripke only ever wanted five seasons, and he leaves when it's done with a finale that it was clearly hard to come back from. It's been scattered since then (But I'd never say it was bad), however the current season has been pretty good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I promised myself I wouldn't come back to Supernatural after it was supposed to conclude but all this talking up of S11 is getting me to actually watch it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

A major metaplot kicks in towards the end of S1 and builds through to a great conclusion in S5. Then the show continues for 6 years to varying levels of unfocused good-mediocre-bad.

There are absolutely outstanding MotW episodes in every season, and no one does a comedy or a meta episode like Supernatural, but I'd say that before season 5 the mytharc episodes are the best, after that they are the worst.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How has the new X-Files been? I recorded them but haven't watched any yet.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

IRQ posted:

First episode was kind of a mess, second episode was very good, third episode was great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

1st episode was a typical Chris Carter myth-arc one which I only enjoyed because "Hey! X-Files" and nothing more. If you're a fan of Alex Jones stuff then you'll dig but most people didn't love it.
2nd episode was a pretty cool monster of the week* with a sweet scene near the end that was totally awesome in a "teenage me would've loved that poo poo in the 90s" way
3rd episode I hear is awesome, haven't seen it yet.

All in all, a fairly good comeback so far. Can't say I'm excited for the 2nd part of the Chris Carter ep though.

* only problem I had with this is a side effect of bringing back a show I only watched chunks of, because all the stuff about Mulder/Scully having a kid went over my head as I never saw those episodes, so I don't really know the details

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

There are absolutely outstanding MotW episodes in every season, and no one does a comedy or a meta episode like Supernatural, but I'd say that before season 5 the mytharc episodes are the best, after that they are the worst.

Yeah, I've stayed watching and I've never really considered it a chore or anything. Supernatural post S5 has had its ups and downs and rough seasons but there's always been individually strong episodes scattered through that kept me happily watching. I might be bored as hell with the meta plot of a given season but I know every 2 or 3 episodes will have a quality stand alone episode. I can give or take all the post S5 metaplots including the current season (I'm enjoying it, I just don't see the dramatic improvement others see, probably because I was never on down it as others were) but I still enjoy the basic characters/show/world that I know produces fun episodes.

But S1-5 has a great metaplot/story that really makes it stand out from the second half of the show's run, which is basically just a fun procedural with a pretty wacky meta plot.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Last night's X-Files easily stands up to the best comedic episodes from the original run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

1st episode was a typical Chris Carter myth-arc one which I only enjoyed because "Hey! X-Files" and nothing more. If you're a fan of Alex Jones stuff then you'll dig but most people didn't love it.
2nd episode was a pretty cool monster of the week* with a sweet scene near the end that was totally awesome in a "teenage me would've loved that poo poo in the 90s" way
3rd episode I hear is awesome, haven't seen it yet.

All in all, a fairly good comeback so far. Can't say I'm excited for the 2nd part of the Chris Carter ep though.

* only problem I had with this is a side effect of bringing back a show I only watched chunks of, because all the stuff about Mulder/Scully having a kid went over my head as I never saw those episodes, so I don't really know the details

Don't feel bad, my huge X-Files roomie fan couldn't keep the Scully/Mulder kid stuff straight.

hope and vaseline posted:

Last night's X-Files easily stands up to the best comedic episodes from the original run.

Easily. What does Darin Morgan do when he's not writing brilliant X-files episodes? Hibernate for 10000 years?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Don't feel bad, my huge X-Files roomie fan couldn't keep the Scully/Mulder kid stuff straight.

I definitely checked out of the original run before that happened, that sounds real dumb.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Easily. What does Darin Morgan do when he's not writing brilliant X-files episodes? Hibernate for 10000 years?

Apparently? His output post X-Files doesn't seem very prolific.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently? His output post X-Files doesn't seem very prolific.

Yeah, he only has a couple of episodes of Millenium (with another Jose Chung related episode) basically. The guy is almost as prolific as Salinger.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume I don't need to know anything to enjoy last night's fully based on what I'm hearing? If that's the case, it's my bedtime watch after work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To bridge the two conversations, they clearly need to bring Darin Morgan in to write for Supernatural. Supernatural owes a lot of its DNA (especially comedic DNA) to the X-Files.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

To bridge the two conversations, they clearly need to bring Darin Morgan in to write for Supernatural. Supernatural owes a lot of its DNA (especially comedic DNA) to the X-Files.

Kim Manners in fact directed 16 Supernatural episode and I found out he died because they dedicated the fourth season to him.

At the same time I found out Kim Manners is a guy.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Kim Manners in fact directed 16 Supernatural episode and I found out he died because they dedicated the fourth season to him.

At the same time I found out Kim Manners is a guy.

Kim Manners was also the grave Mulder dropped flowers in front of this week. It says "Kick it in the rear end" on it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

Kim Manners was also the grave Mulder dropped flowers in front of this week. It says "Kick it in the rear end" on it.

Yeah. The other prominent grave was also a popular X-files (and Vancouver scene) director, but I'm not familiar with him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

smg77 posted:

For as long as that show has been running it's a pretty big achievement that it's never been outright bad. It definitely peaked long ago, but they clearly have a lot of fun making the show and the cast carries it through the lesser seasons. The worst part is probably how it constantly tries to turn the brothers against each other, often leading to some really lame and repetitive drama (drink whenever someone says "I'm fine" when they're clearly not), and the worst case scenario of them splitting up for an episode or two which just goes against the whole point of the show. I think they could've salvaged some of this by making Castiel a full-time member, but they always shy away from that for some reason.

But still I went through all 9 seasons over the course of a few months last year and was never bored or too annoyed. It's a fun show.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, he only has a couple of episodes of Millenium (with another Jose Chung related episode) basically. The guy is almost as prolific as Salinger.

Basically he works as a producer on his brother's shows. As you know producer can mean basically anything from an occasional phone call to showrunner so nobody really knows how much work he does.

According to IMDB he has written a grand total of 13 episodes of TV in his career, of which at least 5 have been really great (and really weird). I have no idea about the episodes he wrote for Tower Prep, Intruders or Those Who Kill, but I'm definitely going to watch them sometime.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hakkesshu posted:

For as long as that show has been running it's a pretty big achievement that it's never been outright bad. It definitely peaked long ago, but they clearly have a lot of fun making the show and the cast carries it through the lesser seasons. The worst part is probably how it constantly tries to turn the brothers against each other, often leading to some really lame and repetitive drama (drink whenever someone says "I'm fine" when they're clearly not), and the worst case scenario of them splitting up for an episode or two which just goes against the whole point of the show. I think they could've salvaged some of this by making Castiel a full-time member, but they always shy away from that for some reason.

The funny thing is they briefly teased making it a brother angst three way with Castiel this season before they just went in a totally different, awesome direction. I assume that was intentional since it happened in one of those episodes filled with meta jokes and self awareness.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I found out, per Sepinwall, that it was originally a NIGHT STALKER episode that never got produced (Anyone remember that?). You can read the script here http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Night_Stalker/Night_Stalker_1x12_-_The_M_Word.pdf if you wanted to compare the two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lady Naga posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't come back to Supernatural after it was supposed to conclude but all this talking up of S11 is getting me to actually watch it.

Season 11 is the best it's been since season 5, but you can honestly skip to season 11 and not miss a whole hell of a lot. Just a bunch of variations on "Sam/Dean sacrifice themselves to save Dean/Sam, every single supporting character except Crowley gets murdered along the way."

Season 6 was definitely the nadir, I'm surprised it didn't get cancelled after that season.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I presume I don't need to know anything to enjoy last night's fully based on what I'm hearing? If that's the case, it's my bedtime watch after work.

Last night's episode was the first time my wife had seen the show. She was disappointed when I told her not every episode was like that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 3, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The People V. O.J. Simpson premieres tonight on FX. thread

Sepinwall liked it, and according to him, the tone is just right which is what I was most worried about since Ryan Murphy is involved. I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to watching it tonight!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

timp posted:

The People V. O.J. Simpson premieres tonight on FX. thread

Sepinwall liked it, and according to him, the tone is just right which is what I was most worried about since Ryan Murphy is involved. I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to watching it tonight!

AV Club liked it too. The Cuba Gooding Jrenissaince is upon us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

AV Club liked it too. The Cuba Gooding Jrenissaince is upon us!

He needs to get his profile back up so he can make his dream picture, Boat Trip 2.

• Locked thread