Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I've been thinking of doing a little exploring run to boost my rank now that some missions require it.

How do you find where to go that's unexplored?

You look at the galactic map. If the system map is red and unavailable, it's unexplored.

(If you want your name on something however, instead of just money, fly into a random direction for 1-2k light years and you should find something pristine.)

If you want a bit more direction, go and visit NGC 6337. There's a nice Wolf-Rayet Star for some screenshots to visit and it's ~5k light years from the bubble. It's a nice little intermediate explorer's target.

Or go for V818 Monocerotis, that's a nice beginner's target less than 3k ly away. It's in my notes as "mystery X-1", which I think means either a neutron star or a black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is the cutter worth the grind? It's an absolutely gorgeous ship, and as I mainly trade or smuggle for cash it's a definite improvement on my anaconda, but that rep grind...

A lot of people seem to be smuggling in it, so that means it must be good... right? I'm only acquainted with mission smuggling, so I assume they/you must be doing something else. If it's as slow a turner as everyone here says, I don't know how you could manage to shoot an interdiction npc before their scan completes and your mission fails... which is the only thing that works. They have magical bullshit chaff-proof stealth-proof fairie sensors

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nice piece of fish posted:

Is the cutter worth the grind? It's an absolutely gorgeous ship, and as I mainly trade or smuggle for cash it's a definite improvement on my anaconda, but that rep grind...

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

A lot of people seem to be smuggling in it, so that means it must be good... right? I'm only acquainted with mission smuggling, so I assume they/you must be doing something else. If it's as slow a turner as everyone here says, I don't know how you could manage to shoot an interdiction npc before their scan completes and your mission fails... which is the only thing that works. They have magical bullshit chaff-proof stealth-proof fairie sensors

I like rep grinding, so my answer's probably biased. But it was only about an 18 hour grind spread out over a couple weeks, which I didn't find terribly difficult. It is a beautiful ship, but I wouldn't recommend it for PvP combat at all and it's probably second to a Corvette or Anaconda for PvE. You can get it up to a 25ly jump range which would be passable for an explorer, but really the only place that it shines is as a bulk trader. 720 tons of cargo space and a 15ly jump range can easily net you 13mil/hour on a good route.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for smuggling- it can't land at outposts, and while it's fast it isn't faster than a Viper which is what's going to be scanning you. Now, a clipper, that is probably a perfectly decent smuggling ship. Also a lot less of a grind.

As far as stopping scans goes- never fight. Just boost boost boost, as long as you can clear 1.5km distance between you and the other ship before the scan finishes you'll be fine. I've never once been scanned in open space and I've never had to shoot a cop (yet).

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 2, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

A bunch of wisdom

It's entirely possible that I confused cutter with clipper in my recollection of what people are using. And I never thought about the max scan range, that's brilliant. I got the shooting idea from this video, but he's focused specifically on the asp, because he's a better pilot than me and can make the shoot trick work. Maybe it just isn't capable of out-boosting cops when fully loaded? I made do just fine with a cobra (at both running and shooting) but once I earned enough to upgrade to an asp I started having a hell of a time. I've even been scanned exiting stations.

Is there anything close to the asp's jump range and the cobra's speed? I don't feel like I need the asp's cargo to mission smuggle; if you do the board reset "exploit" 1-3 ton missions aren't uncommon.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's entirely possible that I confused cutter with clipper in my recollection of what people are using. And I never thought about the max scan range, that's brilliant. I got the shooting idea from this video, but he's focused specifically on the asp, because he's a better pilot than me and can make the shoot trick work. Maybe it just isn't capable of out-boosting cops when fully loaded? I made do just fine with a cobra (at both running and shooting) but once I earned enough to upgrade to an asp I started having a hell of a time. I've even been scanned exiting stations.

Is there anything close to the asp's jump range and the cobra's speed? I don't feel like I need the asp's cargo to mission smuggle; if you do the board reset "exploit" 1-3 ton missions aren't uncommon.

I use an ASP Explorer fitted like so: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5A5A4D4A5D5C---17--040404-05f5f3f343f22f.Iw18WQ==.Aw19gzOQ?bn=Asp%20Smuggler

It's not nearly as fast as a fully fitted cobra but it's got easily double the jump range and 4 times the cargo capacity. 64t is more than enough to hold 40mil in Robigo missions and you will still hit 380 m/s while boosting with 4 pips in engines, which you should basically always be doing, and which is fast enough to escape all scans if you submit and boost. All other space is devoted to fuel so you never have to scoop and a single laser to let you flash hardpoints at NPC's (it sometimes interrupts scans).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

You look at the galactic map. If the system map is red and unavailable, it's unexplored.

(If you want your name on something however, instead of just money, fly into a random direction for 1-2k light years and you should find something pristine.)
Since this is a common source of confusion, be aware that "unexplored" means YOU haven't been there yet.

Systems that NOBODY has explored yet are only really visible from the system map, where you'll see their names next to stars and planets, or not.

If you're determined to get your name on those Type O stars, then yeah, start flying away from human space as far as you can. The more random, the better. Nebulae are great for sight-seeing, but any sort of major landmark is going to draw other players like flies.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Jarmak posted:

I've been thinking of doing a little exploring run to boost my rank now that some missions require it.

I'm currently heading out towards Sagittarius A and rather than taking a direct route I've gone slightly up and now heading back down again. I've about 9000ly to go and about 99% of the systems I've bothered to check the system map in recently have been unexplored.

Now I'm out in the middle of nowhere, finding a system previously explored by someone is a treat!

Not looking forward to the trip home mind....!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Basically there's two types of smuggling: long range (mission-based) and commodity (buy from the market, sell to the black market).

Long range smuggling (e.g. Shadow Deliveries or Discreet Transport missions from Robigo) normally involve outposts so you're generally limited to ships that can land on medium pads. The three most popular ships for long range smuggling are the Cobra (fastest, smallest cargo), the Asp Explorer (longest jump distance, medium cargo) and the Python (lowest jump distance, largest cargo).

Commodity-based smuggling involves buying high value goods off the market (imperial slaves, slaves, narcotics, etc.) at a low price and then taking them somewhere that they're illegal and selling them on the black market. Most commodity smuggling involves using the various bonuses systems have under Powerplay to maximise profits but normally the return route isn't anywhere near as profitable unlike normal loop trade routes (e.g. 3500/t profit one way and 300/t the other way). Just about any ship with a large cargo capacity will work for commodity smuggling but you're obviously limited by landing pad size.

As a general rule of thumb you really need to be moving very large quantities of cargo at a good profit (like, making 12m+ an hour in profit) before it's somewhat competitive with long range smuggling in an Asp. That said, there's also basically no risk and you can pick it up and put it down whenever you feel like instead of being constrained by mission timers.

There seems to be some confusion over what ships are large so for reference if you're using a Type-7, Type-9, Imperial Clipper, Imperial Cutter, Orca, Federal Corvette or Anaconda you're limited to stations only. In terms of the large ships, the Imperial Clipper is the fastest and best handling around the 200t cargo mark, the Anaconda has fantastic jump range around the 400t mark and the Cutter is rank locked and handles terribly but is fast and can carry 720t of cargo while being able to do 15LY of jump range.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Jarmak posted:

You could try going to the Eagle nebula to see the pillars of creation up close.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You only get a bonus if you're the first person to find/scan/turn in a particular object. You will still get paid even if you're not the first person there. One thing you can do is just have the advanced discovery scanner and use it whenever you jump into a system.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I use an ASP Explorer fitted like so: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5A5A4D4A5D5C---17--040404-05f5f3f343f22f.Iw18WQ==.Aw19gzOQ?bn=Asp%20Smuggler

It's not nearly as fast as a fully fitted cobra but it's got easily double the jump range and 4 times the cargo capacity. 64t is more than enough to hold 40mil in Robigo missions and you will still hit 380 m/s while boosting with 4 pips in engines, which you should basically always be doing, and which is fast enough to escape all scans if you submit and boost. All other space is devoted to fuel so you never have to scoop and a single laser to let you flash hardpoints at NPC's (it sometimes interrupts scans).

I basically run the same fit but I drop the shield boosters and downgrade the power plant (to I think 3A?) for better heat efficiency and some weight savings. If you're just running you could probably do the same? I'm also not running so many fuel tanks. I'll try that and your run-and-flash-hardpoints strategy tonight. Hopefully that will work until I can afford an FAS, at which point I'll probably switch back to bounty hunting and PP since they're less time thirsty. Thanks everyone!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Does anyone know what happens if you're at 100% rank and keep giving to donation misisons? Does it overflow your rank points to the next tier, or are they wasted?

On my last rank-up I stopped paying attention and did a few rounds of missions after hitting 100, and after promotion it started me at 12% into midshipman. So it seems like there might be overflow? But I haven't explored further. :effort:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Does anyone know what happens if you're at 100% rank and keep giving to donation misisons? Does it overflow your rank points to the next tier, or are they wasted?

On my last rank-up I stopped paying attention and did a few rounds of missions after hitting 100, and after promotion it started me at 12% into midshipman. So it seems like there might be overflow? But I haven't explored further. :effort:
It overflows, yes. I had 4 back to back Fed rankup missions from Sothis/Robigo smuggling mission completion back in the day.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

gently caress. yes. Time to load up and donate

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mr_jolly posted:

I'm currently heading out towards Sagittarius A and rather than taking a direct route I've gone slightly up and now heading back down again. I've about 9000ly to go and about 99% of the systems I've bothered to check the system map in recently have been unexplored.

Now I'm out in the middle of nowhere, finding a system previously explored by someone is a treat!

Not looking forward to the trip home mind....!

This.

If you make any kind of stupidly long-range journey to the other side of the galaxy and the like (like Sagittarius A), spend the first couple hundred light years going into a random direction away from the bubble and away from your target. This way, you move out of the way of most explorers, who just make a beeline straight to their goal.

(In my case, I've been planning to travel to some random stellar object 1,3k ly away from the bubble, and only then will I start travelling to Sagittarius A.)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I just got back yesterday from a trip to Sgr A* and I went like 5kly sideways first before heading to the center, then aimed for the Carina Nebula on the way back. 99.9% unexplored and a cool 78 million payout when I got back. Not taking a beeline route is the key to hitting unexplored stuff.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

BRB pooping posted:

What weapons do you have on it? Do the size of the hardpoints make up for there only being two hardpoints available?

I have C3 gimballed pulses. I'm still a tadpole, so it's D/C specced at the moment. I learned the hard way last night that taking on an Anaconda wing isn't maybe the best idea in a D/C specced Vulture. I was in a High Res, but there were no cops around. I had been killing Pythons with no issue and dispatched the guy's Viper Mk III wingman easily, but the Anaconda just tore me up. If I stayed directly aft of it, I got some respite from the guns, but it was mounting turrets, so I was getting chewed up quickly. I tried to get out of dodge, but my powerplant failed and I died.

I think the Anaconda NPC was rated "Master", which may have been too high for me to take on, but any suggestions or advice?

Luneshot posted:

I just got back yesterday from a trip to Sgr A* and I went like 5kly sideways first before heading to the center, then aimed for the Carina Nebula on the way back. 99.9% unexplored and a cool 78 million payout when I got back. Not taking a beeline route is the key to hitting unexplored stuff.

Once I grind the credits for an Asp-E, I do want to go on the long exploring trip.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm only 55 million away from Elite, at least, so if I just make that trip again without hitting the same stars then I'll be golden. The biggest issue is motivating myself to do that again :v:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Managed to pick up a mislabeled x52-pro for $150 after I found the thrustmaster too big and cheesy. I'm a little overwhelmed by it!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I have C3 gimballed pulses. I'm still a tadpole, so it's D/C specced at the moment. I learned the hard way last night that taking on an Anaconda wing isn't maybe the best idea in a D/C specced Vulture. I was in a High Res, but there were no cops around. I had been killing Pythons with no issue and dispatched the guy's Viper Mk III wingman easily, but the Anaconda just tore me up. If I stayed directly aft of it, I got some respite from the guns, but it was mounting turrets, so I was getting chewed up quickly. I tried to get out of dodge, but my powerplant failed and I died.

I think the Anaconda NPC was rated "Master", which may have been too high for me to take on, but any suggestions or advice?

Better modules should make Anacondas easy targets for you. Biweave shield, as many shield boosters as you can fit (I think only two A rated ones with an A power plant and two large pulses), and otherwise stuffed with hull reinforcement packages. Vulture is a combat ship, don't bother with garbage like cargo racks or scanners or whatever!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I'm only 55 million away from Elite, at least, so if I just make that trip again without hitting the same stars then I'll be golden. The biggest issue is motivating myself to do that again :v:

I want to fly to the other side of the galaxy, but I'm waiting until crafting and another round of ships are in, just in case I can get something fancy looking and expensive plus the ability to fine-tune my FSD.

If the new ships aren't good enough for my fine taste, I'll just go with my explo-cutter idea, loaded up with jump booster juice (and hopefully a tuned FSD). :colbert:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Once I grind the credits for an Asp-E, I do want to go on the long exploring trip.

Stack smuggling missions out of Robigo or a similar system in a cobra. You'll have enough for that fancy asp in an evening or two (unless you love bounty hunting, then by all means bling out that sexy vulture). You may be tempted to keep milking that credit faucet for something bigger than the asp, though!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Stack smuggling missions out of Robigo or a similar system in a cobra. You'll have enough for that fancy asp in an evening or two (unless you love bounty hunting, then by all means bling out that sexy vulture). You may be tempted to keep milking that credit faucet for something bigger than the asp, though!

I have a Cobra and I've used it to do rare trading at the Lave loop. I thought you needed :20bux: and some serious trade rank to do Robigo.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

Anacondas have most of their hardpoints on the top side, so if you can already manage to stick to its rear end, it's just a matter of fine tuning your relative positioning so you hang below the normal plane on the ventral side. It won't totally hide you from return fire, but it will remove the vast majority of the conda's firepower.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Anacondas have most of their hardpoints on the top side, so if you can already manage to stick to its rear end, it's just a matter of fine tuning your relative positioning so you hang below the normal plane on the ventral side. It won't totally hide you from return fire, but it will remove the vast majority of the conda's firepower.
The Conda has two on top, two on the sides and four below :raise:. Are you thinking of the Python or Corvette?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

I have a Cobra and I've used it to do rare trading at the Lave loop. I thought you needed :20bux: and some serious trade rank to do Robigo.

No way, it's super accessible. Required rank definitely varies by mission, so if you lack rank you will have to spend more time refreshing the board. But there are some that only require Mostly Penniless or even just Penniless. I started at like 8% Penniless, I had done no trading. My first night in Fehu I found two missions I could do, and just completing the first one knocked me up to Peddler. The second night I went to Robigo and had no trouble filling up my cobra. That set of runs gave me enough to hit Merchant and fit an asp. I had some bad runs while I was getting used to the asp where I got scanned, lost everything, and was starting to tilt hard. But after some advice itt I tweaked my fit to the one above, and last night I got most of the way to broker with only a half full hold (that time I was in 17 Draconis, where there are great donation missions but fewer smuggling ones). All in all it's been good fun and insane money for someone who's previously only bounty hunted. I've even gotten my explo rank up to Surveyor by scanning the systems I pass through while my FSD is cooling

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

MoraleHazard posted:

Two chaff launchers, if you don't have them already. You can keep up a near-constant confetti cloud to throw off turretted weapons while you pound the shite out of its powerplant.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MoraleHazard posted:

Never be afraid to run from a big NPC and then come back a few minutes later when your shields are up. Somebody already recommended shooting it from below, which is good advice. The other really good thing to do with Anacondas is to just get right up on them. Like, single-digit meters away from their rear. I find that if I do that and target the power plant, they usually cannot turn or move well enough to shake me and the bulk of their ship prevents the turrets from firing on me.

Libluini posted:

If the new ships aren't good enough for my fine taste, I'll just go with my explo-cutter idea, loaded up with jump booster juice (and hopefully a tuned FSD). :colbert:

I'm really, really tempted to take the Cutter on a tour to some nearby nebula. I don't know why- I just love the big expensive whaleship, for some reason.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mercurius posted:

The Conda has two on top, two on the sides and four below :raise:. Are you thinking of the Python or Corvette?

Corvette then, probably

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One thing to remember is to make sure to check your targets. If it says they are in a wing, I first check to see what the wing might contain. I find it easier to take on wings that are trying to kill an NPC. In fact, I generally go to where they are shooting a NPC rather than scanning the local area. The lasers in the distance are easily seen even when my scanner can't pick them up.

There is also no shame in running when you are losing a battle. Would you rather get that bounty, or pay the insurance cost for a destroyed ship?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing to remember is to make sure to check your targets. If it says they are in a wing, I first check to see what the wing might contain. I find it easier to take on wings that are trying to kill an NPC. In fact, I generally go to where they are shooting a NPC rather than scanning the local area. The lasers in the distance are easily seen even when my scanner can't pick them up.

There is also no shame in running when you are losing a battle. Would you rather get that bounty, or pay the insurance cost for a destroyed ship?

Also watch out for shadow wings. If you see two Cobras that are in a wing of 3, flying in formation with a "wingless" Anaconda, the Conda is part of the Cobra wing. Even odds on whether it's a bug or intentional.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Too bad that, as a player, you can only collect up to 1 million in bounties per faction off of another player.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Too bad that, as a player, you can only collect up to 1 million in bounties per faction off of another player.

Is that you?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Is that you?

Yeah. I'm currently holding the #1 bounty spot for Robigo with Spaph and Kermit following behind me.

Felix should bump Kermit soon enough, maybe even Spaph when his fine finally rolls over into a bounty.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

Yeah. I'm currently holding the #1 bounty spot for Robigo with Spaph and Kermit following behind me.

Felix should bump Kermit soon enough, maybe even Spaph when his fine finally rolls over into a bounty.

Good god, how do you even get it that high? Surely not by killing ships, you'd have to kill thousands.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Pictured: Naughty frogs! :jiggled:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So I haven't played for about 6 months but I'm thinking of checking out horizons. Bit confused however since the store seems to still show a beta version as well as the standard horizons? Also am I too late to pick up a discount on horizons since I already have the base game? The store doesn't seem to give me any indication I'll get a discount once horizons is in my basket...

I'm pretty sure when I quit I had a nicely fitted FDL and some other stuff. Just reinstalling now and looking forward to seeing what's changed. Anything big I should look out for other than new ships (and the planet stuff once I bite the bullet and upgrade)?

Are rare runs still a good consistent money earner or has something new come along for those who've already got 100m plus in assets?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KM Scorchio posted:

So I haven't played for about 6 months but I'm thinking of checking out horizons. Bit confused however since the store seems to still show a beta version as well as the standard horizons? Also am I too late to pick up a discount on horizons since I already have the base game? The store doesn't seem to give me any indication I'll get a discount once horizons is in my basket...

I'm pretty sure when I quit I had a nicely fitted FDL and some other stuff. Just reinstalling now and looking forward to seeing what's changed. Anything big I should look out for other than new ships (and the planet stuff once I bite the bullet and upgrade)?

Are rare runs still a good consistent money earner or has something new come along for those who've already got 100m plus in assets?

The beta version gives you beta-access to every major patch for Horizons, until the season ends in December 2016 with the next expansion. So if you buy it now, you'll get slightly less value since you missed the Horizons-beta last year, but you'll still get the other betas in this year.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think this is the first worthy screenshot I've taken:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Libluini posted:

The beta version gives you beta-access to every major patch for Horizons, until the season ends in December 2016 with the next expansion. So if you buy it now, you'll get slightly less value since you missed the Horizons-beta last year, but you'll still get the other betas in this year.

Ahhh right cheers. Store page didn't make that too clear.

• Locked thread