Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The Aurora changes are going to make it an absolute murderboat, which I wholeheartedly support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tanith posted:

The Aurora changes are going to make it an absolute murderboat, which I wholeheartedly support.

How do you figure that? So what, it can hardpoint‐mount more energy weapons that it can’t support in flux.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Seems like it ate a nerf if anything, since it can no longer mount a Large missile. Certain missile types that are only available on Large mounts are now out, and the potential number of torpedoes it can carry has been reduced.

I'm not really complaining since I don't really like flying Auroras and they're mean things to fight, but I don't see this as a buff. :shrug:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Platystemon posted:

How do you figure that? So what, it can hardpoint‐mount more energy weapons that it cant support in flux.

I wasn't thinking with just vanilla, I guess it makes less of a difference there. In any case, more options are always better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

quote:

Added short "arming" time for torpedoes; will bounce instead of exploding if fired at point-blank range
Sounds like an easy way to make torpedoes WW2 style long range dumbfire area-denial weapons. Going to be awesome.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DatonKallandor posted:

Sounds like an easy way to make torpedoes WW2 style long range dumbfire area-denial weapons. Going to be awesome.

This is cool, but also makes my favorite suicide lasher setup useless :argh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So does that mean that they'll bounce and then they'll arm? Looking forward to sweet goon suicide gifs itt.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mordja posted:

So does that mean that they'll bounce and then they'll arm? Looking forward to sweet goon suicide gifs itt.

That would be amazing. Have nuclear mines just floating around waiting for some poor fool to bounce into them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Bonus points if the reaper torpedo's are spinning like carnival fireworks around the map as a result.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Platystemon posted:

How do you figure that? So what, it can hardpoint‐mount more energy weapons that it can’t support in flux.

What? The Aurora already had flux stats so far beyond its hardpoints that you basically had to go straight into Heavy Blasters to use it. Opening up new options for a forward battery of poo poo like AM Blasters is going to enable some hilariously bursty loadouts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Voyager I posted:

What? The Aurora already had flux stats so far beyond its hardpoints that you basically had to go straight into Heavy Blasters to use it. Opening up new options for a forward battery of poo poo like AM Blasters is going to enable some hilariously bursty loadouts.

Yeah I guess, but I already did use heavy blasters because there aren’t a whole lot of good medium energy weapons—heavy blasters, pulse lasers, and phase lances.

Mods add good, low flux medium energy weapons, and maybe then I’d put more energy weapons on the front.

All those hardpoints still scream “missiles”, though, especially since they can’t take a good ballistic shield buster. Antimatter blasters are kind of similar to reaper missiles in functionality. They have more charges and can’t be shot down, but they do less damager per shot and generate loads of flux. With as many hardpoints as the Aurora has, and the ordnance point difference, I think I’d still prefer reapers.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

On a high level char its gonna be reaaall funny to put safety override on the aurora now

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I guess, but I already did use heavy blasters because there aren’t a whole lot of good medium energy weapons—heavy blasters, pulse lasers, and phase lances.

Mods add good, low flux medium energy weapons, and maybe then I’d put more energy weapons on the front.

All those hardpoints still scream “missiles”, though, especially since they can’t take a good ballistic shield buster. Antimatter blasters are kind of similar to reaper missiles in functionality. They have more charges and can’t be shot down, but they do less damager per shot and generate loads of flux. With as many hardpoints as the Aurora has, and the ordnance point difference, I think I’d still prefer reapers.
Eh, I never got on with the Aurora as it simply didn't have staying power with the missile hardpoints (maybe it was better with missile spec). You either used them to break armour but could never force another cruiser to drop shields with only 2 medium slots, or used them to break shields but didn't have enough of them to consistently break cruiser-grade shields and couldn't really punish an unshielded ship with your energy weapons when you did. Now, with 3 phase beams and HEF, you're more likely to be able to overload someone (an unsuspecting someone too, if you've got the optics range boost) and drop some Reapers into them.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

I like this guy's style.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What mod are those capital ships?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

What mod are those capital ships?

All the orange stuff is Imperium. The capitals are special siege weapons that fire cruiser sized missiles. One kind just does a gently caress ton of aoe damage, the other shits out something like 200 smaller missiles.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ceebees posted:

I like this guy's style.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

dis astranagant posted:

All the orange stuff is Imperium. The capitals are special siege weapons that fire cruiser sized missiles. One kind just does a gently caress ton of aoe damage, the other shits out something like 200 smaller missiles.

reposting from a few pages back but its :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNcyzVTVMT4

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The OP should collect such videos and preserve them for posterity.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That owns. Is the mod balanced well against vanilla?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bold Robot posted:

If anything, I’d say it’s underpowered on the basis that I don’t particularly like any of their ships and I don’t mind fighting their fleets.

I do like some of their guns, though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Minarchist posted:

this is why starfarer/starsector exists

right there

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Minarchist posted:

I love how at one point there so much wreckage floating around that about half the missiles are just slamming into dead ships. :orks101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Decently, except for the part where they almost always roll up a ridiculous doom fleet to poo poo all over Jangala.

Their ships are basically Hegemony ones but slower and with everything focused in the forward arc. Most of their guns have ridiculous range but bad dps. They tend to fall apart if you do anything that doesn't let them line up and plink.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Imp Centurions make for a decent alternative to the Enforcer bowling ball, with the medium Hornet missiles subbing in for the Annihilators. Not quite as killy but a bit more resilient, fluxwise.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The weapons they just got in the last patch seem pretty solid as well. 800 range HE rounds in a light ballistic slot do solid work.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

pun pundit posted:

The OP should collect such videos and preserve them for posterity.

speaking of which does anyone have that old video of the Neutrino ship that was a literal spinning hammer

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

yaay posted:

speaking of which does anyone have that old video of the Neutrino ship that was a literal spinning hammer

This one?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

that's it tyvm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy poo poo that tarsus at the end my loving sides.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dear god, the Stalker from Pirates+ is loving mean. With the hullmods and hypervelocity drivers and railguns on, coupled with officer skills and the sensor drones, you can be hitting people at like 3000 units with that motherfucker. It can even reliably kill poo poo like onslaughts just by staying out of range of it :|

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Is there anything to use marines for outside of boarding actions? I see references to using them on the ground, but that doesn't seems to be a real feature yet.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

^Conquest in Nexerelin mod

Tartiflette posted this beast Diable Avionics teaser.

In other mod news Ive been working on BRDY as usual, got a new destroyer in the works and some more polish and changes, might do a release with the new destroyer or hold it back longer to make some utility frigs too (tanker, courier, scoutship), we'll see

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2016

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

^Conquest in Nexerelin mod

In other mod news Ive been working on BRDY as usual, got a new destroyer in the works and some more polish and changes, might do a release with the new destroyer or hold it back longer to make some utility frigs too (tanker, courier, scoutship), we'll see

I very much like both of these things, and I would especially appreciate a BRDY tug so my engine trails match. :spergin:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I suppose it's inevitable :spergin:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

:stwoon:

DA are as annoying to fight against as any faction with really strong fighters, but they're a lot of fun to play as and I'm glad Tartiflette has taken such a shine to them. His animation skills are perfect for it.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I just realized I bought this game in 2012 when it was still Starfarer. Is it anywhere near finished now? Is that going to show up on Steam at some point? I remember my first impression being "OK this looks cool I'll play it when it's complete".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

I just realized I bought this game in 2012 when it was still Starfarer. Is it anywhere near finished now? Is that going to show up on Steam at some point? I remember my first impression being "OK this looks cool I'll play it when it's complete".

Compete? No, probably another 4 years or so.

Really good? Yes. Incredibly.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

one thing i might request you do is a balance pass on the fighter CR recovery rates like you did for frigates. They seemed awfully low compared to vanilla/other mods fighters in my last Nexelerin playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Ayn Marx posted:

What Omni said, vanilla will keep you entertained for hours and once you feel like you've seen all there is to see SS+ and nex will really keep you occupied. Some forums goers really like some of the other overhauls like Ironclad but I haven't tried em.

EDit - also you da man shaolin fuckfiend nice work bruh

Double Edit - Is emp damage only for ship systems or does it also affect shields? I only ask because I use phase lances as like an Alpha strike to break shields/overload targets and I was wondering if removing the emp damage means less dmg to shields.

Shuka fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2016