Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Does anyone here have the police trunk organizer? Thinking about getting one for my Marauder but I don't want to lose the ability to put a full size beer cooler in my trunk with a few camping chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How easily can Panthers be lifted, say 1-2"? Let's say my budget is $2000 for the project.

geforce posted:

I don't mind taking the time to test them individually, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Just buy one extra coil and start swapping one by one? Did you swap both plug and coil for the reported cyl, or just coil?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kimbo305 posted:

How easily can Panthers be lifted, say 1-2"? Let's say my budget is $2000 for the project.
Which model? The Interceptor has stiffer springs than the civvie version and sits an inch higher, so the easy way is to get cop springs if you don't have them already.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Delivery McGee posted:

Which model? The Interceptor has stiffer springs than the civvie version and sits an inch higher, so the easy way is to get cop springs if you don't have them already.

I thought the Interceptor was lower with stiffer springs?
I was thinking on a 98 or later. The front is dual wishbone and the rear is Watts link, right? Would it simply be a matter of taller springs that at the rear don't get into the weird sideways travel path of the Watts link, and at the front don't really mess with the steering rack?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kimbo305 posted:

I thought the Interceptor was lower with stiffer springs?

No, it's meant to jump curbs and be loaded down with a bunch of radios and other gear, it's noticeably higher than the granny-spec version when all the cop stuff's taken out*. As for your other question, I don't know from suspension geometry (when I had a Jeep and was looking at lifts, it was leaf springs all 'round), but as a graduate of the "eh, that'll do" school of engineering, an inch or two probably shouldn't gently caress things up too terribly much.

2003 Merc (couldn't find a good pic of a Crown Vic that wasn't a Donk or P71):

2003 P71:

Lookit dat wheel-well gap on the cop car.

*An anecdote along similar lines: When one of my coworkers at the newspaper got a police-spec Harley, he asked his buddy the motorcycle cop (who was nicknamed "Radar" long before he joined the force, because he looks like the guy from M*A*S*H) to take it on the dyno for him at a rally. Radar's a little guy, and could just barely hold my coworker's bike up on tiptoe, despite it being the exact same model he had no problems with at work every day, because the one at work was so heavy it was actually two inches lower.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Does anyone here have the police trunk organizer? Thinking about getting one for my Marauder but I don't want to lose the ability to put a full size beer cooler in my trunk with a few camping chairs.
I want one, but they're extremely rare, because the cops keep 'em and put 'em in the replacement car. Last I checked they were going for like $400. May get a little cheaper as departments switch over to Chargers now that the P71's out of production.

Also what do you mean by "full size" cooler? The one I think of as full size would fit on top of the organizer with room to spare -- I went out and measured the trunk, it's close enough to 18 inches from the high bits on the edges that the organizer is flush with to the rim under the gasket. And what kind of chairs? Flat folding chairs, you could get one on top of the spare tire and two on top the cooler. The ones that fold up into a cylinder, you could stack three in the space between the cooler and axle hump, and probably wedge some more in on the side if you pushed the cooler all the way to one side.

Also, even allowing for the space between cans, that cooler I linked holds like 90+ beers. Maybe as few as 72, if you leave room for ice cubes. If you can't have a party with that, you should either see a doctor and get into detox, switch to hard liquor, or trade the cop car for a pickup.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 1, 2016

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I just traded my poor beater miata for a 96 Towncar. The driver side air spring is dead. Should I be looking at trying to revive the air suspension or just get a non-air conversion setup? Is it absolutely moronic to be shopping for limited slip diffs for this thing?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maksimus54 posted:

I just traded my poor beater miata for a 96 Towncar. The driver side air spring is dead. Should I be looking at trying to revive the air suspension or just get a non-air conversion setup? Is it absolutely moronic to be shopping for limited slip diffs for this thing?

The air suspension components aren't too expensive, IIRC from looking to convert my P71 (so I can bag the front and go low, of course). Given that it's just the one side, I imaging that it's not the compressor or controller, which are the expensive bits. What's left is the bag and the valve, I think.
See if you can tell if air is getting to the bag, and work from there.

Rearend should be the same as the same generation Crown Vic, so find you a cop car with limited slip. I've not researched it thoroughly, but a lot of years should fit, up to 2002. 2003 has the wider suspension requiring more positive offset, so the rearend is wider. May physically fit, but would require the later wheels in the back, or they stick out. May not fit due to other suspension changes.
Crownvic.net has been a useful resource for me.

edit:
This may be helpful on the air suspension.
http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Darchangel posted:

2003 has the wider suspension requiring more positive offset, so the rearend is wider. May physically fit, but would require the later wheels in the back, or they stick out. May not fit due to other suspension changes.
Springs and shocks moved as well IIRC.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Yep.
From this post:
"Year for year, the Town Car uses the same rear axle as the CV, GM and MM.

The rear axle housing was unchanged for 92-97, then updated w/ watts and parallel control arms and a little more width in 98, and for 03+ the shock mounts were moved over and the axle was made wider.

If the Town Car axle was a different width, how could it use the same axle service kit/axle shafts for the bearing wear TSB as the cv/gm/mm? ;\) ;\)

The Town Car limos used a 31 spline axle, however they were also the same width. (The Marauder does not use a 31 spline limo axle)

In 2005 all panthers went to the 31 spline axle, the 28 spline was dropped from most, if not all Ford 8.8" models."

That said, you may be able to interchange just the LSD unit, since they're all 8.8s. Not sure if any of the innards changed.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Just got another letter on the LCM issue: it's gone from "customer satisfaction program" to no-bullshit NHTSA Recall 15V-861. If it hasn't crapped out yet, they'll be contacting you shortly (when they get more of the modules in stock), if it has, hie thyself to a dealer immediately. If you've already had it done and paid for it, they might reimburse you (though I'm not sure of my chances of getting reimbursed for the third-party one I got off Amazon.)

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Yeah, the entire suspension was redesigned for '03. I think one of the guys on crownvic.net that does tech articles did a comparison, but I can't find his site (pretty sure it's linked in his sig, and I think his avatar was a picture of him pointing a hairdryer out the window, though, so read CVN enough and you'll find it. :v: )

Edit:

Darchangel posted:

That said, you may be able to interchange just the LSD unit, since they're all 8.8s. Not sure if any of the innards changed.
Did a bit of poking around (i.e., searched "Ford 8.8 posi" on Jegs.com), and it looks like they come in different flavors, mainly due to varying numbers of splines. So it's super-possible to swap out the guts, but you're going to need to have somebody look up the code from your axle tag in the big ol' book of codes (which I'm fairly sure at least one CVN member has access to), or pull a halfshaft and count the splines to make sure you get the right one. And then do the same on the donor axle, assuming you don't buy new. Though I'm not sure I'd want a used posi for a swap, it's only $500 for a new one. OTOH, that's probably approaching half the resale value of a '96 Towncar.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 3, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Marksimus, you may find this useful:
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2974193

They're talking about a 2011, but a lot of the info is good for across the range. Looks like 8.8 LSDs are cheap and common.

Delivery McGee posted:

Just got another letter on the LCM issue: it's gone from "customer satisfaction program" to no-bullshit NHTSA Recall 15V-861. If it hasn't crapped out yet, they'll be contacting you shortly (when they get more of the modules in stock), if it has, hie thyself to a dealer immediately. If you've already had it done and paid for it, they might reimburse you (though I'm not sure of my chances of getting reimbursed for the third-party one I got off Amazon.)

I got the letter for my 2005 CVPI last week. They're going to hate getting mine out - some of the alarm wiring is kind of tight around there. I hope they don't get weird about the flasher module bypass (LED tails and front signals.) Mine's still working fine - I was just going to do the external relay mod if it failed. Wonder if they will let me keep the "bad" one as a spare...
According to the letter, they will reimburse you if you've already had it fixed, if you saved the receipt. No mention of whether it had to be at a dealer or whatever. Worth a try.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to do free work on ex-cop cars with butchered wiring. Or if you replaced it yourself vs. having a shop do it. Guess I'll have to call Ford on my next day off and ask.

If you know a guy at the dealership, they'd probably let you do the swap yourself, it's literally one bolt and two plugs. Sadly my Ford-dealership-owning family friend retired 15 years ago and has probably been dead for ten.

Those of you who haven't hosed with the wiring, let the dealership do it, it's a pain in the rear end to actually get the thing out and especially back in -- I just kinda wedged the replacement up in there instead of sliding it back onto its rail.

Edit: gently caress it, it's Ford, they're 24 hours. Apparently they'll pay me, they just need the bit of paper that has the price on it. Also, the guy asked for the VIN, so apparently they're not automatically disqualifying cop cars.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 3, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Rearend should be the same as the same generation Crown Vic, so find you a cop car with limited slip. I've not researched it thoroughly, but a lot of years should fit, up to 2002. 2003 has the wider suspension requiring more positive offset, so the rearend is wider. May physically fit, but would require the later wheels in the back, or they stick out. May not fit due to other suspension changes.
Crownvic.net has been a useful resource for me.

I think it's funny seeing later model Vics with early model wheels, clearly sticking out a good inch beyond the fender, it looks ridiculous and I imagine it could be a bit stressful on the wheel bearings.

Also if you already have air ride and the bags are leaking just get new bags, it's easy as hell to replace them and having the self leveling feature is a nice feature to have when you load the trunk full of poo poo.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I went the lame route and converted to coil over. The air spring had been dead for a while and the other side seemed lower than it should have been. I also don't have a garage large enough to accommodate it so I had to take it to a friends shop this time. The entire suspension and steering system is original and showing extreme signs of wear. This will be the first time in 5 years I've paid for shop labor but I just don't have the space or time(Or skill) to do it myself.

I will be doing a full tuneup on it plus brakes. For the cost of parts it seems silly not to refresh as many wear items as possible.

Can't wait to get it back in tip top shape and do some serious roadtrips in it.

e. If it really bothers me down the road and I have the space I can always add air parts again.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
As an update I only had the rear done. I just ordered shocks and will order front up steering components next week. I would literally starve to death if I had to turn a wrench for a living but the learning experience is going to be worth doing the frontend myself. That and I spent most my money on a new bed so no cash for labor

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The call of the V8 barge is becoming to much to resist.

The dealer where my wife just traded her 08 Mazda 3 in for a 13 Ford Taurus SEL has a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 53K miles "ultimate edition".

Its drat near tempting to go for the couch on wheels, I know I can easily find a hitch to fit a panther car, its listed as air suspension equipped, no BT or aux jack in sight...

Whats the odds of having a factory LSD in a GM?

roof rails available?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

evilnissan posted:

roof rails available?
Slim to none (though possible, I suppose, and if any did the "ultimate should), and almost certainly not, respectively.

Surest way to check the axle is to crawl under and look at the little tag hanging off one of the diff cover bolts:

(stolen and rehosted from CVN)
It'd be unlikely that a GM would have anything other than 2 73, but a boy can dream. Now I want to go see what mine is, I've forgotten.

In other news, I found what may be the ultimate source of my misfiring left bank -- coolant leak where the aluminum crossover meets the plastic. No way to regasket it without pulling the intake :suicide: (the bolts, going up from the bottom, are beyond the ken of men with the intake on, y'see)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to do free work on ex-cop cars with butchered wiring. Or if you replaced it yourself vs. having a shop do it. Guess I'll have to call Ford on my next day off and ask.

If you know a guy at the dealership, they'd probably let you do the swap yourself, it's literally one bolt and two plugs. Sadly my Ford-dealership-owning family friend retired 15 years ago and has probably been dead for ten.

Those of you who haven't hosed with the wiring, let the dealership do it, it's a pain in the rear end to actually get the thing out and especially back in -- I just kinda wedged the replacement up in there instead of sliding it back onto its rail.

Edit: gently caress it, it's Ford, they're 24 hours. Apparently they'll pay me, they just need the bit of paper that has the price on it. Also, the guy asked for the VIN, so apparently they're not automatically disqualifying cop cars.

The wiring on mine isn't butchered - it still has all the factory connectors on the extra cop wiring as far as I can tell. I have spliced in a flasher for the LED signals, but I can put it back to factory in minutes if necessary. I would do it myself if they'd just give me the module, but I doubt that will happen.

Maksimus54 posted:

I went the lame route and converted to coil over. The air spring had been dead for a while and the other side seemed lower than it should have been. I also don't have a garage large enough to accommodate it so I had to take it to a friends shop this time. The entire suspension and steering system is original and showing extreme signs of wear. This will be the first time in 5 years I've paid for shop labor but I just don't have the space or time(Or skill) to do it myself.

I will be doing a full tuneup on it plus brakes. For the cost of parts it seems silly not to refresh as many wear items as possible.

Can't wait to get it back in tip top shape and do some serious roadtrips in it.

e. If it really bothers me down the road and I have the space I can always add air parts again.

The air bags are the cheap part. It's only expensive when the compressor or controller goes.
I'm sort of wanting to add the air ride to my CVPI, then get some of the RideTech front air coilovers. Those bastards are expensive, though.

evilnissan posted:

The call of the V8 barge is becoming to much to resist.

The dealer where my wife just traded her 08 Mazda 3 in for a 13 Ford Taurus SEL has a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 53K miles "ultimate edition".

Its drat near tempting to go for the couch on wheels, I know I can easily find a hitch to fit a panther car, its listed as air suspension equipped, no BT or aux jack in sight...

roof rails available?

Hitch is pretty cheap, too. I went with a Curt from Amazon, on Prime, even. Tucks up nicely. Wiring is a bit more tricky, because of the LCM, you need to use an isolating adapter. I just used relays, since the cop cars have the old-style turn/brake lights rather than the separate turn signals on the standard model. Tapped in to the wiring up near the left trunk hinge just so it all went to one place, other than the battery wire.
Head unit is easy to replace, and a double DIN will reportedly fit in your year. It's an issue in earlier than 2003 or 4, because, while the face is double-DIN, the actual radio necks down quickly to single DIN at the rear of it. I went with a single DIN Pioneer mechless unit in a dash kit. Sonic Electronix has good prices and includes dash and harness adapters.

Delivery McGee handled the LSD part. You could always see if it'll lay a patch on the test drive...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had no idea how horrible the side crash test ratings are for Panthers. My wife looked it up on a whim because she loves Vics and has been serious about her next car having good to excellent ratings....Back to the drawing board :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

I had no idea how horrible the side crash test ratings are for Panthers. My wife looked it up on a whim because she loves Vics and has been serious about her next car having good to excellent ratings....Back to the drawing board :(

It's pretty bad. Jack Baruth's family got big-time hosed up in his Town Car a few years ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah this kind of intrusion at 30 mph is unacceptable. I was shocked, especially when adding curtain air bags on later years did basically nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI2ctRRtQXo

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

leica posted:

It kinda got lost in the media frenzy over how they're deathtraps when hit from behind ... by an 18-wheeler doing 70+mph, when the trunk is full of long pointy stuff.

The Pinto had a legitimate problem, the Crown Vic not so much. But the statistics made it look bad, when in truth Highway Patrolman Georg, who gets hit from behind by a semi 10,000 times a day, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Delivery McGee posted:

It kinda got lost in the media frenzy over how they're deathtraps when hit from behind ... by an 18-wheeler doing 70+mph, when the trunk is full of long pointy stuff.

The Pinto had a legitimate problem, the Crown Vic not so much. But the statistics made it look bad, when in truth Highway Patrolman Georg, who gets hit from behind by a semi 10,000 times a day, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

Yeah, when I first heard a statistic along the lines of 'the ford crown vic is the car that has resulted in the most fatalities when hit from behind while parked', my first question was "what car is most likely to be parked next to high speed traffic?"

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Delivery McGee posted:

Every unibody Ford and Mercury up till then had that problem, the Pinto was the only one that got called out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

My wife and I got rear ended in our '97 Vic. Hit so hard the radio was on the floor. Car got totaled, and my wife had to have her spine fused in her neck. We were lucky because we only got hit at 40mph, any faster and it could have been a lot worse. If there was active head restraint my wife might have been fine.

That being said, I wasn't talking about rear or front collisions, look at the side impact at 30mph and tell me how you feel about that.

I love Panthers, but it's time for me to move on from them when there are so many safer options. It's too bad, but it is what it is if safety is a concern.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Wow, that's pretty surprising it fares that badly. I looked up my little sub-compact and it earned a "good" rating for that same side impact test (probably largely thanks to all the airbags).

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crossposting someone's question from the question thread

Cage posted:

My dad has an 09 grand marquis, and the auto climate control system stopped working on him. He only gets hot air, the AC lines are ice cold and when we do the self test dianostic it points us to a blend door code. After he performs the self test, the AC will work for between 30 seconds and 3 minutes afterwards, and then you can hear the blend door move back and we get a blast of hot air. It first happened a few weeks ago, and when he did the self test it fixed it until now. Hes done it probably 20 times and every time it eventually switches back to full heat.

Tearing down the dashboard to get to the part is at least a full day job. Figure these cars were selling mostly unchanged for long enough that someone else had this issue. Is there somehow an easier way to rig something up to manually move the blend door himself?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cPMbdTpC9Tw

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 24, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crossposting someone's question from the question thread
Ha, thats funny I just saw this thread and was about to post. Was super confused about seeing the yellow highlight for a second. Thanks, friend!

If you have to take everything off like that anyway, I wonder if it would be worth it to replace the blend door actuator, and then still install the cable for when it will probably fail again.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 24, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are taking the whole dash apart and removing the old blend door actuator it doesn't take much longer to put the new one in. The part was about $40 when I replaced it. Inside the plastic gears were stripped and I could hear it turning but it would get stuck on cold most of the time for me. The hardest part is really getting the last screw off the old blend door actuator, but you can just bend it till it cracks and pull it off after the first two screws are gone.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone have any good diagrams of disassembling the dashboard? My dad got a real good start taking things off, but we're not sure now where the rest of the bolts are to peel the dashboard back. Should I look at picking up a chilton/haynes manual?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well we got through it.

Next project I think we have to replace his entire windshield washer reservoir because the sensor stopped working and says its always empty.

And then the problem where he fills it up with gas and the digital gauge doesn't register it.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cage posted:

Well we got through it.

Next project I think we have to replace his entire windshield washer reservoir because the sensor stopped working and says its always empty.

And then the problem where he fills it up with gas and the digital gauge doesn't register it.

Geez for an 09 GM, that thing is having its share of issues. Is the washer sensor in the pump or separate?

Unrelated: my Marauder belched out its 2nd spark plug in 3 years. I cheapo helicoiled the first one, and it's holding, but barely. Both belches resulted in the plug detonating upwards into the coil boot, destroying the boot and coil. I decided that before buying new heads I would try the official approved Ford repair with Timesert kit 5553 ($$$) on the latest belch. It was frightening to ream metal out of my head, but after inspecting my work with a USB cam, it looked beautiful. I put it back together and she's purring again.

Fun facts I learned during the process:
The stock heads have 4 (four) threads to grab the spark plug. (Timesert 5553 gives you only one or two more, but they're steel, with loctite and 10+ threads of their own)
The stock spark plug torque-spec is 11 (eleven) foot-pounds, which is barely more than finger-tight. I'm sure I'm the reason it was belching plugs.

Ok I ran out of fun facts fast. I'm going to Timesert the rest of my spark plug holes this summer so I don't have to deal with this again. Thanks for reading and god bless~

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The washer sensor is built into the entire reservoir I believe. My dad got sick of resetting the low warning so I think its unplugged for the time being, but its only $25 or so for a new reservoir so eventually we'd like to fix it.

The gas guage will eventually go up, but it takes a few starts of the engine until it happens.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Somehow my '01 CVPI randomly lost high beams :v:

Low beams work fine, but as soon as I click the stalk to high beams both headlights immediately go out. Leave them on low, everything's fine. Flash to pass also doesn't work, they just stay low rather than do low + high. Pulled the bulbs and the filaments seem fine, so I'm guessing either a fuse somewhere is fried or the LCM might be going out. All the other lights work, no issues with turn signals or brake lights or anything like that. Gonna be fun to chase down this gremlin :v:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

T1g4h posted:

Somehow my '01 CVPI randomly lost high beams :v:

Low beams work fine, but as soon as I click the stalk to high beams both headlights immediately go out. Leave them on low, everything's fine. Flash to pass also doesn't work, they just stay low rather than do low + high. Pulled the bulbs and the filaments seem fine, so I'm guessing either a fuse somewhere is fried or the LCM might be going out. All the other lights work, no issues with turn signals or brake lights or anything like that. Gonna be fun to chase down this gremlin :v:

Your LCM might still be covered by "customer satsfaction" program 14N01. Drop your VIN into here and see if there is an LCM notice: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Your LCM might still be covered by "customer satsfaction" program 14N01. Drop your VIN into here and see if there is an LCM notice: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

Unfortunately the only one that comes up is 02B02, aka "OPTIONAL CVPI UPGRADE PROGRAM-VEHICLE MUST BE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT DUTY-VERIFY LAWENFORCEMEN ", which is apparently just a fuel tank shield thing. Ah well, worst case I can drop it off with the family friend who fixed it before v:shobon:v

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I've still got a V6. The two cylinders nearest the driver (7 and 8? I forget the numbering) aren't firing at all. I've replaced the coils and plugs to no avail. Is it more likely to be the wiring or the ECU itself that's broken? How do I diagnose that?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Delivery McGee posted:

I've still got a V6. The two cylinders nearest the driver (7 and 8? I forget the numbering) aren't firing at all. I've replaced the coils and plugs to no avail. Is it more likely to be the wiring or the ECU itself that's broken? How do I diagnose that?

Can you test the wires to the coils? And I don't remember the history: are the fuel injectors ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can you test the wires to the coils? And I don't remember the history: are the fuel injectors ok?

Got a new multimeter today (old $5 Harbor Freight special crapped out; I got the fancy HF one this time :v: ), so I plan to at least check continuity in the morning (when it's not so fuckin' hot). Where's the other end of the wires? Presumably at the ECU, but where is that?

Not sure how to check the injectors, but the car smells of gas after a drive, stronger at the back, so I'm guessing they're working.

Also the windows on the passenger side don't work (the front one worked intermittently, then stopped, and the back one stopped working somewhat later). Is there a common failure point for that wiring, or am I damned to tear the entire interior apart trying to find the break?