Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

What should I look for when updating a mod? The one I tossed together only adds cultures with retinues and some cultural names for provinces, plus some melting pot events.
There's some "seafarer = yes" entries for the Nordic cultures, which I'm not sure what that's about just yet.

Bookmarks are organized slightly differently now, with recommended rulers now put into a bookmark with a "selectable_character = { id = XXXX }" entry rather than the older single-line thing going on before. There's some fancier stuff that can be done with it, judging by the revised Charlemagne bookmark entry, but all that's necessary really is that selectable_character = { id } thing, seems like.

If you have any files in /interface, double-check those. There's at least additions in decision_icons.gfx and generalstuff.gfx.

If your copy of CK2 is older, just go into the game directory itself, open up the folders, sort by date modified and see what files were changed today that way, if you really want to go all-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dallan Invictus posted:

The basic rule of thumb is "if you've changed a file in your mod that a subsequent patch also changes, your mod needs to mirror the patch's changes or poo poo will start acting weird".

If your cultures and retinues are on their own in their own file then you probably won't need to do anything unless the patch changed something in the structure of those files (I haven't checked because someone else is handling that on the CK2+ compatch). For cultural names, same thing- if landed_titles changed you'll want to mirror those changes there. Your melting pot events should be fine though.

Not nearly enough of them are, a lot of the cultures are in vanilla groups. drat. Wish I knew what changed in the files, just to make it easier to find out what I need to tweak.

Edit:

Ofaloaf posted:

There's some "seafarer = yes" entries for the Nordic cultures, which I'm not sure what that's about just yet.

Bookmarks are organized slightly differently now, with recommended rulers now put into a bookmark with a "selectable_character = { id = XXXX }" entry rather than the older single-line thing going on before. There's some fancier stuff that can be done with it, judging by the revised Charlemagne bookmark entry, but all that's necessary really is that selectable_character = { id } thing, seems like.

If you have any files in /interface, double-check those. There's at least additions in decision_icons.gfx and generalstuff.gfx.

If your copy of CK2 is older, just go into the game directory itself, open up the folders, sort by date modified and see what files were changed today that way, if you really want to go all-out.

"seafarer = yes" has been in for a bit, I remember it when I was adding Norse melting pot cultures. I haven't messed with any of the bookmark files or in the /interface folder, so I should be good there. I checked the modification date and a lot of the stuff was modified so... ehh...

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 3, 2016

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Can Glitterhoof get the Seduction focus? :ohdear:

edit: Can you land Glitterhoof, then console switch to play him/her?

Coward fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 3, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

"seafarer = yes" has been in for a bit, I remember it when I was adding Norse melting pot cultures.
haha welp, that's one thing that's been missing from gothlp then :v:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Children do seem much lighter on traits now. Not sure if that's WAD or not.

Probably intentional really.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

a peasant rebel leader conquering Rome, becoming its Prince-Bishop and ousting the Pope.

This doesn't sound like a bug to me, just sounds like crusader_kings.txt

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

additional point: can you bang a horse?

Yes you can, I don't kink shame

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groogy posted:

A+ Caligula simulator, then!

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Why has the steppes suddenly become so... white?

It looks like the Turkish, Persian and Italian/Spanish portraits all got lightened up. The Turkish portraits have even lighter skin than the default western ones now. Dont know how/why this happened.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

catlord posted:

Not nearly enough of them are, a lot of the cultures are in vanilla groups. drat. Wish I knew what changed in the files, just to make it easier to find out what I need to tweak.

If you're using Winmerge (and if you're not, why not?), roll back to 2.4.5, make a copy of your game install directory, then roll forward to 2.5 and use WinMerge to compare the two versions of the directory - you'll then be able to see the differences between the changed files in a neat organized way.

(why yes that is what I've been doing all evening)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it just my game or does nearly every catholic kingdom end up elective within a few decades now? I'm not sure if it's more effective faction revolts (I haven't actually spotted a major revolt for elective succession in progress) or if the AI sometimes switches to elective on purpose.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Groogy posted:

Says the guy who takes down prisoner rape mods :mad:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hexal posted:

It looks like the Turkish, Persian and Italian/Spanish portraits all got lightened up. The Turkish portraits have even lighter skin than the default western ones now. Dont know how/why this happened.

Old Turkish portraits looked like rotting zombies. This was just overcompensating.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a way to hack an ironman save to change realm laws? I loaded up my old save and it defaulted all of the realm laws to gavelkind with minimal women's rights. I want to hack it back to the ag-cog ultimo viceroyalty paradise it was before the patch. I can wait it since my ruler is 20 but waiting a decade to change each piece is dumb since I already went through the pain of switching realm laws.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Says the guy who takes down prisoner rape mods :mad:

But isn't that basically just forcing someone in your dungeon to become your concubine as a Norse ruler? (Christ, don't tell me people have actually gone in-depth with that sort of thing, in their mods...)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Four-dot education outcomes seem pretty rare right now, which is... pretty good, actually? I've had hardly any three-dots, either. There's a real dearth of talent in the kingdom and I'm loving it.

And it looks like the education system is 100% event driven and moddable now. :getin:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there a way to hack an ironman save to change realm laws? I loaded up my old save and it defaulted all of the realm laws to gavelkind with minimal women's rights. I want to hack it back to the ag-cog ultimo viceroyalty paradise it was before the patch. I can wait it since my ruler is 20 but waiting a decade to change each piece is dumb since I already went through the pain of switching realm laws.
Nope. This is why you keep saves on their original patch level.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Four-dot education outcomes seem pretty rare right now, which is... pretty good, actually? I've had hardly any three-dots, either. There's a real dearth of talent in the kingdom and I'm loving it.

And it looks like the education system is 100% event driven and moddable now. :getin:

Checking the event code,

• A child with incapable, imbecile or inbred, or that has no education focus set, cannot get anything better than a one-dot result
  • Genius and quick make good results much more likely, but diligent and appropriate childhood traits are more important; hard-work and specific aptitude beats raw talent
  • Having both helpful childhood traits or both hindering ones has a much larger effect than one on its own
  • If you lose a childhood trait while you're being educated it doesn't matter; you get the bonus or the penalty if you've ever had the trait.
  • Slothful also hurts your outcomes, but a little less than diligent improves them.
  • Nothing else matters.

Given the spread of childhood focuses, this seems to mean that its easier to get good outcomes in martial than other education paths (thanks Struggle). And makes diligent educators even more important than they were.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Not gonna lie I'm taking babysteps with Conclave. My first game with Conclave is Venice. I immediately traded favors for council support to get them to vote yes on abolishing council powers, which is fine since I promptly murdered every single person I now owed a favor to. Now the Doge has an iron grip on the republic's laws.

Next I think I'm gonna do nomads, then tribal (W. African prolly), then feudal, then iqta. I think that's a good path to get used to the new mechanics gradually. After that I'm gonna go balls to the wall and do the Byzantine Empire :getin:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Groogy posted:

Because it is their job to be a dickhead and your job to persuade them to not be a dickhead.
My fav expansion in a nutshell. Welcome to internal politics.

Or you replace them all with Horses and they will forever be loyal to you. (seriously Glitterhoof is scripted to always be loyal to you because Glitterhoof is awesome.)

Somehow they all owed favours to the one Malcontent on the Council

gently caress

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

Somehow they all owed favours to the one Malcontent on the Council

gently caress

Yeah they'll do that. I think malcontents will intentionally buy favours from other people on the council specifically to gently caress you over.

TomViolence posted:

The Charlemagne start very quickly has all of Europe and North Africa uniting in a grand rainbow coalition against the Karling blob. Charlemagne is a bellicose, swaggering bellend, but I really doubt he had the power to have Christians, Muslims and Pagans set aside their differences just to fight him off.

Yeah I noticed that happening too. I think the big wars that the Charlemange events trigger end up adding a ton of infamy - The invasion of Saxony apparently added over 100% just on its own.

Other random thoughts:
-It would be nice if there was some kind of portrait icon if you owe someone a favour, or they owe you one.
-It would also be nice if there was a button to automatically/randomly assign a childhood focus/education focus on a kid, so you could quickly set up children you don't actually care about with an education.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 3, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Should I be giving my children educators still? I was just using the button to give them a focus.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Also the new merc mechanics are awesome. I set up the Venezian Band and have been giving the current captain everything he needs, while making sure the current captain has a solid martial stat. The band is steadily growing and has now reached 106 men. The year is only 781 so I hope it keeps growing until my cut of their profits is a sizable chunk. I do wish I could give them Pallestrina and vassalize them though, but there's no option to grant them a title.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 3, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Should I be giving my children educators still? I was just using the button to give them a focus.

Apparently they don't really do anything anymore other than give opinion bonuses.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was seeing if I could hold ERE together in an ironman game it's had some real loving rough spots but's kinda stabilized now. I took a big chunk of land in a holy war and went to dole it out only to find out the malcontent on the council had called in favors with everyone and wanted that land for himself. So I said gently caress him and just took the penalties for 3 years until his favors were up. Later on I got an event to imprison him. I threw him in the oublette.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It seems like preparing invasions isn't giving you any troops.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Apparently they don't really do anything anymore other than give opinion bonuses.

I think kids still pick up personality traits from them but that's it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Also, uh, what.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What am I looking at.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
His in menu levies are less than the levies he fielded

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

What am I looking at.

the army on the map has over 1,000 more men than the character page says he should have.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Maybe that's a new effect of the Paranoid trait? :haw:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

-It would be nice if there was some kind of portrait icon if you owe someone a favour, or they owe you one.

It does show you that when you mouse over their portrait, right?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Just got the new expansion!! How do I increase Tribal Organization now? I can't seem to find it under realm laws.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is the number of "most powerful vassals" fixed in place somehow, like a Top Five? I didn't get a chance to check.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I noticed a weird bit of AI fuckery. A king-level sultan controlling the duchies of Cyrenaica and Tunisia, with me controlling the stretch between them, had an adventurer invasion that lasted about 20 years and would have gone on longer if I hadn't intervened. The adventurer managed to occupy a province in Tunisia before, I assume, getting beaten and retreating to Benghazi. He didn't have enough troops to effectively besiege Benghazi so he just stood there. Meanwhile, the Sultan's army, which was about 6 times his size, just kept marching back and forth between the province right before Benghazi and the province right before the occupied province. For about 20 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
non aggression pacts are bullshit. i divorced my characters wife that he started the game with and i guess i'm still in a non aggression pact with some rear end in a top hat who was related to her and is now camping on my 3rd holy site.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

sdr782 posted:

Is the Horse Lords DLC worth it? I've only recently started playing this game and have most of the other DLC packs from past steam sales. Is Horse Lords worth the price at 50% off?

When it came out, it made the Mongols ridiculously overpowered to the point where there wasn't any fun or challenge in curbstomping Europe.

Supposedly thev've been nerfed with Conclave / the new patch, but I couldn't comment on that. Overall, Horse Lords is one of the weaker expansions and there is no reason to buy it if you don't intend to play as Nomads.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 3, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So, what are the interesting government names around? (the ones displayed in the Laws menu)

I think I managed to find them all in the files but I may have missed some:

Danelaw, Crusader State/Kingdom, Aztec Colony, Duchy/Kingdom of the Sun, Carolingan Hegemony, Kingdom of Terror (I have no idea what would give this), Ikh Mongol Uls and Romuvan Eldership.

Edit: There's also Anarchy, but that's a debug default.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 3, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

DrSunshine posted:

Just got the new expansion!! How do I increase Tribal Organization now? I can't seem to find it under realm laws.

It's there, you just need to be of at least duchy level before it shows I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Played the crap out of this DLC all evening. Holy crap, the new kid education system owns.

• Locked thread