Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm assuming that to Albom, $950K is not very much or something, because that's a random comment. But he's also a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm assuming that to Albom, $950K is not very much or something, because that's a random comment. But he's also a jackass.

He's saying it was $950k because, for the payee, a $950k settlement sounds a lot less dramatic than a million dollar settlement.

But gently caress him though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If memory serves, $950k was the total settlement and like 75% of that went to the lawyers.

E: also gently caress mitch albom

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Andrew Sharp has joined SI.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

It's interesting that Simmons is only bringing the media people over. Maybe his project will be more entertainment centric.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

DJExile posted:

If memory serves, $950k was the total settlement and like 75% of that went to the lawyers.

The "75% went to the lawyers" thing is a line from the president of FSU that the lawyers said is not true.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

leokitty posted:

The "75% went to the lawyers" thing is a line from the president of FSU that the lawyers said is not true.

whoops :downs:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

straight up brolic posted:

It's interesting that Simmons is only bringing the media people over. Maybe his project will be more entertainment centric.

I'm not sure what "maybe" means, it's been transparent since he signed with HBO that his project will be entertainment-centric. He's been pretty much over sports for years now, he wants to be a pop culture icon. Trouble is that most of his loyal followers want sports, so he still has to do a couple sports-centric podcasts a week to keep them coming. And even those are mostly just him shooting the poo poo with his friends for an hour (though today's Thibodeau pod was actually pretty great.)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't think he is over sports, I think he is done with writing and websites.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'd be very surprised if Simmons himself moved into something other than sports, that's been his bread and butter forever; just about every podcast he's done since coming back has either been sports focused or has talked about sports. Like Hand Row said, he's probably just about done with writing articles and such, plus those were very lovely most of the time anyway. I think what he's gunning for is his own 'Bill Simmons' entertainment network, basically Grantland but without an ESPN to pull the rug out from under him or give him limits on what he can and can't talk about (Roger Goodell).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Is he even doing anything based around writing? It seems like it's mostly a podcast network (where he does the sports centered one and other people handle the pop culture stuff) and then whatever the show for HBO will be

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, there's supposed to be a site. That's harder to develop than a podcast.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I saw an article a few days ago that mentioned he'd recently registered a sports-named-related domain, I'll see if I can find it. My guess is his site will be Grantland 2.0, with his podcast network expanding, and then he'll have his HBO show for hot takes and whatnot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Simmons has too much invested in his belief that he knows basketball to completely give up sports coverage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Is he even doing anything based around writing? It seems like it's mostly a podcast network (where he does the sports centered one and other people handle the pop culture stuff) and then whatever the show for HBO will be

Surely he didn't hire all these editors just to do podcasts.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I doubt that Bill Simmons will be personally writing much of anything given that his output over the last 5 years is 90% mailbags but who cares nobody wants to read about what Cheezer and Toot-Toot did in college (watch pro wrestling) when we could hear it from them via podcast.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The founder of Barstool Sports showed up at Twitter HQ and demanded to be verified. It didn't work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The founder of Barstool Sports showed up at Twitter HQ and demanded to be verified. It didn't work.

hahahahaha that rules

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Luigi Thirty posted:

Verified on Twitter or verified as a valid human being because he seems to be desperately seeking both those things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't he try to fight with Jon Bois once and got shut down because of that checkmark?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe that's what Lowtax needs to do

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't he try to fight with Jon Bois once and got shut down because of that checkmark?

I would like to read more about this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I would like to read more about this

same

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Work Friend Keven posted:

I doubt that Bill Simmons will be personally writing much of anything given that his output over the last 5 years is 90% mailbags but who cares nobody wants to read about what Cheezer and Toot-Toot did in college (watch pro wrestling) when we could hear it from them via podcast.
I still enjoyed reading his weekly football picks column, no matter how terrible he was at it. This season felt weird without them on Fridays.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sadly I can't find anything about it other than some other times Bois has ripped them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh hey the super bowl is coming up again, here come the 500 different stories talking about how every football is hand-made at the Wilson factory in Ada, Ohio.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ada is the worst excuse for a town I've ever seen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ada is the worst excuse for a town I've ever seen.

You could say this about everything between Findlay and Delaware, really.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ever since he moved to HBO Simmons wont stop talking about jerking off and how horny he is and you know what, I like it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Simmons' strength was putting things into language that people could understand, which was fine/great when he was talking about things on a national scale that he really liked. You don't write 600 pages on the NBA without giving more than a poo poo about it. I also liked his trade value stuff, if only because it served as a jumpoff for smarter people to run with the idea.

His weakness is that he'll gleefully miss the forest for the trees when one of his biases are involved. He also didn't adapt his writing persona once he became a big time national figure, trying to remain the "voice of the common fan" while having insider connections.

I'm curious if he'll write again; the days of a weekly column are long gone but if he sticks with his big picture pieces once a season or so. I don't listen to his podcast because I can't stand his voice so I can't speak to the quality of that.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mistermojo posted:

Ever since he moved to HBO Simmons wont stop talking about jerking off and how horny he is and you know what, I like it

I wonder how many other people attracted to women will agree with his views on Adele

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like his podcasts with Cousin Sal. I don't like them with House. Big Al gave me a stat that says the Panthers are 7-2 when their backup QB has a bowel movement prior to 7am on gameday in the Pacific time zone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I like the Cousin Sal podcasts too, mostly because Sal is awesome.

I doubt Simmons will ever write again. A book sometime in the future maybe, but probably not any internet columns.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Vertical Lime posted:

I wonder how many other people attracted to women will agree with his views on Adele

can you elaborate on that, because I cant stand his voice either

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

can you elaborate on that, because I cant stand his voice either

he discussed that he discovered he was attracted to adele in the same tone that one of those 2001 a space odyssey monkeys would use to describe that he saw this cool-looking monolith over there

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

oh hey the super bowl is coming up again, here come the 500 different stories talking about how every football is hand-made at the Wilson factory in Ada, Ohio.

there is no lazier sports story than "March Madness costs workplaces a million billion dollars in lost productivity"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

R.D. Mangles posted:

he discussed that he discovered he was attracted to adele in the same tone that one of those 2001 a space odyssey monkeys would use to describe that he saw this cool-looking monolith over there

Shrieking while pounding his bone

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

I mean, that's kind of a watershed moment for any man, like a Saul on the Damascus road type thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Glazer gets down to the real issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sally Jenkins on Cam Newton is not good writing