Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

euphronius posted:

The first dune novel is a classic and you can read it in a night.

?? It's like 600 pages I guess if you have nothing else going on.

Thanks for the podcast link.

Also, i don't want to see any spoilers, but are any books past the first one worth reading? I've heard the second is basically a conclusion to the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
"Jakku is just like Tatooine" is such a confusing argument to make? They're both deserts, but all the stuff in the desert is different and means something different in the narrative. Tatooine's desert is home to wild and seedy port cities, gangster palaces, space chariot races watched by huge crowds, homestead farms and wholesome families. Tatooine is definitely a backwater and on the fringes of the Empire, but Jakku is even more marginal-- both of the settlements we see are like a step away from just being camps, and the desert landscape is dominated by the detritus of history-- the ramshackle villages dwarfed by the toppled AT-ATs and a Star Destroyer sinking into the sand.

Jakku doesn't look like Tatooine, because Jakku looks like this:

Tatooine has a ship half-buried in sand, too, but by the time we see it it's been swallowed up by the thriving city that surrounds it:

Tinkering with your T-16 and drinking blue milk on Tatooine, scavenging a dead monument to the past for a quarter portion on Jakku. Going to Anchorhead to pick up some power converters on Tatooine, scratching another tally-mark in the rusted out Imperial walker that's basically your jail cell on Jakku. Luke and Rey start their stories in a similar place-- longing for something else but feeling tied to the desert by a family obligation. But the differences between those deserts start to illuminate the differences between those stories.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Also, i don't want to see any spoilers, but are any books past the first one worth reading? I've heard the second is basically a conclusion to the first book.

Read through God Emperor.

The quality is good throughout but if you want you can safely stop after the first.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

I read the three after it and the goodness of the books follows an exponential decay such that the fourth book in the series is garbage and I couldn't even finish it. It gets fuckin weird. But I was like 15 when I tried, so who knows.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The other books are kinda more of the same, I don't think I went too far into the third one before I stopped. You only really need the first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heretics and Chapterhouse fell into that creepy old sci-fi writer abyss.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but God Emperor is so loving fantastically wierd and cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Yeah but God Emperor is so loving fantastically wierd and cool.

Agreed, the first four are amazing.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Effectronica posted:

I'm really proud of how I keep earplugs in my ears and a blindfold over my eyes, because that keeps me away from having to view "pompous gibberish."

The Tezzor method will finally liberate Star Wars Fans from the terrible burden of thinking.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, alright. I'll read Dune. I was planning on getting a library card soon anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Without tezzor dune wouldn't have came up just another blessing from our God my man tezz

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's safe to say both sides are up our own collective asses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

It's safe to say both sides are up our own collective asses.

Maybe but at least everyone can agree that David lynchs Dune is a masterpiece.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Alright, alright. I'll read Dune. I was planning on getting a library card soon anyway.

after you read it definitely watch the david lynch dune with kyle maclachlan (and sting!); it's an incredibly bizarre adaptation that rules

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't tell if this thread is reaching apotheosis or bottoming out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffles Inc. posted:

after you read it definitely watch the david lynch dune with kyle maclachlan (and sting!); it's an incredibly bizarre adaptation that rules

It's hilarious how much the ending misses the point though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Maybe but at least everyone can agree that David lynchs Dune is a masterpiece.

hell no.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digiwizzard posted:

The Tezzor method will finally liberate Star Wars Fans from the terrible burden of thinking.

Imagining connections that do not exist is but a small subset of thinking, one frequently associated with the mentally ill. Once you recognize this it will help you a lot. If you cannot I'm sure there will remain many posters willing to Show You The Life Of The Mind

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Child flinches in screen.

This does not exist.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Tezzor posted:

Imagining connections that do not exist

- literally all of fiction ever written

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

euphronius posted:

Child flinches in script

Fixed :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas !!!!:argh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This whole thread has been worthwhile because we got a guy to read Dune.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

euphronius posted:

Child flinches in screen.

This does not exist.

He does not clearly flinch at all, actually. Please post your rebuttal in the form of a long image made up of various grainy screenshots and references to freemasonry linked together with red lines and no less than three different fonts

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

This whole thread has been worthwhile because we got a guy to read Dune.

this is the truth

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In A New Hope, Tatooine has the sandy plains, the treacherous rocky areas, and the town. The geographic relationships are all clear: the sandy plains are on one side, and the town is in the other. Luke lives in the plains. Obiwan lives in the rocks. R2 heads to the rocks to find Obiwan. C3PO heads the wrong way, away from the rocks, and gets captured. Luke has to move out of the plains, and travel through the rocks to get to the town.

In Jakku, there is the sand, the sand, and the sand. It is difficult or impossible to tell where Max Von Sydow's cozy small town is in relation to the all-consuming quicksand pit, where the quicksand pit is in relation to the battlefield.

BB and FN are wandering aimlessly. There is no thematic reason for them to end up in the market, as opposed to C3PO choosing to stay in the sand, searching for a distant light that turns out to be a trap. The one story functions as metaphor.

A similar problem affects the rest of the film. Where is the snowy forest in relation to the interocitor... pit? Why do the characters run into the snowy forest after Solo dies? They know the planet's going to blow up soon. Shouldn't they be headed back to the Falcon? Do the Resistance guys know/care that they're stuck down there?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWu1kclNDA

It's a great vision into a crazy movie that never got made but was still super influential. Jodorowsky later then took many of these ideas and made the Incal series with Moebius.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whining that Jakku is a desert like Tatooine is pretty silly, considering that there looks to be an actual reason to drop Rey off on a dead planet. Anakin is on Tatooine because Tatooine is a safe location to remind people that it's Star Wars.

Neither are an actual problem, it's just more of the bizarre and contrived narrative that Disney is strangling the living embodiment of risk and creativity.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A similar problem affects the rest of the film. Where is the snowy forest in relation to the interocitor... pit? Why do the characters run into the snowy forest after Solo dies? They know the planet's going to blow up soon. Shouldn't they be headed back to the Falcon? Do the Resistance guys know/care that they're stuck down there?

They run into the forest because they are trying to escape back to the falcon. We see in every wide shot that there are forests all over the planet surrounding all the key buildings. Ren stops them from escaping back to the Falcon. The resistance knows & cares about them, which is why after Chewy rescues Rey & Finn with the Falcon and flies off, Poe comes up behind them and says "I got eyes on them!" and everyone cheers, because they were looking for them in the aftermath of the Oscillator explosion.

This is just all the basic on screen text of the movie.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I really can't wait for the blu-ray comes out. So many of the complaints come down to "I didn't notice that..." or "we dont get enough characterization of..." or "you can't show me any good shots TFA has..." that would easily be shot down with some luxurious hi-def frames.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

They run into the forest because they are trying to escape back to the falcon. We see in every wide shot that there are forests all over the planet surrounding all the key buildings. Ren stops them from escaping back to the Falcon. The resistance knows & cares about them, which is why after Chewy rescues Rey & Finn with the Falcon and flies off, Poe comes up behind them and says "I got eyes on them!" and everyone cheers, because they were looking for them in the aftermath of the Oscillator explosion.

Didn't the falcon come to a stop on the edge of a cliff? This isn't an ideological debate I actually don't remember

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWu1kclNDA

It's a great vision into a crazy movie that never got made but was still super influential. Jodorowsky later then took many of these ideas and made the Incal series with Moebius.

This was such a glorious documentary! Without Jodorowsky's failed project there would not be some of the bigger science fiction movies.

EDIT: My own intro to the Dune universe was Dune 2 for the PC - a glorious RTS that basically paved the way for all games in the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcogUiz3yFk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

interocitor

Like who doesn't have an interocitor?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Whining that Jakku is a desert like Tatooine is pretty silly, considering that there looks to be an actual reason to drop Rey off on a dead planet. Anakin is on Tatooine because Tatooine is a safe location to remind people that it's Star Wars.

This is a good example of the strangeness going on.

With the one film, you presume the imagery has a meaning, though you are uncertain as to what it may be. You presume that the meaning will be revealed to you later.

With another film, you presume that the imagery is meaningless, and express certainty that it is a product of cynical ulterior motives.

In both cases, you are avoiding the movie that is directly in front of you.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Didn't the falcon come to a stop on the edge of a cliff? This isn't an ideological debate I actually don't remember

Right: the Falcon is parked outside the forest. I don't recall there being a forest between the Falcon and the interocitor... pit. And how would Ren know where the Falcon is? Do you think he 'used the force'? 'Cause that's not how the force works!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 3, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: the Falcon is parked outside the forest. I don't recall there being a forest between the Falcon and the interocitor... pit. And how would Ren know where the Falcon is? Do you think he 'used the force'? 'Cause that's not how the force works!

The Falcon is not parked near the oscillator. It is parked near the building that they use to get the shields shut off. Ren doesn't need to know where the Falcon is to stop Finn & rey, he just needs to know where they are, which is easy with the force? Of course the force could also tell him where the Falcon is, as the force has united many people with inanimate objects over the course of the movies, literally guiding them. But again, that doesn't matter, because he hears/senses Rey and goes after her and not the falcon. They take a speeder from the shield entrance to the oscillator, which you see in the shot of Finn & Rey climbing the ladder to the upper catwalk area. There is a deleted scene of Ren searching the falcon after it lands. And a deleted scene of Finn+Rey on the speeder fighting stormtroopers

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 3, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Jakku is actually great. The fact that it's a desert isn't a problem—it's meant to visually link Rey to our previous protagonists, Anakin and Luke. And the graveyard of huge Imperial ships is a really clever visual cue. The crashed Star Destroyers are a monument to the Rebellion's victory, and yet we see Rey and other scavengers eking out a terrible life, fighting over the forgotten junk from a bygone era.

It's a setting that tells us in purely visual language that the Rebels have won the war, but the true fight isn't over yet. The new generation has to solve the next problem: how do we clean up this mess?

Now if there is a failure in creativity among the planets of TFA, it's that Takodana and D'Qar are so indistinct. Maybe their visual similarities mean something, but if so I haven't figured out what that is.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zoran posted:

Jakku is actually great. The fact that it's a desert isn't a problem—it's meant to visually link Rey to our previous protagonists, Anakin and Luke. And the graveyard of huge Imperial ships is a really clever visual cue. The crashed Star Destroyers are a monument to the Rebellion's victory, and yet we see Rey and other scavengers eking out a terrible life, fighting over the forgotten junk from a bygone era.

It's a setting that tells us in purely visual language that the Rebels have won the war, but the true fight isn't over yet. The new generation has to solve the next problem: how do we clean up this mess?

Now if there is a failure in creativity among the planets of TFA, it's that Takodana and D'Qar are so indistinct. Maybe their visual similarities mean something, but if so I haven't figured out what that is.

Which one is D'Qar? Is that the Starkiller planet?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Jakku is my favorite star wars planet.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Waffles Inc. posted:

D'Qar is the Resistance base planet, a verdant forest world with some beige stone buildings. In the distance, there are mountains shrouded in mist.

Takodana is the Maz Kanata planet, a verdant forest world with a lake and some beige stone buildings. In the distance, there are mountains shrouded in mist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffles Inc. posted:

The one with the Resistance base.

efb. But to add a little more, I didn't realize the base was on a different planet from Maz's fortress until my second viewing. They are remarkably similar.

• Locked thread