Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Back in the It's Showtime days, Simon Rutz got so pissed off with ridiculous, lovely decisions that he started hiring 5 judges per bout instead of 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Back in the It's Showtime days, Simon Rutz got so pissed off with ridiculous, lovely decisions that he started hiring 5 judges per bout instead of 3

How does adding two more bad judges fix anything?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

2 are reserve judges. If a judge issues a bad decision he is beaten to death by Badr Hari and a reserve judge takes his place.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

two-fold, it's a sizable step towards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd

also, costs more to corrupt more.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

it actually seemed to work out alright, but their judges weren't iska weirdos

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sanny Dahlbäck just posted a link to his latest fight, vs Aikpracha Meenayothin. It's a fun little scrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7GLEV0uMU

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
Petrosyan fights tomorrow morning at Henan province's premiere martial arts promotion WU LIN FENG. Starts at 6:30 am ET. There's also an eight man tournament and every match is a Chinese guy vs. a not Chinese guy. This is apparently Wu Lin Feng's gimmick.

http://www.liverkick.com/index.php/...rosyan-and-more

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Pierat posted:

Petrosyan fights tomorrow morning at Henan province's premiere martial arts promotion WU LIN FENG. Starts at 6:30 am ET. There's also an eight man tournament and every match is a Chinese guy vs. a not Chinese guy. This is apparently Wu Lin Feng's gimmick.

http://www.liverkick.com/index.php/...rosyan-and-more

Any idea how to catch this?

edit:
Oh, seems like it's on now?
http://www.zoptv.com/live/henan-tv

The connection leaves much to be desired however

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Opal posted:

Any idea how to catch this?

It was streaming on youtube but then the youtube stream broke and it's over now. Anyway here's petrosyan's fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFNiaFdEIk

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Well crap, hope there's a VOD, looked interesting. I'll wait on the Good Doctor's fight for a day or so and see

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Just saw something that I thought the depraved monsters here would laugh at. I'm sure you've seen videos of tourists in Thailand with no fighting experience being offered fights against either taxi drivers with no experience to make the tourists feel good, or against people who can fight a tiny bit just to keep them busy and make them look good beating up a foreigner.

Well, one promoter in Thailand unfortunately didn't recognise Albert Kraus

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertTheHurricaneKraus/videos/761209703966682/

Opal
May 10, 2005

A friend of mine got tricked into taking a fight under full muay thai rules against a local girl they said had like 3 professional wins but who turned out to have had 30. I'm not really sure what the purpose of that was but at least my mate got out with only a couple of (admittedly nasty) elbow cuts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Lol, was wondering if Kraus was really puffy between fights or something. Not that, I guess.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Just saw something that I thought the depraved monsters here would laugh at. I'm sure you've seen videos of tourists in Thailand with no fighting experience being offered fights against either taxi drivers with no experience to make the tourists feel good, or against people who can fight a tiny bit just to keep them busy and make them look good beating up a foreigner.

good mic on that camera. those body shots sounded uncomfortable

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Opal posted:

A friend of mine got tricked into taking a fight under full muay thai rules against a local girl they said had like 3 professional wins but who turned out to have had 30. I'm not really sure what the purpose of that was but at least my mate got out with only a couple of (admittedly nasty) elbow cuts

I'm a firm believer that anything in life you get a good story out of is worth it. That sounds like a trip.

And something stupid I'd get tricked into.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

good mic on that camera. those body shots sounded uncomfortable

Yeah. I was not able to a laugh at that but I guess it's usually the tourist getting beat up.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

It's never the tourist getting beat up, it's always the other way around.
Tourists get put on those cards to attract more tourists for inflated ticket prices, and they almost always win.
Look at the video and how the poor slob the Thai promoter put in the ring for 200 baht suffers, that's just shameful.
A professional fighter knocking out some Tuk Tuk driver who looks barely trained, he must feel like a real hero for that.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

eine dose socken posted:

Tourists get put on those cards to attract more tourists for inflated ticket prices, and they almost always win.
Look at the video and how the poor slob the Thai promoter put in the ring for 200 baht suffers, that's just shameful.
A professional fighter knocking out some Tuk Tuk driver who looks barely trained, he must feel like a real hero for that.

In fairness he says he refused a lot of times and intentionally didn't hit the guy in the head, but he still hosed the poor dude's day up

Also you do get some farang getting put in to lose, but it's usually guys who know how to fight a little going to the gym on holiday rather than the total slobs. Because everyone fights so much people at every gym get sized up for their ability to can for people a level above them.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Opal posted:

I would of totally fallen for that

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That was basically the best part of the first Jackass movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po6Ien_Mjto

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

eine dose socken posted:

Nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdt_NXOoH3w

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

That's a drunk brawl not a promoted fight.

Coincidentally, that venue (Thaepae Gate Stadium) is the worst tourist shithole in Chiang Mai and nothing that goes on in there has anything to do with Muay Thai in most other Stadiums, except some lovely bar venues in like Pattaya.

If you See a tourist fighting a Thai, odds are usually that the Thai is some fat gently caress paid to take a dive for beer money.

There also are horrible mismatches all the time, its not fun watching a 16 year old Thai girl that looks like she weighs under 45 kilos get violently knocked out by some Russian boxer chick in her twenties.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

That was basically the best part of the first Jackass movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po6Ien_Mjto

Watching English movies dubbed into different languages is loving classic.

Whenever I watch bum brawls (like what Ryan Dunn was just doing) I'm always amazed at how the concept "KEEP YOUR GOD DAMNED HANDS UP!" goes out the window once you get hit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lion Fight on AXS. Some 74-18 thai guy (missed his name - Kronphet?) is about to fight a 7-0 white-ish kit (Gaston Bolanos - Mexican?).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The dude who runs my local kickboxing gym is getting all nostalgic and posting long rants on his facebook page talking about the history of the American long pants kickboxing scene of the 70's and 80's. Talking about hanging out with Benny Urquidez, doing analysis of grainy VHS videos of 30 year old fights, etc. It's kind of interesting, because my main exposure to that scene is generally people making fun of it online. Now he's obviously biased given that that was the scene he came up in, but he's given me some new perspective on it. There were so many dumb rules back in the day, but according to him a lot of it was concessions that the fighters were not fans of so that bouts could actually get licensed and promoted. People were scared of everything. Boxing commissions saw things like leg kicks and decided that they shouldn't be allowed because they thought that a stray kick landing to the knee would cause too much injury. The occasional Thai fighter would come to the US, have to fight under a dumb rule set and get pelted with beer cups and booed while they did a Ram Muay. Everyone was crazy uneducated. Easy to look back on and make fun of, but people were trying to do the best they could with the available education of the time. No internet. People were pretty sure Muay Thai fights were bloodsport affairs. It was a weird time. Things didn't start getting standardized until it got more popular to train in Thailand in the 80's and K-1 got off the ground.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i used to love watching Chuck Norris's World Combat League at like 2am on spike or wherever it aired. That poo poo was so silly. Team-based longpants kickboxing, a passivity rule so intense that you would get warned and docked by the referee for basically ever backing away or circling ever, and Pat Barry was in it for a while.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

attackmole posted:

The dude who runs my local kickboxing gym is getting all nostalgic and posting long rants on his facebook page talking about the history of the American long pants kickboxing scene of the 70's and 80's. Talking about hanging out with Benny Urquidez, doing analysis of grainy VHS videos of 30 year old fights, etc. It's kind of interesting, because my main exposure to that scene is generally people making fun of it online. Now he's obviously biased given that that was the scene he came up in, but he's given me some new perspective on it. There were so many dumb rules back in the day, but according to him a lot of it was concessions that the fighters were not fans of so that bouts could actually get licensed and promoted. People were scared of everything. Boxing commissions saw things like leg kicks and decided that they shouldn't be allowed because they thought that a stray kick landing to the knee would cause too much injury. The occasional Thai fighter would come to the US, have to fight under a dumb rule set and get pelted with beer cups and booed while they did a Ram Muay. Everyone was crazy uneducated. Easy to look back on and make fun of, but people were trying to do the best they could with the available education of the time. No internet. People were pretty sure Muay Thai fights were bloodsport affairs. It was a weird time. Things didn't start getting standardized until it got more popular to train in Thailand in the 80's and K-1 got off the ground.

On that note, this fight is really cool for anyone who hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpfBYHrCWM

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
There were some really talented long pants kickboxers (and still a few today, Andrew Tate has done alright in modern kickboxing rules), but it's absolutely correct that the rules were made for weird, stupid reasons, which also resulted in long pants practitioners getting destroyed under different rulesets which clearly meant that one was better than the other and led to a big style homogenisation. And then years later you see things creeping back in from all over the place such as the Brazilian kick, the chasse frontal, crescent kicks etc. Just as K-1 is different to muay thai and not necessarily better or worse, so too is long pants kickboxing, but one of the things working against it in the tv space was the tendency for long fights. 12 or 15 rounders that could be brutally boring.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

colonel_korn posted:

On that note, this fight is really cool for anyone who hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpfBYHrCWM

This is the fight where Rick Rufous learns what a leg kick is, right?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i used to love watching Chuck Norris's World Combat League at like 2am on spike or wherever it aired. That poo poo was so silly. Team-based longpants kickboxing, a passivity rule so intense that you would get warned and docked by the referee for basically ever backing away or circling ever, and Pat Barry was in it for a while.

I found some DVDs in the dollar bin recently and I am in love with that goofy, goofy kick show.

Longpants kickboxing gets my respect, not really great to watch but whatever. WCL, on the other hand, was fun as hell. Everyone seemed to go into WCL with a karate-rear end-kick fantasy, and matches ended when one person was better at realizing their vision than the other.

and others were exactly what you'd expect, and it's similarly great:

Also for some reason the guy who hosted the "best knockouts" dvd kept calling the heavyweights "big boys"

serious question: Were the classic long pants kickboxing rules just an American thing? Or were they enforced elsewhere? I know there were different ruling bodies and different restrictions and etc. but was, say, the Dutch scene drastically different than the American scene back then?

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
In Germany, thanks to the US military occupation, everyone thought of kickboxing as the Chuck Norris kind. But in the Netherlands it was brought over in the Japanese form by karateka and gangster Jan Plas in 1976.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LvK posted:

I found some DVDs in the dollar bin recently and I am in love with that goofy, goofy kick show.

Longpants kickboxing gets my respect, not really great to watch but whatever. WCL, on the other hand, was fun as hell. Everyone seemed to go into WCL with a karate-rear end-kick fantasy, and matches ended when one person was better at realizing their vision than the other.

and others were exactly what you'd expect, and it's similarly great:

Also for some reason the guy who hosted the "best knockouts" dvd kept calling the heavyweights "big boys"

serious question: Were the classic long pants kickboxing rules just an American thing? Or were they enforced elsewhere? I know there were different ruling bodies and different restrictions and etc. but was, say, the Dutch scene drastically different than the American scene back then?

in that second gif, i've seriously seen wcl refs call passivity on a guy for backing up as much as the red pants guy. they were that serious about balls-to-the-wall let-me-bang-bro punchouts.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

fightpass got GLORY and the K-1 tape library

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

acai moonsault posted:

fightpass got GLORY and the K-1 tape library

There's literally no way they have the latter, it's been tied up in a lawsuit since GLORY bought it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is Tyrone Spong ever going to fight again? He was booked for a WSOF card and he wasn't on it.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Spong's basically made of glass at this point. That's three fights in a row he pulled out of due to injury

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Since he just fought and y'all were talking about it here is Stephen Thompson long pants kicking dudes in the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T444hPPvy-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvATLQtsNw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since he just fought and y'all were talking about it here is Stephen Thompson long pants kicking dudes in the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T444hPPvy-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvATLQtsNw

this is fairly watchable. and that second knockout was grim. has the boxing component of long pants kickboxing always been terrible?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think Cecil was getting tired from doing his kata so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Nobody has the rights to 100% of the K-1 library, but Glory did buy some stuff off of one of the TV stations, don't think there's any commentary though