Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The digimon game is good and I like the characters so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're great. Howard's Conan is intelligent, speaks a dozen dead languages, successfully leads armies and dresses sensibly. It's dumb that Frazetta's Beefy McMuscleslab Loinclothman depiction is what stuck with comic book artists. :(

You can be a melancholic wise warrior king even when you still look like a perfectly chisled bronze god. Hell, he's described as beefy as hell all the time so frazetta isn't wrong.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

it's weird to see people complaining about JRPGs not having dubs. I get it, but it's like I've fallen into a mirror world.

Yeah, I'd rather nothing than a really half assed dub, but there have been some really good ones recently that have made me hope for English dubs with new releases

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're great. Howard's Conan is intelligent, speaks a dozen dead languages, successfully leads armies and dresses sensibly. It's dumb that Frazetta's Beefy McMuscleslab Loinclothman depiction is what stuck with comic book artists. :(
Howard's writing has this real weight to it too, like you're reading these ancient accounts that've been transcribed into English. They take themselves very seriously, but it's a very regal, dignified self-seriousness. At certain points it even reminds me of reading stuff like the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Odyssey.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TsCS9LF2c

I want to somehow give these weird creatures a hug :3:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't mind Conan being portrayed as a Big McLargehuge muscle man cause the dude's pretty gnarly, but I regret most people play/write barbarians as idiots while Conan himself is pretty on the level.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TsCS9LF2c

I want to somehow give these weird creatures a hug :3:

i'm not sure they'd appreciate a hug

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's the wisdom you get by fighting as a mercenary/working as a thief for decades

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erg posted:

Yeah, I'd rather nothing than a really half assed dub, but there have been some really good ones recently that have made me hope for English dubs with new releases

same, though for some reason I'm easy to please when it comes to game dubs.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Best ship of 2015.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

i'm not sure they'd appreciate a hug

I bet they'd love it! I mean, I bet they'd just be stoked that I wasn't actively trying to eat them at the time but I think I'll practise on this thing first

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

That will be enough posting about Sex Criminals.

fine them im gonna post about southern bastards a book about small southern towns and football and crime and being hung up on the only glory you ever had a chance at

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
southern bastards is a book about small southern towns and football and crime and being hung up on the only glory you ever had a chance at

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

several runs are just straight adaptions of the books with the smart rogueish conan though

Which runs are they? I want to read them.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't mind Conan being portrayed as a Big McLargehuge muscle man cause the dude's pretty gnarly, but I regret most people play/write barbarians as idiots while Conan himself is pretty on the level.

Yeah, it's not the beefiness that annoys me so much as the Conan = barbarian = loincloth-wearing idiot thing. Conan spends his time getting out of situations through a combination of wits, agility and chopping people with a sword.

I don't know if I'd compare Howard to old-timey epics but I do agree his writing has weight to it, especially compared to Lovecraft, who's just not a good writer (in addition to all the racism). I was really surprised when I read both Howard and Heinlein around the same time - I went into them expecting really dry writing and it turns out their writing actually flows really well, even today.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

have you ever read the dark horse run by uhhhh i wanna say busiek? the one that was like half straight adaptations of howard's stories and really got that conan is smart as hell

plus the second page of the comic is conan cutting a rapist in half so that's cool, and the rogues in the house adaptation owned hard

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Which runs are they? I want to read them.

Yeah, it's not the beefiness that annoys me so much as the Conan = barbarian = loincloth-wearing idiot thing. Conan spends his time getting out of situations through a combination of wits, agility and chopping people with a sword.

I don't know if I'd compare Howard to old-timey epics but I do agree his writing has weight to it, especially compared to Lovecraft, who's just not a good writer (in addition to all the racism). I was really surprised when I read both Howard and Heinlein around the same time - I went into them expecting really dry writing and it turns out their writing actually flows really well, even today.

lovecraft is overrated but he's not a bad writer per se. his dream quest stuff was good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That tale of the town where cats ate a bunch of people who msitreated kitties and everyone in town now treated cats well

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

southern bastards is a book about small southern towns and football and crime and being hung up on the only glory you ever had a chance at
Every small town sports movie ever, plus or minus the crime aspect.

have you ever read the dark horse run by uhhhh i wanna say busiek? the one that was like half straight adaptations of howard's stories and really got that conan is smart as hell

plus the second page of the comic is conan cutting a rapist in half so that's cool, and the rogues in the house adaptation owned hard
I haven't, but it sounds like I should.

Where does the Conan movie with Arnie fit into all this? I haven't seen it and don't know much about it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

i remember when KCB wanted to join a d&d game one of her friends was running but the dm refused to let her be a barbarian who was looking for knowledge and had the ability to read because "that's not what barbarians are! they aren't smart, you can't be a smart barbarian, it doesn't make sense!!!" lmao

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

lovecraft is overrated but he's not a bad writer per se. his dream quest stuff was good

i like the ideas lovecraht had, but i think he wasn't very good at executing them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That tale of the town where cats ate a bunch of people who msitreated kitties and everyone in town now treated cats well
i liked the first dungeon in shadow hearts where cats ate all the people, gained the ability to masquerade as humans, and sacrifice passerby to their dark god

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

i remember when KCB wanted to join a d&d game one of her friends was running but the dm refused to let her be a barbarian who was looking for knowledge and had the ability to read because "that's not what barbarians are! they aren't smart, you can't be a smart barbarian, it doesn't make sense!!!" lmao

That's so lame.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I can't remember but did Busiek just straight up use Howard's prose for narration?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, just that it reminded me of them. It's a chord Tolkien manages to strike from time to time as well.

I've never read anything by Lovecraft.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Where does the Conan movie with Arnie fit into all this? I haven't seen it and don't know much about it.

it's a kull story actually lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Droyer posted:

i like the ideas lovecraht had, but i think he wasn't very good at executing them

Just like Kinoko Nasu

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nitro+ Heroines is a dumb idea to begin with but for whatever reason Ruili seems a particularly dumb character to include.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

That's dumb.

I have a document full of weird/novel character ideas I'd like to try someday. Gonna stick the savvy barbarian in there for future reference along with the kung fu wizard and the possessed sword.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

Every small town sports movie ever, plus or minus the crime aspect.

nah this is explicitly "poo poo is hosed up and toxic and sad" which is usually not part of the small town sports movie

the first arc is v much Walking Tall: The Comic but then the apparent protagonist is beaten to death with his own club by the local football coach slash crime boss and suddenly the coach becomes the focus of the book

it's super good, the second arc is fantastic

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just like Kinoko Nasu

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parallax posted:

I can't remember but did Busiek just straight up use Howard's prose for narration?

for the ones that are straight adaptations yes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yah iirc it was the dark horse run that just straight up adapted the prose, often it just quoted and illustrated the stories. years ago i downloaded a collection that curated only the straight up adaptions, but i have no idea where i found it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That's so lame.

it really was, cause apparently the version they were playing even had rules for handling barbarians that try to take literacy and stuff but the dm (a guy who insisted on being called "The Darkness") was all "no way barbarians are dumb it doesn't fit in my campaign for barbarians to ever want to be smart, it makes absolutely no sense for a barbarian to ever decide to seek knowledge"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Play Exalted instead

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

the commentary rules, so far my opinion on the movie. arnie is a very funny guy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

I haven't, but it sounds like I should.

its this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_(Dark_Horse_Comics)#Conan

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

That's dumb.

I have a document full of weird/novel character ideas I'd like to try someday. Gonna stick the savvy barbarian in there for future reference along with the kung fu wizard and the possessed sword.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Davincie posted:

yah iirc it was the dark horse run that just straight up adapted the prose, often it just quoted and illustrated the stories. years ago i downloaded a collection that curated only the straight up adaptions, but i have no idea where i found it

that whole run is super good and worth readin tho and its only 50 issues

that's like, a couple days of reading tops

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

nah this is explicitly "poo poo is hosed up and toxic and sad" which is usually not part of the small town sports movie

the first arc is v much Walking Tall: The Comic but then the apparent protagonist is beaten to death with his own club by the local football coach slash crime boss and suddenly the coach becomes the focus of the book

it's super good, the second arc is fantastic
I figured it wasn't exactly the same, it's just a vein I've seen running through a lot of those movies like Friday Night Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

I figured it wasn't exactly the same, it's just a vein I've seen running through a lot of those movies like Friday Night Lights.

yeah that's kinda the thing that it's playing off of, that most stories about that sort of thing are glorifying it and feel good bullshit

and then this comes along and goes "uh actually no it sucks a lot and is bad for you" and is a good story to boot. check out the first two trades (they're all that's out so far i think? i know #13 just dropped but idk if that's in trade 3 or 4)

• Locked thread