Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why does CIG need feedback from a guy who has harassed people for asking questions about Star Citizen's design?

I was kinda joking. I don't know how much anyone notices my comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Quite the opposite. I appreciate meaningful feedback on my own work, and try to offer specifics to others, both the things I wouldn't want to change, and the things that can be improved.

Point to one thing thats in the "game" that you helped with?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I have used Shotgun in a production environment.
Basically it is a web-based front end that is designed to act as a production tracker and asset manager. It's meant to work alongside your fileserver and provide a platform independent way to view and access assets. So for instance it would have APIs and plugins that generate thumbnails of files or automatically generate low res movies from exported sequences. You can also set it up as a client delivery system so they can watch it with you while teleconferencing and making notes lives.

It was first developed for use in the visual effects industry where it's invaluable for tracking versions of assets and allowing for notes and revisions from supervisors and so forth as well as being able to get integrated into programs so things get exported with correct naming conventions. It's main draw are it's playback features where you can pick and choose shots or image sequences to run though for dailies.

For an actual film it's good for dalies and edit reviews with some use in pre if you happen to be on a film that needs a ton of concept art and the director needs a way to see and review things.

Despite it's FX origins it isn't unusual to use it in games, however you would most likely be using it for asset creation and project tracking and planning. It could potentially have a plugin created so you can tell it to load a Cryengine cutscene and play it back .

You get an idea of how Star Citizen uses this with some darling quotes.

quote:

Shotgun is also used to facilitate the studio’s review process which is critical to the development of Star Citizen because the studio is constantly issuing new updates as part of their commitment to transparency with their crowd-sourced backers. Though the game is not officially scheduled to launch until sometime in late 2015 , a steady stream of pre-alpha versions are continually released.
They don't seem to use it more than to review assets and any rendered out videos - which kind of is the norm in any studio.

It would be amusing if this implied that any progress of the game was internally shown in pre-rendered clips in order to hide the severity of problems popping up . This could explain why Roberts had no idea about how bad his actual game was in motion.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kramjacks posted:

What areas of their work do you give feedback on? I assume the ship modeling, anything else?

Mostly just concept art. I admittedly don't pay attention to much else.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CrazyTolradi posted:

The fact that there's 25 artist roles that CIG cannot fill at https://www.cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs is probably why they're getting feedback from random scrubs who'll do design work for jpegs.

Maybe, but that just raises the question. Why is Fuzzy Modem doing those jobs for free rather than, you know, being paid actual money and not living in a shithole like Alaska?

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I was kinda joking. I don't know how much anyone notices my comments.

You think bullying someone is a joke? That's pretty hosed up dude.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Maybe, but that just raises the question. Why is Fuzzy Modem doing those jobs for free rather than, you know, being paid actual money and not living in a shithole like Alaska.

Because he's using Chris Roberts as a reference, clearly.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Fuzzy Modem posted:

that's ok, I don't think anyone there does either

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

WebDog posted:

It would be amusing if this implied that any progress of the game was internally shown in pre-rendered clips in order to hide the severity of problems popping up . This could explain why Roberts had no idea about how bad his actual game was in motion.

Scamming C-Ro out of a paycheck with minimal work invested while ensuring the project crashes and fails? Almost noble, excepting the source of the paycheck funds.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Quite the opposite. I appreciate meaningful feedback on my own work, and try to offer specifics to others, both the things I wouldn't want to change, and the things that can be improved.

The physical shield on your ship is quite silly. Are you supposed to turn your ship right in order to be able to take a stab from one of the stabby ships?

But the real problem with your ship is that the whole modular catamaran system is too obvious of a cash-grab. Not even CIG would go with something that blatant, and they designed the Endeavor.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

To be fair that is the main body of work of SC.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Kramjacks posted:

Why does fuzzy modem have access to CIG's shotgun stuff anyway. How does that system work?

I think they um...forgot to take him off

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

I think they um...forgot to take him off

Someone should be a good Samaritan and remind them.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

The physical shield on your ship is quite silly. Are you supposed to turn your ship right in order to be able to take a stab from one of the stabby ships?

No. Just decouple.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

Behold the Stimperor !

He is due an office visit on Friday

boy george sure let himself go

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Crikey. He even mush-mouthedly mumbles in his signature.

(Mine is about that bad, but I am not a mumbly con man with delusions of grandeur.)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Skoll posted:

This is the Naval Action SA thread. We play on EU PVP 1 as Pirates. If you get it, let me know and I will get you into GAY.

I've waited my whole life for someone to make that offer.

It's next on my list once I've finished gorging myself on xcom 2.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

trucutru posted:

But the real problem with your ship is that the whole modular catamaran system is too obvious of a cash-grab. Not even CIG would go with something that blatant, and they designed the Endeavor.

The idea of a ramming ship is completely nonsensical since the "blade" would get trashed after the first or second impact, but in the case it's some sort of feasible structure, then a shield of sorts would be the logical response besides moving faster. However, this would necessitate a shield that covered multiple angles of attack such as from in front and above and below and behind and from the opposite side. Depending on how those physical shields work though, it may as well be just as useful to use them as an impact weapon to ram opponents as well.

Frankly, it's stupid to design weapons and new systems in a game whose mechanical engine isn't even completely finalized. A melee spaceship might be completely viable or utter garbage and it should be obvious from the mechanics if that's the case.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNh8Z-ILcI

I'm hoping you threw this away to productively rework your lovely premise and footage

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofR-R_rFJ0

Chris roberts is the ravens cry!!11!!!!1

Best pirate game ever (it isn't) but if you decide to play it don't patch it unless you get to the game breaking bugs. Which is pretty much the whole game.

If star marine is in the game, and can be "turned on" like a switch, how come it isn't?

Same goes for the boarding procedures, also where is the 100 star systems that were supposed to be in the alpha?

No one has any answers.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm hoping you threw this away to productively rework your lovely premise and footage

To a large extent, yes I did. This is where I leave though, as I know exactly what you guys will say about my silly little low budget sci-fi vs fantasy film (that I'm actually quite proud of.) Again, I get that's why this place exists. Bye.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

no one is safe from the stimpire, commando

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fuzzy Modem posted:

To a large extent, yes I did. This is where I leave though, as I know exactly what you guys will think of my silly little low budget sci-fi vs fantasy film. Again, I get that's why this place exists. Bye.
Seems like someone needs a new hobby ;)

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Fuzzy Modem posted:

To a large extent, yes I did. This is where I leave though, as I know exactly what you guys will say about my silly little low budget sci-fi vs fantasy film (that I'm actually quite proud of.) Again, I get that's why this place exists. Bye.

oh c'mon Fuzzy we just started having fun at you.. I mean having fun at the moment. stay stay and post post this thread will be monolithic if people like you would leave.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

honestly the idea of spaceships being used as big jousting melee weapons is - in my head - kind of cool.

at worst it is at least a concious design decision that has strange and potentially cool ramifications for the universe the ships exist in, and it is novel, which is more than the ships in SC have.

but gently caress all that; stop playing cute fuzzy modem and at least have the balls to engage with beer4tbg directly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was just randomly emptyquoting while catching up on the thread after a latenight snack, I didn't realize it would be apropos.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Please don't miss this opportunity to defend your great cinematic venture

Did Chris coach you on the dialog shots? There's a reason they're not shot like that you know

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

You need a Kryptonium account to see this post.

You need to have an e:f,b account or be Mrs. Lowtax to see this post.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Fuzzy Modem posted:

your project sucks and your not chris roberts

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Fuzzy Modem posted:

No ones gonna trash your low budget movie dude. They are gonna trash your statements about star citizen though! It's quite fine to be proud of making something like that and the world would be a better place if more people did. Heck its better than the poo poo those hack frauds put out over at uhhh channel awesome I think it was. The nerd guy and stuff.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
also you may understand some peoples frustration when you become another crowd funding failure

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, where are the rest of the ships? The ones that have supposedly taken 2 plus years to develop and still aren't finished?

Where is the "constant pirate swarm battles, and rich planet side landings that exist in the PU"

100 players to an instance?

Wheres that stuff too?

Oh look we can play this game alright, you get some comms mission to <<use>>, theres like 8 copy and paste of the same, and you can fps, if you can get there without the game crashing or falling through the floor, or the elevator not working.

BDSGE.yfhcdkbckhgd with a kitchen sink simulator built in, amirite?

I used to be like the beer guy but the missed dates and BS piled up, star citizen is lipstick on a pig, with crash reports.

paaarppp

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

Tbh, if I wanted space ants, I'd just play more FTL. But I'm one of those insane weirdos who never really liked xcom. :ohdear:
What if I told you Star Citizen is going to provide "the best combat experience on the simulated battlefield + your remote controllable Space Ant"?

Because it might, if the rumors ive been hearing are true...

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Again, if Beer (or anyone else) was an employee, he can name his Shotgun page, and I can go look at the quality of his work, and what Sandi, and everyone else, had to say about it.
:mmmhmm:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Ramadu posted:

No ones gonna trash your low budget movie dude.
lol

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What I really want to know though is how the PvP slider works, it's been talked about here a lot but no one knows.

So if you don't want to PVP you slide it there and like you are immune and only pirates can pirate etc?

Sounds like fun.

said no one ever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ok well I guess I was wrong, whoops.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

-I like criticism.
-Whoa! criticism incoming! better bolt!

Thanks...little.sister.
I am two months older.
I am six inches taller.

This is the kind of talk I always have with my sis.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 3, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:laffo:

This is pretty god awful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

What if I told you Star Citizen is going to provide "the best combat experience on the simulated battlefield + your remote controllable Space Ant"?

Because it might, if the rumors ive been hearing are true...

Then I'd look at Chris' track record and other pre-existing evidence and immediately conclude that I'll still be playing FTL. Or It Came From the Desert — it's more in line with the kind of game Chris wants to produce.

Especially given those rumours, since we all know where those get started. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

trucutru posted:

-I like criticism.
-Whoa! criticism incoming! better bolt!

star citizen backer logic, implanted since October 2012

• Locked thread