Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Undecided at the moment, I think, just because not everyone has Clan poo poo so building a drop deck could be troublesome.

Just use whatever is on the free rotation at the moment. It won't be optimal, but it will be good enough to drop, shoot poo poo, and get your bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
You shouldn't take it into a match like this, but you can put three LRM15 on the right arm of the Zeus and it turns into :btroll: with all of the added launcher blocks.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

novaSphere posted:

Oh poo poo. Should I get Enforcers, or Crabs? I have an incurable fetish for mediums :negative:

Crabs are amazing, get the expensive one with jump jets first, put on a XL 325 and 5 mpulse.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Just started playing. I'll take an invite to GIRL if anybody is around. Name is Repelex.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

A.o.D. posted:

I am legit disappointed that we're getting the kodiak and not the stone rhino.

Is it just me or was there a variant of it that had 3 gauss rifles? Or was that just teenage me shoving three of them onto it in MW2: Ghost Bear's Legacy?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

novaSphere posted:

Crabs are infuriating to fight against but all the variants are so same-ey I don't know which ones to get. The 20 and 27SL seem like nobrainers due to a high engine cap and JJs (respectively), but I don't know what else I'd want. Probably doesn't actually matter?
The last one you can get the one with 6 energy, but 6 mpulse or 2 large 3 medium are both about the same firepower and weight wise so it does not really matter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

I am legit disappointed that we're getting the kodiak and not the stone rhino.

The Stone Rhino is silly because the Gauss Rifles are in the torsos and mounted below cockpit height. That huge gun on the back?

That's an ER Small Laser.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 3, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Stone Rhino is silly because the Gauss Rifles are in the torsos and mounted below cockpit height. That huge gun on the back?

gently caress yeah Stone Rhinos.

Also seriously whats going on with all these sales. Have they realised the grind is ridiculous finally ?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

gently caress yeah Stone Rhinos.

I am legit disappointed we did not get the Kraken. 100 slow-rear end tons of 14 high-mounted ballistic hardpoints or 8 high-mounted ballistic hardpoints or 8 high-mounted missile hardpoints. Minimum.

One of the stock Krakens comes with 8 LRM-15s, which means pubbies would never modify that one and they'd be easy kills after shutting down instantly from a single alpha. :haw:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am legit disappointed we did not get the Kraken. 100 slow-rear end tons of 14 high-mounted ballistic hardpoints or 8 high-mounted ballistic hardpoints or 8 high-mounted missile hardpoints. Minimum.

One of the stock Krakens comes with 8 LRM-15s, which means pubbies would never modify that one and they'd be easy kills after shutting down instantly from a single alpha. :haw:

gently caress Yeah Banes

Lookitdatfuckingshit

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sarna posted:

The design featured Large Pulse Lasers in each arm, twin Gauss Rifles in the torsos fired through the dorsal barrel, and an almost superfluous Small Pulse Laser located just below the cockpit.
:confused:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I bought the MAL-MX90 and put 5 AC/5s on it

it is very slow but it can stare down anything and is generally super cool and very good

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure what the redesign would look like considering the original art is the robot equivalent of anime flounder face.

edit: that redesign :o:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm not sure what the redesign would look like considering the original art is the robot equivalent of anime flounder face.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The `Mech you never knew you wanted. Until now.

AND it's a Clan Battlemech, not an Omni, so you can put a bigger engine in it! :pseudo:

Edit: Also, in a Kraken, you could RP as ED-209

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 3, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The `Mech you never knew you wanted. Until now.

AND it's a Clan Battlemech, not an Omni, so you can put a bigger engine in it! :pseudo:

Edit: Also, in a Kraken, you could RP as ED-209

One day I dream the time/tech will move forward in MWO so we can have all the crazy cool stuff down the line.

Goddamn I just want to pilot a Jupiter.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I desperately want the Deimos. If nothing else PGI desperately needs to shove things forward to the FedCom civil war era so they can introduce a lot of the IS technologies that let them fight on par with the clans. Plus IS Omnimechs. Hell, they could go a bit further ahead and do a massive Clan Wave 1 style pack of the Celestial Series WoB mechs. So many nice things they could do rather than just flailing about trying to make 3052 era IS and Clans evenly matched when the entire point was that they weren't, weapon for weapon and mech for mech.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah I'm struggling to think of mechs in this era I give a poo poo about.

Atlas II, Phoenix Hawk for inner sphere. I dont know what else?

EDIT: Marauder II ?

Bane, Stone Rhino, more IICs. Lots of stuff for clans really.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 3, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

Yeah I'm struggling to think of mechs in this era I give a poo poo about.

Guillotine.

That's about it.

Edit: Could you imagine the crying if PGI ever introduced the TSEMP Cannon? Force a target to shut down in exchange for 5 seconds of cockpit shake.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guillotine.

That's about it.

Edit: Could you imagine the crying if PGI ever introduced the TSEMP Cannon? Force a target to shut down in exchange for 5 seconds of cockpit shake.

The only reason I would want the Guillotine is to get the Guillotine IIC.

Some god tier meltdowns imo.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 3, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

it is very slow but it can stare down anything and is generally super cool and very good

i did yhe same, was pretty fun, what engine and how many tons of ammo were you using? I think i put std300bin mine and seven tons but it chews through the ammo pretty quickly

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Willfrey posted:

i did yhe same, was pretty fun, what engine and how many tons of ammo were you using? I think i put std300bin mine and seven tons but it chews through the ammo pretty quickly

275 with uh, ten tons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Tying it to the invasion era wasn't such a bad thing.

It was going with the whole REAL TIME thing that was boneheaded since that pretty much precludes them from time-skipping to points where better tech and designs come in.

I look forward to getting IS Streak 4's, 6's and ER Mediums sometime in 2021.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Tying it to the invasion era wasn't such a bad thing.

It was going with the whole REAL TIME thing that was boneheaded since that pretty much precludes them from time-skipping to points where better tech and designs come in.

I look forward to getting IS Streak 4's, 6's and ER Mediums sometime in 2021.

They actually did distance themselves from the real-time progression thing, thankfully. They've said they'll advance the timeline in hops and skips as necessary. Which basically means they'll do it when they're out of iconic mechs to make for this era and can spend the time coding new weapons.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Been gone for what feels like years. Probably has been. There's more than four maps, the game is new and confusing, and I still have my small laser laden Jenner. Sup?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

novaSphere posted:

Oh poo poo. Should I get Enforcers, or Crabs? I have an incurable fetish for mediums :negative:

Trebuchets are not bad at all. XL280, 300 to 325 depending on taste. Decent speed, excellent as light-hunters. They have tonnage and quirks for SRMs and medium pulses.

Avoid the 7k. Its absolutely got the worst hardpoint placement ever.

The 7m isn't a LRM boat. Its a 25% generic cooldown for SRM6As. The 3c is the extra dedicated lrm boat - best to avoid.

Edit: post is not preview

Tell me about Banshees. I've had by eye on the 3E for a while - are any of the other two worth keeping?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 3, 2016

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Baudin posted:

Heads up: these mechs have massive torso twist ability, use that and the structure quirks to XL engine them.

ZEU-5S: something like this. it features a shitton of fire power in the god hand, and an XL engine.

I have a few others but can't recall them off the top of my head. That one is a loving beast though.

Sold! This thing looks beautiful. Now to grind up the mc.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Apparently flanking is lostech in PSR tier 5, at least judging by the total inability of most teams to anticipate it or react to, for example, a giant loving Stalker sitting stock-still on their flank and lasering half their team in the rear end:

It was amazing tonight how consistently I was able to swing around behind a blob of enemies, then park and just hold my reticle on an idiot who would not only fail to move, but wouldn't even turn around for several consecutive LPL alphas. Honestly I'm not even posting these shots to boast - I'm thoroughly mediocre at this game - it's more of an indictment of how loving terrible a lot of players in the bottom of the matchmaking pool are. (Also holy crap, hero mech plus premium time is loving lucrative on a good match.)

On another note, it seems like LPLs and ASRMs are by far the best weapon options on the IS side these days, with a few niche exceptions for strong quirks on some mechs (and I guess smaller lasers for light mechs). Anyone have a differing opinion on this? I'd like to feel motivated to run a wider variety of loadouts but I keep coming back to these two. I didn't even like the AC20 on my Misery; I feel much more deadly with 4 LPLs.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacksAngryBiome posted:

XL assaults :negative:

Banshees have 3 viable variants, but the nerf to speed tweak hurt em, I am not crazy about either Zeus or Banshee but I would lean to Banshees for having good mostly torso-centric hardpoints, large shield arms, and the tonnage to run bigger STD engines. You can field all 3 variants with good builds, no crappy ones to suffer through. The 3E is best, the M and S in that order

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 3, 2016

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I built the wrong mech - it should be the 6T (this doesn't really change the build though). You can lower the pulses to mostly medium pulses and use a 300 standard engine which would be fine I suppose.

Willfrey posted:

XL assaults :negative:

Banshees have 3 viable variants, but the nerf to speed tweak hurt em, I am not crazy about either Zeus or Banshee but I would lean to Banshees for having good mostly torso-centric hardpoints, large shield arms, and the tonnage to run bigger STD engines. You can field all 3 variants with good builds, no crappy ones to suffer through. The 3E is best, the M and S in that order

Structure quirks and enormous arms v0v.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 3, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Pattonesque posted:

Same here. I spent a few round watching other assaults try to run away when I start unloading on them. The screen shake must be unbearable. I stuck with the stock engine and maxed out everything but the legs. Slowest mech I have but when you have range like that who cares.

I also love that with the 5xAC5 I have to constantly fire through 3/4 of my ammo before I am even close to overheating. It is definitely going into my CW defend deck.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
The thing about screen shake is that if you press R your opponent has a big red box around him and you can fire and twist, and then twist back after your weapons have cooled down and shoot directly in the middle of that big red box again.
It is disorienting but your aim is not affected by the screen shake.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Zebulon posted:

spend the time coding new weapons.
Lololol

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Yeah, I know. Light PPCs, Light ACs, Snub-Nose PPCs, X-Pulse lasers, Streak SRM4s and SRM6s for IS, Heavy Gauss Rifles, Heavy Lasers, maybe ATMs and Thunderbolt LRMs. They'd all need to be coded in, get weapon models and graphical effects made, etc. With ATMs they'd presumably just do what MW4:Mercs MekTek did and have different launches for different ammo types since we already know they can't code weapon ammo bin swapping. I think Plasma Rifles existed by FedCom CW era, too? Definitely did by the Jihad.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I have no idea how they work in game, I just know how loving effective it was in my CBT days. I'm thinking of getting (eventually) an Ebon Jaguar Prime and kitting it out with a pair of LB10x ACs and a pair or LRM 5s with an AMS for good measure. Since it's Omni, I cant drop the engine rating and give it my signature double cluster of ER Small Lasers like I did in the miniatures game, which is a goddamn shame. Anyway, is that an absolutely lovely loadout, or does the LBX do the amazing crits that it did in my CBT days?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Washout posted:

Crabs are amazing, get the expensive one with jump jets first, put on a XL 325 STD 280 and 5 mpulse.

FTFY :colbert:

If you aren't a zombie crab you're a bad crab. You can keep the guns though :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kilo147 posted:

So I have no idea how they work in game, I just know how loving effective it was in my CBT days. I'm thinking of getting (eventually) an Ebon Jaguar Prime and kitting it out with a pair of LB10x ACs and a pair or LRM 5s with an AMS for good measure. Since it's Omni, I cant drop the engine rating and give it my signature double cluster of ER Small Lasers like I did in the miniatures game, which is a goddamn shame. Anyway, is that an absolutely lovely loadout, or does the LBX do the amazing crits that it did in my CBT days?

LBs do decent crits, but crits aren't really as big a deal in this game as they were in tabletop (TACs don't exist for one thing, engine crits don't really exist either).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Wish theyd just write down the names in the sales, what the gently caress is a BNC-3E? What is a GHR-5H? WVR-6K?
I need to know what to be excited about!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

the builds most goons use are Small pulses + 3 artemis srm6's. or two large pulse four medium lasers. or dual gauss. or 3 uac5's anf lasers. regular twin UAC10's is probably fine. i am gay and use 2ppc and 4 medium lasers which i enjoy.

LRMs are to be avoided. All LBX in the game suck I never see em in teir 1/2 drops

edit: unless a goon brought em

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Fil5000 posted:

LBs do decent crits, but crits aren't really as big a deal in this game as they were in tabletop (TACs don't exist for one thing, engine crits don't really exist either).

Well that's a shame. My lance was called the Clusterfuckers. Notorious in my circles, my record was 140 individual dice rolled in a single turn. I killed two 'mechs by killing the pilot with one point headshots. I had something like 3LB20xs, four LB10xs, five LRM5s, and something like 25 ER Small Lasers, though all my old sheets are lost to the ages, so who knows what the armaments were exactly.

I still loving love the Cauldron Born, there any goon recommended loadouts?

Willfrey posted:

the builds most goons use are Small pulses + 3 artemis srm6's. or two large pulse four medium lasers. or dual gauss. or 3 uac5's anf lasers. regular twin UAC10's is probably fine. i am gay and use 2ppc and 4 medium lasers which i enjoy.

LRMs are to be avoided. All LBX in the game suck I never see em in teir 1/2 drops
Well, switching to UAC10s aint the worst thing. It'd save some weight for lasers, too. Shame about LRMs, though. They were a staple of my old CBT days. Is the Ebon worth it in the end, though?

Also, I cant install Mumble to save my live, some "QTPlugins is not a valid short file name" bullshit.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 3, 2016

• Locked thread