Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CCKeane posted:

The world deserves a Sanders v Trump race.

And the world deserves a Trump victory.

I'm hoping for Sanders v. Bloomberg v. Trump.

Or maybe, Trump v. Cruz v. Bloomberg v. Sanders for Election of 1800 style backroom deals.

But for real, I think/hope it will be Clinton v. Rubio. Not the most exciting election, but one that minimizes the potential for chaos and horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm hoping for Sanders v. Bloomberg v. Trump.

Or maybe, Trump v. Cruz v. Bloomberg v. Sanders for Election of 1800 style backroom deals.

But for real, I think/hope it will be Clinton v. Rubio. Not the most exciting election, but one that minimizes the potential for chaos and horror.

I thrive on chaos and horror.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
What a good torque wrench to buy?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MG2 posted:

What a good torque wrench to buy?

?

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Hahaha I figured maybe some of yall might know about a good brand of torque wrenches or something. I've never owned one, but really could use one

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

The world deserves a Sanders v Trump race.

I want to see this so bad.

I don't like Hillary, but I wonder how much of that is because of the way she speaks. Everything about her feels so "I want this so drat badly and will say or do absolutely anything to win." Every time I hear her speak it all comes across so forced and calculated that I don't think she believes what's she's saying but is just saying "the right thing".

Basically I think Hillary is scum IRL.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Asiina posted:

I don't like Hillary, but I wonder how much of that is because of the way she speaks. Everything about her feels so "I want this so drat badly and will say or do absolutely anything to win." Every time I hear her speak it all comes across so forced and calculated that I don't think she believes what's she's saying but is just saying "the right thing".

Vote for her and see how she flips.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

Hillary Clinton is hungry for the presidency.

This doesn't mean she is incompetent or that her overall governing philosophies are poor or antithetical to the general liberal leanings that we may expect a democrat to have. She's fine.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Hillary Clinton is hungry for the presidency.

This doesn't mean she is incompetent or that her overall governing philosophies are poor or antithetical to the general liberal leanings that we may expect a democrat to have. She's fine.

I don't think it makes her incompetent, but it does give me concern about how true she would be to liberal ideals since I don't really believe what she says.

I mean my opinion doesn't hold too much weight since I'm not voting in your election, but unfortunately who your president is kinda matters to everyone.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i heard she deletes emails

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I don't think it makes her incompetent, but it does give me concern about how true she would be to liberal ideals since I don't really believe what she says.

I mean my opinion doesn't hold too much weight since I'm not voting in your election, but unfortunately who your president is kinda matters to everyone.

She would be a horse trader as all pragmatic politicians are. She will throw unpopular things under the bus in order to advocate and work on fighting winnable fights.

Everybody wants a big firecracker to come in and raise hell and kick rear end, but those are rare and require very, very specific circumstances and skills. Someone able to pick and win fights is good enough.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Asiina posted:

IAWTP

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I agree with kecco.

also guys guys last night's x-files was a very fun hour of television, and I love that I can say "last night's x-files was a very fun hour of television" in tyool 2016. life is wonderful, I am glad to be alive for it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that kecco's avatar is left-aligned while ecco's is centered

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

I just noticed that kecco's avatar is left-aligned while ecco's is centered

Of course.

I'm the true leftist of the two of us, Ecco breaks for the center as often as possible.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

I agree with kecco.

also guys guys last night's x-files was a very fun hour of television, and I love that I can say "last night's x-files was a very fun hour of television" in tyool 2016. life is wonderful, I am glad to be alive for it.

It was great.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think compromise is necessary, but if you don't have strong ideals that you can anchor yourself to, it's very easy to shift a little, then a little more, then a little more, and end up so far from where you started it's difficult to even see how what you're doing now connects to those beliefs.

That's why you want someone who believes fervently in what they are saying, not because you think they'll be able to accomplish all of those goals but because they'll hold onto them and constantly fight to keep them a part of the conversation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hear Hilary doesn't even read her role PMs :colbert:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
She reads it but then forwards it privately to everyone else in the game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLRW44XgeQ

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I think compromise is necessary, but if you don't have strong ideals that you can anchor yourself to, it's very easy to shift a little, then a little more, then a little more, and end up so far from where you started it's difficult to even see how what you're doing now connects to those beliefs.

That's why you want someone who believes fervently in what they are saying, not because you think they'll be able to accomplish all of those goals but because they'll hold onto them and constantly fight to keep them a part of the conversation.

Pragmatism doesn't mean the absence of strongly held beliefs, it means adopting an outcome focused approach.

If you buy the rhetoric that Clinton has no ideals other than her own power, you're buying into drat near 30 years of attacks on her.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Pragmatism doesn't mean the absence of strongly held beliefs, it means adopting an outcome focused approach.

If you buy the rhetoric that Clinton has no ideals other than her own power, you're buying into drat near 30 years of attacks on her.

I actually have no ideas what the attacks against her are, I don't follow your politics that closely.

I'm going by the intuition I get when I hear her speak, which is that she does not sound sincere, and is instead just trying to say what seems like thing that will make the most people like/agree with her.

As I said, this could be an artifact of her not being a great public speaker or at least a natural sounding one, I don't know, but that's how she comes across to me.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'll also point out that you need to compare Clinton to other politicians that have been around for so long (Sanders is one, and Sanders has displayed idealism and principles as well as competence in navigating compromises, but he is generally an exception). It's very easy to express a controversial opinion when expressing it doesn't mean risking your job to somebody who would hope to dismantle much of what you have built.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I actually have no ideas what the attacks against her are, I don't follow your politics that closely.

I'm going by the intuition I get when I hear her speak, which is that she does not sound sincere, and is instead just trying to say what seems like thing that will make the most people like/agree with her.

As I said, this could be an artifact of her not being a great public speaker or at least a natural sounding one, I don't know, but that's how she comes across to me.

Yes, she is a weird robot person who is bad at not sounding like a big weirdo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hear Hilary fakeclaims vigs

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Hilary mains teemo

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Hilary mains teemo

She has my vote.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Bernie is the man cause he's a man.

There I said it.

Did you know that over the course of European history ruling queens waged more war than ruling kings. Makes ya think

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

tbh I'm probably not going to vote but I'm about to leave work and I'll go to the secretary of state and (re?)-register today since I registered last presidential election but would've had to take a bus home for an hour each way to vote and that's effort.

Edit: Apparently I'm still registered, woo!

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Ixtlilton posted:

tbh I'm probably not going to vote but I'm about to leave work and I'll go to the secretary of state and (re?)-register today since I registered last presidential election but would've had to take a bus home for an hour each way to vote and that's effort.

Edit: Apparently I'm still registered, woo!

You might be able to change your polling place to one closer to you

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Well 4 years ago I was still in college and now I've moved back to my home town and work at the university here so it's more of a 10 minute drive rather than major inconvenience. There's a solid chance I'll vote actually now that I think about it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you don't vote you don't get to complain!

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

But then I'd have to vote in gubernatorial elections because we have Rick Snyder.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you don't vote you are basically Hitler.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you don't vote the terrorists win.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Asiina posted:

If you don't vote you don't get to complain!

It's the opposite. You get to blame everyone who did vote for all the problems. They're the one who put them in office

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcngdW2Ju4

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Asiina posted:

If you don't vote the terrorists win.

Well I have gotten significantly better at T side in the last 5-6 months.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you don't vote, I will think less of you as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If you don't vote you get fined because voting is mandatory!