Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope at some point they look at how 5 classes are a requirement in every single raid comp just because of the buffs they bring to the table (2 PS warriors, 1 druid, 1 chrono, 1 herald) Would be nice if other classes could spec to provide similar utility so it isn't just the same classes filling up the slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

They are not "required" to clear the raid, if you're going for the ridiculous no draft gors kills, then yes, but you can pretty much clear the raid with any class mix provided your team can handle the mechanics. The min/max comp make up allows for breathing room when people can't do the mechanics effectively.

Obviously you still need some sort of tank and healer, but that's another issue.

E: but I do agree, other classes should bring alacrity and not just mesmers. I think might is ok with heralds and ps wars.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hmm yes Druid good playstyle, useful in Raids, useful in sPvP, useful in WvW, useful in PvE, useful solo, let's complain about our class not being changed :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, in Elementalist land,

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

The really inconsistent rate of building astral power between different weapon sets, the fact that you can't activate celestial avatar unless you're full on astral power AND there is a cooldown on activating it AND if you cancel it early you lose like 20% of astral power? Am I really in a minority opinion thinking that it should be changed in some way? Even without mechanic tooling I have a hard time believing that after so many months there isn't a single balance change to the druid or any of traits or the staff skills or celestial avatar or any of the glyphs. Nothing needed an adjustment in how much damage or healing it did? No cooldowns need tweaking?

I just have a hard time believing they aren't either negligent or apathetic (or both).

I have to agree with this. I barely get any time in druid do to the weapons I use. When I do get to use it, it's only to really stunbreak and condi clear myself. The few times I have an opening to plop some heals and poo poo I end up having to cancel it early to do some weapon stuff and boom, 20% of the guage is gone.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Don't camp out in CA for the whole duration, the 1 skill is terrible compared to just hitting 4 3 (or 4 3 2 4 if you got quick draw and people still need healing) and then dropping. Takes less time to build back up the force too if you cancel early instead of running dry. It's not like Death Shroud where you're absorbing damage (which means people can knock you out of it early).

If you're dedicated to the healing thing you have options outside CA, Cultivated Synergy with the heal slot glyph is a large burst, and you can find clear spots on the ground to drop the staff 5 field and swap pets in it (with Clarion Bond) or staff 3 for healing blasts. As a DPS druid you'd only want to bother with CA long enough to cap Grace of the Land on people.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah I've really just been using druid glyphs in a normal power ranger build. I've been paying too much attention to other classes (also xenoblade) to learn druid that much. That's good advice though, I guess I'll ignore the auto and just drop a few skills and be done with it. I also might have to pick up the shout trait or switch to healing spring so I can get the drat thing to recharge fast enough.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Druid sucks and stinks, most underwhelming elite specialization by far. :colbert:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm genuinely surprised by the idea that you've played a non-ranger class in the last, what, two years?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Daredevil sucks and stinks, most underwhelming elite specialization by far. :colbert:

:agreed:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Druid sucks and stinks, most underwhelming elite specialization by far. :colbert:

Don't let thief players hear you say that

e:fb

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Illuyankas posted:

I'm genuinely surprised by the idea that you've played a non-ranger class in the last, what, two years?

I play Warrior and Guardian to, also been messing around a lot with necro/reaper so that's what I'm comparing it to. :v:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Druid is good but it's not a 100% upgrade in all use cases like nearly every other elite spec, which is also something people complain about.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I don't care that it isn't a complete upgrade. What I don't like is that outside of the glyphs it's major contribution is just healing. Just. Healing.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Since y'all seemed to like the hawk wing glider so much (and with good reason) here's one someone made IRL:

And it's pretty cool.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
It's pretty weird coming back to GW2 now and finding my ranger has gone from Murderface McVulnStack, to having the option of being Healbot McClericson in additional to that. I think I ran Nature Magic because that's where the Greatsword trait was, and it made the +10% Frost Spirit slightly better, so swapping Druid in for that works pretty well. It is pretty game-changing though, but not in a straight upgrade way, which is probably better than how most of the other Elite specs are straight up improvements. Granted I also haven't figured out how the gently caress to use it properly, but I've only been at it a week or so, barely even scratched masteries yet, just been fumbling my way through daily fractals and story missions when they don't kill my outdated pc.

Seeing how Elite specs work, and have been implemented, makes me pretty optimistic for more stuff, given as-is Elite specs are one-only, so once there are more and it's a choice between them it'll be rad as hell, assuming power creep doesn't invalidate them but GW2 is decent enough about that? My current biggest disappointment is Elementalist, I'd love a melee-heavy or tank-y spec for them, something with a 2H weapon or a shield would be hella neat, though I understand that adding new weapons for Ele is 4x the work of adding a weapon for another class.

Also after seeing the Warrior Rifle changelog, I wish projectiles just pierced by default. I can still have the insane Vulnerability stacking build, but other classes do it just as well now (like Reaper and Dragonhunter I think), and in order to do so I have to give up; +10% attack speed, -20% CD reduction, and Longbow pierces?? It's the biggest perk for "make longbow more rad", and piercing is such a nice quality of life improvement for longbow.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I just like that I don't have to adjust much to be a druid healer for open world stuff. I mean sure, I'd put more effort into it if I was healing raids, but now I can be the same ranger I was, but can instantly turn into a healer to help out the group and boost my participation. I just wish Ranger had better break bar destroyers, I haven't really found one I like a lot.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Actually now that I've thought about it the most disappointing elite spec balance changes weren't the none at all that druid got, it's that scrapper got a nerf to the only useful gyro it had and all the rest remain both really bad and really boring. Come to think of it even further, I think I'm less pleased with scrapper than anything else (even daredevil!).

Unless I've been playing it completely wrong, scrapper is pretty inflexible in build diversity. Reaper, for instance, is conducive to minion and non minion builds, power and condition builds, tougher and glassier builds. I don't know if there is any sort of necromancer that wouldn't do well to take reaper. Scrapper has some useful traits to be sure (even after it was nerfed adaptive armor is still a top tier trait), but it's not really useful for anything besides making yourself a lot tougher. Since I do mostly pve and conditions on my engineer it is the only character I have not running their elite spec.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sprite141 posted:

I don't care that it isn't a complete upgrade. What I don't like is that outside of the glyphs it's major contribution is just healing. Just. Healing.

Yea that's my gripe to, at least Daredevil looks cool being all flippy and poo poo.

Plus you have stuff like heralds that can output good DPS, heal AND buff.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ambi posted:

My current biggest disappointment is Elementalist, I'd love a melee-heavy or tank-y spec for them, something with a 2H weapon or a shield would be hella neat, though I understand that adding new weapons for Ele is 4x the work of adding a weapon for another class.

But eles....are tanky? :confused: Especially with tempest overloads/auras/heal on auras/etc

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xun posted:

But eles....are tanky? :confused: Especially with tempest overloads/auras/heal on auras/etc

Not anymore. They were gutted 6 days ago.

I'm about to start experimenting with Earth Shield because of how dire this situation is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How is the dragon hunter?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

How is the dragon hunter?

It owns bones x100000000

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

It owns bones x100000000

Don't listen to this man. He's been brainwashed by Big Dragon.

Support your local grassroots Daredevils.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're doing god's work

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I HAVE BEEN TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I hit 80, then the game bugged out and still thought I was 79. It was a rather underwhelming experience tbh.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I just saw that raiding is hitler-approved and thought to myself "This has to be a Dreggon thing"

You did not disappoint.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
New mesmer looks. Will this make me a better mesmer? Doubtful.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

DonVincenzo posted:

New mesmer looks. Will this make me a better mesmer? Doubtful.

No, but it looks very nice! This reminds me that I was gearing up my mesmer in marauder gear, and that I was gonna massively change her outfit.

I'll get right on that as soon as I start playing the game normally again. As soon as I beat xenoblade. I'm close. I'm also gonna pretend to not have an unopened xenoblade X sitting right next to my wii u.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
According to my facebook this happened a year ago. :3:

And that's a great looking mesmer Don.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Thanks to the kind goon who did the HP run the other night to allow me to unlock Druid on my Ranger. I'm still really new to HoT and trying to figure stuff out and it was nice to get all that point-work out of the way.

I've put together a build kind of similar to this and I like it:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Shout_Healer

I've mostly still been soloing, grouping up for events, and roaming in WvW, I'd like to get into some more serious group content.

I have a few questions for trying not to be terrible:

1) I like the overall combination of Beastmastery Shouts and Druid Healing, does anyone have any specific build recommendations to help improve this? I'm doing Greatsword + Axe/Horn right now with all those things specifically talented; but could easily swap to something else.

2) I have no idea on stat priority, I've seen some guides recommend full Berserker (which is what I have now and have used for awhile); however, if I was group healing and min-maxing should I off-set any of that with Healing Power or other durability stats? I got the Legendary Staff from finishing the first story/quest/point line or whatever, but I haven't stat-assigned it yet because I have no clue what to prioritize.

3) Any tips for maximizing Celestial Avatar use? It seems to have a really short duration and I can't even get all the moves off when I pop it, I'm kind of both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by it.

And some boring general stuff I've been trying to figure out for my character:

4) Should I try to advance my crafting from 400 to 500 and where in HoT do you start on that if you want to?
5) Are there any must-have pets I should try to find and tame in HoT?

Thanks in advance if you take the time to help me with advice.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Libertine posted:

4) Should I try to advance my crafting from 400 to 500 and where in HoT do you start on that if you want to?

http://gw2crafts.net/

You only need to get 500 if you want ascended armor, which I guess if you're looking at raids & high level fractals is nice but otherwise unnecessary.

Also unless something dramatic has changed/is different for Druid, the Healing Power coefficients on most healing skills are just not high enough to bother with over improving damage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ascended armor isn't even necessary for raids, it just gets you a little more slack for screwing up mechanics. Get ascended trinkets (rings amulet accessories backpiece) first, then ascended weapons. After that, ascended armor is like a 3% boost over your stats on your exotic armor and only really worthwhile for the fact that it offers you more slots for agony infusions.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ascended armor is, or used to be, the easiest rout to viper armor. Also don't ever worry about sticking healing power into your build no matter how badly you want it. Yes I know rangers got dem heals. Healing power is still complete and utter trash.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
vialofsalt.jpg

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, anyone found some areas in Tyria where gliding comes in handy, either as a shortcut or just reaching some areas unintended?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, anyone found some areas in Tyria where gliding comes in handy, either as a shortcut or just reaching some areas unintended?

I don't think I've been on a single map where it hasn't come in handy at one point or another. I've always disliked how soon fall damage kicks in in this game and it's just so nice to be able to glide down instead of having to spend ages walking along a cliff to get down or whatever. It's especially great with vistas but even just getting from one side of a map to another feels so much easier and more free now.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Libertine posted:

2) I have no idea on stat priority, I've seen some guides recommend full Berserker (which is what I have now and have used for awhile); however, if I was group healing and min-maxing should I off-set any of that with Healing Power or other durability stats? I got the Legendary Staff from finishing the first story/quest/point line or whatever, but I haven't stat-assigned it yet because I have no clue what to prioritize.

Don't really bother with healing power, if you're really worried about your healing invest in the increased outgoing healing effectiveness food and maybe use runes of Dwayna and/or Monk .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nah I cannot deny the thief is my favorite class so I hope that when time rolls around for me to become a daredevil that I will like it

• Locked thread