Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The ones I've seen are metal and don't have buckles (they look like this). Apparently they're called Brannock Devices and literally every shoe shop I've ever been to has had one. Sometimes the staff don't even bother asking if you know your size because I guess they just assume you don't. :shrug:

They're kind of an outdated thing in America, probably by 20 or so years. I don't know of any places left that actually use them or even have people to assist with measurement or fittings unless maybe it's like some fancy custom shoe place or something

I know this cause my dad used to manage a shoe place 30ish years ago and he was talking about how no places bother with that stuff anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Nordick posted:

Maybe they buy shoes by just randomly trying on vaguely fitting-looking shoes until they find a good pair? I mean yeah, that would still be pretty dumb but it would answer the "how" question :shrug:

My professor's best guess at the time was that these kids just had their parents buying shoes for them, so they never had to know. :sigh:

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

They're kind of an outdated thing in America, probably by 20 or so years. I don't know of any places left that actually use them or even have people to assist with measurement or fittings unless maybe it's like some fancy custom shoe place or something

I know this cause my dad used to manage a shoe place 30ish years ago and he was talking about how no places bother with that stuff anymore

This is what I meant.
When I was a kid I'd sit around in the shoe department and play with those, but I just can't recall seeing them in years. Although I don't sit around being bored in the shoe department anymore either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lot's of things are super backwards and old in Australia. The brief time I was there sort of felt like being back in the 90's in a lot of places. Very few places I went outside of Brisbane and Sidney had WiFi, the internet in general was slow as gently caress, lot's of reliance on sort of manual devices like those shoe measurers that we don't really use in America anymore. Also as an American the amount of casual racism in Australia was staggering, like really really constant everywhere. I've lived and traveled through parts of the deep south and I've never heard people so candidly drop racial slurs in bars and restaurants, it was extremely off-putting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Lot's of things are super backwards and old in Australia. The brief time I was there sort of felt like being back in the 90's in a lot of places. Very few places I went outside of Brisbane and Sidney had WiFi, the internet in general was slow as gently caress, lot's of reliance on sort of manual devices like those shoe measurers that we don't really use in America anymore. Also as an American the amount of casual racism in Australia was staggering, like really really constant everywhere. I've lived and traveled through parts of the deep south and I've never heard people so candidly drop racial slurs in bars and restaurants, it was extremely off-putting.

My dad lived there for two years and he said the same thing. I'm trying to imagine what that would have been like in the 70s.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Last time I actually had an employee bring out a shoe measuring thing was when I went to a running shoe store and was fitted for some shoes. Haven't seen them in regular shoe stores in forever.

I had a roommate once who was one of the types whose mom would do everything for her and was therefore fairly clueless with regards to real life responsibilities. I was studying abroad one summer and there was a power outage and her first thought was not to call the power company to report the outage but to call my very expensive emergencies only international phone and ask me to fix it from across the ocean.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

You should hear some of the poo poo I hear in closed circles. Apparently, everything wrong right now is dem drat muslims ruining the country or "abos" on welfare. Not the self-serving assholes we elected for whatever goddamned reason.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
(passing a display of kids' 'support our troops' signs) "Those kids are so dumb. Their flag only has 10 stars. What about the other 42?"

-My brother's mentally disabled baby mamma

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cult_hero posted:

(passing a display of kids' 'support our troops' signs) "Those kids are so dumb. Their flag only has 10 stars. What about the other 42?"

If you mean literally mentally disabled, then they kind of get a pass...

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If you mean literally mentally disabled, then they kind of get a pass...

It would also mean their brother had sex with a mentally disabled person.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Conal Cochran posted:

It would also mean their brother had sex with a mentally disabled person.

Or she was injured after they had sex.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

cult_hero posted:

Kindly ask her what the 51st and 52nd state are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While working, I over heard 2 wonderful gentlemen having this discussion.

"I love breaking bad!"
"Yea, I really makes me want to do meth"

I think you missed a big part of the show.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

re: shoes :spergin:

My husband, brother and I all measured our feet to order supportive leather work boots that come in half-widths and also wide sizes. A big reason you might be a 13 in one random shoe and a 10 in another is width.

My brother wore 13s in walmart/kohls/etc. shoes until we properly measured his feet, and he ended up with a size 10 and a EEEE width. My husband and I are both size 9, I have lovely flat feet and an EE width, and his are EEE.

A good pair of shoes will make a huge difference!

Also I know the kohls near me has a bunch of the brannock devices lying around, but I'm too stupid to figure out how to use them. We used a measurement chart to convert our length/widths into the right sizes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I spent a year in Australia not too long ago, and yeah casual racism and feeling 20 years out of date was the order of the day. Also the strong dislike for England was very noticeable (bordering on obsessive) in the media.

Beautiful country though.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Mouse Dresser posted:

My professor's best guess at the time was that these kids just had their parents buying shoes for them, so they never had to know. :sigh:

I knew a dresser who told me about an actor who had to have his costumes set in the order the items went on as he'd just put on whatever was on the rack first. He'd do things like putting suspenders on over a vest and then putting the shirt on last. Honestly, it's hard to tell sometimes where stupid ends and lazy begins with actors.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Subjunctive posted:

Or she was injured after they had sex.

OR the sex mentally disabled her.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mouse Dresser posted:

Are you guys all constantly buying shoes or something? It's a number I have to use like once or twice a year. Of course I don't know it off the top of my head.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Kindly ask her what the 51st and 52nd state are.

Alaska and Hawaii. :smuggo:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
FWIW, we used the shoe measuring things (Brannock Devices? Didn't know that was the name.) as late as 2013 when I did a seasonal gig at a JCP. We mostly kept them behind the counter so people wouldn't trip on them. This was also in a major city, so I don't imagine it's too backwoods a practice.
Honestly surprised people don't know their shoe size, though. I thumb through the clearance racks every time a department store changes seasonal gear and I get some gloriously priced shoes.

The 51/52 states thing was a huge thing when I was overseas. Folks also seem convinced the US doesn't have a national anthem, somehow. They get weirdly belligerent when you correct them on either, like you're just so dumb you don't even know these things about your own country. :psyduck:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Snoo posted:

re: shoes :spergin:

My husband, brother and I all measured our feet to order supportive leather work boots that come in half-widths and also wide sizes. A big reason you might be a 13 in one random shoe and a 10 in another is width.

My brother wore 13s in walmart/kohls/etc. shoes until we properly measured his feet, and he ended up with a size 10 and a EEEE width. My husband and I are both size 9, I have lovely flat feet and an EE width, and his are EEE.

A good pair of shoes will make a huge difference!

Also I know the kohls near me has a bunch of the brannock devices lying around, but I'm too stupid to figure out how to use them. We used a measurement chart to convert our length/widths into the right sizes.

Sneakers also have a huge amount of padding in them in general. I used to think I was a 12, then I bought 12 boots with almost no padding and even with the biggest superfeet insoles in them, they're on the loose side.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Last time I actually had an employee bring out a shoe measuring thing was when I went to a running shoe store and was fitted for some shoes. Haven't seen them in regular shoe stores in forever.

I'm confused by everyone not seeing Brannock devices in shoe stores. Any shoe store I go to uses them every time. Obviously not at a department store any more, but all actual shoe stores use them.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

mostlygray posted:

I'm confused by everyone not seeing Brannock devices in shoe stores. Any shoe store I go to uses them every time. Obviously not at a department store any more, but all actual shoe stores use them.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the store, but no one knows what to ask for. If you ask some teenager who works at the mall"do you know where the Brannock Device is?!" They'll think you're a mad scientist or something

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Are you guys all constantly buying shoes or something? It's a number I have to use like once or twice a year. Of course I don't know it off the top of my head.

....Surely it's just one of those things you know, like your eye colour or blood type?? I can't wrap my head round not knowing your own shoe size.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Same, I know I'm a women's 9 for most shoes, but sometimes 9.5 or even 8 depending on brand. It's not that hard, I try everything on anyway and go up or down from there. I find it odd that people wouldn't at least know their approximate shoe size.

Edit: I have no idea what my blood type is though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rondette posted:

....Surely it's just one of those things you know, like your eye colour or blood type?? I can't wrap my head round not knowing your own shoe size.

I don't know my blood type. I'm sure I've been told, but I've never made an effort to remember it, because why would you ever need to know your blood type? It's even less useful than your shoe size, since anyone who needs to know it is not going to take your word for it (and also I think it's actually more complicated than is commonly understood so they'd still need to test anyway).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

While working, I over heard 2 wonderful gentlemen having this discussion.

"I love breaking bad!"
"Yea, I really makes me want to do meth"

I think you missed a big part of the show.

At an old job, whenever it was a bad day I used to turn to my coworker and say "lets just go make some meth instead."

Of course we both understood that wasn't the point of Breaking Bad.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

grittyreboot posted:

My ex-roommate e thought I was scamming him when I told him we had to pay a separate power and water Bill. Dude was almost when he learned electricity and water were separate bills.

From the last page, but I can easily imagine this. Rural houses often aren't on city water systems, so water is electrically pumped from a well. If you've grown up on well water, it's perfectly reasonable to not realize that city water is independent of electricity.

(And yes, the reverse happens all the time. No, city boy, you can't take a shower or flush the toilet if the power's out in a rural house.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

When you need to donate blood, you selfish blood hoarding vampire.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dr_Amazing posted:

You see, when you grow up, your feet stop growing and your shoe size stays consistent barring weird outlying brand fits. You'll understand when you're older, sweetie.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ryoshi posted:

You see, when you grow up, your feet stop growing and your shoe size stays consistent barring weird outlying brand fits. You'll understand when you're older, sweetie.

Right so the one time a year you need to know your shoe size, you look at the shoes you're wearing then forget about it. Maybe I just have a terrible memory but it's not information that sticks with me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When you need to donate blood, you selfish blood hoarding vampire.

Don't they test the blood once they get it? I wouldn't just take someone's word on what their blood type is.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well if you're AB you don't want to be donating at all so presumably they'd test a small sample first? :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They don't even ask you what your blood type is, at least when I've done it.

E:

AlphaKretin posted:

Well if you're AB you don't want to be donating at all so presumably they'd test a small sample first? :shrug:

Why not? AB plasma is very valuable.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:doh: Forgot about plasma. Yeah, guess they wouldn't need to know until transfusing it then.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
That's just weird. Do you guys know your own height and weight? Approximately? Because it's like the same thing?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Subjunctive posted:

They don't even ask you what your blood type is, at least when I've done it.

E:

Why not? AB plasma is very valuable.

When they do blood drives they do callout for specific blood types. In the country I was living in there was a big drive for A+ since a large portion of the country were compatible and they wanted to keep the rarer types to people who could not take A+.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dr_Amazing posted:

Right so the one time a year you need to know your shoe size, you look at the shoes you're wearing then forget about it. Maybe I just have a terrible memory but it's not information that sticks with me.

You're a bit weird there matey, I'm sure the vast majority of people living in first world countries know their shoe size. :crossarms:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I buy shoes more than once a year because sandals and boots are generally not on sale at the same time. Weird, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

beedeebee posted:

That's just weird. Do you guys know your own height and weight? Approximately? Because it's like the same thing?
yes, knowing your blood type is exactly the same as knowing what height you are.

• Locked thread