Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If you make a purchase on a credit account, it automatically goes in those categories. When you make a payment, it subtracts it.

It's weird when you have no credit balances, but I'm sure it's super helpful for people with a load of credit debt.

In theory, in your instance, you have an $85 balance on the card. Or you hosed something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

If you make a purchase on a credit account, it automatically goes in those categories. When you make a payment, it subtracts it.

It's weird when you have no credit balances, but I'm sure it's super helpful for people with a load of credit debt.

In theory, in your instance, you have an $85 balance on the card. Or you hosed something up.
I can't get any of the numbers to balance out but everything's reconciled just fine. I'll chalk this up to my logging a starting balance and a couple of transactions on that card from when I restarted my budget. :iiam:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Karthe posted:

I can't get any of the numbers to balance out but everything's reconciled just fine. I'll chalk this up to my logging a starting balance and a couple of transactions on that card from when I restarted my budget. :iiam:

I had the same issue. I just adjusted my budget so that when paid on full, that budget line goes to zero. Not a big deal, but it was kind of annoying that I couldn't figure out why our how it happened.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Did you budget to pay off your credit card balance that was on your card when you started the budget but where the transactions aren't a part of your budget because it occurred prior?

Here's how the numbers should add up:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s55/sh/ea76bea4-45dc-4922-96ad-d627fd806bb6/033e5f9e15c159be

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Here I made a little graphic that shows what each column of the credit card section is supposed to be. Note, I forgot to add that for column 3, if you are putting debt onto your card that number will actually be lower than your total card balance with the difference being the amount of CC debt you're carrying.

edit Eugh just realized I should clarify. For column 2, it's how much you spent on the card and how much money you put into it payment wise. So for example, in my first line it says $780.95 in column 1, -$353.06 in column 2, and $427.89 in column 3. So I had a total balance of $780.95 on the card when I started this budget, during this month I netted -$353.06 on the card meaning I paid $353.06 more towards the card than I charged to it, and in column 3 that lands me with $427.89 balance left on the card that I have marked to pay off.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 27, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This scares me from using YNAB. I don't understand this at all.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

This is probably one of the dumbest things they did in nYNAB. It made things a lot more complicated for the sake of it being 'completely right' rather than what makes the most sense practically speaking.

You can largely ignore it, or just use YNAB 4. I'm just lazy and like the auto import.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I find credit card handling terrible in both. In 4 it seems like credit cards are probably fine if you have massive debt and are paying one off. For now I actually just created one account and import both my bank and credit card into that - any payments I just delete (since I don't carry a balance).

It's weird that all of the app is pretty intuitive except that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Rurutia posted:

Did you budget to pay off your credit card balance that was on your card when you started the budget but where the transactions aren't a part of your budget because it occurred prior?
Part of the problem was that I hadn't budgeted for the few transactions I entered that were pending before January 1st. When I started my new budget in nYNAB I entered the CC's current balance as its starting balance, with three pending transactions back-dated to December so that things would reconcile cleanly when they finally went through.

That said, no combination of the three pending transactions plus starting balance would equal the amount that nYNAB reported as my have been underbudgeted for credit card payments. So what the gently caress ever, I budgeted into Credit Card Payments and now that I'm firmly entrenched into nYNAB I'm going to forget it ever happened.

Geirskogul posted:

Please don't, YNAB is an amazing program that produces tangible financial security if you learn the methodology and absolutely stick to it. If you have never used YNAB before you probably won't come across an issue like this - this is most likely transition pains experienced by those of us transitioning from YNAB4 to nYNAB.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

I find credit card handling terrible in both. In 4 it seems like credit cards are probably fine if you have massive debt and are paying one off. For now I actually just created one account and import both my bank and credit card into that - any payments I just delete (since I don't carry a balance).

wait what? When I pay off my credit card I do a Transfer between my bank and my credit card accounts. Almost all my spending is on card so it's already logged.

not sure how this would work with a larger debt you're paying down, but if you're paying off your card each month it's dead easy

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Defenestration posted:

wait what? When I pay off my credit card I do a Transfer between my bank and my credit card accounts. Almost all my spending is on card so it's already logged.

not sure how this would work with a larger debt you're paying down, but if you're paying off your card each month it's dead easy

Well with 4, you set up your card with a preexisting balance. Then if you pay it down, you budget money to it. You've spent money then budgeted for it, same as overspending in, say, the restaurant category and moving some cash into the budget from another category.

As you say, spending budgeted money on a card, it's just a transfer.

Though "pre ynab debt" should be called "carried debt" or something.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, credit cards boggled my mind in nynab and ynab 4. Just keep fooling with it and eventually you'll figure it out. It's not very intuitive for me and I have both carried balance and no balance.

If it really bothers you that much, delete the credit card, create a new account for it "off budget" as a liability or something, and then just budget it for it like you would with any other payment.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Defenestration posted:

This is exactly how I do things too. My credit cards started with a zero balance as I got them after I started using YNAB. Spending puts them in the negative (rightfully so) and CC payments are transfers from my checking account.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
e: missed a full page.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Yeah, exactly.

Create a budget account, label it Discover, treat it like a normal checking account or bank account or whatever, and just enter any CC transaction into that account. At the end of the month, pay the balance in full knowing you've got the money and stop worrying about it. That payment gets entered as a "Transfer to Discover." Next paycheck, just budget your money like normal.

I really like this method because it allows me to use the gently caress out of my credit card and earn my reward points without getting into anything stupid like carrying a balance.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Defenestration posted:

Weird, maybe I hosed up something and I'll give it another go. I did a fresh start numerous times and couldn't really get things reconciled but it's worth a try.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My credit card line in my budget seems to have no relation at all to what's actually going on in my credit card account, but I've just been ignoring it. I'm not carrying a balance, and all the purchases are budgeted for, so I don't really understand the purpose of having that line at all.

In other news, I got my tax return and am now almost fully rule 4 for February. The only things left to fund are my vacation goal and part of my IRA contribution goal. Having somewhere to put all that money really helped me not have this desire to spend it. Now I can look at my checking account balance and know that all the money I'm looking at is already spoken for, so I don't buy stupid stuff with it just because I can.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

My credit card line in my budget seems to have no relation at all to what's actually going on in my credit card account, but I've just been ignoring it. I'm not carrying a balance, and all the purchases are budgeted for, so I don't really understand the purpose of having that line at all.

In YNAB4 That line is for when you have a preexisting balance on that CC when you create the CC account. The idea is that you budget against it until you pay it off, and it's treated separately from your usual purchases in the CC.

Sockser posted:

Not in nYNAB it's not. Every cc transaction goes into that line.

duh, thanks

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Not in nYNAB it's not. Every cc transaction goes into that line.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Credit cards in nYNAB started making more sense when I realized you don't have to budget for credit card payments (unless you're paying down a carried over balance)

When I spend with my credit card it subtracts from the spending category and enters it as available money for credit card payment. When I pay my bill it will subtract the available money on the credit card line, and I will have budgeted $0 for credit card payments, but it will balance out because the money came from the other parts of my budget.

For the first month of my nYNAB budget (January) I had to budget the balance on my credit card from the previous month (December), but after that it'll be smooth sailing.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 30, 2016

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Credit cards in nYNAB started making more sense when I realized you don't have to budget for credit card payments (unless you're paying down a carried over balance)

When I spend with my credit card it subtracts from the spending category and enters it as available money for credit card payment. When I pay my bill it will subtract the available money on the credit card line, and I will have budgeted $0 for credit card payments, but it will balance out because the money came from the other parts of my budget.

For the first month of my nYNAB budget (January) I had to budget the balance on my credit card from the previous month (December), but after that it'll be smooth sailing.

What is the point/advantage of this over ynab 4 where i just make a transfer to pay off the cc at the end of the month?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Defenestration posted:

What is the point/advantage of this over ynab 4 where i just make a transfer to pay off the cc at the end of the month?
There isn't any. In fact in the transition docs they mention that if you don't carry a balance on your cards you can just hide that category and keep using nYNAB like YNAB4.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I decided to give nYNAB a try. The problem is that I have two credit cards that I carry a balance on and pay at the end of the billing cycle, so it shows a weird negative balance on them for a payment made in January.

I assume once I zero them out in February that everything will start to look right again?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. More of a "Which is easier to manage" question than why or how.

I need to start an emergency fund. Would it be easier to dump that into a budget line every month or separate it into a new savings account with my bank?

I can see both ways. Account means I have to make an effort to touch it but it's more accounts to juggle. If I use it as a budget line item, there's a small chance I could end up using some of it if things get out of balance. :confused: I'm just not sure which would be more streamlined.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. More of a "Which is easier to manage" question than why or how.

I need to start an emergency fund. Would it be easier to dump that into a budget line every month or separate it into a new savings account with my bank?

I can see both ways. Account means I have to make an effort to touch it but it's more accounts to juggle. If I use it as a budget line item, there's a small chance I could end up using some of it if things get out of balance. :confused: I'm just not sure which would be more streamlined.

I don't know if this is the right way but I do both. Each month I allocate money to the e.fund and then transfer it to a separate savings account as it gets pretty good interest rates.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

there's a small chance I could end up using some of it if things get out of balance.

...isn't that the point? Last thing you want to do is miss the forest for the trees and SAVE while holes appear elsewhere in your budget.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer, as YNAB can handle both the 'account' and 'category' method equally well; I suppose the method you choose depends on your mental bandwidth. If you get favourable interest rates then I'd go with the former - in which case, why not keep everything besides your average monthly spend in there? - but otherwise I'd just say gently caress it and treat it like any other YNAB category, without worrying about where the money's kept.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Toolkit for YNAB is a nice extension to add some poo poo to nYNAB. Notably the "Days of Buffering" metric, which calculates how much you can last on your money with your ongoing spending habits. Which makes kind of more sense tham AoM.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

spincube posted:

...isn't that the point? Last thing you want to do is miss the forest for the trees and SAVE while holes appear elsewhere in your budget.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer, as YNAB can handle both the 'account' and 'category' method equally well; I suppose the method you choose depends on your mental bandwidth. If you get favourable interest rates then I'd go with the former - in which case, why not keep everything besides your average monthly spend in there? - but otherwise I'd just say gently caress it and treat it like any other YNAB category, without worrying about where the money's kept.

I meant more of a "oops, my dumb rear end overspent on this unnecessary thing. Time to cover it with my emergency fund." prevention

fake edit: Jesus christ, I thought I hit submit on this thing hours ago

Combat Pretzel posted:

Toolkit for YNAB is a nice extension to add some poo poo to nYNAB. Notably the "Days of Buffering" metric, which calculates how much you can last on your money with your ongoing spending habits. Which makes kind of more sense tham AoM.

That is awesome! Thanks for the recommendation

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 2, 2016

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I have a small issue with nYNAB importing from paypal. I receive payments and ynab seems to grab the amount they paid, not the amount I actually get after the fees. This very quickly leads to nYNAB showing money I don't have and the only way I've found to get around it is to adjust every single transaction to the amount I actually received after import.

Heaven forbid I enter a transaction BEFORE I import because then nYNAB doesn't match them up because the values are different and I end up with double entries. Anyone have a more elegant way to use paypal?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Abandon hope of being able to sync the account.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

porksmash posted:

I have a small issue with nYNAB importing from paypal. I receive payments and ynab seems to grab the amount they paid, not the amount I actually get after the fees. This very quickly leads to nYNAB showing money I don't have and the only way I've found to get around it is to adjust every single transaction to the amount I actually received after import.

Heaven forbid I enter a transaction BEFORE I import because then nYNAB doesn't match them up because the values are different and I end up with double entries. Anyone have a more elegant way to use paypal?

Sync with the bank account linked to your PayPal? When the transaction hits your bank it'll at least be the correct amount

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Sync with the bank account linked to your PayPal? When the transaction hits your bank it'll at least be the correct amount

Not quite ideal, since I spend out of my paypal account too and need to track reimbursable categories and stuff. Sockser's suggestion seems best unfortunately.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

porksmash posted:

Possibly as much work as not syncing, but you could make an expense towards paypal for each of the fees as you incur them. Or once per month if you can get statements from paypal summing up your total fees paid.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here to second this. The amount of options and improvements is staggering.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
You can add YNAB Toolkit reports from the repository if you build it yourself (download the repo as zip from github, run build.bat with Python installed and in Path, import the built extension into Chrome/Safari/Firefox).

Here's an example:

Obviously if you imported your YNAB 4 data you'd have a better graph.

What's weird is I am keeping track of my YNAB4 just for the reporting currently, and it's off compared to this one. Anyone else mind reporting back if your graphs and reported net worth are the same as YNAB 4 if you imported data?

Edit: Nevermind, they're the same. I had an extra asset listed in YNAB 4 that I didn't bother with on nYNAB.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 10, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Earlier versions of the toolkit development versions had issues with the graphs, because apparently nYNAB does quite a bunch of internal transactions that are hidden away from the user. I'm glad that's taken care of. Kind of annoying that they can spin a quick Net Worth report on the side, without proper access to the backend, while the YNAB team can't. You'd think they'd throw out a bunch of bits like this, to appease the critical voices, instead of insisting on a complete solution to deliver.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rule Four, motherfuckers. :toot:

Now what? :confuoot:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

Rule Four, motherfuckers. :toot:

Now what? :confuoot:

Good job! Everything feels much easier when you are a month ahead.

Now is the time you knock out your next financial goal. Do you want to pay off debt? How about build a larger emergency fund (and raise your age of money to 90, maybe even 180 days)?

The choice is yours, and yours alone!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I've been using nYNAB for exactly two weeks thanks to this thread, and it already feels like it's been ages. I actually know where my money is going for the first time in several years, and I already feel so much more secure and confident in my finances. Even though I impulse-shopped, and had $300 in unexpected car repairs, I was able to manipulate my budget to cover it. This feels amazing after several years of willful ignorance and overspending... maybe I'll actually be able to pay down the $8k credit card debt I built up during that time. Just wanted to say thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Nettles Coterie posted:

I've been using nYNAB for exactly two weeks thanks to this thread, and it already feels like it's been ages. I actually know where my money is going for the first time in several years, and I already feel so much more secure and confident in my finances. Even though I impulse-shopped, and had $300 in unexpected car repairs, I was able to manipulate my budget to cover it. This feels amazing after several years of willful ignorance and overspending... maybe I'll actually be able to pay down the $8k credit card debt I built up during that time. Just wanted to say thanks, guys.

:unsmith:

I'm finally getting ahead, too. My car is all paid off, my net worth is slowly rising... I've started to cut down on the parts of my life that were costing too much with no benefit, and it's let me put more money into the things that matter.