Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in a situation right now where I want to be doing veteran bosses, but my healers are all either level 0 or level 4. So I am still stuck running relatively safe apprentice dungeons trying to get teams together that will colevelled with fresh off the boat healers. Then I make one attempt and some people die. Which is fine, but now I'm back to doing level 1 dungeons again to level new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

victrix posted:

All of these are bandaids on the problem of the repeated content that's level gated. I'm not sure there is a simple elegant solution anymore, since they baked this into the game's design.

It's definitely bit me in the rear end, I had my roster filled, with the majority at 3-4, and when I went to do the last two tier 1 bosses I hadn't fought, I realized I couldn't, because I didn't have enough low level people. That's just... dumb.

I'm not really convinced that triplicating the content was a good decision either, am I having any more fun in the higher level dungeons than the lower level ones? Not really. Not any less mind you, but it feels about the same, with the added 'bonus' that if I need a replacement for a certain tier I have to level them specifically to that spot, which also feels dumb.
At this point I feel like the game would be better if there were no Resolve levels at all - all they really do is give you higher numbers, it's not like a level 6 Grave Robber plays dramatically differently from a level 0 one - and the gameplay progression was like:
Beat first boss in a region, unlocking the second.
Beat second boss in a region, giving you a key to the Darkest Dungeon.
Once you have all keys, do the Darkest Dungeon or keep on going on random missions at your leisure.

Having no Resolve XP would also make adventurers more disposable, which considering how the game styles itself would be a plus imo. Then again I guess people like leveling their guys, so :shrug:.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 2, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I find it really funny that half the time people don't even realize the plague doctor is a woman but people still draw the worst poo poo of her apparently.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait till you see my mpreg leper

in other news - gently caress that goddamn map layout that has you entering in the middle of a massive snaking tunnel. there is precisely one good thing about this map.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I tried the second darkest dungeon quest and have no desire to go back. Yuck.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dyzzy posted:

I tried the second darkest dungeon quest and have no desire to go back. Yuck.

your dudes feel the same way

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I don't care for the thoughts of the dead

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait till you see my mpreg leper

in other news - gently caress that goddamn map layout that has you entering in the middle of a massive snaking tunnel. there is precisely one good thing about this map.

I consider a two lunged dungeon with the farthest points being equally distant while going for a boss to be the best.

Also i didn't scout the 12 pounder fight and that cannon is apparently super sneaky and snuck up on my guys and surprised them. I am going to imagine it hiding behind a tiny bush and my guys just blindly walking past it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it really funny that half the time people don't even realize the plague doctor is a woman but people still draw the worst poo poo of her apparently.

uh hey baby you got questionable professionalism and kinda look like a bird, and that is completely my poo poo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

I consider a two lunged dungeon with the farthest points being equally distant while going for a boss to be the best.

Also i didn't scout the 12 pounder fight and that cannon is apparently super sneaky and snuck up on my guys and surprised them. I am going to imagine it hiding behind a tiny bush and my guys just blindly walking past it.

Conveniently shaped lamps and pieces of furniture are the bane of all champions of light.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sloober posted:

Scouting the boss room is never necessary. It is 100% of the time located in whatever room is farthest from your starting point. There is absolutely zero doubt about a boss location unless two or more rooms are equidistant from your starting room, which is something I have never seen since I started paying attention. I suspect the code prevents it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Scouting the boss room is never necessary. It is 100% of the time located in whatever room is farthest from your starting point. There is absolutely zero doubt about a boss location unless two or more rooms are equidistant from your starting room, which is something I have never seen since I started paying attention. I suspect the code prevents it.

That 12 pounder fight was in a two lunged dungeon with the farthest point on each of them being 4 rooms away from the entrance, scouting would have helped in that situation.

Yes you can go by assumption on the boss being farthest, but you can hit some setups where they are the same distance. My 2nd flesh boss, 2nd siren, the 12 lber and the 2nd prophet for me all were like that, farthest rooms being 4 away.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2016

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Having no Resolve XP would also make adventurers more disposable, which considering how the game styles itself would be a plus imo. Then again I guess people like leveling their guys, so :shrug:.
This is an interesting idea, but a big part of the draw for the higher-level content is that the player feels attached to higher-level heroes because of the investments made.

Nakar posted:

I mean, I get the idea: Your heroes are getting too strong for the content that you may be comfortable with and the gold curve doesn't let you go into the next tier 100% prepared. I just think there's too much content at each tier (8 bosses!) to progress through it "naturally," which encourages gamey things like "fire everybody over and over until you have the town fully upgraded and tons of gold for an A-Team and all Apprentice/Veteran bosses killed, then start filling out your roster with top-tier champions." Because that's the conservative, sensible approach, when what they seem to want is for you to progress toward the top tier and stay there. Something about it is just off, at least a little bit, and if you play the way they want you to play it's ridiculously punishing... but at the same time you expect that, because you're unprepared... but then the best and most sensible way to prepare feels like cheating the game systems.
I think a big part of the disconnect is that the fun/intended way to play this game more or less contravenes a lot of genre conventions. You're pushed to embark on missions with a less than 100% success chance. The area bosses are all more-or-less entirely optional: the trophies I've gotten are certainly good, but not that necessarily better than other top-tier items. The quirk system drives to use adventurers with various flaws instead of curing everything. Any one of these aspects would be a game-breaker in a more standard RPG, and this game makes up with aspects like the indefinitely renewable supply of manpower and the relatively minor penalties for retreating/abandoning/even failing quests, in the larger scheme of things.

My current view is that the player has a large degree of control over how much strategic risk they're willing to bear, and on paper this is a problem in that someone can game the system to make things largely (still not 100%!) safe, outside of things like trying the DD entirely unspoilered. However, looked at another way, this is a natural mechanism for players to modulate their playstyle based on how they personally react to loss. In practice, I'm still having a lot of fun even though I'm in a fairly staid "grind through the remaining level 5 bosses" phase of the game, in part because I'm not worrying about being 100% optimal vis-a-vis negative quirks, locked-in positive quirks, etc. It might be weird to say that the player is responsible for playing the game in a way that they find fun, but there you have it.

Fundamentally, some of the issue is that the game is designed around having a lot of different valid approaches to play and thus has a large degree of strategic headroom. I would argue that this applies not just to party composition but also to larger strategic considerations. The issues about optimal play being boring is basically impossible to fix without narrowing the range of valid options. Such narrowing would be more necessary if this was a competitive multiplayer game, or even a game with a lose state.

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen two equally-far spots recently (it was in the cove I think?), but in that case the two rooms were quite close. I'd be pretty annoyed if they were really far away. I over-prepare for bosses in general but it's quite nice that much of the time you can skip a big chunk of the dungeon.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For shits and giggles I've got a "only one hero from each class" save file going, and so far it's pretty neat. I expect to go loving ballistic and delete it in frustration when my healers bite it and I have to grind them back up though. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Wait...

Leper, Man-at-arms, Highwayman, Vestal, Jester, Arbalest, Crusader, Grave Robber, Occultist, Abomination, Hellion.

11 characters-12 once the Merchant shows up(Whenever that is). In the very end, you'll 'have' to double up. Hope you enjoy it while it goes, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, hence the "for shits and giggles" bit. It's not a serious project or anything but I'm curious how far I'd be able to progress with it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Wait...

Leper, Man-at-arms, Highwayman, Vestal, Jester, Arbalest, Crusader, Grave Robber, Occultist, Abomination, Hellion.

11 characters-12 once the Merchant shows up(Whenever that is). In the very end, you'll 'have' to double up. Hope you enjoy it while it goes, though.

Your point is still valid, but there are currently 14 classes. You missed Houndmaster, Plague Doctor, and Bounty Hunter.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I just got done checking the backer trinkets and a fair few of them are indeed broken to some degree or another, mostly due to 'clever' applications of rank or situation-based downsides that seldom or never apply.

Mine, on the other hand... really isn't.

You're probably going to need that DB Resist and +Virtue chance in order to survive getting that pitiful amount of extra Resolve. Darkest Dungeon, folks! :getin:

As for my favorites so far, either thematically or statwise, here they are:

Truth
+7 ACC
+10% stress damage vs Eldritch

It helps you see better!

...Oh god, it helps you see better. :gonk:

The Rolled Bones
+3% crit at Death's Door
+3% crit if HP below 25%
+3% crit if torch below 26
-5 ACC

How willing are you to dance on the edge of oblivion with a downgrade in ACC just for that sweet extra +9% Crit? Roll them bones, and see how long you last.

The Phalanx
+6% Prot in Pos 1
+10% Move resist in Pos 1
+10% Stun resist in Pos 1
-4 SPD
-6 DODGE

Staying power at the front, in exchange for surer punishment.

The Cthonian Texts
-10% stress dmg if torch below 26
+10% blight resist if torch below 26
+10% Heal Skills
+10% stress dmg if torch above 75
-10% blight resist if torch above 75

You don't really want to be able to read these tattered manuscripts...

The Bloodied Shroud
+13% DMG if HP below 25%
+8 DODGE if HP below 25%
-13% Heals Received

Interesting synergy; you get less healing, so it's easier to fall below the health threshold that activates the rather significant bonuses.

Reaper's Hourglass
+5 SPD if HP above 75 %
+8 DODGE if HP above 75 %
+5% Crit if HP above 75 %
-4 SPD if HP below 26 %
-6 DODGE if HP below 26 %
-5 ACC if HP below 26 %

This trinket seems to encourage overconfidence...

Necronomicon
+13% Heal Skills
+13% Heal Skills
+4 SPD
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP

... I can see some interesting applications for this one, such as by stalling a prime healer's ascent, and allowing them to accompany more groups of green adventurers on missions.

Moirai bones

+6% Crit on First Round
+15% DMG after First Round
-5 ACC on First Round
-4% Crit after First Round

Nice and well-balanced trinket; gives you a high crit chance at ACC cost for the first round (when critting someone to death would have high value) and high damage at crit cost for the subsequent rounds.

Lewd Vial
+6 ACC while Camping
+5 SPD while Camping
-13% stress resist while Camping
-6% Prot while Camping
-10% Disease Resist while Camping
-10% Trap Disarm while Camping

Well, it had to happen at least once. :rolleyes:

Headhunter's Herbs

+6 ACC vs Marked
+13% DMG vs Marked
+6% Crit vs Marked
-10% Max HP
-13% Heals Received
-10% Stun Resist

A really nice marking upgrade at a cheap, but potentially significant, price.

Forlorn Memento
+6% Prot if torch below 26
+10% DMG if torch below 26
-10% Stress Dmg if torch below 26
-10% Move Resist
-6 % Death Blow Resist

A touch of strength and comfort in the dark; at the cost of easing one's passing (around).

Final Memento
+9% Death Blow Resist
-8% Virtue Chance

The desperate cannot afford death.

De Vermis Mysteriis
-20% stress resist vs Eldritch
-6 DODGE vs Eldritch

Armed with knowledge, overconfidence abounds.

Coward's Crutch
+8 DODGE if in Pos 4
+5 SPD if in Pos 4
-6 DODGE if in Pos 1

A trinket with no real disadvantage, but the name sure fits.

Concealed Dagger
+3 SPD on First Round
+3% Crit on First Round
+5 % DMG
-6% Prot

A little somethin' extra up the sleeve.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scribbleykins posted:

Necronomicon
+13% Heal Skills
+13% Heal Skills
+4 SPD
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP

... I can see some interesting applications for this one, such as by stalling a prime healer's ascent, and allowing them to accompany more groups of green adventurers on missions.

this is an amazing trinket

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does Darkest Dungeon support negative stat values? Like, is it possible to have negative PROT and if so do you take extra damage and so on?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AnonSpore posted:

Does Darkest Dungeon support negative stat values? Like, is it possible to have negative PROT and if so do you take extra damage and so on?

I think I remember a tutorial tooltip somewhere saying that any values that go negative are treated as zero but I could be mistaken.

Or maybe it was just someone posting it here.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm glad there are at least a few folks like Scribbleykins who are willing to make actually interesting trinkets instead of trying to find ways to game the system.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I think if a value is negative it is treated as zero. However, if you receive a buff, then it is lowered by that amount.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

captain innocuous posted:

I think if a value is negative it is treated as zero. However, if you receive a buff, then it is lowered by that amount.

I'm not completely certain but I think you're right for most stats, notably dodge and prot. I have seen speed go into a negative value and there's probably others as well.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So Champion level dungeons are bullshit. Got crit'd 10 times in a row, missed 6 in a row, Wyrd apparently only heals 1-4, and my whole squad has 2+ diseases each after the first room.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BobMcFartsens posted:

So Champion level dungeons are bullshit. Got crit'd 10 times in a row, missed 6 in a row, Wyrd apparently only heals 1-4, and my whole squad has 2+ diseases each after the first room.

I really, really hate that about level 5/6 dungeons. Your weapon upgrades don't seem to lend any accuracy but enemy dodge keeps going through the roof. It feels like you either crit or whiff entirely.

I gave this game another shot for a few days but the RPG elements feel really constrained and it boils down to luck. I can't do enough with my characters to make them really excel. And I don't really feel like playing for 125 weeks before I can even attempt the dungeons that'll get me rewards I can actually use.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

The champ dungeons are very harsh, and I'd suggest only doing champ short missions (yes, those are a thing) when you can until you can give people level 5 equipment + skills, and really nice trinkets. Even after getting everyone suited up, you might have to take a perfectly built team and run away once in a while because luck just wasn't on your side.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chomp8645 posted:

I've seen it at least a couple of times

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

fennesz posted:

... it boils down to luck.

lol

Wafflecopper posted:

me too. also just saw it happen on a stream yesterday.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Wafflecopper posted:

I find it's pretty rare that it's obvious. I just attempted the Hag and had 3 different equidistant possibilities :smith:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I need to do something like write 'don't do Champion cove missions without an answer for uca savages' on my palm. I just did it with Vestal-Hway-Hway-MaA and it was a real slog. I brought like half as many bandages as I ended up needing, and there were just too many fights where I was just whittling down the last uca and praying that Arterial Pinch either got dodged or bleed-resisted. If I had piled +stun trinkets on my vestal or MaA it would have been a little less tense, at least. Oh well, at least things worked out okay.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 3, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

fennesz posted:

I really, really hate that about level 5/6 dungeons. Your weapon upgrades don't seem to lend any accuracy but enemy dodge keeps going through the roof. It feels like you either crit or whiff entirely.

I gave this game another shot for a few days but the RPG elements feel really constrained and it boils down to luck. I can't do enough with my characters to make them really excel. And I don't really feel like playing for 125 weeks before I can even attempt the dungeons that'll get me rewards I can actually use.

Skill upgrades give you accuracy, weapons give damage/speed, armor gives hp/dodge. Trinkets are useful from the get-go, even the lovely common ones are often really helpful.

While any individual situation has plenty of luck to it, you have enough tools and options to mitigate a lot of it, and if the dice come down like the wrath of god on you there is still the retreat option. Very rarely should you be losing people or missions once you know the game and the enemies you're facing.

For a parallel, I can see people who are bad at dungeon crawl stone soup claim that they need to get lucky, or they only died from bad rng. Then I see someone string together multiple 15-rune wins in a "go down the line with race/class combos" or some poo poo, because they understand how to mitigate lovely luck when they get it, and what they need to be able to take something on.

I guess it just sounds like you're approaching this game from an rpg standpoint, which it actually has very little in common with. So I can see why it'd be frustrating. That is fine, consider toggling off some of the game difficulty options or mucking around with the .json files in the game if you want. Or liberally access backer heroes/trinkets, those in general seem pretty silly good. In the end I guess you thought you were getting into something different than what the game is about, sorry.

@freekillb: consider tapping a plague doc as a permanent cove member, infinite cure bleeds is pretty amazing. Plague doc+occultist is a great backrow for any cove party (occultist bonus damage for eldritch combined with high crit rate is significantly more damage than vestal).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

fennesz posted:

You're bad at this game and should put it down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gently caress you Collector you ruined my "perfect" game! :argh:

NG+ wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. At least, I expected the Darkest Dungeon to be a lot more difficult but it wasn't that much harder than in NG. Level 5 dungeons were probably the hardest part. So much potential for poo poo to go wrong so fast there. Beating every boss in NG+ is probably the hardest thing to do but I'm terrible with time limits and only had 20 weeks left when I beat the last dungeon.

VVV Honestly, before this run I thought the deed grind was annoying as well but when you have the right priorities it doesn't take very long.

I think it only took like 3 or 4 weald runs for me to get the blacksmith maxed out once I started working on it. I guess the reason it stands out to people is because you really don't need to grind for any of the other heirlooms. I got enough paintings playing normally to max out the guild long before the blacksmith was even close to done.

What took a lot longer was getting enough gold to outfit my squads for the Darkest Dungeon. That poo poo is expensive.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2016

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yeah it seems that beating all of the bosses takes quite a bit of grind. I'm at week 85 on a normal file and I still have four more bosses to unlock. At least Champion dungeons are anything but boring, and I'm making plenty of cash in order to have reserves for if when I start dying horribly in DD. I basically have 16 characters at or near level 6, but the rest of my roster is now kinda thin.

e: I'm curious how quickly you managed to get enough deeds for the blacksmith. Did you just live in the Weald for a while and then go straight to DD when you had level five upgrades? Or are dark runs just much better at heirloom grinding than I've been assuming?

e2: cool, good to know. I switched to loot-based strategies largely after I stopped caring about heirlooms, so I guess it's mostly similar to gold-farming runs.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Something (else) good I'll say for this game: when I lose against a boss, it really lights a fire in me to want to take them down.

Had ten spare minutes at one point today so I pulled out some scratch paper and jotted down several notes to myself regarding party formation and abilities, camping, etc., for the next time I go up against the Brigand 12 Pounder. Been awhile since I played a game like this where I felt compelled to "Play" the game while I wasn't, planning ahead and such.

Consequently, how does this sound to anybody: Arbalest, Vestal, Hound Master, Man-At-Arms.

Arbalest
    Sniper Shot
    Sniper's Mark
    Bola
    Battlefield Bandage
    CAMPING: Restring Crossbow
Vestal
    Dazzling Light
    Divine Grace
    Divine Comfort
    Illumination
    CAMPING: Bless
Hound Master
    Hound's Rush
    Whistle
    Lick Wounds
    Blackjack
    CAMPING: Hound's Watch
Man-at-Arms
    Rampart
    Bellow
    Command
    Bolster
    CAMPING: Tactics
Still need to pick out which trinkets to use which may alter my choice of skills, but the last time I went up against this boss I got slaughtered by a bunch of twitchy, dodge-happy crit bandits, so I figured I'd be best off building a team around stunning, dodging, and hitting what I aim to hit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You unlock stuff faster doing longer missions, so one reason it takes so long is the insistence on shorts vs long or even medium lengths. The caveat is you also get more resolve, but you could conceivably unlock stuff with a high level group doing champs or vet level groups etc. And using your lower rank guys to clear bosses.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

FreeKillB posted:

Yeah it seems that beating all of the bosses takes quite a bit of grind. I'm at week 85 on a normal file and I still have four more bosses to unlock. At least Champion dungeons are anything but boring, and I'm making plenty of cash in order to have reserves for if when I start dying horribly in DD. I basically have 16 characters at or near level 6, but the rest of my roster is now kinda thin.

e: I'm curious how quickly you managed to get enough deeds for the blacksmith. Did you just live in the Weald for a while and then go straight to DD when you had level five upgrades? Or are dark runs just much better at heirloom grinding than I've been assuming?

e2: cool, good to know. I switched to loot-based strategies largely after I stopped caring about heirlooms, so I guess it's mostly similar to gold-farming runs.
Just do long dungeons and specifically loot deeds. I have the blacksmith nearly fully upgraded at week 70.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Bad Seafood posted:

Consequently, how does this sound to anybody:

I worry about your damage output with that comp, on the cannon itself especially. No Blindfire on your Arbalest means you're likely to have her go last and if you've been clearing out adds as you go, then the Pounder's in Row 1 and you can't Sniper Shot it. Yeah, you have Bola, but the damage on the cannon you'll get from that will be sad times. The Vestal should probably be running Judgment instead of Illumination. I'm also not a fan of the dog man on any of the Pounders, Hound's Rush has a slightly lower accuracy than I might want if I'm rolling the dice on Dodge rolls on matchmen. No bleeding the cannon, either. Man-at-Arms I do like on the cannon, but I would consider slotting Retribution since you're guaranteed to take Blanket Fire. I'll be honest, I think it can work, but I'm doubtful it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I was gonna give advice on this team but then I realized your asking about the canon fight and I still have no clue what a good strategy for that is. Everything I've tried has either failed or only succeeded after a miserable amount of time. Its the only boss I feel like I don't "get" still.

All I'd say for sure is don't run illumination over judgement. Judgement is a better attacking option as it does more damage and heals the vestal.