Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

She looked like a Death cosplayer and I loved it.
I was also a bit effy with her little crazy stint but the way it ended was excellent and a nice growing moment for her. Also nice little joke about the name Oracle being taken.

I missed that line, happen to remember it offhand?

ToastyPotato posted:

Flash s2 hasn't really been that bad imo. The Patty stuff last episode was bad, and the Wally stuff is bad, but it isn't completely ruining the show or bogging it down or anything. And yeah, the big issue with s3 Arrow was that it was a noticeable decline in quality from s2. Honestly s4 doesn't feel like it has quite recovered yet either. The flashbacks are operating a lot like last season where it is clear they are connected to the main plot somehow but we don't have the big picture yet, which is kind of dumb. Also, Dark is a character that they don't really seem to have a grasp on what to do with. He's really overpowered for the team, but he's not doing much so everything is just plodding along.

I think the words messy and inconsistent are better descriptors for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

MacheteZombie posted:

I missed that line, happen to remember it offhand?

I think the words messy and inconsistent are better descriptors for this season.

He said he wanted to give Felicity a codename. Was thinking of calling her Oracle but that name was already taken.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MacheteZombie posted:

They are probably perfect descriptors.

I think my issue with Damien is that I just don't get what his purpose is? He wants to kill Star City? The world? For some reason? We are past the halfway point just a bout and I still don't know anything about him. Last year was bad because Ras was only the big bad because Team Arrow REALLY wanted to protect mass murdering terrorist, Malcolm Meryln. And the entire flashback arc was a build up to a plot device that only mattered at the very end because Team Arrow makes bad plans.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He has some underground Genesis project thing, so I think he's making a place for HIVE to survive while the rest of the world dies, like Ra's Al Ghul tried to do in Batman the Animated Series when he was gonna blow the Lazarus pits to flood the world.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was thinking out loud how strange it was waller was still alive while watching the episode. Guess that ties up that loose end.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mike Colter says that Danny Rand has been cast, and pretty much waiting for the official Marvel/Netflix announcement.

http://collider.com/jessica-jones-season-2-sex-scenes-luke-cage/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

It's amazing how not having a dumb ollie flashblack that feels pointless helps make an episode better. Though Dig's bother is so tiny in comparison.

The height difference really does bother me and I don't know why since I have a brother who is 5 inches taller than me, so it's not like I think it's unrealistic for John to be so much taller. Wish I could put my finger on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well Supergirl just rolled out a plot point from one of the best comics of all time.

the Black Mercy, from Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything is seen crawling across her ceiling in the final seconds of tonight's episode. As neat as this is I doubt it will be anywhere close to as satisfying as that comic is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well Supergirl just rolled out a plot point from one of the best comics of all time.

the Black Mercy, from Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything is seen crawling across her ceiling in the final seconds of tonight's episode. As neat as this is I doubt it will be anywhere close to as satisfying as that comic is.

I imagine the Original Writer isn't going to give it his stamp of approval like he did the JLU episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I imagine the Original Writer isn't going to give it his stamp of approval like he did the JLU episode.

Good thing nobody cares what he thinks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Good thing nobody cares what he thinks!

I care.

Edit: I mean it won't stop me from watching, but it's something I'll definitely think about.

Is Supergirl good, good or is it just "it's better than it used" to be like SHIELD?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Skwirl posted:

A DC adaptation without Alan Moore's approval? OH NO!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I care.

Edit: I mean it won't stop me from watching, but it's something I'll definitely think about.

Is Supergirl good, good or is it just "it's better than it used to be like SHIELD?"

You're the only one.

It's okay, I enjoy it only because Melissa Benoit and Calista Flockhart are so great. Having Martian Manhunter show up hasn't hurt things either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

A DC adaptation without Alan Moore's approval? OH NO!

I only brought it up because the JLU episode is the rare occasion he said he liked it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You're the only one.

It's okay, I enjoy it only because Melissa Benoit and Calista Flockhart are so great. Having Martian Manhunter show up hasn't hurt things either.

I might give it another try. I liked the pilot but couldn't finish either the second or third episode and most of what I liked about the pilot boils down to your first sentence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Skwirl posted:

Is Supergirl good, good or is it just "it's better than it used" to be like SHIELD?
It's found a good footing. Past four or so episodes have landedly solidly in the B+ to A- range, which is way better than how I'd grade...oh just for example...the Flash this season.

But if you completely despised the first couple episodes and everything the characters did, well, it's not all of a sudden a whole new show or something. The difference in quality not nearly as dramatic as Agents of SHIELD, where I'd recommend the latter half of s1 to folks even if they hated the first half.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Supergirl so far has been better than s1 of SHIELD, imo. The pilot is the weakest episode.

Why so much hate for FLash this season? I don't feel like it has dipped all that much from last year at all. It definitely has had facepalmingly stupid moments, but over all it isn't a "bad" show.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It came off of break with probably the worst episode it's ever had and that set a lot of people in a bad mood. The whole Wally West as a troubled black youth basically pissed off everybody, nerds because "Not my Wally" and everybody else because TV should be past that poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ToastyPotato posted:

Why so much hate for FLash this season?
How much time you got?

The show's always had some persistent issues, but they never seem to fix any of these issues and by now they've piled up to the point that you can hardly make it through a single episode anymore without a cascade of bullshit that doesn't make any sense, or at least half the entire cast acting idiotic. They repeated every single mistake they made with the Iris plot last year with Patty's plot this year. The villain is a retread of last year as well, but with none of the personality or intrigue; one single episode of Reverse Flash last week was better than the entirety of the Zoom arc this season. They managed to gently caress up Jay Garrick, of all people, for episodes on end, and he's dragging Caitlin down with him. Anyone hoping to see Wally West realized onscreen can look forward to seeing the very worst parts of his Nu52 incarnation in agonizing detail. But all of that actually pales a bit in comparison to how damned unlikable the protagonist of the show, Barry Allen, has become.

(I say all this being fully aware that the most recent episode last Tuesday was pretty good.)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it's not so much that the show has taken some huge nosedive in quality, but it just hasn't improved at all in a lot of key areas. Barry just dumped his 4th love interest for basically the same reason as the other 3, they acknowledged that maybe the super max solitary confinement prison is kind of really hosed up and then went right back to using it, the villain of the season beat the Flash and promptly hosed off just doing god knows what in the background leaving the season without any real sense of tension, and like BrianWilly said Barry is just kind of slowly becoming more and more unlikable and the writers don't seem to be aware of that fact.

And this is more of a pet peeve of mine, but the writers still have trouble coming up with interesting ways for the Flash to use his speed to beat his enemies. Like this season he straight up had to kill two villains while fighting them, which the show just sort of glossed over even though it probably should've been a pretty loving big deal for the quirky happy-go-lucky protagonist who barely knew how to throw a punch a season ago. My personal favorite though was when he fought a lady who could shoot light beams but was otherwise a totally ordinary woman with normal reflexes and the writers had Barry freak out and pretend that he couldn't just run up to her just to show off the fact that he learned how to do a mirage thing. Which hasn't been used or brought up since. It's just such unimaginative writing that it puts more pressure on the rest of the show to be interesting, and so far this season just hasn't been. Hopefully it'll finish strong once Zoom decides to actually do something again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flash has had all of the same writing and character problems it has this season since last season but people were, maybe rightly so, distracted by all the big moments it got right. This season it's not getting very many of those moments right and the writing and characters are at the same time getting worse so it's finally starting to really show the weaknesses it's always had.

Also Jay Garrick is the goddamn worst.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

The "fake ideal life" and "fake normal life where everyone insists the protagonist's memories of the status quo are insanity or nightmares" is pretty well-worn tv territory by now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I stopped watching Flash after the break. They ruined Jay, who I love from the comics, and I was afraid they were going to go "angry black youth" with Wally and ruin him too. Then I was sick of the bullshit with him not telling Patty who he was, and the fact that Patty should be the main love interest because there is chemistry there, but they're sticking with Iris which has no romantic chemistry and is still creepy. Then they got rid of her.

And yeah, Barry straight up murdering villains and them glossing over it is terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Flash has had all of the same writing and character problems it has this season since last season but people were, maybe rightly so, distracted by all the big moments it got right. This season it's not getting very many of those moments right and the writing and characters are at the same time getting worse so it's finally starting to really show the weaknesses it's always had.

Also Jay Garrick is the goddamn worst.

Not nearly enough Tom Cavanaugh screentime either.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

How much time you got?

The show's always had some persistent issues, but they never seem to fix any of these issues and by now they've piled up to the point that you can hardly make it through a single episode anymore without a cascade of bullshit that doesn't make any sense, or at least half the entire cast acting idiotic. They repeated every single mistake they made with the Iris plot last year with Patty's plot this year. The villain is a retread of last year as well, but with none of the personality or intrigue; one single episode of Reverse Flash last week was better than the entirety of the Zoom arc this season. They managed to gently caress up Jay Garrick, of all people, for episodes on end, and he's dragging Caitlin down with him. Anyone hoping to see Wally West realized onscreen can look forward to seeing the very worst parts of his Nu52 incarnation in agonizing detail. But all of that actually pales a bit in comparison to how damned unlikable the protagonist of the show, Barry Allen, has become.

(I say all this being fully aware that the most recent episode last Tuesday was pretty good.)

Fair enough. Those are all completely valid points, though I completely lay the blame for Wally at the hands of the New52.

Jay Garrick is definitely a wet blanket of a character that they seem to be completely dragging along, and his portrayal is very, very dull.

The Patty stuff is really bad, because it is the same relationship drama crap every super hero show spends time obsessing over. So I agree there.

Codependent Poster posted:

I stopped watching Flash after the break. They ruined Jay, who I love from the comics, and I was afraid they were going to go "angry black youth" with Wally and ruin him too. Then I was sick of the bullshit with him not telling Patty who he was, and the fact that Patty should be the main love interest because there is chemistry there, but they're sticking with Iris which has no romantic chemistry and is still creepy. Then they got rid of her.

And yeah, Barry straight up murdering villains and them glossing over it is terrible.

Patty/Iris very quickly reached Lana/Chloe levels in Smallville. Impressive that they accomplished that in half a season versus the few seasons it took Smallville.

That's the problem with a lot of these shows. They start from episode 1 having in mind that the main character already secretly loves another character and that they are meant to be together. But this seems to rarely work as they never seem to cast actors that actually have that chemistry together. And then another character is introduced and for whatever reason they just click on screen, but because it isn't where the writers have planned to go, we have to sit and watch them be cock blocked by bad writing, while the first pairing is smashed together like two dolls in the hands of a child. That's why I dislike relationship stuff in superhero shows.

Supergirl is pretty bad with this too. The whole "friendzoning"* of the nerd dude was very painful to watch (in a bad way), especially since within one episode they had Kara fawning over some dude she literally just met. It half made sense when it was Jimmy that maybe made her hesitate, but she does not hesitate to start dating the other dude at all.

*They literally call it this in this week's episode.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Fair enough. Those are all completely valid points, though I completely lay the blame for Wally at the hands of the New52.

Jay Garrick is definitely a wet blanket of a character that they seem to be completely dragging along, and his portrayal is very, very dull.

The Patty stuff is really bad, because it is the same relationship drama crap every super hero show spends time obsessing over. So I agree there.

Patty/Iris very quickly reached Lana/Chloe levels in Smallville. Impressive that they accomplished that in half a season versus the few seasons it took Smallville.

That's the problem with a lot of these shows. They start from episode 1 having in mind that the main character already secretly loves another character and that they are meant to be together. But this seems to rarely work as they never seem to cast actors that actually have that chemistry together. And then another character is introduced and for whatever reason they just click on screen, but because it isn't where the writers have planned to go, we have to sit and watch them be cock blocked by bad writing, while the first pairing is smashed together like two dolls in the hands of a child. That's why I dislike relationship stuff in superhero shows.

Supergirl is pretty bad with this too. The whole "friendzoning"* of the nerd dude was very painful to watch (in a bad way), especially since within one episode they had Kara fawning over some dude she literally just met. It half made sense when it was Jimmy that maybe made her hesitate, but she does not hesitate to start dating the other dude at all.

It seems like Arrow realized this and corrected it. Although Felicity went way over the line into an annoying character and they're now trying to walk her back a bit. I still do wonder if they're eventually going to torpedo Oliver and Felicity just so they can make the Green Arrow and Black Canary comic romance happen in a later season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The main reason Lana didn't have any chemistry with Clark is that she had a very bad actress playing her.

Also they accidentally cast someone way prettier than the true love interest as the "plain" friend who it's not going to work out with.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

The main reason Lana didn't have any chemistry with Clark is that she had a very bad actress playing her.

Also they accidentally cast someone way prettier than the true love interest as the "plain" friend who it's not going to work out with.

Eh, Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk are both so pretty I don't think it could be fairly said one is much prettier than the other. Erica Durance too. Clark just got game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I agree. But that is almost always the issue. It always comes down to casting, whether it is actor quality or whatever. A good counter example is the casting of Jim and Pam from The Office. They specifically cast a couple that had good chemistry together, because they knew that the "will they get together" plot was pretty much going to be the main story line going forward. The people making these superhero shows are 100% insistent on putting love interest characters into the show but seem to refuse to cast properly for it.

AngryBooch posted:

It seems like Arrow realized this and corrected it. Although Felicity went way over the line into an annoying character and they're now trying to walk her back a bit. I still do wonder if they're eventually going to torpedo Oliver and Felicity just so they can make the Green Arrow and Black Canary comic romance happen in a later season.

I would hope not. It would be coming completely out of left field and it would easily be the worst thing they ever did. I'm glad they allowed Felicity and Ollie to happen so soon, even if they hosed it up a bunch, because the hoops they were jumping through to have Ollie be with A Canary was silly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

greatn posted:

Eh, Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk are both so pretty I don't think it could be fairly said one is much prettier than the other. Erica Durance too. Clark just got game.

Well, fair enough, I guess it comes down to personal taste, but usually you cast someone slightly yet noticeably less pretty in that role.

Also the Smallville model of will-they-won't-they is inherently flawed because it makes the person that the protagonist secretly loves seem like a completely oblivious or selfish moron.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah you always have one love interest that inherently won't be with the hero and another that always helps and supports the hero and then producers are surprised when fans prefer the latter.

Also funny that Felicity and Chloe are basically the same character and both end up with Green Arrow.

greatn fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 2, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

Yeah you always have one love interest that inherently won't be with the hero and another that always helps and supports the hero and then producers are surprised when fans prefer the latter.

Also funny that Felicity and Chloe are basically the same character and both end up with Green Arrow.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was on purpose. I don't remember if Arrow was ever at some point designed as a spin off, but it was definitely some what informed by what came before it (Smallville). Didn't some of the people who worked on it come from Smallville?

Also, with regards to your first sentence, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the friend zoned character is always written as super likable and relatable and usually dorky in some way, where the main love interest is always confident and boring as gently caress in these stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't exactly call Lana confident. She was constantly looking forlorn and going "Clark, what am I going to do? My intense sadness can only be cured by you selflessly not pursuing me romantically to solve this dramatic situation I'm in that no sane person would care about."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chloe was the worst.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

True, confident is probably the wrong word. But Lana and Iris and the Lance sisters all have something in common that I can't put into words at the moment, while Patty, Chloe, and Felicity all juxtapose against them similarly. Also Winn from Supergirl. Jimmy I don't know if he can be thrown in with the others, because he actually has personality, charm, and baggage.

Patty is funny because she's a goddamned cop and more of a badass than Iris, but she still seems more... dammit what is the word I need here? Timid? Sheepish?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Chloe was the worst.

True, but 15 year younger me was extremely into her. Enough to put up with several seasons of bad stories and wooden Tom Welling (well, having Michael Rosenbaum, John Schneider and John Glover didn't hurt either).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was a bit lukewarm on Supergirl but the last few episodes have been very good. I think its quality must be inversely proportional to how often they obliquely reference Superman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if this was on purpose. I don't remember if Arrow was ever at some point designed as a spin off, but it was definitely some what informed by what came before it (Smallville). Didn't some of the people who worked on it come from Smallville?
Berlanti, Kriesberg, and Guggenheim had nothing to do with Smallville, but who knows about the rest of the writers. Felicity was never supposed to be anything more than a one episode IT drone Oliver got help from, but then they saw how well Amell and Rickards played off each other and the rest is history.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gustin will officially guest star as The Flash on the March 28 episode of Supergirl. No storyline details yet.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/03/flash-supergirl-crossover-episode-date-spoilers/

Surprised this is happening in less than two months, given production schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barry Convex posted:

Gustin will officially guest star as The Flash on the March 28 episode of Supergirl. No storyline details yet.

http://tvline.com/2016/02/03/flash-supergirl-crossover-episode-date-spoilers/

Surprised this is happening in less than two months, given production schedules.

drat the arrowverse contains NBC, CBS, and CW.