Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Baller Time posted:

I actually tried this again about 3 weeks ago. I lasted 30 minutes. Saw no other people. I just wanted to dig some ore and build some stuff, but there seems to have been some item/tool revamp and I didn't have my super amazing high end stuff anymore. There was a tutorial, and the game wanted me to place a claim and a prefab house. Placing the house didn't remove anything that already occupied the space, so half of the ground floor and the doors where filled with dirt. I tried to remove the dirt, but my build tools where too basic to do it without also removing chucks of the house floor. Also the game ran worse than I remembered.

That's another thing I found offputing about the game, level requirements and grinding for basic tools, it's like they saw the wooden tools on minecraft and thought let's take that but make the stone tools unlock after a week long grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Jimbot posted:

A couple exist already. They're pretty good!

I actually just re-purchased these from my local used game shop. They're really not bad at all. It's just a Diablo-style game with an EQ skin, and if you played those Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games, then you'll love them (just a re-worked engine).

When they had the player/community base, SOE/Daybreak should have encouraged players to generate new content alongside contests to re-create old content. Don't do things like "Build us cool Ogre houses!" Instead, do things "Re-create Oggok from EQ1 down to the smallest detail." Seems like they knew all along how profitable EQ nostalgia was (the TLE servers gave 1 and 2 a second life) but never bothered to incorporate it into Next's grand vision.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

joshtothemaxx posted:

Do you actually log in? Are there actually still people there?

I'm still so mad at how poorly designed and planning the Landmark rollout was. I have genuine empathy for those poor SOE/Daybreak people doing those Twitch streams a while back. They seemed to genuinely care on some level.

I log in once every two/three weeks to refresh my plot. Definitely a ghost town, but I'd say half the people who placed their plots since the last wipe still have those plots, so there's quite a few doing the minimum to keep their plots alive.

Developers are pretty much incommunicado at this point, save for the live stream, and even they seem to be giving bad info now. Supposedly a patch this month, but so far no sign of it, not even a notice of delay.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Daybreak runs their community based on what Genghis Khan would do... Like, I'm being completely serious here:

https://twitter.com/RadarX/status/690215345047625729

Although with regards to Landmark they probably forgot about this Genghis Khan quote:

Genghis Khan posted:

“There is no value in anything until it is finished.”

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Genghis Khan would be an internet troll. He would basically be starfleet dental on a bigger scale.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

"SOE/Daybreak! What is best in life?"

"To hype up your Everquest fans -- See them drive up pre-order sales before you go broke, and to hear the lamentation of their wallets!"

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The Founders Pack, or whatever I paid for, was definitely worth the price of admission to watch the implosion of this game over the past few years. I got my hopes up at the time, went through a process of mourning, and now I'm just sitting back and laughing at the flames.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did the same but paid nothing

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Yup. :soe:

Kind of disappointing they managed to ruin it though since Minecraft+ would've been cool; has anything really even been said about EQN since Daybreak took over? Is it still a game theoretically coming sometime?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everquest Next is vaporware, right?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I said come in! posted:

Everquest Next is vaporware, right?

At this point and once Smedley was shitcanned, I'm gonna say yes. We haven't seen anything at all since the combat demo (that fight scene in Feerott) and some demos on that AI quest system. I'm 99.9% sure Daybreak broke with that AI team, and the combat they added to Landmark is laughable (and probably meant to make Landmark a "fuller" game and so people will forget about Next).

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Damnit why did they have to overcomplicate things, just remake EQ1 basically verbatim with a modern engine and call it a day wtf.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Relayer posted:

Damnit why did they have to overcomplicate things, just remake EQ1 basically verbatim with a modern engine and call it a day wtf.

No poo poo. Give me original EQ with good graphics, a quest journal, and a group/dungeon finder and I'm set dawg.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Somehow the thought that the mmo bragging about how every mob would influence the mating patterns of their species as a whole not ever coming out is not surprising.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

randombattle posted:

Somehow the thought that the mmo bragging about how every mob would influence the mating patterns of their species as a whole not ever coming out is not surprising.

but enough about star citizen

deltaloko
Feb 2, 2016

joshtothemaxx posted:

At this point and once Smedley was shitcanned, I'm gonna say yes. We haven't seen anything at all since the combat demo (that fight scene in Feerott) and some demos on that AI quest system. I'm 99.9% sure Daybreak broke with that AI team, and the combat they added to Landmark is laughable (and probably meant to make Landmark a "fuller" game and so people will forget about Next).

Storybricks, the company that made the AI system they hyped so much, no longer exists. They basically ran out of money and shut down in May of 2015.

https://medium.com/@rodolfor/storybricks-is-no-more-f26b0980e62e#.yav067a3r This link has a pretty good breakdown of where things went wrong.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm sorry this game died.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

temple posted:

How can something that never lived die?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just read some article talking about the top 10 mmorpgs coming out soon and EQ Next was on the list.

Therefore EQ Next is real and will be the best game ever.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I just checked the EQN site and the last update box thingie was 118 days ago. It was about Landmark.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Ugh god thinking about that video with that georgeson guy talking about "keeshar" the vahshir and how you can "rough and tumble" around the world of EQ:N simultaneously makes me laugh and cringe and cry now. He got shitcanned after the Daybreak transition right? Sigh.. godspeed you doughy nerd.

Like I seriously wonder how much of a game they EVER had in a playable state, whether pre or post development re-boot. Is there any other genre of game where so much development money is so frequently flushed down the shitter with nothing to show for it than MMO's?

Relayer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That cat from the demo video was bad as hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

temple posted:

Honestly it's fine, Everquest 1 & 2 are still really good MMOs. There's no need to make a 3rd Everquest to be honest.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Honestly it's fine, Everquest 1 & 2 are still really good MMOs. There's no need to make a 3rd Everquest to be honest.

Nope, and gently caress Nope.

Third World Reggin posted:

:same:

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Relayer posted:

*whispered into Daybreak's ear*

"If you build it, they will come..."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

I mean, there's quite a number of things I liked about vintage EQ1. (The community/worldbuilding, the sense of danger and exploration, novel and unique ways to differentiate the classes) but there was a whole loving bunch of awful terrible poo poo (corpse runs, absolutely brutal difficulty curve, pure melee classes were boring as poo poo, hard to navigate before in-game maps or third party tools) that came along with the ride. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of the stuff that made classic EQ1 fantastic was hopelessly married to the stuff that made it unbearable. The community was so strong as a direct result of the brutal punishing difficulty forcing people to cooperate to survive the leveling game. EQ1 was the only MMO game I've played where I had significant social interactions with people outside of my guild for any amount of time. Guilds (or at least, the ones that weren't competing for endgame mobs) communicated to each other and would exchange information on the horrible rear end in a top hat players, meaning individual player reputation mattered because if you were a horrible person you can and would get blackballed from guilds and groups. It was hard to hide from this because name changes were at the time public information and the horrible lovely leveling curve guaranteed that you couldn't just reroll your problems away.

Trying to recapture that Vintage EQ1 nostalgia is a noble goal, but also a sadomasochistic one as well due to how knowingly punishing you'd have to make the game to capture that magic in a bottle again.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, there's quite a number of things I liked about vintage EQ1. (The community/worldbuilding, the sense of danger and exploration, novel and unique ways to differentiate the classes) but there was a whole loving bunch of awful terrible poo poo (corpse runs, absolutely brutal difficulty curve, pure melee classes were boring as poo poo, hard to navigate before in-game maps or third party tools) that came along with the ride. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of the stuff that made classic EQ1 fantastic was hopelessly married to the stuff that made it unbearable. The community was so strong as a direct result of the brutal punishing difficulty forcing people to cooperate to survive the leveling game. EQ1 was the only MMO game I've played where I had significant social interactions with people outside of my guild for any amount of time. Guilds (or at least, the ones that weren't competing for endgame mobs) communicated to each other and would exchange information on the horrible rear end in a top hat players, meaning individual player reputation mattered because if you were a horrible person you can and would get blackballed from guilds and groups. It was hard to hide from this because name changes were at the time public information and the horrible lovely leveling curve guaranteed that you couldn't just reroll your problems away.

Trying to recapture that Vintage EQ1 nostalgia is a noble goal, but also a sadomasochistic one as well due to how knowingly punishing you'd have to make the game to capture that magic in a bottle again.

I dunno, outside of obvious shortcomings with the UI, I think most of the punishing elements of EQ1 were essential to, as you say, that feeling of danger and exploration that it could bring. Even on P99, which is pretty good at instituting classic mechanics wherever possible, death just doesn't have the same sting that it did on live because I know how easy it is to recover lost corpses even if they decay. In classic EQ on live, I don't remember the GM's being that willing to restore corpses, in fact I remember instances of GM's basically telling people they were poo poo out of luck if their corpse legitimately decayed. Knowing that you could completely lose everything you'd worked so hard for provided a sense of danger and exhilaration that I've still never experienced again. You HAD to get your corpse back, which gave players yet another reason to interact because necros could summon corpses, or if you couldn't find a necro you could reach out to people for help and form a party just to go get a corpse back. When I die on P99, even if it's in the most unrecoverable place imaginable, I just kinda go "eh. well thats annoying" because I know that I'm in absolutely no danger of losing anything but some time.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 10, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think the only reason people in EQ communicated at all was because you literally had to. No trade UI; gotta shout in chat, and then meet somebody in person, and risk a bad trade. Zone-camping meant you had to communicate just to get experience. Desperate corpse runs required you to shout for a Necromancer or the ever-popular, 'has anyone seen my corpse?' MOB-trains required shouting and warning others like an out-of-control truck careening towards a fruit vendor.

All of these things have been smoothed out in modern MMOs and honestly, it's probably for the best - but that means that a lot of the stuff that forced people to communicate was removed, so they don't. Why the hell would guilds communicate? They don't have to forge a server-wide raid schedule just to make sure nobody grabs an uninvited Innoruk pull or something.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Although I likely won't play it anymore, I am glad p99 exists because for literally half my life people would not shut the gently caress up saying "eq was actually horrible in every way it was just your first mmo and blah blah blah rose tinted glasses blah blah blah blah blah"

When in reality p99 is fun and cool, the game systems are fun, and to be fair the bad things about p99 are out of the game's hands, like the shady administration and like the fact that probably no one under 30 plays it so everyone on there is just a little bit dead on the inside.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Jean Eric Burn posted:

[...] to be fair the bad things about p99 are out of the game's hands, [...] the fact that probably no one under 30 plays it so everyone on there is just a little bit dead on the inside.
To be fair, I'd almost certainly be more dead inside if I was playing pre-Luclin EQ in the year of our lord 2016; maybe there's a bit of a causality problem in play with this statement. :v:

It was great when I played it then--late elementary into junior high school--but drat if I could even pretend to want a game that was so needlessly inconvenient and time consuming about everything these days. Then again, I got the most into WoW I've been since vanilla when WoD dropped and once through the first round of content was quite enough to make me depart in boredom because things felt too trivialized compared to the days of yore, even if they've refined and improved a lot of aspects for the better. MMOs in general seem on the rocks to me: there haven't been any striking paradigm shifts in the genre (most attempts have been, in my opinion, abysmal failures) in a decade and it shows painfully.

bUm fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

bUm posted:

To be fair, I'd almost certainly be more dead inside if I was playing pre-Luclin EQ in the year of our lord 2016; maybe there's a bit of a causality problem in play with this statement. :v:

It was great when I played it then--late elementary into junior high school--but drat if I could even pretend to want a game that was so needlessly inconvenient and time consuming about everything these days. Then again, I got the most into WoW I've been since vanilla when WoD dropped and once through the first round of content was quite enough to make me depart in boredom because things felt too trivialized compared to the days of yore, even if they've refined and improved a lot of aspects for the better. MMOs in general seem on the rocks to me: there haven't been any striking paradigm shifts in the genre (most attempts have been, in my opinion, abysmal failures) in a decade and it shows painfully.

Yeah, I think I connected most with beastmasters from luclin the most in terms of a style I enjoyed. But that may also be because it was a class straight up built better for soloing than the others.

As for paradigm shift, there has been some in the fact the mmos are getting more action based instead of the 20 skill hotbar autoattacks of WoW/etc. Blade and Soul being a recent one. Black Desert Online for another. I suppose Guild Wars 2 is as well to some extent. Surprisingly for me, I'm surprised there isn't more comic book mmos out there. CoX got nailed to the wall when Aion floundered. DCUO is.. ok, but fairly bland with combat feeling a little mushy. Champs Online is pretty terrible with an even more limiting areas to explore (DCUO has this problem too). Careful where you wander or you might encounter mobs several levels to 2x your level ready to one shot you.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Wait, CoX got sunk because Aion underperformed? How does that work?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Wait, CoX got sunk because Aion underperformed? How does that work?

Wasn't it just because NCSoft shut down Paragon Studios? And with Paragon shutting down, so too did the CoX servers? I remember NCSoft claimed to be losing money at the time, primarily due to Aion's under-performance and the expensive production costs for Guild Wars 2. Going back and reading some news, it looks like most fans believed NCSoft's logic was that CoX players would shift over to Aion or GW2. Also, some speculated that CoX was cut because it was an acquired game from an American studio and NCSoft is a Korean company. Over time, CoX just didn't fit their aesthetic, so it got axed.

I want to play Everquest III damnit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wasn't it just because NCSoft shut down Paragon Studios? And with Paragon shutting down, so too did the CoX servers? I remember NCSoft claimed to be losing money at the time, primarily due to Aion's under-performance and the expensive production costs for Guild Wars 2. Going back and reading some news, it looks like most fans believed NCSoft's logic was that CoX players would shift over to Aion or GW2. Also, some speculated that CoX was cut because it was an acquired game from an American studio and NCSoft is a Korean company. Over time, CoX just didn't fit their aesthetic, so it got axed.

IIRC the CoX servers were repurposed for Wildstar. Because that went so well for them.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

joshtothemaxx posted:

You have a better chance of Wildstar 2 happening.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Look at this. (the good stuff happens at ~3:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O_Pw8lo_KM

Why can't landmark have this? I would've put in way more effort if I had such a flexible select tool.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

lol this game

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just find it a shame that the game that was going to get other people to do their world building for them never saw the light of day, I was so looking forward to finding the dick mosaics hidden away inside the elaborate castles.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just find it a shame that the game that was going to get other people to do their world building for them never saw the light of day, I was so looking forward to building the dick mosaics hidden away inside the elaborate castles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I see they're trying to make good on an update, but it has nothing to do with fixing the poor performance, the crashes, and the broken tools.

You do get to start on flat land, though. And your claim will be yooge! No more add-on claims. Also, underground daily quests, which the way it was described sounds more like instanced content.

• Locked thread