Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Who knew that the game can be easy if you can avoid being shot at.

Seriously, this was the, what, fourth mission in a row that no enemy even got a chance to shoot at him? The "Most Under Fire" award is always empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 31, 2022

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Councilman is not impressed and considers Beagle :mediocre:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
The reads on "Ready to boogie" are amazing.

BOOOOO GEE

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Riding the doom clock like Beagle is seems a little too good.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 31, 2022

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

HenryEx posted:

Seriously, this was the, what, fourth mission in a row that no enemy even got a chance to shoot at him? The "Most Under Fire" award is always empty.

Well right this is always the goal of xcom strategy, but on legendary I figured the game would find a way to take at least one shot per plot mission. Beagle is good, but the AI at it's very best not pulling the trigger at all seems weak and silly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
To be fair, if he fails any of those missions (trigger one too many pods at once, encounter a new enemy type not prepared for, etc.), he's hosed.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HenryEx posted:

I mean isn't it just a review version of the game? Won't enemies just escalate eventually in the retail version? He's not even facing arch angels or a ton of mutons or chrysalids so...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I will actually laugh if Beagle is playing the Easy-mode version of Legendary because it's a review copy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AegisP posted:

To be fair, if he fails any of those missions (trigger one too many pods at once, encounter a new enemy type not prepared for, etc.), he's hosed.

This is true, but given the immense amount of extra time being able to continually conjure time out of thin air gives him to procure more supplies/complete research/run extra missions to level his dudes, it becomes increasingly unlikely that he'll cock up a mission since he's dramatically better prepared than somebody who was just smashing blacksites as fast as they could.

If there are alien types only triggered by story advancement like Sectoid Commanders/Ethereals in EU/EW it will make riding the doom clock like this even more effective.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 31, 2022

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Strobe posted:

I will actually laugh if Beagle is playing the Easy-mode version of Legendary because it's a review copy.

He mentioned at the start of this stream that he was... or at least not playing the version that has the updated "take a shot at exposed targets on reveal" mechanics.

E: FUTBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 2, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Time for some FUTBOL

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
OH GOD ARE YOU FUTBOLING ME??

best thing ever, im crying

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kanos posted:

Riding the doom clock like Beagle is seems a little too good.

Might be nice if high Avatar progress gave some bonuses to the aliens? Like Alien research in LW, high progress would spawn more/harder enemies in missions.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 31, 2022

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Why the gently caress are the alien ships still called UFOs when this game is supposed to take place 20 years after XCom1 EU/EW?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watch out for the IFOS!

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Link to whatever you guys are watching?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

splifyphus posted:

That's kind of a complicated situation at the moment. It should be showing up here in a few minutes.

The channel name changed in the middle of a multiplayer match.

Thank you.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

beags streams actually broken right now because twitch changed his channel name mid-stream and he has to restart it or something. new one is http://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam
(when it comes back up)

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

texasmed posted:

Why the gently caress are the alien ships still called UFOs when this game is supposed to take place 20 years after XCom1 EU/EW?

Why do you think of alien spaceships instead of swamp gas when you hear the word UFO? Same reason.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Would it be broken if I modded Fuse (Psi ability to remotely detonate explosives) to be able to explode cars?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

texasmed posted:

Same reason we call our discs DVDs.

Junpei posted:

Would it be broken if I modded Fuse (Psi ability to remotely detonate explosives) to be able to explode cars?

Yes, very, do it anyways

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Darkrenown posted:

Might be nice if high Avatar progress gave some bonuses to the aliens? Like Alien research in LW, high progress would spawn more/harder enemies in missions.

I could see a Long War style redesign where each Advent facility adds income to the alien's research pool, further encouraging their destruction and not toying with the doom counter working well, yeah.

It could also add to the dark event's drawn every month, say +1 event per 2-3 facilities if research would be too boring.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
That was such a badly time switch on Twitch's part, hahahah.

Also, wow, Bersekers aren't as scary as I imagined them to be?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cosmic Afro posted:

Also, wow, Bersekers aren't as scary as I imagined them to be?

I think their gimmick in the game is that they can cause panic with their intimidation. But that's only happening against low level squaddies and doesn't seem to have the slightest impact on multiplayer.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I finally got Openxcom and Last Mod to work. Second round of rookie recruitment, this guy appears and all I can think of is that stupid Moon Moon thing. Which, ironically works, because, even for an Xcom rookie, he's outstanding at being unable to hit a goddamn thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking of the older games, did Xenonauts ever become a thing or did they just give up when Fireaxis beat them at their own game?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of the older games, did Xenonauts ever become a thing or did they just give up when Fireaxis beat them at their own game?

Mate, not only did Xenonauts become a thing its also a surprisingly good thing. Art direction hampers it by a noticeable amount but the gameplay is rock solid, the modding support is painless, the narrative is delightful, the lead scientist is the best NPC in one of these games ever and the power fantasy is loving fantastic when the final tier weapons is the lead science guy going "Pffh, Plasma? gently caress that, lets just go back to ballistics. Railgun ballistics." :getin:

It's totally worth grabbing it, the community pack and taking it out for a spin in these final days before xcom 2.

E: There's also something disquieting in watching the global casualty rate slowly rise as the war goes on. I'm sorry shipping half a world away! I didn't have radar coverage to save you! :cry:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Xenonauts is X-com without the atmosphere, charm or visual direction.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's just got all the xeno murder, rookie slaughter and incredible tactical depth.

Someone should just make a mod of not awful art assets.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
as far as i can tell xenonauts is about a global rebellion but all the rebels are wearing bargain bin tiger and allen masks

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Seen enough footage and gameplay

Beagle really sold me on this with his stream

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Still no announcement of when its going to unlock?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ragingsheep posted:

Still no announcement of when its going to unlock?

only a preload is confirmed so far, and not even when for that either. Humble Store keys are available already though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Mate, not only did Xenonauts become a thing its also a surprisingly good thing. Art direction hampers it by a noticeable amount but the gameplay is rock solid, the modding support is painless, the narrative is delightful, the lead scientist is the best NPC in one of these games ever and the power fantasy is loving fantastic when the final tier weapons is the lead science guy going "Pffh, Plasma? gently caress that, lets just go back to ballistics. Railgun ballistics." :getin:

It's totally worth grabbing it, the community pack and taking it out for a spin in these final days before xcom 2.

E: There's also something disquieting in watching the global casualty rate slowly rise as the war goes on. I'm sorry shipping half a world away! I didn't have radar coverage to save you! :cry:

Xenonauts is worth the price of admission for the research logs alone. "I finally figured out how to talk to the aliens, I guess that makes me the father of Xenolinguistics. nbd, it's not even a hard science. "