Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

symbolic posted:

I assume you already know about CS:GO Lounge, in which case I'm no help since that's the only site I use to trade.

I do but I'm not sure how dedicated each site is to trading/selling or whatever. I feel like I have two pretty decent ones that I'd let go probably for a key or two each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I always play at 60hz because it's my monitors refresh rate so going higher than that would not only have no benefit, it would be detrimental to my gaming experience.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smithereens posted:

just a heads up guys, when you update your graphics poo poo (for me it was my catalyst AMD crimson control drivers ) your refresh rate gets reset back to 60hz. ive been playing with 60hz for the past month

I had a similar experience, when nvidia drivers update I lose both my overclock (which doesn't matter for CSGO obviously) and g-sync has to be set to work on borderless windowed again. I won't argue that g-sync makes a huge difference at 144hz but I like to know it's functioning.

When I set fps_max back down to 60 I feel nauseous playing, I can't believe that it was totally fine before. Anyone on the fence about a high refresh rate monitor should absolutely do it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I had a similar experience, when nvidia drivers update I lose both my overclock (which doesn't matter for CSGO obviously) and g-sync has to be set to work on borderless windowed again. I won't argue that g-sync makes a huge difference at 144hz but I like to know it's functioning.

When I set fps_max back down to 60 I feel nauseous playing, I can't believe that it was totally fine before. Anyone on the fence about a high refresh rate monitor should absolutely do it.

fps max 60 isnt the same as playing on a 60hz monitor lmfao

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

fps max 60 isnt the same as playing on a 60hz monitor lmfao

In what way? If you're not dipping below 60fps ever how is it different?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

set you monitor to 60hz and play with your max fps and then 60 fps and theres a noticable difference, the games framerate also affects its responsiveness which is why pros play at like 300 fps

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

Everyone already predicted this, myself included. I just find it interesting that Titan shelled out 150K for ScreaM only to have him back on the team he was on beforehand.

this actually owns a ton

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

This is gonna get kind of spergy but whatever. At a higher refresh rate the frame will physically appear on screen faster than a 60hz monitor, especially if the 60hz monitor is IPS. Obviously you get full bang for your buck if you can go 144 frames and higher, but there's still a huge difference. Case in point, on the human benchmark reaction time website (http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime), I can't achieve lower than around 230ms on my 60hz Dell IPS at work, and I just tried it on my 144hz BenQ right now and scored an average of 186ms over 15 tries. Chrome runs that animation at 60FPS. That's literally the difference between playing with 44ms ping and playing with 0 ping.

In short, 144hz just makes you better at the game.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Uhh but the human eye can only see 30 FPS.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

qhat posted:

This is gonna get kind of spergy but whatever. At a higher refresh rate the frame will physically appear on screen faster than a 60hz monitor, especially if the 60hz monitor is IPS. Obviously you get full bang for your buck if you can go 144 frames and higher, but there's still a huge difference. Case in point, on the human benchmark reaction time website (http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime), I can't achieve lower than around 230ms on my 60hz Dell IPS at work, and I just tried it on my 144hz BenQ right now and scored an average of 186ms over 15 tries. Chrome runs that animation at 60FPS. That's literally the difference between playing with 44ms ping and playing with 0 ping.

In short, 144hz just makes you better at the game.

set you monitor to 60hz and play with your max fps and then 60 fps and theres a noticable difference, the games framerate also affects its responsiveness which is why pros play at like 300 fps

Hm. Could it be argued then that you should turn off gsync and push 300fps on a 144hz panel as it would be better than the 144fps with gsync? I'll have to play with this when I get home.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Well, goons, I did it. I pulled the trigger on that Acer 144 Hz. Everything is so smooooooth. I had to fiddle with the colour calibration a few dozen times to get it where I wanted but it looks fantastic. Much better than I expected from a TN. Colour reproduction is still not IPS-grade but I've now got my IPS as a secondary.

I haven't even fired up any games since getting it set up and ensuring it is in fact pumping out 144 Hz and I already feel good about my purchase.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
How do 144hz's look sub 144fps because lets face it source is full of memory leaks and it might dip below that threshold.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I have a recent i7 and an R9 290X. I've never seen it go below 180 FPS.

144 Hz monitors tend to be able to run at 60, 100, 120, and 144 Hz, so if you know you can average 100 FPS in a game but not 120, you can set your refresh rate to 100 Hz.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Xenaero posted:

How do 144hz's look sub 144fps because lets face it source is full of memory leaks and it might dip below that threshold.

Not unless ur computer suxxorz!!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
What should plebs with a lovely QNIX set their max_fps to? Is 300 fine or is there some other magic number that makes a difference?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

AugmentedVision posted:

What should plebs with a lovely QNIX set their max_fps to? Is 300 fine or is there some other magic number that makes a difference?

Just set it to 300 or 0

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i play with an average 100 fps on a 60hz monitor with a 15 year old microsoft multimedia keyboard

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I play on a plasma so all your refresh rates mean nothing to me, I have to go watch a movie on a friend's lovely LCD TV to even experience motion blur

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there more commands than the x-ray for overwatch? I wish there was a "back 15 seconds" button.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Are there more commands than the x-ray for overwatch? I wish there was a "back 15 seconds" button.

Yeah the demoui is pretty bad, even more so in overwatch. I wish you could mark points during the demo and at the end it'd go back 20 seconds before each mark and replay that segment.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Hm. Could it be argued then that you should turn off gsync and push 300fps on a 144hz panel as it would be better than the 144fps with gsync? I'll have to play with this when I get home.

Tbh I don't really care about 200+ FPS, the difference in responsiveness is tiny compared to 60hz to 144hz, so I just cap the game to 144 FPS. Also, playing the game at full throttle makes my computer run loudly, produces a lot of heat, and just in general wastes power, so I'm happy with capping it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Interested to see how FPS affects your overall skill group. In future, it would help if you post your rank, mouse sensitivity, and hours of CSGO when talking about your FPS, thanks.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Interested to see how FPS affects your overall skill group. In future, it would help if you post your rank, mouse sensitivity, and hours of CSGO when talking about your FPS, thanks.

in the ionterests of all the nova gear warriors with mechanical keyboards and 144hz monitors im lem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Wooden elite grandmaster but actually global and actually only play esea, 12@1600, 2k hours csgo. my ingame name is xxDrAgOnWrAiThxx | CSGORage.com, add me on steam

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Pookum posted:

Uhh but the human eye can only see 30 FPS.

The human eye doesn't see in frames per second, it's a constant flow of information. It just doesn't differentiate fast blurry motions very well after around 30fps. If you're looking down an unmoving scope, a sudden change in your vision will fire the necessary neurons as soon as possible. If someone is playing at 30fps, and someone else is at 300, if you step out around a corner just after one of the 30th players frames had been played, the person with 300 fps will see you in 10 frames over the next .032 seconds before the 30fps screen would even draw it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think he was making a joke

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

in the ionterests of all the nova gear warriors with mechanical keyboards and 144hz monitors im lem

I am a rank above you so I outrank you, and I think that buying insanely overpriced gamer gear is actually good.

If you ever want to step into the big leagues (I'm talking Supreme Master First Class) you're looking at AT LEAST a 300$ monitor and a 100$ gamer mouse. GeT_RiGhT has all that poo poo, do you think you're better than GeT_RiGhT? Get a clue, dude.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

qhat posted:

12@1600

lower you're sens

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lower your scents

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

lower you're sens

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I think CS just lowered my IQ. We're on a save round as CT. Teammate manages to save an AWP from the round before. Gives it to a teammate. I die to a shotgun push and then realize the guy that had the AWP didn't buy armor. And then died to a shotgun at long range.

"Hey man, you should probably buy armor if someone drops you an AWP"
"We're on a save round you FUCKIN RETARD! Muted, human being."

:downs:

I suppose there could be an argument to not buying armor but in a loving MM pug, just do it dude.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sens: 1
DPI: 800
Mouse: Netscroll 120
Mousepad: A universal history book on top of a4 sheets taped to the desk
FPS: oscillating between 40 and 100
Screen: It says benq in the corner
HeadSet: Brandless earbuds

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ArfJason posted:

this is almost as funny as your thread title

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ArfJason posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

this is almost as funny as your thread title

those aren't jokes

burbo.....

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also lol at trying to own me because i made a throwaway joke once and someone thought it funny enoug to make a title

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I think a conversation we should have is what keys do people use for their nades?

Mine are as follows:

4: HE
5: Smoke
T: Incendiary
F: Flashbang
Q: Decoy

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE: MUH GOONMANZ

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ixtlilton posted:

I think a conversation we should have is what keys do people use for their nades?

Mine are as follows:

4: HE
5: Smoke
T: Incendiary
F: Flashbang
Q: Decoy

i winced a bit at binding q to anything but previous weapon but i guess it might be redundant if you just hit the right number to free up a key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

c - smoke
v - molly
4 - he
mouse4 - flash

• Locked thread