Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

For anyone who couldn't run Chateau de Feu (due to a black screen or otherwise), try replacing the files in the download below.
I stripped out some stuff that makes it a bit buggy but it should at least run properly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsNzYX7cvcUc0FWcnhMbC1KRVU/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yo if any of ya'll are in NYC and have :10bux: to spare, go to the Playcrafting NYC expo today. You can meet Michael A. Zekas, Voiceover Talent and play #Everest and Slam Fighter II there. Perfect if you can't get the runtimes to work, have a mac, or want to take a selfie with an IRL anime protagonist. :japan:

EDIT: and I also made a new build with ~screen shake~! http://slamfighter.com/download

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 29, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Hey all,

We will be announcing winners and streaming out the judging deliberations the week after the Gong Show, Friday February 12th.

Due me being at PAX South this weekend it pushed everything out a week, sorry about that!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hey, is the website down or something?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I've been under the weather recently, but I ended up playing some more! In order of post on this thread, though I had to skip a few because of the website.
Really strong graphics, and the music was pretty funky-chill, too! You get bonus points for trying to recreate a gameplay system because of the difficulty with that involved (maybe not as much as you would be for inventing a really unique new gameplay idea, but still!). It sounds like you know about the bugs so I won't cover those (I got to the end of the second level before a line I cut off fell over the line and restarted the level). I felt like, besides that, if I could've seen more interesting gameplay/difficulty elements (perfect game to put screen shake :getin:) or even just window dressing like the messages on the side I would've played it for awhile!

Finally, a video game where choice matters.

That's a spicy meatball!

I really think you nailed the "Oh God, have to do everything all at once, everything is falling apart" part of the time-management genre. Good job! I never felt entirely safe, though I did think it needed some more work on the middle ground segment between everything safe and everything going to pot part. Maybe a bit more work on the audio feedback as it got pretty muddled at times (maybe a couple more tracks?). Oh, also I noticed sometimes the thermostat would trigger even when I was nowhere near it and slamming on 'E' for something else.

You had me at the sound check.

I liked the aesthetic of this one, just a moody little game. I do think it's a bit of a hard sell on making an exploration game that kind of punishes you when you explore (a bit more leading might have been nice because of that), and the audio was somewhat jarring, particularly at the ending. But I did enjoyed the minimalism and the melancholy feel!

I'm... a little confused about this one. Are screensavers back in vogue? How much unique coding did you do for it? I kind of like the zen/toy "category" so it was alright by me! Maybe a more in-depth physics engine for the snow (obvious when you change the speed), or a different graphical style (I don't hate it, but I just don't understand why the pixelization was chosen particularly for the mood?). I thought maybe the music was generated, but it didn't seem like it; that might have been neat if it was constrained? Also, I think I would've preferred a slow, HD panoramic scroll or something, as the screen going only a few pixels like that seemed a bit jittery. I'm glad there's at least a few of these games in every jam I've played!

Another one I'm a bit confused about. It was an odd game, sure, but beyond that I kind of felt there was an issue with everything meshing. Was it originally a different game or something? Not that I didn't enjoy the Breakout clone with the slightly odd rules! I also really like the idea of using that (what was it, Mesoamerican?) art style.

blastron posted:

PUNCH FIGHT V.5: ICE TO MEET YOU
Interesting little tech demo! I thought it was neat that you had to pay attention to chaining the different fighting styles, though I'd often get caught on something, usually with the sword. Maybe not the most thematic or fleshed out game (the shortened jam time must've hurt it!), but I'm glad people are experimenting with 3D action games like that.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Hey, is the website down or something?
JEEZ why'd you break the site?!
(I'm working on it, thanks!)

Edit: Looks like maybe Azure is having some issues: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/#history

I think this will be the last jam that we use Azure for the hosting. :argh:

Edit 2: Doesn't seem to be much I can do about it at the moment - absolutely nothing has changed with the site nor the hosting settings between yesterday and today, so it's nothing going on with the site itself. I'm going to leave it be for a couple hours and hope that it shakes out :-/
(Or I'll keep poking at it after a couple hours.)

SharpenedSpoonv2 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 30, 2016

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

Doom Goon posted:

I liked the aesthetic of this one, just a moody little game. I do think it's a bit of a hard sell on making an exploration game that kind of punishes you when you explore (a bit more leading might have been nice because of that), and the audio was somewhat jarring, particularly at the ending. But I did enjoyed the minimalism and the melancholy feel!

Thanks for the feedback! :3:
About the freezing mechanic, I thought of it as a way to add a sense of urgency and some sort of environmental hazard to keep the player from just roaming around pointlessly. And I admit, some of the audio was thrown in at the last moment, especially the ending. I'm glad you liked the feeling!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

I'm... a little confused about this one. Are screensavers back in vogue? How much unique coding did you do for it? I kind of like the zen/toy "category" so it was alright by me! Maybe a more in-depth physics engine for the snow (obvious when you change the speed), or a different graphical style (I don't hate it, but I just don't understand why the pixelization was chosen particularly for the mood?). I thought maybe the music was generated, but it didn't seem like it; that might have been neat if it was constrained? Also, I think I would've preferred a slow, HD panoramic scroll or something, as the screen going only a few pixels like that seemed a bit jittery. I'm glad there's at least a few of these games in every jam I've played!

Profound critique. Especially the music being generated makes me want to try and see how that'd work. The truth is that I only started after the deadline was extended by a day, that's why there's so little to it. Thank you!

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Doom Goon posted:

I've been under the weather recently, but I ended up playing some more! In order of post on this thread, though I had to skip a few because of the website.

I really think you nailed the "Oh God, have to do everything all at once, everything is falling apart" part of the time-management genre. Good job! I never felt entirely safe, though I did think it needed some more work on the middle ground segment between everything safe and everything going to pot part. Maybe a bit more work on the audio feedback as it got pretty muddled at times (maybe a couple more tracks?). Oh, also I noticed sometimes the thermostat would trigger even when I was nowhere near it and slamming on 'E' for something else.

Thanks for playing and offering a fair review!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

JEEZ why'd you break the site?!
(I'm working on it, thanks!)

Edit: Looks like maybe Azure is having some issues: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/#history

I think this will be the last jam that we use Azure for the hosting. :argh:

Edit 2: Doesn't seem to be much I can do about it at the moment - absolutely nothing has changed with the site nor the hosting settings between yesterday and today, so it's nothing going on with the site itself. I'm going to leave it be for a couple hours and hope that it shakes out :-/
(Or I'll keep poking at it after a couple hours.)

Page is still down. Is assume it can't still be Azure being busted

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, maybe I did break the site :aaa: Just kidding, no rush or anything, it's gotta be a pain to deal with.

Okay, played some more! Should be all of them posted here which I could get without the website (6 posted here I couldn't get, the rest listed on the site and with no posts here either), with the exception of #Everest which looked way too in-depth to start and give a fair shake in the middle of the night.

Kind of like a billiards/mini-golf thing, which I definitely dig. I did had some technical problems with this, including catching the ball on invisible seams, inconstant power meter and aiming, and the biggest crime which is no replay/level select/menu. I'd like to see one like Kirby's Dream Course or something one of these jams (or anytime, really).

The most realistic dating sim I have ever played (*continually hammers "scoot away"*). Eerie.

Oh man, this one broke my brain at the beginning! It kind of reminds me of those Extreme FOV Quake videos, except as a side-scrolling shooter projected as a 2D tube... or something. Really neat gimmick. I did eventually figure out the spawning:

Wow, that sure went from 0 to 60 in a flash! Simple game, but good job on making it nevertheless. Bonus points for choice of intro songs as well as contender for the "Most Likely to Hurt Myself While Playing" award.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Looking forward to your #Everest trip report and also to seeing your selfies. I'm wondering which goon is responsible for this one:

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693621770524323840

E: looking at the twitter account it seems that nobody understands that you get points by taking pictures with dumb bullshit. The game tells you that this is how you're scored multiple times, albeit in an "in-universe" way. In the next build I think I'm going to just have a massive block of text show up at the start that the user will have to dismiss that says "YOU ARE TRYING TO GET A HIGH SCORE. DUMB BULLSHIT IN PICTURES GETS YOU A HIGHER SCORE."

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 1, 2016

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Since the website is boned and I never really made a real 'hey this is our game' post with links to places other than the awfuljam website, here's a 'this is our game' post:

Shortish semi-narrative game where you play Jack, an inhabitant of and dockworker in a big city.
Jack's life is plagued with undiagnosed and untreated anxiety, a very real and debilitating medical condition. Can you help him try to keep it together as he tries to get his life in order? Audio cues are important in this game.
Uses Java
Full readme with controls + cheats: https://github.com/Chromatophore/JoeNoire/blob/master/README.md
Downloadable archive for most platforms: https://github.com/Chromatophore/JoeNoire/releases
Web build at: http://chromatophore.itch.io/average-joe - only really works with Chrome:

Mastigophoran posted:

So, we finally sort of got a web build working for Average Joe / Joe Noire, I added a link to it on the game's page. It took quite a bit of fnangling but I'm really happy we got there, it seems to behave perfectly in Chrome, a little strangely in firefox, works fine in Safari except that the audio is unhappy for the text talkings, and apparently doesn't work at all in IE?

I played some more of the games yesterday, also. I really enjoyed Chilly Birds. There are so many games it's difficult to get through them all! I can see why they split it up into groups. I keep seeing games I missed in Doom Goon's posts and being like 'oh boy I should check that one out'

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Decided today to post the zipped up Unity project so you can all make fun of my terrible code.

http://sevenhams.com/Couchill/CouchillProject.zip

Enjoy! Or don't.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Decided today to post the zipped up Unity project so you can all make fun of my terrible code.

http://sevenhams.com/Couchill/CouchillProject.zip

Enjoy! Or don't.

Programmers are nice! We would never make fun of code that isn't encountered in a work environment.

I briefly browsed your code, and I noticed that you have 6 separate classes for each collectible, and that they reuse alot of code. I think you could condense those six classes to one class by making.

enum CollectibleType {
snack,chore,broom,etc etc
}

public class Collectible {
CollectibleType type;
}

and then whenever before you would have made a specific call, like GSMainScreen.PlayVideo, you can have GSMainScreen.CollectedCollectible(type).

If that makes sense!

Also when your using enum's in C# you don't have to refer to them by number, you can do 'case: None, case: EatChips' rather than 'case:0,case:1'.

That code is pretty dang readable though.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Site is back up - be gentle with it while it finds its footing :)

Images (and gamezips) and intact, just need to transfer them over.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rob Filter posted:

I briefly browsed your code, and I noticed that you have 6 separate classes for each collectible, and that they reuse alot of code. I think you could condense those six classes to one class by making.

That code is pretty dang readable though.

I actually almost programmed it that way but between being sick and wanting to do other things I just copied the code, made small changes, and left it at that. It worked and I could get it in quickly so there it went. That isn't how I'd normally program that sort of thing at all. I had also wanted to have more variety to the collectibles and had written two of them before copying the rest but figured since it was a game jam thing I'd just finish it that way and get on with life.

Glad to know my code is readable, though; I tend to not comment code enough (this is a terrible habit) but in this case deliberately didn't comment to see if I could write clean, readable code that could be understood without comments so thank you for that!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Guess I should say the source on Chill Robot is open. https://github.com/JosephCatrambone/Chill It's duplicated from some earlier libGDX starter code, so there's a bunch of weird, inconsistent names (Space Shotguns, Metal Sky, etc).

I really want to do a bunch of microreviews of the games but I haven't had a spare moment to myself in weeks. Hope to do that this weekend.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Source for Murder, Death, Chill:
https://github.com/buffis/LittleAwfulJam2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I should post the DIE project folder. Especially if someone finds a more elegant way to do what I broke. Will do when I get home and comment it up.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Aw sweet! Site is back up so I can make sure our game's objective and scoring system now appears twice on our game page instead of just once as it did previously. I'm also gonna upload an update to our game tonight that has a few major improvements, namely, the objective and scoring system is going to be stated in at least four places.

Those of you who played #Everest, was it really unclear what you were supposed to be doing? Or is it just the people who have been posting through the game to @HashtagEverest have been missing the point/not giving a poo poo? I mean even in the version of the game submitted to the judges the scoring system is stated explicitly in the voiceover and you can tell throughout the game how many points each photo got you by the number of likes you get in your "push messages." This is starting to make me seriously depressed. :smith:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Aw sweet! Site is back up so I can make sure our game's objective and scoring system now appears twice on our game page instead of just once as it did previously. I'm also gonna upload an update to our game tonight that has a few major improvements, namely, the objective and scoring system is going to be stated in at least four places.

Those of you who played #Everest, was it really unclear what you were supposed to be doing? Or is it just the people who have been posting through the game to @HashtagEverest have been missing the point/not giving a poo poo? I mean even in the version of the game submitted to the judges the scoring system is stated explicitly in the voiceover and you can tell throughout the game how many points each photo got you by the number of likes you get in your "push messages." This is starting to make me seriously depressed. :smith:

I judged it. It was pretty clear how the points system worked but I ignored it and just tried to play it "legit" like Oregon Trail. Even then, I died before hitting the peak. I ain't got time to be lugging stereos up a mountain!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

I ain't got time to be lugging stereos up a mountain!

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for playing our game. Still, your post provoked this thought: If the scoring system was clear that's like saying you don't have time to score goals while playing soccer. :psyduck:

The game ends when you die so gameplay involves trying to get the highest score possible before you bite it. Straight-up summiting will not get you a particularly high score compared with hauling dumb crap. That's where complexity enters the gameplay - if you load up with all the survival gear you can carry, summiting is not that hard. But if you want to maximize your score, you'll have to make some sacrifices. (need dumb poo poo to get high score, need survival gear to make it to next opportunity to use dumb poo poo) without that component of gameplay, our game isn't particularly compelling (anyone can make a straight-up survival sim!) and that's part of why I'm trying to figure out how best to communicate the game's objective to the player.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Xibanya posted:

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for playing our game. Still, your post provoked this thought: If the scoring system was clear that's like saying you don't have time to score goals while playing soccer. :psyduck:

The game ends when you die so gameplay involves trying to get the highest score possible before you bite it. Straight-up summiting will not get you a particularly high score compared with hauling dumb crap. That's where complexity enters the gameplay - if you load up with all the survival gear you can carry, summiting is not that hard. But if you want to maximize your score, you'll have to make some sacrifices. (need dumb poo poo to get high score, need survival gear to make it to next opportunity to use dumb poo poo) without that component of gameplay, our game isn't particularly compelling (anyone can make a straight-up survival sim!) and that's part of why I'm trying to figure out how best to communicate the game's objective to the player.

Some people will never give a drat about a high score. I never find a high score to be a compelling goal personally. I'd rather summit Everest, since you know that is kind of the most obvious goal in a game where you CAN summit Everest. Also, people tend to try and avoid dying in games.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Yah I totally get that, but it sounds like you don't like people who do speed runs because they break sequences and glitch and skip content. :psyduck: I threw all of that out the window because my personal goal was reach the summit. gently caress your gameplay goals dad, I just wanna have fun.

I totally loved the game through and through and didn't think at any point, even before starting, that the point wasn't to score high and die. Also, I turned the game on and then stepped into kitchen for a minute and let the title screen music play for a bit before coming back to do my first play through. I don't want to spoil anything, but holy poo poo well done.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

Yah I totally get that, but it sounds like you don't like people who do speed runs because they break sequences and glitch and skip content. :psyduck:

Nah, your post even before edit made me feel better because I finally was able to chill and say "OK, the objective is clear." People who do speed runs are OK because they know very well what the purpose of the game is, they've just made their own gameplay objective, as you said. Part of what caused my anxiety was it looked like 90% of people playing our game (based on the twitter feed anyway) didn't even get what the intended objective was, which means there was a design flaw on our part.

If you liked the title music, give this a shot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TZtmicJpDTYlRzVjFLU1pTUGM/view?usp=sharing

Can't put it in our game since the backing track (a pitch-shifted Incalzando by enV) doesn't belong to us, but it sure is fun, isn't it?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think the issue is more that the objective to get an obscurely-determined amount of points based on a seemingly arbitrary selfie system just isn't as compelling when put against one of the single most difficult and dangerous achievements the human race has ever attempted. When the design allows you to make an honest effort against impossible odds, it's more tempting to do that than to load up with junk (most of which would be more appealing if the development cycle was longer and real textures could be implemented, instead of just question blocks [unless this is a bug and only my copy showed ? for half of the goofy items]) and die after playing with Colorforms for a bit.

Add to that the design elements that seem to challenge you to make it further (teammate death, health status effects that can be healed with rest/proper packing, etc), and everything seems to be pointing "go up the mountain" except for a few numbers and occasional voiceovers. The first voiceover, by the by, reinforces your need to advance to camp as quickly as possible.

Maybe, if you could change poses or meaningfully interact with your weird pack-ins in some way, the selfie points would become more compelling or fun. As it is, most of the fun was in seeing the options on the pack screen.

I'm sorry I played your game wrong, but I still enjoyed it!

edit: Maybe some kind of social media thermometer, or a system where more likes means more motivation, which could power you through your sunburn or dysentery. Maybe a scripted twitter feed where you actually see responses to your journey cool or improve based on your selfie game?

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

I think the issue is more that the objective to get an obscurely-determined amount of points based on a seemingly arbitrary selfie system just isn't as compelling when put against one of the single most difficult and dangerous achievements the human race has ever attempted.

I think one thing we should look at in future revisions is providing more background on what caused us, the developers, to have the attitude we did about summiting, which is actually that these days you can hire sherpas to haul your rear end up the mountain and death is mainly due to bad luck, inexperience, or some combination thereof. (All the mountain hipsters say K2 is way better -- it's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it.) I realize that we should have done more to share our opinion of the average rich jerk with no mountaineering experience's summit bid with the player.

I'm thinking also that in future revisions the player should be able to see a running total of their score so that the score seems less arbitrary (the scoring system is actually rather straightforward!)

ALFbrot posted:

When the design allows you to make an honest effort against impossible odds, it's more tempting to do that than to load up with junk (most of which would be more appealing if the development cycle was longer and real textures could be implemented, instead of just question blocks [unless this is a bug and only my copy showed ? for half of the goofy items]) and die after playing with Colorforms for a bit.

Nope, not a bug, unfortunately [details best saved for official post-mortem] meant we didn't finish as many assets as we'd planned. Very very legit criticism.

ALFbrot posted:

Add to that the design elements that seem to challenge you to make it further (teammate death, health status effects that can be healed with rest/proper packing, etc), and everything seems to be pointing "go up the mountain" except for a few numbers and occasional voiceovers. The first voiceover, by the by, reinforces your need to advance to camp as quickly as possible.

I think part of it is, for me and my other teammates, we already know the optimal gear for surviving, so at this point the challenge really is in getting the highest possible score, so from our POV, not taking the dumb poo poo is basically playing on easy mode. So I'm seeing part of the issue is that until people figure out how to survive in the first place, the high score aspect seems less compelling. My conclusion would then be, if the game is fun enough to have people return to it multiple times in order to perfect their playthroughs, then perhaps everything is good. But if it isn't fun enough to prompt multiple summit bids then maybe we should make the survival component easier. Does that seem about right?

As you may have seen, our original inspiration was Oregon Trail, which also gives you a score. I must have played through hundreds of times in Elementary school, trying to get the highest score to beat my friends and trying to figure out optimal pregame inventory selections. So part of the reason why we didn't spell everything out was that we were hoping to recapture that desire to experiment and maximize the result, but that counts on our players having the mentality of an eight-year-old at lunch time.

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe, if you could change poses or meaningfully interact with your weird pack-ins in some way, the selfie points would become more compelling or fun. As it is, most of the fun was in seeing the options on the pack screen. edit: Maybe some kind of social media thermometer, or a system where more likes means more motivation, which could power you through your sunburn or dysentery.

Both great ideas for future revisions.

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe a scripted twitter feed where you actually see responses to your journey cool or improve based on your selfie game?

Brostragram! Ahhh mann, this was a thing we had to scope out to make it in time for the jam, but we even have a Brostagram social media icon asset! Procedurally generated Brostagram feed WILL be arriving in a future revision.

ALFbrot posted:

I'm sorry I played your game wrong, but I still enjoyed it!

Thanks for the feedback, it's really good to get constructive criticism from someone outside the team, particularly since the feedback I got from the one playtester I was able to rope into service wasn't very encouraging.

(that's one of my IRL friends)

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Reading all this makes me want to go play through Everest again, I still feel like I kind of got caught off guard by Dentistry but I figured it was because I didn't pack a medkit. I still died while resting though.

Also managed to get a friend to play ChillAx and had the opportunity to watch them play through. Turns out there aren't enough things that can go wrong it seems as he didn't even see the fire until the third day when I told him to chuck a dead battery in the trash. Also for some reason the human character gets really pissed whenever they enter the bathroom and I'm not sure why.

Was there ever a playable link for Death Is Eternal? I love those Bust-a-Move games to death but I couldn't find it anywhere on the site.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xibanya posted:

As you may have seen, our original inspiration was Oregon Trail, which also gives you a score. I must have played through hundreds of times in Elementary school, trying to get the highest score to beat my friends and trying to figure out optimal pregame inventory selections. So part of the reason why we didn't spell everything out was that we were hoping to recapture that desire to experiment and maximize the result, but that counts on our players having the mentality of an eight-year-old at lunch time.

But don't you only get/record the score in Oregon Trail if you manage to complete the journey? The challenge, then, becomes to balance your resources to up the difficulty while still making it to the end in one piece. #Everest plays a little more like if Oregon Trail was scored like it was okay that you died by Independence Rock, as long as you kicked butt in the Native American dating sim mini-game.

Again, it was a really solid experience (Oregon Trail is a solid base, after all), with a lot of really cool polish and feel (loved the sound and music design, particularly when you carry on longer/reach higher and things get a little weird), I just don't think the selfie aspect feels as central as your team had hoped.

edit: Also, maybe I'm just really terrible at the game, but it feels like group death is inevitable, even when you do pack for "easy mode," which spurs you to play smarter. If I'd reached the summit with a full healthy team and then got a message like "you made it, trash is everywhere, the world yawns and doesn't care" then I might be spurred to do stranger runs to increase the response

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

But don't you only get/record the score in Oregon Trail if you manage to complete the journey? The challenge, then, becomes to balance your resources to up the difficulty while still making it to the end in one piece. #Everest plays a little more like if Oregon Trail was scored like it was okay that you died by Independence Rock, as long as you kicked butt in the Native American dating sim mini-game.

That's a good point and one where borrowing so much from a familiar game probably hurt us. My line of thought as the ~writer~ was "in the mind of the main character, what good is summiting if the world doesn't pay attention?" but you and the other folks providing helpful feedback are absolutely right, that is not what the player is going to be thinking while playing the game the way it is now. Perversely, unlike in Oregon Trail, teammate survival has no effect on score. This was by design - the main character doesn't give five shits about them except as porters for his/her stuff, as evinced by his/her lines when someone dies or is abandoned. ("Andy! He's gone...! Should I post about it now or wait until I get back?")

So now my thought is - do I make these mechanics more clear up front, change the mechanics, or leave as-is? My thought at the moment is to make the mechanics clearer up front but that might just be stubbornness. I will have to mull it all over.

quote:

Again, it was a really solid experience (Oregon Trail is a solid base, after all), with a lot of really cool polish and feel (loved the sound and music design, particularly when you carry on longer/reach higher and things get a little weird),

Thanks! Inspirations included An Video Game and Eternal Darkness. Michael is amazing as a total lunatic (his acting is alright too I guess. :v:) As far as the music goes, our composer is fuckin' amazing and actually managed to do the bulk of the music for our game while also on a road trip. /gushing.

quote:

I just don't think the selfie aspect feels as central as your team had hoped.

edit: Also, maybe I'm just really terrible at the game, but it feels like group death is inevitable, even when you do pack for "easy mode," which spurs you to play smarter.

Take five water bottles and five packs of food per person, one tent for the whole party, equip on yourself what everyone else has equipped, make sure nobody has more than 150lbs of equipment, don't travel at night or during blizzards, don't stay in photo mode for more than a few minutes, leave each landmark with full stamina, don't cut lines, and you should reach the peak with a full or near full party. More stuff would cover even more risks, like sunscreen, the med kit for small wounds, water treatment for if you run out of water, spare tent, and so on.

quote:

If I'd reached the summit with a full healthy team and then got a message like "you made it, trash is everywhere, the world yawns and doesn't care" then I might be spurred to do stranger runs to increase the response

That's not a bad idea at all.

This has all been very very helpful, (invaluable, actually) thank you and everyone else who provided feedback. I think the main way forward is to integrate the selfie gameplay component more with the rest of the gameplay (having it affect the ending you get and/or party morale) and making the competitive aspect of the game more front and center (yeah you can check your score against everyone else who has posted it but you have to seek that; the game doesn't automatically serve it to you. I learned Twitter's API specifically for this project so I don't know it too well yet but I'm pretty sure I could have the game fetch the data to construct a "leaderboard" of sorts.)

Other question: the main character's motive for doing all the stuff they do in the game comes out as you play, particularly after you hit the Death Zone and they go nuts from hypoxia and probably the emergence of preexisting psychosis. Would being more straightforward about this character's history and motives have made the game better/more clear?

fnox
May 19, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

Oh man, this one broke my brain at the beginning! It kind of reminds me of those Extreme FOV Quake videos, except as a side-scrolling shooter projected as a 2D tube... or something. Really neat gimmick. I did eventually figure out the spawning:

Hey thanks, yeah the spawning and enemies are kinda weak because I did those at almost the very last couple of hours of the jam, ideally they should move and behave according to whatever is detected from the spectrogram of the currently played music, I will actually continue the project to make something a bit more interesting, refined and unique and will make it more dynamic then.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Now that the site is all back up (and much more speedy and peppy!), I'll probably be picking winner(s) for my little personal side bounty (best game page, and best post mortem), so get those in!
I'll pick the winners, mmm.. let's say, before the gong show. Sure, that seems arbitrary!

Also, I just wrapped up my portion of the judging. This is one of my favorite jams! It seems like there were very few mediocre games - everything I played has either been really cool (pun intended!) or unabashedly unfinished.

Good job everyone! The gong show is gonna be awesome for this, look forward to it!!

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

It seems like there were very few mediocre games - everything I played has either been really cool (pun intended!) or unabashedly unfinished.

Count us in the second pile :haw: Our judging submission was super unfinished and has a game-breaking bug which makes it no good to play what little there is!

That said, new Windows + Mac builds of The Chilling Pill are up. It fixes and finishes implementing a few more things, and some of the 'hit all the yellow lights and a thing will happen' stuff is in too. Still 10 balls to start with though, since the ball loves to just shoot into the gutters at mach speed.

Short post-mortem is on there too. tl;dr: Pinball was harder than we anticipated :(

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I wrote a post-mortem for my game KIP-PL3 here where I talk about how the various aspects didn't end up coming together for my game in the ways I was hoping. I might add a bit more tonight when I get home.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When will we have a schedule for the Gong show?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Giggs posted:

I wrote a post-mortem for my game KIP-PL3 here where I talk about how the various aspects didn't end up coming together for my game in the ways I was hoping. I might add a bit more tonight when I get home.

I liked your game and enjoyed reading your post mortem, so, thanks for doing both of those things!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Little Awful Jam Gong Show Schedule

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DYM_PuaIKGPBqPHyLkgzF0JdLkZMy6IkNZvnRK7hcyI/edit?usp=sharing

Join us at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev on Friday and Saturday starting at 5pm CST

YOU posted:

BUT JON WHAT TIME IS THAT IN MY TIME ZONE!?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=5pm+CT

We will have our Discord open for those that want to voice chat together during the event: https://discord.gg/0fWXvy3afkPBeBVM

edit: Note we will be playing SUBMITTED JUDGING BUILDS. If your game was submitted broken, they will be played broken on the Gong Show. Test your games folks.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 3, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wooo I'm off on a trip this weekend but my estimate on crashes is at least once during my game and probably within two minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Mastigophoran posted:

I liked your game and enjoyed reading your post mortem, so, thanks for doing both of those things!

I really appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much.

• Locked thread