Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brock Landers posted:

Heresy. The 1M was a gift from the BMW Gods. Forged from steel mined in the Schwarzwald by the finest craftsmen. Adorned with the correct number of tri-color badges and shorn with tires blessed by Odin.

Yeah, it's really cool and I want one, but it only has 15 HP more than the base model. I really want it because of the fender flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it's really cool and I want one, but it only has 15 HP more than the base model. I really want it because of the fender flares.

I was being sarcastic but it is a nice car in its own way. I don't know if it's worth the hype it gets. Then again, I said the same thing about the Clownshoe...

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I'll cross post this from the ride thread.

I think the 2016 F80 sounds just dandy.

http://youtu.be/IR3r_MGLG8M

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

If only I wasn't stuck with the TDI until dieselgate blows over, I'd be trying my hardest to pick this up:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5418724071.html

Not that I think it's worth 9k, but it's really clean and well optioned.

Not that you think it is worth $9k??? Why not? What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

The BMW thread: where poor fucks bitch about used car prices.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

PenisMonkey posted:

I'll cross post this from the ride thread.

I think the 2016 F80 sounds just dandy.

http://youtu.be/IR3r_MGLG8M

I'd classify that as "fine" or maybe "slightly unpleasant" but the problem here is the F80's two predecessors are known for their amazing induction and exhaust noises.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gigButt posted:

Not that you think it is worth $9k??? Why not? What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

great post and thank you for your contribution to the thread, forums user gigButt

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

gigButt posted:

Aside from the color combo (which is subjective anyway) it's not really remarkable.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Eh, thanks to wagon trend e46 tourings with sport package and non black/silver colours can go for decent money. He might have to wait but I could honestly see it selling for 8k. I think it's dumb to pay that much for a non-M e46 though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Eh, thanks to wagon trend e46 tourings with sport package and non black/silver colours can go for decent money. He might have to wait but I could honestly see it selling for 8k. I think it's dumb to pay that much for a non-M e46 though.

Even automatics? To each their own.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hah, I assumed a it was a manual. That immediately makes it a stupid price.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BMW thread: do I buy a wrecked E92 M3 and V8 swap my Z4M, build an LSx and V8 swap my Z4M, or sell my Z4M and V8 swap something else instead (Miata, etc)?

I want a shortish wheelbase, preferably tintop track weapon. But I want that beautiful V8 sound too. I don't want to destroy a rare car, but I want a forever car that ticks all my boxes. I'm so confused. Help me, BMW thread. You're my only hope.

Because the fourth option is to sell the Z4M and buy a 60's Alfa.

Oh god. :question:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sofullofhate posted:

BMW thread: do I buy a wrecked E92 M3 and V8 swap my Z4M, build an LSx and V8 swap my Z4M, or sell my Z4M and V8 swap something else instead (Miata, etc)?

I want a shortish wheelbase, preferably tintop track weapon. But I want that beautiful V8 sound too. I don't want to destroy a rare car, but I want a forever car that ticks all my boxes. I'm so confused. Help me, BMW thread. You're my only hope.

WHAT DO YOU THINK AI WOULD SAY.
:stare: Do it and make a thread.

Holy poo poo that would be amazing

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pre-subscribed

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well the only answer is putting an S65 into a Z4M, really.

e: reminder here's what it sounds like. http://picosong.com/85gU/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ether Frenzy posted:

Shorter wheelbase, shorter exhaust.
It will sound Brūtal.

(what you gonna do with the engine already in the z4?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 1, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

sofullofhate posted:

buy a wrecked E92 M3 and V8 swap my Z4M

You have no other options, really.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Brock Landers posted:

Pre-subscribed

Ether Frenzy posted:

Shorter wheelbase, shorter exhaust.
It will sound Brūtal.

(what you gonna do with the engine already in the z4?

Bajaha posted:

You have no other options, really.

Yeah, I kind of feel that way. I probably wouldn't have posted the question in this thread unless I really wanted to go through door A. Thanks for posting that auditory reminder of why I want to do this (PS the Z4M weighs ~600lbs less than the lightest E9x M3 - oh poo poo).

Looks like long blocks are ~$8k, while wrecked cars are ~$20-$30k. I'll have to look into how much I could part out the rest of a wreck for, but I'm afraid that this is actually going to turn into a project for me. God dammit. I really wanted to spend some time on the track this year.

PS anybody want to buy a low-mile, recently valve serviced S54 (~43k miles) with 6mt for a swap? We can talk about ECU / DMS, since I would probably need to swap those across from the donor... :ughh:

Oh yeah, and then I need to sort out how this works with Washington state emissions. Probably if the car identifies itself as a ~2010 M3 and throws no emissions codes, all will be well. Right?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

Oh yeah, and then I need to sort out how this works with Washington state emissions. Probably if the car identifies itself as a ~2010 M3 and throws no emissions codes, all will be well. Right?

As long as they don't do "look under the hood" parts checks like CARB does, that's probably true. Only other wrinkle might be making sure the ODBII info lines up with what their computers expect.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been looking for a fun car for a while and just realized how cheap the 135i is now. Did the N55 fix enough of the N54's problems to limit my search to 2011+ cars? They're obviously more money, but I've seen plenty with low enough miles for <$25k. I know about some of the repair issues, but I was originally looking at 996TT's before I changed some life plans, so those aren't a huge concern unless I'm going to be dropping a bunch of money to replace blown turbos or something.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

sofullofhate posted:

I'm gonna be the odd man out, but don't build a nice track car unless your are completely ok with walking away from a wreck. Or can get agreed value insurance for every track day.

I actually wish I had bought an NA/NB miata over my m3. Everything for that chassis is so god drat cheap in comparison, and there are lots of ways to make stupid power if you want.

But I still vote s65.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Crustashio posted:

I'm gonna be the odd man out, but don't build a nice track car unless your are completely ok with walking away from a wreck. Or can get agreed value insurance for every track day.

I actually wish I had bought an NA/NB miata over my m3. Everything for that chassis is so god drat cheap in comparison, and there are lots of ways to make stupid power if you want.

But I still vote s65.

At the very least, make sure you have special track insurance at an agreed value (and get it appraised). My last track car had as much in mods as the car cost, nevermind the hundreds of hours of labor, and it was all smashed to bits in a moment.

Also, do this project. Best idea ever.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

sofullofhate posted:

Yeah, I kind of feel that way. I probably wouldn't have posted the question in this thread unless I really wanted to go through door A. Thanks for posting that auditory reminder of why I want to do this (PS the Z4M weighs ~600lbs less than the lightest E9x M3 - oh poo poo).

Looks like long blocks are ~$8k, while wrecked cars are ~$20-$30k. I'll have to look into how much I could part out the rest of a wreck for, but I'm afraid that this is actually going to turn into a project for me. God dammit. I really wanted to spend some time on the track this year.

PS anybody want to buy a low-mile, recently valve serviced S54 (~43k miles) with 6mt for a swap? We can talk about ECU / DMS, since I would probably need to swap those across from the donor... :ughh:

Do you have any mods on it that you wouldn't be carrying over? Only thing my car has is an exhaust.

That said, you know you can fit an S85 in there, right? Also, what Crustachio said.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Do you have any mods on it that you wouldn't be carrying over? Only thing my car has is an exhaust.

That said, you know you can fit an S85 in there, right? Also, what Crustachio said.

No mods aside from an M3 intake conversion with a cone filter (because of the noise).

I painfully feel Crustachio's point. This is why option C is "buy a [Miata|Datsun 510|240Z] and throw box flares, and roll cage, and an Audi V8 in it" or something equally ludicrous - I could easily sell the M and finance such a project, and probably wouldn't cry too much if I wadded it. The M, on the other hand, will be like another $30k and two years' work. And yeah, it would be the most amazing M Coupe ever, but I would cry - a lot - if I wadded it. So realistically I would probably build the Z4M+, take it to a single track day, have a moment where I'm looking out the passenger window at a rapidly approaching wall (or wall-track-grass-track-wall-track-grass...), drive it home, and then start building a track car.

Maybe that's not so bad. :xd:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

No mods aside from an M3 intake conversion with a cone filter (because of the noise).

I painfully feel Crustachio's point. This is why option C is "buy a [Miata|Datsun 510|240Z] and throw box flares, and roll cage, and an Audi V8 in it" or something equally ludicrous - I could easily sell the M and finance such a project, and probably wouldn't cry too much if I wadded it. The M, on the other hand, will be like another $30k and two years' work. And yeah, it would be the most amazing M Coupe ever, but I would cry - a lot - if I wadded it. So realistically I would probably build the Z4M+, take it to a single track day, have a moment where I'm looking out the passenger window at a rapidly approaching wall (or wall-track-grass-track-wall-track-grass...), drive it home, and then start building a track car.

Maybe that's not so bad. :xd:

That's something I struggle with when contemplating my next track/fun car. I had so much fun building up my Elise to be a 275whp screamer and I want to do it again but I'm not crazy about putting that much money at risk on the track. All it takes is one careless owner to leave a pool of fluid on the track.

I will be limited to one impractical car so I'm having a hard time finding a good balance between cheap track car that I don't mind wrecking and something I'm passionate about. Those two ideas conflict in a big way.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's something I struggle with when contemplating my next track/fun car. I had so much fun building up my Elise to be a 275whp screamer and I want to do it again but I'm not crazy about putting that much money at risk on the track. All it takes is one careless owner to leave a pool of fluid on the track.

I will be limited to one impractical car so I'm having a hard time finding a good balance between cheap track car that I don't mind wrecking and something I'm passionate about. Those two ideas conflict in a big way.

After I did the Skip Barber open-wheel 3-day race school in the fall, I told myself that I was going to buy a Formula Ford or something for track use. Because oh my god, open-wheeled cars are the absolute best thing in the entire loving universe at the track - the most engaging driving experience ever, etc. etc. - and they're typically pretty inexpensive, so you can crash them and fix them and feel like they're doing what they were born for.

But then it's a dedicated track car, and do I keep the Z, and if not what do I do on the street (you know, aside from motorcycling)? Oh, and hey, you can't run them at basically any open track day ever. Test and tune sessions only. gently caress.

I feel like a blown mid-90's Civic or a box-fendered, Supra-turbo-6ed Miata is the right answer for that price+custom+grins+gently caress-it-if-I-break-it place.

But damned if I don't love the idea of an S65-swapped Z4MC.

In the meantime, while I make up my mind and search for a 2008-2014 M3 wrecked in just the right way I'm now starting a parts list for turbocharging my Monster. Because I hate my wallet, sanity, and unburned inner thighs, I guess.

PS I would love to see photos of your 275HP Elise. That's still a life list car for me.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I've heard cooling on FI S54 engines is a big concern if it's going to be tracked. Probably a lot cheaper than a swap though. But you don't need to buy a whole M3 for the engine... http://goo.gl/keebM1 Do it! Be different and awesome!

Imgur is being difficult but some of my old pictures are in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683998

If I ever do forced induction on a track car there's no doubt in my mind it will be supercharged though. That dyno plot made me so happy and it was such a joy to drive hard. No surprises anywhere in that powerband.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the S2000 is on my list of cheap track cars. I think competing in something like NASA TTC could be fun and possibly keep me from spending too much. I'd really like to field an e46 M3 in TTB but I'm planning on an e90 M3 as a daily and I'd rather not have two M3s. There's too much good stuff out there.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 2, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I've heard cooling on FI S54 engines is a big concern if it's going to be tracked. Probably a lot cheaper than a swap though. But you don't need to buy a whole M3 for the engine... http://goo.gl/keebM1 Do it! Be different and awesome!

Imgur is being difficult but some of my old pictures are in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683998

If I ever do forced induction on a track car there's no doubt in my mind it will be supercharged though. That dyno plot made me so happy and it was such a joy to drive hard. No surprises anywhere in that powerband.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the S2000 is on my list of cheap track cars. I think competing in something like NASA TTC could be fun and possibly keep me from spending too much. I'd really like to field an e46 M3 in TTB but I'm planning on an e90 M3 as a daily and I'd rather not have two M3s. There's too much good stuff out there.

$12k for a motor with accessories is insane, given how many other bits I'd need to make it work (DMS, ECU, loom) and some of the bits I'd want (diff, to handle the extra power; brakes; wheels). I seriously think it'd be cheaper to buy a badly-hit-in-back wreck and try to make up some of the cost in selling bits I don't want (interior, etc).

It's dumb how quickly this would get expensive. And awesome.

And, poo poo :( I'm sorry about your Elise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sofullofhate posted:

buy a Formula Ford or something for track use... Oh, and hey, you can't run them at basically any open track day ever. Test and tune sessions only. gently caress.
This right here is literally the only reason I don't own a dedicated open wheel race car yet. If I could run one at regular track days or with WRL/Chump (not that I would) there would be one parked in the garage.

On the Z4M swap it would be fun and an amazing car but as you said it would be expensive and would suck to wad it up. Miata/S2K or even an E30 with a V8 would be a cheap, fun and disposable track toy and is the direction I would go. You can pick up S50 swapped and prepped track cars for ~10k pretty easily then sell the S50 for a couple grand and toss in whatever monster engine you want.

Dad and I are still shopping for our dedicated E30 M3 track toy to run alongside the basically stock WRL/Chump E30 vert. Almost bought one last week then PPI discovered the recently rebuilt engine failed leakdown terribly :argh:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The Z4M is kind of frustrating, because it doesn't have a lot of potential to add power. Most of the cars end up with ESS Supercharger kits, as that is BY FAR (BY FAR!!) the most cost effective way to add a significant amount of power without spending a lot of money doing custom stuff. But then plenty of those guys end up parting out their supercharger, selling the car, and getting something either more powerful like some flavor of 911, or something with a lot more room for mods.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The Z4M is kind of frustrating, because it doesn't have a lot of potential to add power. Most of the cars end up with ESS Supercharger kits, as that is BY FAR (BY FAR!!) the most cost effective way to add a significant amount of power without spending a lot of money doing custom stuff. But then plenty of those guys end up parting out their supercharger, selling the car, and getting something either more powerful like some flavor of 911, or something with a lot more room for mods.

Yup, that's basically where I am right now, but I'm skipping the ESS kit because I know that it will not achieve what I want and I will be disappointed.

Meanwhile I've got my finger over the "order" button for a GT1241. Maybe building the turbo Monster will keep me distracted for long enough that I'll figure out what to do about the Z4MC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I've been looking for a fun car for a while and just realized how cheap the 135i is now. Did the N55 fix enough of the N54's problems to limit my search to 2011+ cars? They're obviously more money, but I've seen plenty with low enough miles for <$25k. I know about some of the repair issues, but I was originally looking at 996TT's before I changed some life plans, so those aren't a huge concern unless I'm going to be dropping a bunch of money to replace blown turbos or something.

Anyone have anything for me on this? I'm trying to do some research, but a lot of the info seems to be several years old. The N54 is/was much better for tuning at the cost of general reliability? A 2010 seems to be the best bet? The N55 seems to have less tuning options available, maybe, and also doesn't respond quite as well to mods? A 2011 seems to be the best bet here? I've got a friend that's big into BMW's but I haven't had a chance to pick his brain at all.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

This right here is literally the only reason I don't own a dedicated open wheel race car yet. If I could run one at regular track days or with WRL/Chump (not that I would) there would be one parked in the garage.

On the Z4M swap it would be fun and an amazing car but as you said it would be expensive and would suck to wad it up. Miata/S2K or even an E30 with a V8 would be a cheap, fun and disposable track toy and is the direction I would go. You can pick up S50 swapped and prepped track cars for ~10k pretty easily then sell the S50 for a couple grand and toss in whatever monster engine you want.

Dad and I are still shopping for our dedicated E30 M3 track toy to run alongside the basically stock WRL/Chump E30 vert. Almost bought one last week then PPI discovered the recently rebuilt engine failed leakdown terribly :argh:

What's the logic behind not letting people bring open wheel cars?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fknlo posted:

Anyone have anything for me on this? I'm trying to do some research, but a lot of the info seems to be several years old. The N54 is/was much better for tuning at the cost of general reliability? A 2010 seems to be the best bet? The N55 seems to have less tuning options available, maybe, and also doesn't respond quite as well to mods? A 2011 seems to be the best bet here? I've got a friend that's big into BMW's but I haven't had a chance to pick his brain at all.

If you're way big into mods then get the newest possible n54 equipped model.
If you like your money not suddenly disappearing at a random whim get the N55.
They both perform exactly the same at stock, even have almost the same torque curve, and the gains for an N55 are quite similar unless you want to go beyond 400hp, at which point you'd have to start actually changing out engine parts, even for the n54, rather than throwing on some bolt-ons.

But all that is trumped by subjectivity, get into the cars and if you like one over the other then get it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Saga posted:

What's the logic behind not letting people bring open wheel cars?

Safety. Open wheel cars are generally much smaller and do everything faster than regular cars. The discrepancy in braking, acceleration and apex speed in a car that can be hard to see puts the guy in the open wheel car in a dangerous spot. There's also the fact that without fenders and body panels to absorb and deflect damage any contact on an open wheel car is going to be messy.

Tried to find a better picture to illustrate but formula cars are loving tiny. The whole car including the drivers head are below the window line

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Safety. Open wheel cars are generally much smaller and do everything faster than regular cars. The discrepancy in braking, acceleration and apex speed in a car that can be hard to see puts the guy in the open wheel car in a dangerous spot. There's also the fact that without fenders and body panels to absorb and deflect damage any contact on an open wheel car is going to be messy.

Tried to find a better picture to illustrate but formula cars are loving tiny. The whole car including the drivers head are below the window line

The other aspect is that open-wheeled cars throw a lot of poo poo into the air behind them, which could damage street cars in ways that would make their drivers think twice about coming back to that organizer's track days (think broken windshields and badly marred paint / headlights). Since there are far fewer people with open-wheeled cars who want unstructured time on the track than people who own street cars and want the same, there is a lot of financial pressure on already cash-strapped tracks / organizers to host events that appeal to the masses (ex. SCCA Track Night in America, which is fantastic bang for the buck, and attracted everything from a near-as-drat-full-race Evo VII to a Smart ForTwo at the last one I attended).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Ah, I see. I had my Seven replica on track with all sorts of cars (in the UK) and there were no complaints, but maybe the flimsy mudguards make all the difference.

Following an M5 in a seven is hilarious though. You're basically looking at the exhaust plumbing looming above you, also it rolls like a overloaded trawler in a gale.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Im curious where they pick up the rear engined/rear wheel drive transmissions. The only few mass production rear wheel/rear engined cars are the Corvair, VW bug, and that goofy TH425

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im curious where they pick up the rear engined/rear wheel drive transmissions. The only few mass production rear wheel/rear engined cars are the Corvair, VW bug, and that goofy TH425

For single seaters you mean? The ones I've driven had a bag of nails quality (i.e. abused and never rebuilt!) Hewland 4 or 5 speed. Look up LD200 or the classic Hewlands which I think were actually built using VW bug housings.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

If you're way big into mods then get the newest possible n54 equipped model.
If you like your money not suddenly disappearing at a random whim get the N55.
They both perform exactly the same at stock, even have almost the same torque curve, and the gains for an N55 are quite similar unless you want to go beyond 400hp, at which point you'd have to start actually changing out engine parts, even for the n54, rather than throwing on some bolt-ons.

But all that is trumped by subjectivity, get into the cars and if you like one over the other then get it.

From reading E90 boards, this sounds pretty spot on to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the three best things you could do to the car are a new suspension, an LSD and a short shifter.