Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fallie posted:

I thought I went into this fight prepared, using an Arbalest-Occulist-Houndmaster-Hellion party. The strategy was to go all-out offense with eldritch-slaying rings on, Houndmaster using the multi-target bleed, Occultist stabbing and ceiling spaghetti-ing, Arbalest and Hellion single-targeting heart parts. Didn't work all too well. I won, but the piece of poo poo killed off my only Arbalest and the Houndmaster. I am not really sure how to deal with the head dealing 20 damage to two targets while also applying a 4/turn bleed. I have been able to prepare and pretty much control all the other champion-level boss fights, but not this one. Now I'm thinking that maybe a party of 4 Houndmasters would have been better, where the 2 front liners protect the back row with Guard and have the back row spam bleed.

I prefer the DoT method on those, direct damage doesn't seem as good when you can apply a good blight or bleed that ignores prot value and treat every piece of it as a damage opportunity. I also used a leper to intimidate spam the front two pieces, with their high base damage they do OK and with intimidate will lower the damage/acc of the first two slots.

Rascyc posted:

I've cleared almost every boss except like two generations of bosses in the cove. I hate that place, haha. I have to grind out like 3 more dungeon levels of the Cove. Why can't there be deeds or something useful in there instead of crests argh

I like the cove quite a bit personally, it doesn't really feel tough and the worst party is basically 4x spearfishers. Think of it as a pseudo sanitarium and make sure to bring a few herbs along, it also feels like it has more loot than the others (except ruins).

I am a little worried about the resolve XP changes - that might make it hella difficult to get all the bosses in during the L3 period, i just barely managed to fit them all in before all my guys were too high for it. Maybe have that reduced XP curve happen after you've cleared out all of them? Like a reward for doing it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fallie posted:

I thought I went into this fight prepared, using an Arbalest-Occulist-Houndmaster-Hellion party. The strategy was to go all-out offense with eldritch-slaying rings on, Houndmaster using the multi-target bleed, Occultist stabbing and ceiling spaghetti-ing, Arbalest and Hellion single-targeting heart parts. Didn't work all too well. I won, but the piece of poo poo killed off my only Arbalest and the Houndmaster. I am not really sure how to deal with the head dealing 20 damage to two targets while also applying a 4/turn bleed. I have been able to prepare and pretty much control all the other champion-level boss fights, but not this one. Now I'm thinking that maybe a party of 4 Houndmasters would have been better, where the 2 front liners protect the back row with Guard and have the back row spam bleed.

Yawp + Blinding Gas. Shut the whole goddamn thing down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"no random target for corpses" just made Blindfire way better when I need that speed boost, thank you based Red Hook. Can't wait to try out the buffed Leper, as well.

I still don't get why "high level dudes can't do low level poo poo" is such a sore spot for people though. Letting like, a level 6 baby your level zeros through a baby dungeon would be cheap as gently caress. I like the idea that XP now gets increased across 4, 5, and 6 though. Shortens grind to the bigger stuff as well as making your guys stronger in a shorter timeframe. Lets you fight out the lower level bosses at a broader pace and then ramps it up once you get to 4 and beyond.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All of the problems basically come down to the limited roster. So I have 25 level 4 dudes. One of them dies. Now they are level 0, and I can't level them until I replace 3 of my other level 4 dudes.

I'm already into the situation where I want to experiment with more different classes, but I can't without wrecking my roster gearing up for champion dungeons.

And yeah, I don't understand why they though that blindfire needed a buff. It was already insanely good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really need to train up an Arbalest. I didn't get any early so I never figured out how good they could be.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The arbalest mini heal -> Occultist heal is funny poo poo.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

"no random target for corpses" just made Blindfire way better when I need that speed boost, thank you based Red Hook. Can't wait to try out the buffed Leper, as well.

I still don't get why "high level dudes can't do low level poo poo" is such a sore spot for people though. Letting like, a level 6 baby your level zeros through a baby dungeon would be cheap as gently caress. I like the idea that XP now gets increased across 4, 5, and 6 though. Shortens grind to the bigger stuff as well as making your guys stronger in a shorter timeframe. Lets you fight out the lower level bosses at a broader pace and then ramps it up once you get to 4 and beyond.

It is a sore spot for me because this rule was not explained to me. Without realizing it I worked myself into a corner where I now have a number of bosses I cannot fight. I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to go forward with a roster of mostly level 3s and level 1 bosses populating the missions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bemis posted:

It is a sore spot for me because this rule was not explained to me. Without realizing it I worked myself into a corner where I now have a number of bosses I cannot fight. I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to go forward with a roster of mostly level 3s and level 1 bosses populating the missions.

At this point, I'd just go to the .ini and increase the number of available spots in your roster, cheating be damned. Is not as if you're making the game any easier.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bemis posted:

Good news: most of your characters will probably die, at which point you'll be free to finish off those early bosses.

I don't know how it works for everyone else but when I get to this point, I say gently caress it and keep playing with level 3's. To my knowledge, don't the dungeons continuously match your roster for the most part? Like, if those lvl 3's get to level 4 and 5, I assume the level of dungeon poo poo will increase as well. Worst case scenario, by the time you have to absolutely dismiss people to advance, you'll likely have built up a huge reserve of heirlooms and monies from your high-level adventurers to permanently bolster future characters.

Or just edit the ini file to expand your roster a few slots. Nobody will judge you for expanding it a bit so you can access more bosses and poo poo.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Bemis posted:

I assume being so early in the game, you don't have the stagecoach upgraded all the way so the first solution is to get more deeds. Failing that you either fire the dudes you like the least, wait for some guys to die by chance, or just keep playing til your guys level to 6 because as far as I know you can enter the Darkest Dungeon, the goal of the game, at any time without any of the bosses dead.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I need so many deeeeeeeeds, i've done half a dozen weald runs and still don't have enough to upgrade the stagecoach and weapons.

Seriously, i wish they'd balance requirements because I'm so sick of this place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm in a somewhat similar position right now: I have no healers below level 3 and I haven't gotten a single Vestal or Occultist in like six in-game weeks. I've got a maxed out roster size, too. (Plus, the update pushed half of my level 3s into level 4 thanks to the XP threshold adjustment, which puts more of a crunch on me to use them to kill some Veteran bosses.)

What I'm doing right now is just milling through all my level 0s, smashing them into dungeons for cash and then dismissing them, until I get some classes I don't already have two or three of.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MinibarMatchman posted:

A couple reasons:
  • Your roster size is limited, as people have said. You can increase it but the cap is what, 25? That's maybe 5-6 teams total if everybody is perfectly set into their own team with no swapping around or overlap, which of course doesn't happen due to dungeon-specific compositions, the need to destress or receive treatment, etc. And you can only have a couple of each class at best.
  • XP isn't ever really the issue, money is. If I got no or very little money from overleveling a dungeon the only reason I'd do it is to level up some guys, which is fine, but I need to be able to do that rather than assume I have a 4-man party of lv0s that I may not have the roster for. If I need to powerlevel one guy from 0 to 5-6 I can't because he/she can't just waltz into Apprentice and Veteran dungeons solo, and dragging them through Champions sucks.
  • The missions you get offered don't always scale properly to what your roster is up for. Got some low-levels but no Apprentice dungeons? gently caress you. Got a full roster of lv5+ guys but keep getting offered Veteran dungeons? gently caress you. There's always something you can do but it's RNG-dependent so you may have to just suck it up and do a Long or Short dungeon you didn't really want to do just to reshuffle the list. Which screws with your party in some way, even if you just instantly retreat.
You're right that letting people go into lower-level dungeons makes them super easy, but there are better ways to handle that than "I can't do anything I want to do because of logistical juggling and guys refusing to lower themselves to the task." Scaling the loot down or something, I dunno, but having guys refuse to go is a pain.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bemis posted:

dismiss heroes

problem solved

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

dismiss heroes

problem solved

:cripes:

The level gating and level grinding are two dumb and clunky aspects of this game

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

All of the problems basically come down to the limited roster. So I have 25 level 4 dudes. One of them dies. Now they are level 0, and I can't level them until I replace 3 of my other level 4 dudes.

I'm already into the situation where I want to experiment with more different classes, but I can't without wrecking my roster gearing up for champion dungeons.

And yeah, I don't understand why they though that blindfire needed a buff. It was already insanely good.

bring your baby to a short champion mission. trial by fire.

the most annoying part of the level restriction is lower tier bosses you sometimes need to skip, and thats only a problem because of my crippling aspergers

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

The arbalest mini heal -> Occultist heal is funny poo poo.

yeah i got one of those ridiculous ~50 point crit heals the other night with that combo

i mean, the guy i was healing was only maybe 15 health down from full, but it was a good effort

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

the most annoying part of the level restriction is lower tier bosses you sometimes need to skip, and thats only a problem because of my crippling aspergers

Everyone complaining about the new xp changes are literally missing the point of the game.

The way to win the game is to beat the Darkest Dungeon. The bosses have nothing to do with the game's progression, they are just another goal to put on a checklist. The game is called Darkest Dungeon, not "Bosses of the Weald, Warrens, Ruins, and Cove."

"Outleveling" the bosses is not a real complaint. If you "outlevel" the bosses, fight the bosses once your first team dies and you raise some new adventurers.

On top of that, if you clear all the low level bosses, you're forced to grind random missions to create a new team once you complete a level of the Darkest Dungeon.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
incidentally can i just say that i love the occultist attack sound effects a whole freaking bunch?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

victrix posted:

:cripes:

The level gating and level grinding are two dumb and clunky aspects of this game

The fact that the level gating is only for higher level heroes going into lower level missions and not the reverse completely negates that.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

Everyone complaining about the new xp changes are literally missing the point of the game.

The way to win the game is to beat the Darkest Dungeon. The bosses have nothing to do with the game's progression, they are just another goal to put on a checklist. The game is called Darkest Dungeon, not "Bosses of the Weald, Warrens, Ruins, and Cove."

"Outleveling" the bosses is not a real complaint. If you "outlevel" the bosses, fight the bosses once your first team dies and you raise some new adventurers.

On top of that, if you clear all the low level bosses, you're forced to grind random missions to create a new team once you complete a level of the Darkest Dungeon.
Well there's a little more to it than that: each boss gives you a sweet little soundbite that offers up a bit of background and fits snugly inside your Ancestor's Memoirs tab. The bosses may be incidental to the endgame, but you know what they say: it's not the destination, it's the journey that matters... :dings:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The bosses actually give you the best trinkets in the game at level 6

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I didn't know you could even bring them, because they say stuff to the effect of refusing to go.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you can send them straight to the darkest dungeon at level 0 if you want. the game only prevents you from sending higher level dudes on milk runs; anything else is fair game.

they'll probably go nuts and theres a decent chance they'll bite it, but they get more experience on the high level stuff, so it evens out a little

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think "You don't have to do the bosses!" is even worth arguing. Of course people are going to want to do the bosses, don't be dense. They're "technically optional" but bosses are the only somewhat unique content in the game outside the DD and they drop rewards that help with doing the DD, telling someone to "just skip them" is idiotic.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Lv0/1 heroes are a complete liability in Champion missions. Anyone under lv5 is. Like yes you can do it and if they complete it they should jump up to lv3/4 right away but that's at least 2-3 runs for someone to not have a giant KICK ME sign on their chests because Champion enemies can smell weakness. For characters who are kind of stuck up front it's even worse because it's not like you can stick a Leper in the back of a Champion party and not expect the entire experience to be a huge waste of your time.

And if that's the intended solution then stop offering me non-Champion missions because those may as well be empty slots on the Embark menu.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

I don't think "You don't have to do the bosses!" is even worth arguing. Of course people are going to want to do the bosses, don't be dense. They're "technically optional" but bosses are the only somewhat unique content in the game outside the DD and they drop rewards that help with doing the DD, telling someone to "just skip them" is idiotic.

Speaking of boss trinkets, thanks to the help of Doctor Schnabel, I was able to test and discover that you can edit the trinkets json and make the boss trinkets appear in the trinket vendor if a player wants. I did it because I played throughout EA (closing in on 300 weeks lol), and my only option for getting those trinkets was to start a new file. The boss trinkets are stupidly good compared to almost all the other trinkets in game.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Adding a level-lock toggle would be one (admittedly clunky) way to solve this issue.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nakar posted:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nakar posted:

Lv0/1 heroes are a complete liability in Champion missions. Anyone under lv5 is. Like yes you can do it and if they complete it they should jump up to lv3/4 right away but that's at least 2-3 runs for someone to not have a giant KICK ME sign on their chests because Champion enemies can smell weakness. For characters who are kind of stuck up front it's even worse because it's not like you can stick a Leper in the back of a Champion party and not expect the entire experience to be a huge waste of your time.

And if that's the intended solution then stop offering me non-Champion missions because those may as well be empty slots on the Embark menu.
hey man, don't shoot me, i just work here. i think that's one of the possible solutions, and yes, it comes with some pretty big risks, but on the other hand watching little people scream for mercy can sometimes be funny.

the safer solution is to either fire some fools, or wait until enough people bite it that you have enough slots for a team of new hires. or you can just mod your roster size. nobody will punch you through the monitor if you take that route

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doubly stupid when the caretakers checklist is 'beat every boss!' and the story snippits are tied to the bosses

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

FreeKillB posted:

Yup, level 5 dudes will refuse veteran quests. I think the devs have pushed themselves into a corner, where it is now too easy to level guys up to 5 way before you have enough heirlooms+gold for champion to feel reasonable. However, making levelups take longer just makes the grind for "more level 6's to throw at the DD" that much worse.

However, I think the faster xp curve improves the game. I certainly had memorable experiences doing champion runs with level 3-4 equipment + skills. I just wished that so much of the game didn't give me the feeling that I needed to be doing the weald/warrens because I needed those heirlooms so much more. I like doing ruins runs, and the cove has some really distinct design, but I never once thought "man i need more crests/busts". Nope, instead I felt obligated to go either to blighty-treebranch-rear end in a top hat land or disease-pig land. It is a lot more fun now that I'm just ignoring heirlooms to do the regions more evenly.

I almost immediately ran into this wall last night. I'm nowhere near getting gear/skills upgraded to level 5 yet 1/4 of my roster has hit level 5 already. I've only defeated 3 of the Veteran bosses so I'll have to decide tonite if I'm going to edit the roster size or start dismissing level 5 dudes to make room. I'm going to edit the ini obviously.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ive always approached the game in a way where experience is something that needs to be budgeted just as much as money. i go through my roster, figure which guys i want to use for boss runs, and which ones can send on missions without bumping them over the level threshold. its not really that big a deal if you put a little thought into it, but i can see how it would get up peoples nose, and tbh having to ask yourself "ok will this guy get TOO MUCH experience?" is kind of counter intuitive

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The way they are handling resolve XP is misguided and it shows in people rapidly out leveling bosses and the guild/blacksmith for most of the game but then having to grind replacement teams for the final dungeon.

You should gain resolve slower than you do now for a good portion of the game, then increase the rate as the game progresses. Applying flat bonus or penalty is stupid. A simple and effective solution would be to lower the global rate somewhat, but to increase the resolve gain rate for every building in the hamlet that is maxed out (such that and max upgrades you are significantly above the current resolve generation rate).

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Another successful Long Weald 0 stress run but this party is really awkward. In what situations do you guys like to have the Houndmaster in position 1?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

paranoid randroid posted:

ive always approached the game in a way where experience is something that needs to be budgeted just as much as money. i go through my roster, figure which guys i want to use for boss runs, and which ones can send on missions without bumping them over the level threshold. its not really that big a deal if you put a little thought into it, but i can see how it would get up peoples nose, and tbh having to ask yourself "ok will this guy get TOO MUCH experience?" is kind of counter intuitive
The main issue is this leads to gamey exploits: Nobody gains XP if you abandon, but you still make money. Midgame one could argue the gamiest thing to do is keep at least a party of guys at Veteran level to stomp through those for tons of gold to feed your Champion guys' need for the expensive final tiers of weapons/armor/skills. The intended mechanic is to prevent this by having your guys outlevel and to discourage dismissing people you've invested in (since you probably sunk gold into their weapons/armors) and by not allowing lv0s to upgrade anything, but intentionally ducking out on missions to avoid XP is both easy (just do Exploration missions and bug out well before 90%) and obviously not what they intended.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Nakar posted:

Telling them to "just skip the bosses" is a reasonable response to someone who is unwilling to lose anyone on their roster. Losing guys is an inherent part of this game, how comfortable you are with it is all on your part. Once again "What will you sacrifice to save the life of your favourite hero?" Sacrifice doing the bosses? I guess so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's definitely worth fighting the bosses if you've got what it takes, but it's nice to know that any one particular boss giving you a legendarily bad time can be skipped without inhibiting your ability to finish the game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lyrax posted:

Telling them to "just skip the bosses" is a reasonable response to someone who is unwilling to lose anyone on their roster. Losing guys is an inherent part of this game, how comfortable you are with it is all on your part. Once again "What will you sacrifice to save the life of your favourite hero?" Sacrifice doing the bosses? I guess so.
Guys dying is an inherent part of the game. Dismissing low-level guys who didn't make the cut on their first mission is an inherent part of the game. Throwing out heavily-leveled and upgraded lv5/6 heroes because you ran out of space and need a full party to fight a Veteran boss to unlock the Champion version is dumb in every sense. I deal with it because I don't really want to alter the challenge of the game by modding in a bigger roster or whatever, and I try to clear every Apprentice/Veteran boss before my crew outlevels it, but that doesn't mean I don't find it a bit irksome and it's insanely fast to level now. Post-patch my guys went 3 -> 4 in a single dungeon, and after another were halfway to 5. There are like 8 Veteran bosses. Something has to give there.

It's just weird that you're better off wiping entirely in the DD than losing one guy, because it's easier to build up a full party from scratch than a single hero.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lyrax posted:

Sorry that's the dumbest thing I've read in this whole thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

Guys dying is an inherent part of the game. Dismissing low-level guys who didn't make the cut on their first mission is an inherent part of the game. Throwing out heavily-leveled and upgraded lv5/6 heroes because you ran out of space and need a full party to fight a Veteran boss to unlock the Champion version is dumb in every sense. I deal with it because I don't really want to alter the challenge of the game by modding in a bigger roster or whatever, and I try to clear every Apprentice/Veteran boss before my crew outlevels it, but that doesn't mean I don't find it a bit irksome and it's insanely fast to level now. Post-patch my guys went 3 -> 4 in a single dungeon, and after another were halfway to 5. There are like 8 Veteran bosses. Something has to give there.

It's just weird that you're better off wiping entirely in the DD than losing one guy, because it's easier to build up a full party from scratch than a single hero.

This.

I've killed 1 veteran boss, 1/3 of my roster is level 4.