Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Keiga loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

stabbington posted:

Yes, punish this man for not knowing bullshit unplayable garbage from ten years ago.

The whole point is "Kamigawa block legends all blend together so it's easy to mistake them for each other", though? The Japanese naming theme is nice stylistically, but so many of the creatures blend together into a pool of blah even if you know their effects.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

X, the Dude/Thing is really a terrible naming scheme if used for more than a handful of important cards. That's why after Kamigawa, we've largely stuck to more descriptive names or at least only used a handful of important names.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

X the Dudething is my favorite commander

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Kenzo the Hardhearted is the flip squire idiot from champions
Kyoki, Sanity's Eclipse is a guy that exiles cards from hand on spiritcraft

The name thing is just a cherry pick though, because they're much easier to remember by their epithets.

Ramos posted:

X, the Dude/Thing is really a terrible naming scheme if used for more than a handful of important cards. That's why after Kamigawa, we've largely stuck to more descriptive names or at least only used a handful of important names.

Yeah man the names rakka mar and gwafa hazid really tell me what those people do. Same with Tibor and Lumia.

Niton posted:

The whole point is "Kamigawa block legends all blend together so it's easy to mistake them for each other", though? The Japanese naming theme is nice stylistically, but so many of the creatures blend together into a pool of blah even if you know their effects.

Look if you can't tell the difference between Hikari, Twilight Guardian and Hokori, Dust Drinker, then you don't deserve to flicker your flier OR untap your lands.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 2, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoness posted:

Kenzo the Hardhearted is the flip squire from champions

Not even a squire, a 1/1. I've always wanted to make a deck with him but it turns out even Dromoka's Command can't make him playable.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Not even a squire, a 1/1. I've always wanted to make a deck with him but it turns out even Dromoka's Command can't make him playable.

I thought he was flavored as a squire despite not being squire sized my mistake. He is a bushi and a tenderfoot but he is nobodys squire :(

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
"Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar" has to win points for being a Magic card with a name that can be accidentally read as a complete sentence.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 2, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Yeah man the names rakka mar and gwafa hazid really tell me what those people do. Same with Tibor and Lumia.

This is also why no one gives a poo poo about the endless number of custom made legendary creature cards made by fans.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hopping Ghost posted:

"Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar" has to win points for being a Magic card with a name that can be accidentally read as a complete sentence.

I admit to not realizing that was its actual name for a while.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zoness posted:

Your point is 100% correct and important to make but "Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer" is a good example of how to do Name, Thing legendary names, because it actually tells you why you might be interested in what Gwafa Hazid does in your card game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

GeneX posted:

I admit to not realizing that was its actual name for a while.
Should have been "Asuka, Azami's Familiar", clearly.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Rei, Kegadoru Waifu

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Omae, wa mo shindeiru

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Chamale posted:

White weenie with swords and quest for the holy relic/steelshapers gift. Still not great but swinging with a flipped kenzo with a sword of feast and famine or fire and ice feels pretty good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man nothing like the intersection between japanophiles and magic players to make this thread more petty annoyances than ever.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So I got the proxies from China in. They make a great cube. They are thinner than regular cards and don't feel right, a bit floppier and not as firm, the color is a bit blue shifted as well. Otherwise they are fantastic and well worth the few bucks to get them. I am happy they are easily recognizable when you have them in your hands. There is no mistaking them for real cards.

A little spread of the good stuff.

I think you and I must have ordered the same block of cards. I agree, the cards are much thinner than the real thing, with minor glossiness on the front and a pronounced glossy look on the back. They'll never fool anyone, but they'll be fun to slot into some kitchen table decks.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Where did those come from? Thinking of starting a cube up, and if they're reasonable I'd like to grab a brick and write proxy on them or something :~).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

White weenie with swords and quest for the holy relic/steelshapers gift. Still not great but swinging with a flipped kenzo with a sword of feast and famine or fire and ice feels pretty good.

I used to run him in a Ghost Waifu Anafenza Tiny Leaders deck before that died.

He was okay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The March Hare posted:

Where did those come from? Thinking of starting a cube up, and if they're reasonable I'd like to grab a brick and write proxy on them or something :~).

http://www.alexpress.com/wholesale..._20150212126

Here is how it was explained to me.

White core: Cheapest and the has the fakest feel outside the sleeve. Generally the old legacy stuff is about the only thing that look decent in white core.

Black core: More expensive and varies in quality. Some black core stuff is really impressive and some aren't. Basically a better alternative to white core for black bordered stuff.

Blue core: The most expensive and harder to find. Generally these are the highest quality fakes that exist.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hopping Ghost posted:

Triple name score for being an abbot and costello reference.

ShaneB posted:

Man nothing like the intersection between japanophiles and magic players to make this thread more petty annoyances than ever.

Show us on the Brittle Effigy what the Unspeakble did to you.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

http://www.alexpress.com/wholesale..._20150212126

White core: Cheapest and the has the fakest feel outside the sleeve. Generally the old legacy stuff is about the only thing that look decent in white core.

Black core: More expensive and varies in quality. Some black core stuff is really impressive and some aren't. Basically a better alternative to white core for black bordered stuff.

Blue core: The most expensive and harder to find. Generally these are the highest quality fakes that exist.

Don't keep this to pm or anything lol you have zero chill sickening

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice. I like that they followed magic's color hierarchy. I'm guessing they don't bother with green or red since those are, respectively, a sharpied island and B&W printer quality play test cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They're actually the color of the paper on the inside of the card, with blue being the color of the inside of actual Magic cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

They're actually the color of the paper on the inside of the card, with blue being the color of the inside of actual Magic cards.

I have no clue how this affects anything but supposedly the different color paper has different qualities other than the color. The blue stuff is suppose to be expensive and hard to get. Maybe they regulate who can buy the high quality paper to keep counterfeit cards of all games from being produced.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or is SaffronOlive's budget Eldrazi Displace Combo deck dope as hell

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jenny Angel posted:

Is it just me or is SaffronOlive's budget Eldrazi Displace Combo deck dope as hell

That man can make any deck look good. :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PleasantDirge posted:

Don't keep this to pm or anything lol you have zero chill sickening

Did they really say anything super top secret? "Search for 'mtg cards' on aliexpress" isn't really an obscure approach. I didn't know for sure that all these sellers existed but that was just because I'd never tried it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Sickening posted:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale..._20150212126

Huh, yeah, donno why I didn't think to check ali. Thanks for the link, saves me the hassle of buying a printer.

e; Yeah, I don't really think the old "don't talk about it" method is going to work. Anyone who actually wants to try to pass these things as real is going to find them anyway, and if we all know about 'em then hey, easier to tell what's what. For my part, any of them that I get I'm just going to mark up on the back to make it clear they are proxies that I'll just be using at home in a cube v0v.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm really lazy and just want to order the last MTGO powered cube as proxies. What's the best way to do this? Also, can I get them with blank backs anywhere?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Without an official judge ruling go by the 3E Rulebook

quote:

Does anything ELSE count as :filez:?

No one cares if your miniatures or other wargaming gear was made by the manufacturer or a helpful third party. However, discussing how great your bootleg figs are and where others can get them is right out. Keep it off our forums.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

That Displacer combo deck by SaffronOlive looks really nice, and a good chunk of the pieces will stick around once Khans and Fate rotate out. I think it may be time to start picking up some Displacers...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Necronomicon posted:

That Displacer combo deck by SaffronOlive looks really nice, and a good chunk of the pieces will stick around once Khans and Fate rotate out. I think it may be time to start picking up some Displacers...
You lose a lot of the natural power of Abzan when Khans rotates, but the actual core of the deck is basically BFZ block. I could imagine it being a thing at some point.

e: especially if SoI brings back the blink/ETB theme, that could easily add some additional combo power to the deck

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 2, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Four Score posted:

Without an official judge ruling go by the 3E Rulebook

this would involve mod action in this thread so i think we're safe

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So who else is digging the regionals playmat?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

it's value city, just blinking Rhinos and Mystic Elves is all I need

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Did they really say anything super top secret? "Search for 'mtg cards' on aliexpress" isn't really an obscure approach. I didn't know for sure that all these sellers existed but that was just because I'd never tried it.

Ali express and Ali baba is like the pirate bay of all sorts of proxy items. It's not exactly secret.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

So who else is digging the regionals playmat?

It's like 50% of the reason I'm going and I'm not even a playmat collector kinda guy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Also the fnm promos are updated, smash to smithereens and blighted fen are promos for march/april. Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's value city, just blinking Rhinos and Mystic Elves is all I need

I want to do Flickerdrazi + Reflector Mage for a maximum :hitler: deck.

Bouncing Halimar Tidecaller also gives you boundless recursion on Awaken spells, though that's a pretty limited pool of relevant cards.

• Locked thread