Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i've always wanted crabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

It's time to buy a bucket of crabs and then use those crabs to scoop butt meat from other larger crabs. Completing the circle of life.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Now that's a nice sale. Urbanmechs, Crabs, and Banshees, ohmy.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i might take a gamble and use some of my remaining mc on the st. ives blue

plz overquirk the vindicators

Norithiel
Aug 4, 2006

8U
I just downloaded this game today! Can I get an invite to [GIRL]? I'm Arycka in-game. :)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Oh poo poo. Should I get Enforcers, or Crabs? I have an incurable fetish for mediums :negative:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The upcoming nova rescale isn't going to fix that 'mech. After all is said and done, it's still going to have bad gun mounts, no tank, and will still give up 9 tons to every other 50 ton 'mech in the game while not having 9 tons worth of quirks.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

novaSphere posted:

Oh poo poo. Should I get Enforcers, or Crabs? I have an incurable fetish for mediums :negative:

There is only one answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afo3kMRV2ms

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gently caress. I just got into Crabs like last week and bought my third variant yesterday. :argh: The CRB-27SL was particularly expensive, but it is fantastic.

Are Enforcers worth getting? I'm liking 50 tonners right now for some reason.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Maybe they'll redesign the Nova so it's holding its arms straight up in the air

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Good thing I got the refund on the blackjack my daughter accidentally bought me - so I can use them sweet funds on a new Crab

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tujague posted:

Maybe they'll redesign the Nova so it's holding its arms straight up in the air

And shave off 30 tons, downgrade the engine to a 200XL, and give it MASC? I'm on board for that!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Damnit. Crabs and Dazzle Camo both go on sale a week after I buy them.

Also Urbanmechs do not have dazzle camo :(

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The base "camo" for the Crab is fine. Just slap reds and browns on it and you've got a genuine crab.

I nabbed the HBK-IIC-B and turned it into clan HBK-4SP with jump jets. poo poo is great. 10/10

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Crabs and Urbies! Ooh yeah!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I am disappointed that isn't a Danger Close sale.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

The base "camo" for the Crab is fine. Just slap reds and browns on it and you've got a genuine crab.

Nah, black and yellow and you have some crazy sort of crab-bee. Or possibly a bee-crab.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, black and yellow and you have some crazy sort of crab-bee. Or possibly a bee-crab.

Crab swarm. If only there was a way to latch onto another mech with the claws and drag it down...

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
We must petition PGI to make a Dazzle Camo for the Urbanmech for this sale.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Should be this:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Talmonis posted:

The recent spate of LRM heavy matches, and my newfound love of the C-Small Pulse laser, has brought me to this mobile pain in the rear end.

Nova Denial

I'm wondering if I should keep the Tag & targeting computer, or just stack two more tons of AMS ammo.

I (un)ironically keep my third Nova kitted out this way. Start with the 10 SPL build, pare off three heatsinks for 3 AMS and 1.5 tons of ammo. Shave another heatsink (or armor) for more ammo if you're feeling brave.

Runs hot as balls but not so much worse than the regular 10SPL nova that it's unplayable, and triple AMS with 15% fire rate and 25% range (if you use the module) is occasionally hilarious.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Olesh posted:

I (un)ironically keep my third Nova kitted out this way. Start with the 10 SPL build, pare off three heatsinks for 3 AMS and 1.5 tons of ammo. Shave another heatsink (or armor) for more ammo if you're feeling brave.

Runs hot as balls but not so much worse than the regular 10SPL nova that it's unplayable, and triple AMS with 15% fire rate and 25% range (if you use the module) is occasionally hilarious.

Ah yes, the gently caress Polar Highlands Nova

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

The Saddest Robot posted:

Damnit. Crabs and Dazzle Camo both go on sale a week after I buy them.

Also Urbanmechs do not have dazzle camo :(
Did you notice that PGI were using your colour scheme as well?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Give me meh bay sales again

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

Did you notice that PGI were using your colour scheme as well?

PGI is gang stalking me and stealing my ideas.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Robot posted:

PGI is gang stalking me and stealing my ideas.

Tell them to put in a hundred ton garbage can already

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Remember fellow goons that the Zeus is a good and fun mech!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The upcoming nova rescale isn't going to fix that 'mech. After all is said and done, it's still going to have bad gun mounts, no tank, and will still give up 9 tons to every other 50 ton 'mech in the game while not having 9 tons worth of quirks.

9 tons? The hard locked jump jets are 2.5 (and gently caress it up), and the 4 locked DHS bring that to 6.5 (although I would argue that they aren't a horrible thing on that mech), but i'm not sure what you mean by "give up 9 tons here", although I might very well be missing something having never owned one. It's obviously still a ~bad mech~, just wanted to clarify

For that matter, there seems to be an extremely high correlation between "clan mechs with component locked jump jets that have no open omnipod" and "clan mechs that are bad":

Executioner: Double gimped by forced Jumpjets and MASC
Summoner: has less free tonnage than the lighter hellbringer, and low hard point options making fitting it well a challenge.
Nova: Gimpy arm locations, and slower than the heavier stormcrow in exchange for having the ability to fit a stupid about of c-spls allowing you to alpha strike and die.
Shadow Cat: Arguably a good mech, although requires the enemy to be distracted to do well
Kit Fox: Technically doesn't fit this category, but cannot use ballistic side torso pods without jump jets, and while mgs suck that just makes them even more terrible in this case.
Mist Lynx: Fragile, lovely hard point options (ECM arm has no weapon slots!), No hard points outside arms, and slower than many mediums despite all this. a loving bad mech that I hate (and own)
Arctic Cheetah: The only unarguably good mech of this bunch, and even then only because of how powerful c-spls are.

I was worried that this same logic would gently caress the Kodiak, but as I understand it it will have fitting options akin to the origin mechs, thank christ.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coolwhoami posted:

9 tons? The hard locked jump jets are 2.5 (and gently caress it up), and the 4 locked DHS bring that to 6.5 (although I would argue that they aren't a horrible thing on that mech), but i'm not sure what you mean by "give up 9 tons here", although I might very well be missing something having never owned one. It's obviously still a ~bad mech~, just wanted to clarify

For that matter, there seems to be an extremely high correlation between "clan mechs with component locked jump jets that have no open omnipod" and "clan mechs that are bad":

Executioner: Double gimped by forced Jumpjets and MASC
Summoner: has less free tonnage than the lighter hellbringer, and low hard point options making fitting it well a challenge.
Nova: Gimpy arm locations, and slower than the heavier stormcrow in exchange for having the ability to fit a stupid about of c-spls allowing you to alpha strike and die.
Shadow Cat: Arguably a good mech, although requires the enemy to be distracted to do well
Kit Fox: Technically doesn't fit this category, but cannot use ballistic side torso pods without jump jets, and while mgs suck that just makes them even more terrible in this case.
Mist Lynx: Fragile, lovely hard point options (ECM arm has no weapon slots!), No hard points outside arms, and slower than many mediums despite all this. a loving bad mech that I hate (and own)
Arctic Cheetah: The only unarguably good mech of this bunch, and even then only because of how powerful c-spls are.

I was worried that this same logic would gently caress the Kodiak, but as I understand it it will have fitting options akin to the origin mechs, thank christ.

Almost every medium mech will have endo steel, which is another 2.5 tons for the nova.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Baudin posted:

Remember fellow goons that the Zeus is a good and fun mech!

What do you use on it? It looks hella tanky but I can't find a fit that seems like it would do damage

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Almost every medium mech will have endo steel, which is another 2.5 tons for the nova.

Ahh yep, that was it. I'll argue that that locked DHS aren't terrible given the minimal fitting options, but that certainly reduces your overall flexible tonnage by 9 tons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coolwhoami posted:

Ahh yep, that was it. I'll argue that that locked DHS aren't terrible given the minimal fitting options, but that certainly reduces your overall flexible tonnage by 9 tons.

They're literally useless if you want to make any sort of ballistic or missile build, not that the Nova gets enough missile slots to make an effective SRM boat, but if it had those 9 tons back, it could be a credible dakka boat.

edit: The Hunchback IIc makes the nova complete obsolete right now.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 3, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Crabs are infuriating to fight against but all the variants are so same-ey I don't know which ones to get. The 20 and 27SL seem like nobrainers due to a high engine cap and JJs (respectively), but I don't know what else I'd want. Probably doesn't actually matter?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

teepo posted:

i might take a gamble and use some of my remaining mc on the st. ives blue

plz overquirk the vindicators

lmao are you serious

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The Jenner IIC has been really fun, backstabbing an assault to death is so drat satisfying. I've actually got a decent hanger of mechs at this point, looking into new medium and assaults. Will grab the Crab tomorrow, what's the opinion on Banshee vs Zeus?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

That Gobbo posted:

The Jenner IIC has been really fun, backstabbing an assault to death is so drat satisfying. I've actually got a decent hanger of mechs at this point, looking into new medium and assaults. Will grab the Crab tomorrow, what's the opinion on Banshee vs Zeus?

banshee is probably better. Zeus had good armor but it is a bit undergunned

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is WoL's tour of the universe going to include hitting up the clan factions? Please say yes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Raged posted:

Is WoL's tour of the universe going to include hitting up the clan factions? Please say yes.

Undecided at the moment, I think, just because not everyone has Clan poo poo so building a drop deck could be troublesome.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

What do you use on it? It looks hella tanky but I can't find a fit that seems like it would do damage

Heads up: these mechs have massive torso twist ability, use that and the structure quirks to XL engine them.

ZEU-5S: something like this. it features a shitton of fire power in the god hand, and an XL engine.

I have a few others but can't recall them off the top of my head. That one is a loving beast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
There is a Zues LPL build that uses a huge xl engine that is pretty fun to play. Goes over 80kph after speed tweak.

• Locked thread