Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah it's kinda stupid to just go "I bet she made it up" without more reason than that.

Also this is a pretty depressing but instructive read

http://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

Just finished this. God drat.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

Food Babe is the worst. She was the one making a big stink over Subway bread being one molecule away from yoga mats, and famously said that chemicals aren't safe to ingest. Any chemical, ever.

The idea of taking buttery Ritz crackers and slathering them with chocolate and shortening makes me gag.

That's the thing that confuses me the most about all these health crazies. Like...the nonstop :siren: CHEMICALS!!!! :siren: bullshit.

Unless it's a pure element everything is made up of chemicals. Everything. You, your food, your car, your pants, this rock we're living on...just a bunch of chemicals.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I've tried getting people like this to define "chemicals" for me. They just say I know what they mean.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rondette posted:

Since you're assuming to know me, I shall tell you that actually, I have.

I apologize, I shouldn't have assumed. I have seen too many idiotic takes on this issue and had a hair trigger.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Unless you've been raped you have no idea what you're talking about. The idea of how victims "should" behave ruins many cases.

"So you were raped but you just went home and didn't go to the cops after being severely traumatized? HOW DO YOU WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT JUST A SLUT"

I'm really not the person to argue what makes an appropriate rape response, so I'll just say that, in conjunction with all the other drama she overshares, this was odd and probably related to her head injury and/or medication.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah it's kinda stupid to just go "I bet she made it up" without more reason than that.

Also this is a pretty depressing but instructive read

http://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

:stonk: What a story, drat.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Food Babe is the worst. She was the one making a big stink over Subway bread being one molecule away from yoga mats, and famously said that chemicals aren't safe to ingest. Any chemical, ever.

The idea of taking buttery Ritz crackers and slathering them with chocolate and shortening makes me gag.

Didn't Food Babe also share something about how microwaving water had the same effect on the molecules as whispering "evil" words to it? Words like "Satan," because that's what molecules are concerned with.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Didn't Food Babe also share something about how microwaving water had the same effect on the molecules as whispering "evil" words to it? Words like "Satan," because that's what molecules are concerned with.

Close

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

quote:

For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water.

:getin:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the thing that confuses me the most about all these health crazies. Like...the nonstop :siren: CHEMICALS!!!! :siren: bullshit.

Unless it's a pure element everything is made up of chemicals. Everything. You, your food, your car, your pants, this rock we're living on...just a bunch of chemicals.

I only consume pure carbon extracted directly from exploding stars. Get on my level.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

This goes right through stupid and out the other side.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah Roosh and Return of Kings are trying to come to my hometown, but the council are scrambling to try and stop it. Probably for their own safety, as I'm sure the usual anarchists and anti fascists will turn up and get in their faces, like whenever the EDL and other idiot mobs turn up to find themselves outnumbered.

He is coming to my town too and I really wish the Cacophony Society was a thing here just for his "event".

Also, if he doesn't want women throwing their beers in his face, perhaps he shouldn't go to bars, or talk to them, or be in the same city as them. Just saying. :smuggo:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I wish I had this level of imagination.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've done this before and I've been told "NO I MEAN CHEMICALS MADE IN A LAB ARE BAD"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've done this before and I've been told "NO I MEAN CHEMICALS MADE IN A LAB ARE BAD"

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ARTIFICIAL MSG AND THE MSG IN A TOMATO.

What is it?

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
If you mention that botox, morphine, gamma radiation, lead, arsenic, cyanide and ~phenylalanine~ (which is actually essential for human life) are all natural, sometimes something does click with people who aren't too far down the rabbit hole. I think a lot of people get the natural=good/artificial=bad dichotomy from the branding of food and overpriced dietary supplements.

e:

Vladimir Poutine has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 3, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

LOL Like they managed to 'shop the bread out, but couldn't add in some fruit or something? "La-di-da, just standing next to my empty basket!"

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Karma Monkey posted:

LOL Like they managed to 'shop the bread out, but couldn't add in some fruit or something? "La-di-da, just standing next to my empty basket!"

Shes pouring a bowl of natural, herbal detox tea. duh. :rolleyes:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ARTIFICIAL MSG AND THE MSG IN A TOMATO.

What is it?

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!

I actually had to have that conversation with somebody over synthetic vitamins. "I just know there's some difference somehow and you'll never convince me otherwise" was the response I got.

Vitamin C refers to a specific chemical arrangement of atoms. The body doesn't give a poo poo where it came from; that particular arrangement is vitamin c no matter what.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Reminds me of massage therapy school! They brought in a guest speaker once who was promoting some book about how water crystals that had positive thoughts, uh, directed at them? I guess? looked so much prettier than ones that had been exposed to negative thoughts. But they all looked pretty sweet to me, so I tried to ask her how you could tell which ones were objectively pretty and which ones weren't.

This poor dumb woman could not understand what I was asking. I rephrased the question a few different ways and other students started chiming in and trying to help me get my point across but finally she just moved on.

One of the teachers told a story about how he was giving a massage and the client's feet started glowing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Karma Monkey posted:

The joke is funnier with the empty basket.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

One of my friends who just graduated nursing school posted this gem:

I love knowing someone responsible for other people's healthcare is loving health/body retarded enough to post this.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

I love knowing someone responsible for other people's healthcare is loving health/body retarded enough to post this.

I mean the body parts thing and the "if this happens at this time it means a thing" is dumb, but honestly that is a pretty drat healthy lifestyle schedule. I would be more skeptical if I didn't know people who actually did keep themselves regimented like this. I'm kind of in awe of it. I wish I had that kind of consistency in my life but I'm not really capable of giving it to myself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

13Pandora13 posted:

My former doctor (an MD, not an OD, even!) gave me something like this.

He also wanted me to see an energy healer for my arthritis.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think you mean DO. And there are idiots in every field.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm so happy they finally expanded the four humors

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm bladder-elemental and super-effective against lungs

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm in university for nursing and we are taking a pretty difficult physiology course. I mean you can't expect to not pay attention and still pass. The tests for this course are all about applied knowledge too so you can't even just memorize the textbook to get by.
It blows my mind how some of my peers can take this course so seriously but then turn around and spout relentless woo. I suppose there are quite a few Christians in the program, so perhaps magical thinking is the norm?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/heraldsunreader/status/693588828871733249

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i posted this guy a lot in one of the last threads but stopped because i felt like there was something legit wrong with him but i can't help but memorialize the fact that he's going to task on groundhog day being real. sorry for the big images i'm blind

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That DICK! posted:

i posted this guy a lot in one of the last threads but stopped because i felt like there was something legit wrong with him but i can't help but memorialize the fact that he's going to task on groundhog day being real. sorry for the big images i'm blind

Historically, Punxsutawney Phil has only been correct 39% of the time. So you can actually reliably predict the weather by using the opposite of what he chooses!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

CaptBushido posted:

honestly that is a pretty drat healthy lifestyle schedule
Regardless of what else is in that chart, getting six hours of sleep a night is not something most people can do without adverse effects.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Regardless of what else is in that chart, getting six hours of sleep a night is not something most people can do without adverse effects.

Yeah, how would you fit in everything you need to do in a day if you slept that long.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Oh Vani Hari. It irks me how much influence people like her, along with fellow idiots David Wolfe, Zen Honeycutt, etc have on the general populace with all the bullshit they spout. And like people have said before, if you ask any anti-science person what they're actually against, they of course can't tell you. I've asked people a few times what exactly they're avoiding if they want non-GMO foods and I've never gotten an actual answer. If you go on these people's pages and try to have an actual discussion, they'll just ban you. The worst part is when companies pick up on this idiocy and say they're going non-GMO....and the stuff they sell wasn't even what would generally be considered GMO in the first place. Anyway, here's a pretty classic Food Babe quote which should demonstrate her actual understanding of science.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I should hope I wasn't breathing pure oxygen.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Scathach posted:

Posted by some jackass that I for some reason follow on Facebook. I must have been drunk when I friended him.

Lost in the rape derail but this is called the "I'd like to speak to the manager" haircut.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Jimmy Kimmel has two great videos where he asks what's "GMO" and what's "gluten" and yeah most people are loving morons.

The only good that's come from the gluten free fad is that people with legit celiac disease now have options that dont taste like crap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PhazonLink posted:

The only good that's come from the gluten free fad is that people with legit celiac disease now have options that dont taste like crap.

Sadly the flip side is servers/chefs not taking people's legitimate allergies seriously and serving them whatever. People have died from it.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

PhazonLink posted:

Jimmy Kimmel has two great videos where he asks what's "GMO" and what's "gluten" and yeah most people are loving morons.

Most people who ended up on air, you mean. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly the flip side is servers/chefs not taking people's legitimate allergies seriously and serving them whatever. People have died from it.

Crunchy moms ruin everything.