Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Are any of the old GOON Lowca players still around? Found this and got a little sentimental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMRejgXUA8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

XakEp posted:

Are any of the old GOON Lowca players still around? Found this and got a little sentimental.

You're going to make me cry. I miss our Tie Fighter.

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001

XakEp posted:

That video was awesome, pretty much sums up the pre-cu experience being in GOON on Lowca, brilliant times.

If i recall correctly, it was made shortly after the CU went live by Arene, who sadly is no longer with us :(

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

SweetBro posted:

Can you give us an ETA to when this poo poo is going to be playable so I can hold you to a completely unrealistic deadline because that's how development works?

Not really. If I even thought of deadlines or goal dates then i'd feel pressured to work faster, get burned out and go back to doing something horrible with my life like playing EVE.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

bogey.flail posted:

That video was awesome, pretty much sums up the pre-cu experience being in GOON on Lowca, brilliant times.

If i recall correctly, it was made shortly after the CU went live by Arene, who sadly is no longer with us :(

Neither is my wife, she used to play with us in GOON. One of my fondest memories was when <LIGHT> went and declared war on every imperial guild in the game. So naturally, we all came down and owned them. Hard.

I still remember Clownballoon's post on the GOON forums. It was epic, something like Patton would have written right before a battle in WWII. Do you know if those forums are still up somewhere?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

XakEp posted:

Neither is my wife, she used to play with us in GOON. One of my fondest memories was when <LIGHT> went and declared war on every imperial guild in the game. So naturally, we all came down and owned them. Hard.

I still remember Clownballoon's post on the GOON forums. It was epic, something like Patton would have written right before a battle in WWII. Do you know if those forums are still up somewhere?

SWGANH used to have a backup of it, but you can find bits of it on the wayback machine

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hey Levarris, have you seen this article about the early dev team's ideas re: implementation of Jedi in SWG? It's really interesting and maybe relevant to your project. I really like the dude's leaderboard/hardcore mode idea for Jedi characters.

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001

XakEp posted:

The old SWG GT forums are still around, I took over hosting them years ago.

http://goontown.bogeyflail.com/

I should probably take it down though, nobody has been there in years and I think bits are missing from the handover, but I still can't bring myself to switch it off.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bogey.flail posted:

I should probably take it down though, nobody has been there in years and I think bits are missing from the handover, but I still can't bring myself to switch it off.

Make it public to view. I don't feel like making an account to view 10 year old posts.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

bogey.flail posted:

Hooooly crap, the memories. Thanks for the link! I was able to log in and look around. Good times.

Edit - just found the IRC info, lol

Edit 2 - found the posts in question. If you were there for this, it was an amazing time.

quote:

Let's make sure we have their whole city and especially the clone center camped to loving hell and back when we flip the switch. If they want to abuse the busted guild war system, WE'LL SHOW THEM ABUSING THE BUSTED GUILDWAR SYSTEM.

Seriously, I've stalked every one of their members I've seen, and they are, with no exaggeration, the biggest group of absolute morons I've ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with (and I prosecute crack addicts for a living). Not a one of the can construct a sentence that is even marginally comprehensible much less grammatically correct. Example:

DaRklIgHt or whatever his pre-pubescent name is, has for a bio "i wan't to be a jedi and i wan't to get stoned." That's a quote. That's their leadership. Let the games begin; I will do my best to have MBH by then.

quote:

Because the members of the Goontown Bureau of Supervision got drunk one night and thought it would be a hoot to let a ferret with ADD be a combat officer, you'll get to hear my philosohpical ramblings here:

This war should be a vehicle for us to send a message to all the immature, retarded, alternating-caps-talking, DBZ naming fagmotrons on the server who are constantly trying to dangle from our nutsacks. I'm going to take this further than Vince Lombardi (whao) who said, "Winning isn't everything, its the only thing." He was on to a good point, but he was a whimpering 6 year old girl compared to how we should, nay we SHALL be.

Winning against these illiterate freaks is already a foregone conclusion, and let's be honest; its boring. We know we'll win. Everyone who is sober more than 5 minutes a day knows we'll win. We're bigger, richer, stronger and capable of completing a sentence. Its Fonzie vs. Potsie. Thusly (lol words), I propose that this not be a war of conquest and victory, but a war of terrifying humiliation. A war of such overwhelming annihilation that people speak of it in lowered voices because they're afraid God will hear them. When people discuss the outcome, they should look down at the floor and shake their heads. I want the Lowca boards to be awash with people accusing us of using excessive force and unfair tactics. I will personally commission ceremonial awards for people who succeed at murdering afk crafters/entertainers, clone center camping, poisoning/diseasing/killingwithfire and the killing of medical personnel. If in doubt, kill their mount. God is indeed merciful if they don't have a jedi, becuase if they do we're going to kill it so many times that their FSCS closes in disgust. When this is over, I want every collection of 14 year old pillow biters on this server to shudder at the thought of crossing us.

LOL balloon of clowns, that sure is a lot of words that I don't feel like reading, so what should we do? lol doods glad u axed:

-I love it when a plan comes together (lol A-Team). Let's all make sure we know what we're doing and what's expected of us when this thing gets started. A great many of us, myself included, work more effectively in teams, and we should loosely coordinate them in advance. Others, like brother Sapp may be more effective alone because he bring the element of surprise (no one could possibly gauge his killing power effectively by looking at him). Others are like this as well, and I apologize, but I've only seen Sapp in action first hand, and frankly he scares me. Let's make sure we have folks who've scouted their city and make waypoints for a mass e-mailing. If you have non-guilded alts or the ability to make one, now's the time to use them as scouts so they can move freely and not get /citywarned.

-Let's make sure we have more supplies than we need. Combat doods: Do you have armor you feel comfortable with for PvP? Is it in good condition? Are all of your weapons in good repair? Lay in enough cash for repeated cloning and insuring in advance. Medic doods: How's your stocks of buffs, stims, and woundpacks looking? Figure out how many you think you'll need and then make sure you have a lot more than that on hand and ready to go Worst thing ever would be to have to break the action for crafting or to wait on a factory. Crafter doods: First, wub.gif Second, what resources do you need to make excessive quantities of weapons/armor/meds? Are goons not helping you gather them in sufficient quantities? This effort will fail spectacularly without your stuffs, so bitch loud and often if you need something. I don't know if its feasible, but it would be optimal for everyone to have backups for their primary weapons and armor. I doubt highly that combat will actually be intense enough to warrant this, but preparation is about anticipating the unexpected. No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy, however you can control your level of preparedness.

-Most of all, keep quiet. I want them to be totally unprepared for what's to come. No winks and nods, no cute little hints, no nothing. Pretend you don't know they exist until we go to war. Don't let them taunt you into running your mouth, as I can assure you they will try.

omg clown that was tl; dr 1000 words ago. u sure ask a lot, wtf r u going to do? lol u ax good questions dood, lemme tell you:

-I was going to try to grind out Invest 4, but that's selfish. I have enough carbine xp stored up to get some of the counterattacks from carbineer, and that's sufficient. I want to make myself available as much as possible to help anyone who needs anything to get ready. I still have a few lots open if anyone needs any, and I'm happy to collect any scoutable resources that would help in crafting. I unfortunately had to drop surveying, but I can still harvest like a madman. If we need to do a krayt hunt or anything, squeal about it and I'll slap one together. If you need bazaar goods, I have a fair amount of spacebucks and I'm willing to travel anywhere to get your stuffs.

-I'll spend the remainder of my free time stalking every member of this band of lobotomy survivors. I will put every one I see on my friends list. I plan to follow them on missions, in PvP, anywhere they go. I will be keeping a notebook of what weapons/armor, pets and specials they like to use. I promise you we will know them better than they know us. I will not engage any of them in combat so as not to give away any tendencies, and I encourage combat doods to do likewise.

-I invite all of you to spam my e-mail with any scouting reports you have, however trivial they may seem. I will keep them all organized and will share a summary with everyone before we flip the switch.

*please note that these are the inane ramblings of one person, and were not approved by any of your insect overlords. They will be altered into an unrecognizable state if they don't match prevailing goon opinions. That being said, if people are going to say "I have orders to fill/xp to grind/money to make and I can't commit 100% to this," then its my opinion that Total War will be impossible, and we should not participate. Give them our best shot or give them nothing.

quote:

guys we need to war with someone i typed an awful lot of words

quote:

In the interest of preparedness what kind of attack are we doing ? :

1) Braveheart. You stand in line. Until Clownballon Wallace shouts "GOONLAND IS FREE". Then we run to the enemy will being shot at. Very heroic until you're the guy hit. This would require a lot of zabraks with white and blue tatoos.

2) Dune. Small groups of Freegoon attacking from many direction at the same time. ClownDib gets elite guards. We need sonic weapons.

3) Roman. We hit the barbarians with our artillery first (I guess that translate to rifle people) and have the footmen up front while the cavalry breaks up their flanks. Then we all yell "I am clowntacus !" one after the other.

4) Trojan. We hide inside a large creature and put it in front of their city. Clownballoon then tells them it's a gift from Goon.

5) Sopranos. We knock at their door. "Who is this ?" "Goons !" "Goons ?" "Hired goons !". We kick the poo poo out of them and we curse at the same time and use italian slang. Mama mia mother fucker cocksuckers !

6) Saving private Spella. We attack their most defended bunkers and suffer high casualities. Magusz dies from a headshot. Lenore's guts are spilled all over. But a group led by Captain John "Clownballoon" Miller finally gets behind the line and Sgt.Rem's powerful flamethrower cleanse the bunker while someone yells "Don't shoot. Let them burn !"

7) Blitzkreig : Germany invades Poland. 2600 German tanks against the Polish 180, and over 2000 aircraft against the Polish 420. Most of Poland equipment is outdated. Herman "clownballoon" Goering declares it's Luftwaffe played a decisive role in this fast attack. Our German neighbours declare they have no idea about what I'm talking about Everybody was on vacation in Germany between 1939 and 1945.

Man, now I'm remembering everything we used to do. drat SOE for ruining this game, it was incredible.

XakEp fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 13, 2016

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001

jabro posted:

Make it public to view. I don't feel like making an account to view 10 year old posts.

Done!

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is it possible to play SWG offline? I couldn't find anything recent/reliable on official forums, so I'm assuming "no" but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Unexpected posted:

Hi. I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is it possible to play SWG offline? I couldn't find anything recent/reliable on official forums, so I'm assuming "no" but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

No

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

Hey Levarris, have you seen this article about the early dev team's ideas re: implementation of Jedi in SWG? It's really interesting and maybe relevant to your project. I really like the dude's leaderboard/hardcore mode idea for Jedi characters.

I hate the idea of an alpha class, period. It completely devalues every other class. Take what we ran into on Bloodfin Emu for a prime example of that.

What we've done is marginalize jedi. It is just another class, it's not special, it gets no bonuses, its on par with everything else. On top of that with the moving forward of the timeline, the canon nazis have nothing to complain about.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It makes sense for Jedi players in the era after episode 6 to be not any more powerful powerful than the other classes. Most trained force users by that point are dead, and most of the "Jedi" out there would be untrained or barely-trained initiates (Ep 7 spoiler, I guess? Do we still need these?) like Kylo or Rey.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 14, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Levarris posted:

I hate the idea of an alpha class, period. It completely devalues every other class. Take what we ran into on Bloodfin Emu for a prime example of that.

What we've done is marginalize jedi. It is just another class, it's not special, it gets no bonuses, its on par with everything else. On top of that with the moving forward of the timeline, the canon nazis have nothing to complain about.

Aww... I'm sad to hear that. I liked having Jedi with the semi-permadeath mechanic. It's boring to play a game where everyone is equal. I was hoping to get a couple of buddies together on an SWG emu, and just roam around with the sole purpose of camping Jedi's until they're perma-killed to jack off with their delicious tears.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SweetBro posted:

Aww... I'm sad to hear that. I liked having Jedi with the semi-permadeath mechanic. It's boring to play a game where everyone is equal. I was hoping to get a couple of buddies together on an SWG emu, and just roam around with the sole purpose of camping Jedi's until they're perma-killed to jack off with their delicious tears.

There is one server that has jedi and permadeath, but it's awful.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Levarris posted:

There is one server that has jedi and permadeath, but it's awful.

Is it possible that it's awful for completely separate reasons?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SweetBro posted:

Is it possible that it's awful for completely separate reasons?

Nope.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's not hard to see why. SWG just isn't set up for hardcore survival stuff. It's too easy for stuff to break to make something just invalidate dozens of hours of grinding Jedi points. It's not like playing as a lightsaber class is so drastically different than any other. Would be just as lovely to have permadeath on a pistolier or whatever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So whats the status of the main SWGEmu project? Because I am on it the day their servers leaves testing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So whats the status of the main SWGEmu project? Because I am on it the day their servers leaves testing.

It's at the point where even when they have a feature complete Galaxies experience, we're stuck waiting for JTL before Suncrusher launch. In other words, it's still years away.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's at the point where even when they have a feature complete Galaxies experience, we're stuck waiting for JTL before Suncrusher launch. In other words, it's still years away.

JTL won't be as complicated to complete as you would think. The longest bits of it will involve the AI scripting. There already is a baseline of JTL functionality in Core3, it's just disabled and requires literally one line of code to be uncommented.

I'd wager that when they start actual iteration on JTL that it will be about a year to complete give or take a few months.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

It's a bummer that JTL is still far away. I never got to play it but it sounds so neat.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Levarris posted:

JTL won't be as complicated to complete as you would think. The longest bits of it will involve the AI scripting. There already is a baseline of JTL functionality in Core3, it's just disabled and requires literally one line of code to be uncommented.

I'd wager that when they start actual iteration on JTL that it will be about a year to complete give or take a few months.

Oh poo poo alright, well in that case I think a early 2017 launch is reasonable to expect based on their project list (which isn't up to date) and their weekly updates.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It would have been cool if the full release was last fall. It was the 10 year anniversary of the NGE. Would have been appropriate.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

If I played on bloodfin, do I need to get my discs and reinstall the game to play on basilisk without getting in trouble? Or does the bloodfin launcher install its own second copy of galaxies? It seems like basilisk has some working AI now. I never modified my basilisk install otherwise so it should be OK?

Also levarris your new project sounds rad as hell. I can't wait.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 17, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Westy543 posted:

If I played on bloodfin, do I need to get my discs and reinstall the game to play on basilisk without getting in trouble? Or does the bloodfin launcher install its own second copy of galaxies? It seems like basilisk has some working AI now. I never modified my basilisk install otherwise so it should be OK?

Also levarris your new project sounds rad as hell. I can't wait.

You should be fine.

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

Now Tayne I can get into!
Anyone from GOON still active here? I've tried for a few days and must have missed the guys from the main post for a g-invite

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

d-liquor posted:

Anyone from GOON still active here? I've tried for a few days and must have missed the guys from the main post for a g-invite

Not on Bloodfin, no.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I think the general consensus is to wait for Darklight.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

I think the general consensus is to wait for Darklight.

Should be opening for testing within the next week or so. Gonna need lots of feedback on pretty much everything.

I've completed work on all of the professions, it's just content creation (and a literal metric ton of it), and minor balance tweaks standing between where we stand and where we need to be to release.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Levarris posted:

Should be opening for testing within the next week or so. Gonna need lots of feedback on pretty much everything.

I've completed work on all of the professions, it's just content creation (and a literal metric ton of it), and minor balance tweaks standing between where we stand and where we need to be to release.

Awesome. Question though, once testing begins, will you be wiping characters? I've been playing Project Gorgon quite a bit and that seems to be the key reason why the population is so high during alpha.

At the very least make progression easier during testing?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Awesome. Question though, once testing begins, will you be wiping characters? I've been playing Project Gorgon quite a bit and that seems to be the key reason why the population is so high during alpha.

At the very least make progression easier during testing?

Yeah, there will definitely be wipes. When we open a live server, there won't be wipes. On our TC however, you should expect it.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
Will there be less fat women with voices so shrill they melt glass over vent who're running around playing wannabe goddess on the staff in this new project?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I think Levarris is going to be the queen this time. :heysexy:

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

randombattle posted:

I think Levarris is going to be the queen this time. :heysexy:

Sounds sexy. I might just have to show up and gently caress his darkside then.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
One thing you wont see is any GM on our server in the open, ever. Our GMs wont be allowed to even log in unless they are responding to a CS ticket. Hell even I won't be able to log into an admin character on the live server and it's my loving project.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

You'll still be the queen of my heart. :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Open Alpha Testing from 2/27/16 at 00:00hrs to 2/29/16 at 00:00hrs Eastern Standard Time.

http://www.darklightswg.com/forum/index.php?/topic/260-open-alpha-phase-one/

Will need plenty of genuine feedback from my fellow goons to help make this a "mostly" non-lovely product.

• Locked thread