Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Well I want to summit El Capitan or Half Dome, so any kind of snow cover will be a problem. I might be able to drive through the loop and gawk at it on the way to Death Valley. I had no idea the roads are plowed that well, everyone here is warning me about getting snow tires and chains and a four wheel drive car and probably one of those Russian screw-track tanks.

e: in general after the Bay my plan is really wide open because of weather conditions/my own mental fortitude in continuing the trip/whatever other factor, so I don't have anything specific beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Happy to see some Ventura County chat in the thread! I moved away last June and I MISS my favorite places to eat like Snapper Jack's Taco Shack.

Oxnard is a pretty cool town, but folks in Camarillo and Thousand Oaks are terrified of it because of Mexicans. Pretty hilarious, honestly.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TheModernAmerican posted:

. I had no idea the roads are plowed that well, everyone here is warning me about getting snow tires and chains and a four wheel drive car and probably one of those Russian screw-track tanks.

It's really not that bad if you have any experience driving in snow. A lot of folks around here don't though and the roads are single lane with no guard rail. If you slip off the road, you could be having a very bad day.

Carry chains and use them when necessary. Also, don't be that rear end in a top hat driving 80mph because your Subaru has awd and is therefore indestructible

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I'm in a Toyota Avalon and I'm doing it by myself. I'm really good at driving in the snow, but I'd like to survive the trip. I'll keep an eye on conditions, but I doubt I'll do it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is an appointment at the DMV required to get a CA license if you moved in from out of state? They're telling me I have a limited amount of time to get a license and register my car, but I go to make an appointment and there's nothing for over a month.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is an appointment at the DMV required to get a CA license if you moved in from out of state? They're telling me I have a limited amount of time to get a license and register my car, but I go to make an appointment and there's nothing for over a month.

That sounds about right. You can try multiple locations and see if there's one sooner.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Speedboat Jones posted:

Happy to see some Ventura County chat in the thread! I moved away last June and I MISS my favorite places to eat like Snapper Jack's Taco Shack.

Oxnard is a pretty cool town, but folks in Camarillo and Thousand Oaks are terrified of it because of Mexicans. Pretty hilarious, honestly.

In the LA thread people were like "You want to live in TO instead of Oxnard if you're commuting to Camarillo because traffic."

Yeah. The two cities are equidistant apart, there's a big gently caress-off mountain in between T.O. and Camarillo with no good ways to get around it if traffic is bad, and the rents are higher. But they wanted the guy to move there because traffic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

No, you can show up and wait all day.
Or find the nearest podunk DMV and go there. Doesn't even need to be that far away -- i went to the burbs at lunch and got a reservation the next day when the central locations were booked solid.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

nm posted:

Or find the nearest podunk DMV and go there. Doesn't even need to be that far away -- i went to the burbs at lunch and got a reservation the next day when the central locations were booked solid.

Yea the usual advice is to just head a ways out from densely populated areas and find a smaller DMV, they're less mobbed.

Also, I put off doing this for quite a while and recall a) being somewhat anxious about missing the deadline but b) they never so much as checked when I'd actually moved v:v:v

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RandomPauI posted:

In the LA thread people were like "You want to live in TO instead of Oxnard if you're commuting to Camarillo because traffic."

Yeah. The two cities are equidistant apart, there's a big gently caress-off mountain in between T.O. and Camarillo with no good ways to get around it if traffic is bad, and the rents are higher. But they wanted the guy to move there because traffic.
The last time I lived near that area that was actually not bad advice. Thats how bad traffic through Ventura-Oxnard-Camarillo had gotten on the 101. More and more people were trying to use the single-lane back way through Saticoy to not deal with it.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

nm posted:

Seconding this. Depending on how far you can go and how much time you have, you may even be able to get an appointment the next day if you are willing to drive. Keep querying the system for different locations. Of course, if you are driving through LA or anywhere with traffic, make sure you take it into account.

I had an appointment at 10:50 am and I was talking to people by 11 am. From my estimate, the walk-in line would have probably taken at least an hour or two if I were lucky.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

The last time I lived near that area that was actually not bad advice. Thats how bad traffic through Ventura-Oxnard-Camarillo had gotten on the 101. More and more people were trying to use the single-lane back way through Saticoy to not deal with it.

It's got to be a personal preference thing then because the only time traffic's really bothered me on the 101 there as a rule has been Friday afternoons. And if it's bad 101 Ventura-Oxnard-Camarillo and I know where the trouble is I can usually bypass it without being very inconvenienced.

But when I'm stuck in traffic on the 101 northbound from T.O. I have to make a decision to either tough it out thru the Conejo Grade or take one of two steep, windy mountain roads. I hate stop-and-go on the former and hate the sheer mountain sides on the latter.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bitprophet posted:

Also, I put off doing this for quite a while and recall a) being somewhat anxious about missing the deadline but b) they never so much as checked when I'd actually moved v:v:v
We too missed the deadline and they didn't say anything when we got it transferred over.

They did tack on the late fees with nondescript lines in the itemization tho.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

People in SoCal want you to make the same mistakes they made.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Who else is pumped for super bloom?

My sister rarely travels, but she wants to go with me to Death Valley for the Super Bloom. I am thinking it would be amazing to go over memorial day weekend so we can also see a little bit of LA, especially since we've never been.

The NPS website says that the wildflowers will bloom at mid elevation in May. Is there a risk that the wildflowers might die out as it gets hotter? In that case I'm thinking we should go in April.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
This might be a stupid question but I'm going on a bachelors party to LA in June and the groom-to-be is a big American sports fan. My research suggests the only season at that time is baseball (which is actually perfect) but I see the LA Dodgers are playing the Brewers on the 16th, 17th and 18th of June. Does this mean they're playing 3 games or is it 1 game spread over 3 days? If it's the latter does that mean it's possible that the game will be finished in the first two days and won't be on on the 18th? Maybe a daft question I know :shobon:

Also, is it relatively easy to get tickets? Can we just turn up or are we better off booking online beforehand? There will be at least 10 of us.

Thanks in advance :)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Baseball doesn't do multi-day matches like cricket or Quidditch; that's three separate games. Booking ahead of time will always be more reliable than buying tickets on the day of the game, especially for groups.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

duckmaster posted:

This might be a stupid question but I'm going on a bachelors party to LA in June and the groom-to-be is a big American sports fan. My research suggests the only season at that time is baseball (which is actually perfect) but I see the LA Dodgers are playing the Brewers on the 16th, 17th and 18th of June. Does this mean they're playing 3 games or is it 1 game spread over 3 days? If it's the latter does that mean it's possible that the game will be finished in the first two days and won't be on on the 18th? Maybe a daft question I know :shobon:

Also, is it relatively easy to get tickets? Can we just turn up or are we better off booking online beforehand? There will be at least 10 of us.

Thanks in advance :)

Separate games. Baseball clubs just play entire series against each other at once due to the timing and rigors of travel.

Some bat games (like cricket) actually do occasionally play a game over multiple days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The US's national professional soccer season will also be running. Here's a web page with the LA Galaxy's schedule:
http://www.lagalaxy.com/schedule

Looks like they'll have two home games in June, on the 2nd and the 22nd.

Famous Arsenal/Chelsea defender Ashley Cole is on the team, you might know of him.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 29, 2016

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
We're from the UK so football soccer in the US is of no interest to us. It has to be a proper American sport with people shouting "woo go sports team" and guys in paper hats throwing hot dogs through the air at us. Also beer in plastic cups and one of those 'Kiss Cam' things.

Thanks for the responses, I know virtually nothing about baseball so didn't want to screw this one up!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you have too much trouble getting into a Dodger game (you shouldn't), you can also try for a semi-pro or collegiate team in the area. A lot of college players will join a team during the summer, to stay in shape. These teams play in small stadiums and can have a cozier vibe.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

duckmaster posted:

We're from the UK so football soccer in the US is of no interest to us. It has to be a proper American sport with people shouting "woo go sports team" and guys in paper hats throwing hot dogs through the air at us. Also beer in plastic cups and one of those 'Kiss Cam' things.

Thanks for the responses, I know virtually nothing about baseball so didn't want to screw this one up!

that describes US soccer, although a fair amount of the shouting may be in Spanish.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
American sports in general have a big reputation for putting on a proper show for games in a way that the rest of the world just can't. I'm inclined to go for the biggest game possible to get that experience (would have loved to go to the Lakers but they won't be playing) although a semi pro game would be a good option for our first evening when we're all jet lagged and need a gentler introduction to America.

I also see LA has a horse racing course, is that worth going to? We have the usual list of must sees (Hollwood walk of fame, Venice beach, the studios), is there anything else we shouldn't miss? We've only got four days before we go to Vegas.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Dodger stadium is one of the largest stadiums in baseball and the Brewers project to be one of the worst teams this year, so tickets will be easy to acquire. If I were you I'd post in the MLB news thread in SAS and let some of the Dodgers fans there help you choose where to sit. Beware, the traffic is the stuff of nightmares.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If you want to go 8 hours north and money ain't a thing, the Golden State Warriors should be playing in the NBA finals barring some horrific upset somewhere around those dates. You might just miss them, but it's likely there will be a game or two remaining. They are currently on track to be the greatest basketball team to ever play (via regular season record) and are the current favorite by far to win the championship. They feature the greatest shooter alive-or-dead at point guard who can fire from 30 feet out, so it's must-see basketball. Their arena is small but a legendarily raucous place to play.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 1, 2016

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah a Dodgers game against the Brewers could definitely be a snoozer. More of a get drunk over a slow afternoon than a raucous American sports experience. I guess they'd be different types of American sports experiences.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

duckmaster posted:

American sports in general have a big reputation for putting on a proper show for games in a way that the rest of the world just can't.

I think you might be a little disappointed. LA isn't the south. There will be no B52 bomber, marching band, and fireworks. Just don't wear the opposing team's jersey or colors.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toe Rag posted:

I think you might be a little disappointed. LA isn't the south. There will be no B52 bomber, marching band, and fireworks. Just don't wear the opposing team's jersey or colors.

If you wear a giants jersey to a dodgers game, it will be a memory you won't forget unless you get brain damage.

Baseball games are great, but remember it will mostly be kinda slow and filled with beer and occasionally yelling at the ump.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys, I think he can go to the Dodgers game and have a fine time regardless of the lopsidedness of the score. Getting Warriors playoff/finals tickets would cost thousands of dollars, and he's spending four days in LA, so going to SF to see a sports game would be kind of crazy.

Also it's totally fine to wear the opposing team's colors. You might get a few ribs and stuff but this is an English person you're talking to: they have football violence. What we have is pathetic in comparison. He's not even going to be physically assaulted! Not that it matters, because come on, they're foreigners coming to visit and go to a Dodgers game, they're going to buy Dodgers stuff right there at the stadium.

It's fun. Have a watery, overpriced, mass-produced terrible American beer or two, eat some peanuts and crackerjack and a hot dog, do the Seventh Inning Stretch, clap along with the music with the crowd, enjoy the day.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And sorry about "God Bless America," if they play it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Guys, I think he can go to the Dodgers game and have a fine time regardless of the lopsidedness of the score. Getting Warriors playoff/finals tickets would cost thousands of dollars, and he's spending four days in LA, so going to SF to see a sports game would be kind of crazy.

Also it's totally fine to wear the opposing team's colors. You might get a few ribs and stuff but this is an English person you're talking to: they have football violence. What we have is pathetic in comparison. He's not even going to be physically assaulted! Not that it matters, because come on, they're foreigners coming to visit and go to a Dodgers game, they're going to buy Dodgers stuff right there at the stadium.

It's fun. Have a watery, overpriced, mass-produced terrible American beer or two, eat some peanuts and crackerjack and a hot dog, do the Seventh Inning Stretch, clap along with the music with the crowd, enjoy the day.

One thing to note is that you may want to watch out for 'Irish' pubs. A couple of the ones in my area had a problem with third-generation Americans of "Irish descent" getting schnockered and starting poo poo with brits, especially in the days leading up to the 17th.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Well... It seems the American reputation for endless positivity and optimism doesn't extend to Californian sport fans!

The schedule for the Friday game says there is a fireworks display on that night; plus the tradition of singing "take me to the ball game" and doing that "stretchy" thing (I've done my research) is so far removed from the experience of a football game in the UK that it already sounds incredibly American to me. We don't do the national anthem, except for cup finals and internationals, so that's another Big American Thing we want to see. Even when we do so it it's often so politically loaded that they play as little as possible as quickly as possible, and if they tried it with soldiers carrying a British flag it would probably start a riot.

Even getting food from a guy walking around isn't something we do, and the idea of alcohol at a game in the UK? Hahahaha. Hahahahahahahahaha. HahaahahaHaha!!! I'm obviously gutted there won't be a bomber flying ahead (quite how you have enough planes in your Air Force to even be able to do that is beyond me) but whilst the whole thing says "boring baseball game" to you guys it just screams "AMERICA" to me. So we're definitely going.

Where I come from driving 8 hours means you might as well be in another country, so that's out.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We'll buy Dodgers shirts, drink bud light, stand up for the anthem, eat a hot dog and a Cracker Jack (whatever the hell that is), sing along to the screen and try and pay attention to what is going on on the field (I don't care what the score is but would like to see a home run). I'm sure it'll be great and if it's not we can just leave early and beat the traffic.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

One thing to note is that you may want to watch out for 'Irish' pubs. A couple of the ones in my area had a problem with third-generation Americans of "Irish descent" getting schnockered and starting poo poo with brits, especially in the days leading up to the 17th.

I live in the west of Scotland. There isn't a roll eyes big enough for this one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

duckmaster posted:

quite how you have enough planes in your Air Force to even be able to do that is beyond me

There's even a special squadron of planes dedicated just to flying around looking cool! They're not even in our Air Force, but in our Navy!

:patriot:

Sound like you guys will have a quintessential American experience!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

By the way either get really good seats (along first or third base line or behind home. Fairy close).
Or get bleacher seats.
No point in middle ground. The bleachers are fun in their own right.

KoB
May 1, 2009

duckmaster posted:

Where I come from driving 8 hours means you might as well be in another country, so that's out.

Depending on which direction you go, you wouldnt even leave California!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Depending on what time of day, you might not even leave Los Angeles!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

There's even a special squadron of planes dedicated just to flying around looking cool! They're not even in our Air Force, but in our Navy!

:patriot:

Sound like you guys will have a quintessential American experience!

And if you told someone the Marines , coast guard, and army had their own squads solely devoted to airshows you'd have people believe you because those branches all have sizeable numbers of aircraft.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CPColin posted:

Depending on what time of day, you might not even leave Los Angeles!

Fun thing I love telling furriners about LA.
The borders of the "greater LA area" are basically Banning and Ventura. Those are 150 miles apart by car.
This is further than driving across the UK from Liverpool to Hull.

When we lived outside of York, we'd tell the neighbors we were going to the sea, and they'd ask how long we'd be there and were shocked when we'd say "Oh we'll be back tonight." This was a journey of 40 loving miles each way. I commuted longer each way when I lived in SoCal (which admittedly sucked).

Cracker Jacks are awesome (sweet popcorn with peanuts). Our beer (not Bud) is also better than yours. Don't drink bud unless it is your only choice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

duckmaster posted:

we can just leave early and beat the traffic.
The most American part of your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

The most American part of your post

No, this is the most SoCal part of the post.

• Locked thread